Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23621 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman Kills

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jeremy1989

Now let's just get one thing clear, Batman has killed before, whether it's canon or not.

All I'm saying is what if Batman does cross that line and kills someone?

Would that define his character or ruin him?

For example, Batman tries to stop a criminal he uses a gadget, but accidentally kills someone.

Two things would happen.

Either he gives up being Batman for good

or

He gives up being Batman for good, but his friends tries to convince him that the worlds needs Batman. Bruce tries to seek redemption.

These are just opinion, don't start flaming me okay? Or start flaming, I don't care.

Tell me what you think?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would most definitely quit for a while but I believe he would come back eventually

Avatar image for theformermarionettegeist
    Theformermarionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it depends on the situation. If Batman kills someone by accident (like a murderer, while he was trying to catch him) he would quit, but possible come back in the future (maybe). If he ever killed intentionally or in cold blood, he would never be Batman again. Even still an accidental (and undeniable) death of an innocent at his fault would probably make him give up the Batman mantle.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By Pokeysteve

I would love to read a story where he kills someone by accident. Maybe a miscalculation or something. It would be a really emotional story.

Has anything like that ever happened? @jashro44@god_spawn (the suggestions for your un are hilarious), @batman242

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@pokeysteve: When Robin almost killed Hal Jordan in ASBARBW, that was unintentionally hilarious and definitely not impactful or emotional. It was just plain dumb (along with the rest of that book).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve: I don't think a story exactly like that has happened but batman has killed people before in his earlier stories. Other than that he has killed whole under control of drugs and has been tricked into killing but I don't think those are in continuity and he never took responsibility or felt guilty about their deaths to the point that he quit being batman

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@pokeysteve: There was the occasion of him hanging that guy back in the earlier days of his comics, using guns, one time in the animated series he let a giant penny that Two-face was going to use to crush him land on two fleeing villains.

I don't keep up with comics like I try to, but it would actually make a nice story, but probably something fans wouldn't like to see at all.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By Pokeysteve

@pokeysteve: There was the occasion of him hanging that guy back in the earlier days of his comics, using guns, one time in the animated series he let a giant penny that Two-face was going to use to crush him land on two fleeing villains.

I don't keep up with comics like I try to, but it would actually make a nice story, but probably something fans wouldn't like to see at all.

I remember that. Even as a kid you're like wait a minute haha.

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In JL animated Deadman use his body to kill black manta I think after that batman throws a gun and leave

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt he'll stop being Batman, maybe for a while but if its not a AU then I don't see it being permanent. He'll probably get more training, won't stick around Gotham for a while or just deal the consequences as Batman.

DarkKnight1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DarkKnight1939

So noones saying that he would just turn himself in to the police? Given the circumstances (his secret identity and relationship with Gordon) they could keep it relatively secretive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkknight1939: Doubt it. Gordon upholds the law no matter what and has threatened to take batman in before so he probably wouldn't keep it secret if he even had the ability to. And if batman killed I don't think he would want to spend his days in prison. Even though he could break out any time he wanted to.

Plus if it was a bad guy it wouldnt be as bad considering cops kill bad guys.

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Detective Comics #613 entitled: "Trashed", Batman accidentally kills two thugs by knocking them into the back of a garbage truck and crushing them with the compactor.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Detective Comics #613 entitled: "Trashed", Batman accidentally kills two thugs by knocking them into the back of a garbage truck and crushing them with the compactor.

How did he react?

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremy1989: first of all: Spoiler.

The whole story kind of goes fubar. Everything falls apart in the end, including Batman arriving seconds too late and watching an innocent teenager being gunned down. His reaction to the two thugs being crushed is a look of horror, and there is a brief moment of contemplation, but the focus quickly switches to the innocent teenager as we see the father crying, holding his dead son.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16
    deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he has killed before. I mean he beats the sh!t out of Thugs an let don't put them in a hospital. I mean you can't be sure every thug survives a goddamn bat kick.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lifeofvibe

@batman242: i remember as well, and i was like "wait did batman just let them die?"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.