Batman Hipsters... Who else hates them?

• 103 results
#1 Edited by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

I, for one, hate when I see a hipster loaded up with Batman crap saying that he/she loves Batman when they hve never read a comic in their life. This goes for any superhero, Green Lantern and The Avengers are other big ones. i hate when They're like, "Oh yeah, I LOVE Batman!" so I ask them what they've read and they say, "No, I only watched the movies!" Does this get under anyone elses skin? -Edit- Maybe I worded my opinion wrong. I don't like when someone claims to be a die hard fan of Batman (or any other hero) and that they know all about him/her when all they've done is seen a few movies. For instance, I have a friend that "loves" Batman, but laughs at me for reading the comics. I think that's a perfect example of an untrue fan.

#2 Posted by WhySoCarefree (12 posts) - - Show Bio

You have just described the majority of people that I know. I'm slowly forcing them to read Scott Snyder's current run. It stops me from using blunt force trauma whenever one of the "I LOVE BATMAN." conversations happens.

#3 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

Um, it doesn't happen with just hipsters in my experience, but yes it annoys me.

#4 Posted by Cap10nate (2156 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImTheDamnBatman: This should be generalized to hipsters all together and not just those who claim to like comics

#5 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImTheDamnBatman said:

I, for one, hate when I see a hipster loaded up with Batman crap saying that he/she loves Batman when they hve never read a comic in their life. This goes for any superhero, Green Lantern and The Avengers are other big ones. i hate when They're like, "Oh yeah, I LOVE Batman!" so I ask them what they've read and they say, "No, I only watched the movies!" Does this get under anyone elses skin?

I think I'm annoyed by those who accuse others of being "fake geeks" more.

#6 Posted by Twentyfive (2843 posts) - - Show Bio

No. It does not bug me. When someone's a fan of a character, but they've only seen them on screen, then that's the perfect time to pull them into comics.

What might annoy me, because I have never had this experience before, is when a fan of the character that they've only seen on screen thinks that that character can beat someone in the comics.

Like my brother, who has only seen the movies and played the Arkham games, says Batman can beat the Green Lantern because "he's Batman" and he looks so cool. That may annoy me.

#7 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess we have to accept that the superhero genre is no longer limited to comic books. A vast amount of fans are simply fans of the films.

#8 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

So... Exactly why can't you LOVE Batman if you've never read his comics?

#9 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

ive always liked batman, i started reading from year one and follow the timeline. im a new avid batman comic reader.

#10 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

yes, it annoys me and also when people say other charecters suck and then say they dont know anything about them .@Twentyfive: I've tried this before and they didnt even read them. They said that there not a comic book type of person.

#11 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

My thoughts exactly.

#12 Posted by Twentyfive (2843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19: I wish people could read comics in this day and age without the fear of others looking at them as if they had some grotesque, and contagious disease.

They would find out they are missing a lot.

#13 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind people liking the characters. One of my friends however really liked the Avengers and proceeded to tell me why Hawkeye could beat Hulk. When I told him that I wouldn't take him seriously in an argument like that without him reading some comic books first he began to be quite derogatory about comics. I hate that.

#14 Posted by Joygirl (18507 posts) - - Show Bio

Movies, games and cartoons are a good gateway into comics. Just need to steer people in the right direction. Loan them some TPB's... it's hard not to read something that's free to you.

#15 Posted by danhimself (22282 posts) - - Show Bio

my friend's son just told me the other day that he LOVED Transformers but not the stupid animated ones...just the ones from the movies.....it took me all I had not to slap the he!! out of him

#16 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

My friend wants a Hulk tattoo (I myself having two Batman related ones) after seeing the Avengers. I asked him the Hulk's "real name"; he didin't know.

#17 Posted by BatWatch (2364 posts) - - Show Bio

Such things do not bug me. People see the characters on the big screen, and they like it. That's their perogative.

