Batman in the Marvel Universe! What IF?

#1 Posted by Iron Apollo (2199 posts) - - Show Bio

It was once said that Batman could be a Marvel Character. That based on his powers, the way he is written, etc, that he would fit well in the Marvel U. I believe Frank Miller said this, correct me if I'm wrong. please.

So do you feel like Batman, as a character, as a concept, his storyline, etc, could fit in the Marvel Universe.

To me the obvious answer is yes, but maybe others might have valid reasons why it wouldn't.

This brings me to my next question, could his villains fit in the Marvel Universe?

Could or Would or Should "Gotham" be a different City than NYC?

How would they have fit in with the Civil War, and other BIG marvel events?

How would they (Batman and his Villains) interact with specific characters? Spider-Man, Iron Man, Capt. America, Moon Knight? or any other heroes or villains?

Post Edited:2008-02-08 02:07:11

#2 Posted by BlackPanther (511 posts) - - Show Bio

well batman in the marvel u? well one thing comes to my head... moon knight. honestly he fits in the marvels zoo as well as he dose in DC. his villains I also think fit because marvel can bend their powers to however they see fit and as for the joker i think he fits in the best because he hasn’t really got anything that would make you think he couldn’t of been made by marvel.

#3 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

i'd love to see him in marvel...

#4 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Could he? Yes, but I have a feeling other characters wouldn't exsit if he was, like Moon Knight.

#5 Posted by Iron Apollo (2199 posts) - - Show Bio

Very true Moon Knight would be out as would a few others. But I'm not sure that would be a bad thing.

Back to point, how would batman and his villains fit not bending their powers.

For example. How would the have fit into the Civil War scenario and others.
Post Edited:2008-02-08 02:01:45

#6 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84698 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman was in a Civil War type scenario in the DCU's "The Dark Knight Returns" (great story)

In the Marvel U he would have been Anti-Reg (hidden identity is kinda his whole deal) I think as a Marvel character they may focus on his methodical preparation and tactical prowess. Not sure how his rogues gallery would fit in though, people like the Punisher would just put a bullet in the Joker, Two Face, Penguin and so on.

#7 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Apollo says:

"Very true Moon Knight would be out as would a few others. But I'm not sure that would be a bad thing. Back to point, how would batman and his villains fit not bending their powers. For example. How would the have fit into the Civil War scenario and others.
Post Edited:2008-02-08 02:01:45"

so all of batman including his enemies would come over? i'd like the joker to come over... characters like bane are probably sorted in marvel. i personally think batman would think tony stark is a giant turd so he might not side with him cause of that

#8 Posted by Iron Apollo (2199 posts) - - Show Bio

good stuff, I added a few other questions, to my first post

#9 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Apollo says:

"Very true Moon Knight would be out as would a few others. But I'm not sure that would be a bad thing. Back to point, how would batman and his villains fit not bending their powers. For example. How would the have fit into the Civil War scenario and others.
Post Edited:2008-02-08 02:01:45"
Bats would probably be pro reg and his villians would be locked up probably.
#10 Posted by Iron Apollo (2199 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Batman was in a Civil War type scenario in the DCU's "The Dark Knight Returns" (great story)In the Marvel U he would have been Anti-Reg (hidden identity is kinda his whole deal) I think as a Marvel character they may focus on his methodical preparation and tactical prowess. Not sure how his rogues gallery would fit in though, people like the Punisher would just put a bullet in the Joker, Two Face, Penguin and so on."

your right to certain degrees, But in the DCU superman could pulverise all of Batman's Rogue gallery, but it would take all the fun away from reading Batman with out his deranged villains.

In the DCU every one is so powerful Batman doesn't really fit, well except now he's so smart so he does, but his villains don't, so it's kind of a catch 22.

#11 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

you could have gotham as a seperate city and then batman wouldn't have to adapt much at all... it couldn't be set in hells kitchen cause then he'd be dealing with daredevil/punisher and moonknight. tricky... where to put him?

#12 Posted by Iron Apollo (2199 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten gun says:

"you could have gotham as a seperate city and then batman wouldn't have to adapt much at all... it couldn't be set in hells kitchen cause then he'd be dealing with daredevil/punisher and moonknight. tricky... where to put him?"

I agree, but He would have to come to NYC I think after his own villains and stuff.

Also as Batman is always so involved with his own world, ie through Justice League among other ways. Would he be involved with the Avengers at all, or go to Reed Richards to discuss things,

If Gotham was fully integrated as another city in the Marvel U, what would have happened during the Age of Apocalypse, or with Mutants in Gotham, wow my minds blowing.

#13 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont see batman liking the politics that the avengers are dealing with... i personally think he's not even naturally suited in the JL... he's a natural loaner, maybe he'd pop in and out of teams like wolverine

#14 Posted by Buckshot (18919 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Batman was in a Civil War type scenario in the DCU's "The Dark Knight Returns" (great story)In the Marvel U he would have been Anti-Reg (hidden identity is kinda his whole deal) I think as a Marvel character they may focus on his methodical preparation and tactical prowess. Not sure how his rogues gallery would fit in though, people like the Punisher would just put a bullet in the Joker, Two Face, Penguin and so on."