What does bug me is when people are like, "Comics are for kids," yet they say they love the different characters such as Superman or X-Men. Where do you thing the movies got the idea dumb f****?

#18 Posted by Batnandez (511 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vortex13 said:

Um, it doesn't happen with just hipsters in my experience, but yes it annoys me.

Um, I think he's saying they are batman hipsters not hipsters claiming to like batman???

#19 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't agree with this logic at all. Cartoons influenced me and made me fans of certain characters before I picked up the comics.

Characters are bigger than the comics these days. The movies doing as well as they do prove that point even more. Just accept it and move on.

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32717 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:

@ImTheDamnBatman said:

I, for one, hate when I see a hipster loaded up with Batman crap saying that he/she loves Batman when they hve never read a comic in their life. This goes for any superhero, Green Lantern and The Avengers are other big ones. i hate when They're like, "Oh yeah, I LOVE Batman!" so I ask them what they've read and they say, "No, I only watched the movies!" Does this get under anyone elses skin?

#21 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

@Batnandez: Didn't know that was an actual separate thing. Ah well.@fodigg said:

@ImTheDamnBatman said:

This^

#22 Edited by Wolfrazer (6053 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, wait wait. Don't Comics/Film/Animation all have different continuity anyway?(Meaning that they aren't suppose to be like their comic counterpart) So wouldn't a person who just seen the hero on screen, actually know about that character from that POV in that continuity?

#23 Posted by Batnandez (511 posts) - - Show Bio

It's more annoying when chicks do it imo, then I act all geeky and then you realize they aren't actual nerds.

#24 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind it when somebody is a fan of the characters because they like the movies, but I do despise it when these less informed people base all opinions off the movies and not the source material. Such as arguing about why Superman does the things he does because of an example from Smallville. Or when people judge a character based off their one movie (Green Lantern). All I ever hear from people when I say I'm a GL fan is how they hate him because he is gay or muslim now, or they think DC whitewashed him for the movies cuz all they ever watched was Justice League cartoon. Movies are a great way to get people interested, but they should head to source material if they want to claim to love it. Nobody would take a Harry Potter fan seriously if they only saw the movies rather than reading, comics are just seen as a lesser art form which is total BS.

#25 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I think most of the people that claim they love "Batman" even when they read he comics but don't know or care about characterization are a bunch of lame brain idiots that piss me off because they allow the degeneration of that thing they "love" ... in other words I think most of you people are dumb so hipsters by themselves don't bother me :P

#26 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

I don't mind it when somebody is a fan of the characters because they like the movies, but I do despise it when these less informed people base all opinions off the movies and not the source material. Such as arguing about why Superman does the things he does because of an example from Smallville. Or when people judge a character based off their one movie (Green Lantern). All I ever hear from people when I say I'm a GL fan is how they hate him because he is gay or muslim now, or they think DC whitewashed him for the movies cuz all they ever watched was Justice League cartoon. Movies are a great way to get people interested, but they should head to source material if they want to claim to love it. Nobody would take a Harry Potter fan seriously if they only saw the movies rather than reading, comics are just seen as a lesser art form which is total BS.

^this

omg how i hate this kind of fans

#27 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Superman are not only characters, they are brands.

#28 Edited by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImTheDamnBatman said:

yeah, it kinda annoys me.

#29 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesnt annoy me that fans of the movies like or love Batman, honestly i kinda see them as untrue fans, but it doesnt annoy me. It annoys me when they start pretending they are all-knowing about his character because theyve seen the movies.

The biggest thing that annoys me with 90 % of the fans of Batman who have only seen the movies is that they always give me the ''Hurr Durr.... Robin is so gay, i hate Robin he is such a fag''...... Robin is awesome you comic book heathen! I dont even care which Robin.. A thing to test if youre talking to a Batman-movieverse fan or a generally Batman fan (Comic books, films, animated series etc.) is to ask them of their opinion of Robin... trust me it works, if they have never read the comics they will most likely hate him.