Maye that could be his thing though. After seeing Punisher simply kill bad guys Batman could think of him as one. Instead of just being a vigilante that puts people away, he could be one that fights other vigilante's. In addition to his planning stuff, they could play up his urban legend aspect. He could be someone people hear about but they're never sure if he's real or not. Now that I think about it, I'm probably being influenced by the Foolkiller. And he could be another target. I think handling heroes that go "too far" would be his role. I'm seeing this not as someone who's always been there, but someone new on the scene, at least as a hero. Maybe he lived in New York for a while and only recently became Batman. Punisher would be the first put away, then Foolkiller might be next. Moon Knight could be made into a big deal since he actually has a lot of resources to fight with. Once he's gone all his toys could be added to Batman's (or maybe in this version he's not a billionaire and this is where he gets everything he has, by taking it from MK). He could have some kind of strange friendship with Dare Devil. There's more stuff that could come from that.

#15 Posted by Iron Apollo (2199 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"Gambler says:

Maye that could be his thing though. After seeing Punisher simply kill bad guys Batman could think of him as one. Instead of just being a vigilante that puts people away, he could be one that fights other vigilante's. In addition to his planning stuff, they could play up his urban legend aspect. He could be someone people hear about but they're never sure if he's real or not. Now that I think about it, I'm probably being influenced by the Foolkiller. And he could be another target. I think handling heroes that go "too far" would be his role. I'm seeing this not as someone who's always been there, but someone new on the scene, at least as a hero. Maybe he lived in New York for a while and only recently became Batman. Punisher would be the first put away, then Foolkiller might be next. Moon Knight could be made into a big deal since he actually has a lot of resources to fight with. Once he's gone all his toys could be added to Batman's (or maybe in this version he's not a billionaire and this is where he gets everything he has, by taking it from MK). He could have some kind of strange friendship with Dare Devil. There's more stuff that could come from that."

awesome...if only...

#16 Posted by Iron Apollo (2199 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if marvel and dc would do a crossover where they would marvel,s what if comic with Batman. What If batman were in the Marvel U

#17 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember when uxm.net pulled a big April Fools joke and convinced
people that X-Men Forever was a continuity rewrite if Batman had been
in the X-Men. Good times.

#18 Edited by jesusjoe (51 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would work better because the Marvel U has more of a system set up for 'street level' characters. It almost doesn't make sense that Batman can roll with the JLA, and there are some clear contradictions; War Games, for example, suggested he was an urban legend in Gotham, but in Identity Crisis we see him on a newspaper front page with the rest of the JLA (apologies if there's an explanation for that, I don't read that much other JLA stuff). What's more, part of the rationalisation given in Identity Crisis was that the 'big two' (himself and Superman)  were always running away to deal with their own issues instead of helping the JLA clean up theirs; yet when Batman runs off because 'Two-Face is robbing a bank', any one of the members who lament his loss could easily have jumped in and solved it, some in a matter of seconds. He may be the world's greatest detective, but 0.3 IQ Kon-El could work out who's robbing a bank WHEN IT'S HAPPENING THEN AND THERE. 

In the Marvel U, there's a bit more of a social gap between the street levelers and the outrageous superpowers; a little less now, with Bendis's Avengers stuff, but certainly when Miller, if he said it, said it (as he hasn't said anything without swearing profusely since well before Avengers Dissasembled) . Captain America told Moon Knight to stay the hell out of the Civil War, and eventually extended that to The Punisher; Daredevil tried his best not to get involved in the first place. And as far as I know, not one of them has ever been to space; Batman's gone thousands of times by now, and should probably have equipment that just lets him see through time or some crap to solve crimes. In the Marvel U, he'd fit right in because he WOULDN'T be accepted; I think the 'Iron Spiderman' suit is a good example of the difference between a street level outsider and someone on the top tier payroll.

EDIT:
Oh, and for the people mentioning Punisher/Batman, there were two crossovers in the 90's. First I haven't read, but I think it was with Azrael, so I guess that doesn't really count; in the second, the Punisher is about to shoot the Joker before the Batman steps in and tells Joker to run. At which point he punches Frank, and tells him to stay out of Gotham. So he lets TWO homicidal maniacs go. Doesn't even attempt to arrest Frank, nor chase after the Joker.  Worst. Vigilante. Ever. Good thing it's non-canon...

#19 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@jesusjoe: 
first Punisher/Azbat was the better of the two if you ask me. very worthy read.
called Lake Of Fire.
#20 Posted by jesusjoe (51 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE: 
Really? Never read much Azrael era stuff, I think the gaudy suit turned me off, but a good read is a good read I suppose. Will check it out, thanks!
#21 Posted by CrimsonCake (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman in the Marvel universe?