#30 Posted by Ms. Omega (4403 posts) - - Show Bio

Hipsters need to be banished to The Forbidden Zone!

#31 Posted by Antarktischer_Ureinwohner (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't get me wrong here, I hate hipsters in general, but actually I think it's okay to say you like a charackter based on movies or animated series, because on one hand it's a great way to start reading the comics (it was like that with me) and on the other hand these stories are completely seperated from the comic books, so they simply like the charackter the way it is presented in the medium they have watched/read.

#32 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems to me just another way create a reason dislike people for being different or having different motivations. Labeling people and then berating them or having disdain and contempt for the=what keeps us from living harmoniously and progressing as a society aka the "us against them", social engineering, divide and conquer, willie-lynch-letter, stratagem.

#33 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe I worded my opinion wrong. I don't like when someone claims to be a die hard fan of Batman (or any other hero) and that they know all about him/her when all they've done is seen a few movies. For instance, I have a friend that "loves" Batman, but laughs at me for reading the comics. I think that's a perfect example of an untrue fan.

#34 Posted by Jakesully1981 (281 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself listen, Transformers have been popular since 1984 and had different generations you know and still are popular

#35 Posted by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

I meant this actually (the people who act they know about the characters but really don't).

#36 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

No, not at all. If anything they're just helping bring more exposure to Batman, not that he really needs it but the more the merrier. I'm sure there are a ton of people who have only seen the movies, which is actually good for comic fans since that means they'll get to see Batman and other comic book characters on the big screen. :]

#37 Posted by Typhion (622 posts) - - Show Bio

If they wanna spend their money and help keep interest in Batman in general up, then I say good for them and good for me that they do it. That money keeps DC pumping out product, keeps them believing movies are viable (do we really want comics to just be something you can only get at the local hole?), and hopefully funds the next great Batman story. I don't care if think The Killing Joke is a Dane Cook routine, and I don't care if they think Frank Miller is a muppet. I just want them to help keep a good franchise going strong.

#38 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

A hipster is like someone who likes it before it was cool so your talking about fans at 1948.

#39 Posted by _Cain_ (23607 posts) - - Show Bio

@WhySoCarefree said:

You have just described the majority of people that I know. I'm slowly forcing them to read Scott Snyder's current run. It stops me from using blunt force trauma whenever one of the "I LOVE BATMAN." conversations happens.

THIS

#40 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4691 posts) - - Show Bio

It's my firm belief that no one actually likes Batman.

#41 Posted by joshmightbe (24604 posts) - - Show Bio

This used to piss me off but I got over it

#42 Posted by BatWatch (2364 posts) - - Show Bio

@Typhion said:

If they wanna spend their money and help keep interest in Batman in general up, then I say good for them and good for me that they do it. That money keeps DC pumping out product, keeps them believing movies are viable (do we really want comics to just be something you can only get at the local hole?), and hopefully funds the next great Batman story. I don't care if think The Killing Joke is a Dane Cook routine, and I don't care if they think Frank Miller is a muppet. I just want them to help keep a good franchise going strong.

QFT

#43 Edited by jwalser3 (4796 posts) - - Show Bio

Reminds me of being in class and I see this "swag" kid put on a green lantern belt buckle. So I ask," Oh, you like Green Lantern?" He says"Yeah". Hoping for a conversation about DC/ comics in general. So I ask "Have you been reading New Guardians?"...... All he has to say is" I have no clue what you're talking about"

...And that day, I became a Red Lantern.

#44 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skunkstein said:

It doesnt annoy me that fans of the movies like or love Batman, honestly i kinda see them as untrue fans, but it doesnt annoy me. It annoys me when they start pretending they are all-knowing about his character because theyve seen the movies.

The biggest thing that annoys me with 90 % of the fans of Batman who have only seen the movies is that they always give me the ''Hurr Durr.... Robin is so gay, i hate Robin he is such a fag''...... Robin is awesome you comic book heathen! I dont even care which Robin.. A thing to test if youre talking to a Batman-movieverse fan or a generally Batman fan (Comic books, films, animated series etc.) is to ask them of their opinion of Robin... trust me it works, if they have never read the comics they will most likely hate him.

this so much this!

#45 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:

Exactly.  

This kind of pretentious douchebaggery is the reason people think comic readers are wankers.
#46 Posted by Typhion (622 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@AtPhantom said:

Exactly. This kind of pretentious douchebaggery is the reason people think comic readers are wankers.

Yep, and it chases a potential fan away. It's kinda like going to a gym. I started 15 years ago, and was nervous as heck. If I ran into somebody who looked at me like, "why are you here, you have to be huge just to get in the door," I woulda been done then and there. I was lucky I ran into a guy who was cool as hell and showed me the ropes. 15 years later, I'm glad he did. Whenever you're looking to get into something, it's nice to run into those people who encourage you, not look down on you.

You look down your snooty nose at someone who has just a passing interest, and you risk losing a fan and maybe a friend. Now take the alternate, you run into a guy sporting the t-shirt, and find out he knows only the movies, and you tell him, "ya know, if you're looking to get into it a little more, check out the New 52 series, it's like a reboot, or if you want a great arc, try The Killing Joke." Well then you might have just made a casual fan a fanatic. That feels a whole lot better.

#47 Posted by _Black (2302 posts) - - Show Bio

It kind of irritates me because I know they truly don't love the character/s like I do, but it's good because it's just more exposure, money, success, etc. for comics.

What really bothers me are the people that do this and then go on to spout nonsense because they've "watched all the movies". "Wolverine killed teh Fenix!" or "Deadpool is unstoppable he haz soo many powerz!"

To further that point, I also hate how people view certain characters. Like saying Aquaman sucks, or that the only thing Flash can do is run fast, or even when I try to talk to my mom about Batman, she always thinks of the campy version and not the one the comic world knows.

#48 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@Typhion said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@AtPhantom said:

Exactly. This kind of pretentious douchebaggery is the reason people think comic readers are wankers.

Yep, and it chases a potential fan away. It's kinda like going to a gym. I started 15 years ago, and was nervous as heck. If I ran into somebody who looked at me like, "why are you here, you have to be huge just to get in the door," I woulda been done then and there. I was lucky I ran into a guy who was cool as hell and showed me the ropes. 15 years later, I'm glad he did. Whenever you're looking to get into something, it's nice to run into those people who encourage you, not look down on you.

You look down your snooty nose at someone who has just a passing interest, and you risk losing a fan and maybe a friend. Now take the alternate, you run into a guy sporting the t-shirt, and find out he knows only the movies, and you tell him, "ya know, if you're looking to get into it a little more, check out the New 52 series, it's like a reboot, or if you want a great arc, try The Killing Joke." Well then you might have just made a casual fan a fanatic. That feels a whole lot better.

your right. but, i've tried that before with a bunch of people. i even loaned them my comics they didnt read them.They said they prefer the movies. I told them where the comic book store was they just laughed. your strategy might work for a few people but, most people dont care for the comics. It doesnt annoy me that people like batman its just annoying when people act like they know everything about him based on that movie or what they heard about him for example they say something like "batman can easily beat superman if he had kryptonite gloves" and "batman has beaten the entire justice league by himself"and when they hate charecters like robin and dont know anything about them.

#49 Posted by SupBatz (1690 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole Batman merchandise thing doesn't bother me, nor do people claiming to be die-hard Batman fans just from watching the movies.

I have one friend who claims to be a die-hard Batfan but just can't get into comics. I've let him try reading once or twice but he's just not a fan of the format. He always watches the movies and cartoon series (pretty much any series with Batman in it).

It all comes down to a difference of taste I suppose.

#50 Posted by BatWatch (2364 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupBatz:

I've also ran into lots of people who do not look down on the comic medium but they cannot get into it for whatever reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.