He sure stands out...

#22 Posted by CrimsonCake (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

I still can't see him as marvel though.

#23 Posted by MasterDetective (840 posts) - - Show Bio

There already is a comic where Batman and Spiderman team up

#24 Posted by telepathic666 (227 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would be cool, his villains and stories would be with the Punisher and Elektra and other really dark characters i'd be down that and he would beat the snot out of cyclops and cap and put AvX to rest...

#25 Posted by nickzambuto (14143 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems like a good place to dump this.

#26 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5537 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrimsonCake

He sure stands out...

New 52 costume would fit in just fine. Bats would be a good fit in the MU and possibly be a rival to BP, I don't see him doing the kid sidekick thing. It I could see him mentoring some young heroes. His rogues gallery could crossover but Joker would definitely get his head hit by the Punisher as soon he pulled something. He would be too much of a wild card for someone like Punisher or Moon Knight to step in.
#27 Posted by PaperDemon (617 posts) - - Show Bio

He's the only hero I like in dc and I love like every marvel character so I would like batman to be in marvel.

#28 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Please, just keep Bendis away from him.

#29 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the idea personally. He has already eatin half of DC I don't want every other Marvel book to be Batman related. I like Batman and all, but he is a part of the DC trinity, it would just be wrong.

#30 Posted by SoA (4942 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by Chaos Burn (1787 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking bout this earlier, and he'd just be an amalgamation of Tony Stark, Moon Knight, Daredevil.... maybe some others. IF they ever ever ever ever did try to do Batman in Marvel, i'd hope Gotham was SO crime ridden and bribed, that no super hero would touch it, and essentially itd be Batman on his own there

#32 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8900 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel already has a batman equivalent. He's called Black Panther, perhaps some of you have heard of him :P

#33 Posted by staphin (205 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rotten gun said:

i'd love to see him in marvel...

so would i

#34 Posted by staphin (205 posts) - - Show Bio

i think dc ruined batman he should be a broken loner but they gave a sidekick made part of a team

he should be a thing of mystery some thing that exist with legend and reality

#35 Posted by mk111 (3141 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Blade could be friends.

#36 Posted by Avenger85 (1931 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a Batman in Marvel.

He's the younger version of Scott Summers. AKA the Cyclops of Zurr-Enh-Arrh.

#37 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@mk111 said:

Batman and Blade could be friends.

good one there! :D

#38 Edited by consolemaster001 (5838 posts) - - Show Bio

He sure stands out...

LOL

#39 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman isn't made for the Marvel U.

DC universe is more mature.

#40 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11267 posts) - - Show Bio

He'd have a gun in no time.

#41 Posted by M_Man (795 posts) - - Show Bio

Every single Marvel Villain would shit themselves simultaneously without realizing why.

#42 Posted by Black_Claw (3009 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the Joker would have a tough time surviving in the MU, especially if the Punisher decides to go after him.

#43 Posted by consolemaster001 (5838 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the Joker would have a tough time surviving in the MU, especially if the Punisher decides to go after him.

#44 Posted by Kanen (209 posts) - - Show Bio

@stronger:

Sure it is. Last time I checked DC had superman bench pressing the earth for 5 days. DC really needs to grow up in my opinion and stop making all there characters so OP

#45 Edited by Breadspread (774 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is a strong enough character to work anywhere, although there are certain corners of the Marvel universe I think he'd work best. Marvel Knights seems like a good fit. I'd love to see Batman and Madrox together, written by David, I think this pairing would be hilarious.

#46 Posted by patrat18 (10183 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Somewhere down the line he would have to kill. They will make him kill. Besides.......Batman>Marvel.

#47 Posted by Kanen (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Since Marvel is more realistic than Dc by far Batman would realize that he is way weaker in the MU because 1000lbs in DC isn't the same in Marvel. In MU he'd be lifting like 500-600lbs. Batman would be severely under-equipped compared to ironman. Nick fury would find out who batman is right away because no one in Marvel is buying his half mask shtick. His batmobile would be hacked by ironman while BP is just waiting for him at his batcave. Thor or Punisher would probably take him in for child endangerment unless he isn't killed by one of them first. Wolverine would probably kill him for not killing the Joker yet. That is if he isn't laughed at for still wearing his outside underwear. Sure Bats could fit in but he would need to make some changes like having a full on mask or not having a secret identity at all. There would be no bat signal because that's just to DC (old school). He'd have to be not as rich or daredevil wealth because Ironman is the rich guy in that universe and tech guy. Him and Punisher would be fighting all the time over morals and he'd probably be best friends with Spider-man in that universe which would be really cool. Also this would never happen because DC would lose like half their fanbase but maybe that would be good so they could explore so many other characters that they are just letting collect dust

#48 Posted by RustyRoy (13280 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman will rule Marvel.

#49 Posted by Valdemocnij (616 posts) - - Show Bio

Only that will be fun to see Sandman vs Clayface :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.