Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman for a newcomer

TheBlankTJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By TheBlankTJ

Big Marvel fan. I have no clue about DC, Batman, Superman and everything else in the DC universe. Any recommendations? 

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RedK
    @TheBlankTJ:
    year one, the long halloween, arkham asylam, robin year one, robin the teen wonder, R.I.P, hush
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sexy_merc

For modern continuity, ignoring Silver Age and Golden Age, what I consider essential Batman stories:

1. Batman: Year One (Must get, great story about Bruce's first time donning the Cowl in modern continuity as well as showing the beginning of the friendship/partnership between Batman and James Gordon.)
    2. Batman: Long Halloween/ Dark Victory (Really shows the detective side of Bruce and I added the follow up, though not as good merely for the fact that it introduces Dick as Robin in modern continuity.)
    3. Batman: The Man Who Laughs (Probably takes place after Batman And The Mad Monk which is not far after Year One. Basically, in modern continuity, it is Batman's first encounter with the Joker.)
    4. Batman: The Killing Joke (Shows a lot of history between Batman and Joker in one book. A lot of people consider this to be the definitive Joker origin story and it has a very very important incident that leaves one ally of Batman, well not the same.)
    5. Batman: Death In The Family (Good story that adds one of the most important deaths and events in the Batman mythos as well as Bruce's life. It sets the tone of future Batman stories as well as Batman being much darker due to the death and really explores his character well.)
    6. Batman: A Lonely Place Of Dying (Kind of expensive and out of print but it is one of the greatest Batman stories in my opinion. We see how the mental and physical repercussions the tragic incident in Death Of the Family affects Batman and draws connections between Batman and Bruce. Very important in the Batman timeline due to the new character that helps Batman cope with the recent death.)
    7. Batman: Knightfall (My absolute most favorite Batman story of all time, bar none. It shows Batman fighting unstoppable odds and eventually an incident that leaves Batman broken. We see Batman rebuilt as a character and the journey Bruce takes as well as showing him working to reclaim the Cowl. It's a must read for anyone who really wants to know why Bruce/Batman is one of the greatest characters in comics.)
    8. Batman: Cataclysm/ No Man's Land (Terrific read and some stuff happen here that stay permanent in the Batman timeline. Basically digs deep into the citizens of Gotham as well as rebuilding the city from the floor up.)
    9. Batman: Hush (Good Batman story with nearly all of Batman's villains along with the introduction of a new villain. It explores the relationship between Batman and Catwoman. Amazing art by Jim Lee and it has most of Batman's supporting cast, as well as Superman. I know some people who disliked it, but overall it's a good story.)
    10. Batman: Heart Of Hush (Really digs deep into the relationship between Batman and Catwoman and builds on Hush's character. I think anything Hush was missing, this filled in completely.)
    11. Batman: Face The Face (It's a good story and really important too. It's the One Year Later story for Batman which shows his relationship with Robin, what happened to Gotham since his departure, re-introduces Two-Face as a villain, and pretty much shows what happened after Infinite Crisis.)
    12. Grant Morrison's Run On Batman (He's doing a fantastic job on Batman but what I urge you to not do, is read any of his comics alone without the others. For example: Don't just read Batman And Son alone because you won't appreciate it. Once you read it with Morrison's other stories, you'll see a lot of elements and plot points being built.)
    TheBlankTJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheBlankTJ

Sweet! I can't wait to get on it. I wanna read as much as I can

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Sexy Merc said:
    " For modern continuity, ignoring Silver Age and Golden Age, what I consider essential Batman stories:

1. Batman: Year One (Must get, great story about Bruce's first time donning the Cowl in modern continuity as well as showing the beginning of the friendship/partnership between Batman and James Gordon.)
    2. Batman: Long Halloween/ Dark Victory (Really shows the detective side of Bruce and I added the follow up, though not as good merely for the fact that it introduces Dick as Robin in modern continuity.)
    3. Batman: The Man Who Laughs (Probably takes place after Batman And The Mad Monk which is not far after Year One. Basically, in modern continuity, it is Batman's first encounter with the Joker.)
    4. Batman: The Killing Joke (Shows a lot of history between Batman and Joker in one book. A lot of people consider this to be the definitive Joker origin story and it has a very very important incident that leaves one ally of Batman, well not the same.)
    5. Batman: Death In The Family (Good story that adds one of the most important deaths and events in the Batman mythos as well as Bruce's life. It sets the tone of future Batman stories as well as Batman being much darker due to the death and really explores his character well.)
    6. Batman: A Lonely Place Of Dying (Kind of expensive and out of print but it is one of the greatest Batman stories in my opinion. We see how the mental and physical repercussions the tragic incident in Death Of the Family affects Batman and draws connections between Batman and Bruce. Very important in the Batman timeline due to the new character that helps Batman cope with the recent death.)
    7. Batman: Knightfall (My absolute most favorite Batman story of all time, bar none. It shows Batman fighting unstoppable odds and eventually an incident that leaves Batman broken. We see Batman rebuilt as a character and the journey Bruce takes as well as showing him working to reclaim the Cowl. It's a must read for anyone who really wants to know why Bruce/Batman is one of the greatest characters in comics.)
    8. Batman: Cataclysm/ No Man's Land (Terrific read and some stuff happen here that stay permanent in the Batman timeline. Basically digs deep into the citizens of Gotham as well as rebuilding the city from the floor up.)
    9. Batman: Hush (Good Batman story with nearly all of Batman's villains along with the introduction of a new villain. It explores the relationship between Batman and Catwoman. Amazing art by Jim Lee and it has most of Batman's supporting cast, as well as Superman. I know some people who disliked it, but overall it's a good story.)
    10. Batman: Heart Of Hush (Really digs deep into the relationship between Batman and Catwoman and builds on Hush's character. I think anything Hush was missing, this filled in completely.)
    11. Batman: Face The Face (It's a good story and really important too. It's the One Year Later story for Batman which shows his relationship with Robin, what happened to Gotham since his departure, re-introduces Two-Face as a villain, and pretty much shows what happened after Infinite Crisis.)
    12. Grant Morrison's Run On Batman (He's doing a fantastic job on Batman but what I urge you to not do, is read any of his comics alone without the others. For example: Don't just read Batman And Son alone because you won't appreciate it. Once you read it with Morrison's other stories, you'll see a lot of elements and plot points being built.)
    "
    Read, agreed, consigned and approve of that list
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Sexy Merc said:
    "hose are the most essential in my opinion, not necessarily the best stories, but they are all fantastic. "
    I agree especially Year One, Long Halloween/dark victory, Knightfall and No Man's land.
    Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Mediant
    @Sexy Merc: Seems like a very good list. I might have to pick some of these up.
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sexy_merc
    @Crom-Cruach: What's your favorite story?
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Sexy Merc said:
    " @Crom-Cruach: What's your favorite story? "
    Oooooh really hard to say. I liked all of those on your list. But my favorites are probably Long Halloween and No Man's land for some reason I can't put my finger on.
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sexy_merc
    @Crom-Cruach said:
    " @Sexy Merc said:
    " @Crom-Cruach: What's your favorite story? "
    Oooooh really hard to say. I liked all of those on your list. But my favorites are probably Long Halloween and No Man's land for some reason I can't put my finger on. "
    Nice, maybe it's just me, but sometimes I find people underrate No Man's Land. Knightfall is my personal favorite.
    skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By skaarason
    @Sexy Merc: @Sexy Merc said:
    " For modern continuity, ignoring Silver Age and Golden Age, what I consider essential Batman stories:

"
    grant's run is a must have for any batman fan or any one looking to get into batman books !!!
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Sexy Merc said:
    "Nice, maybe it's just me, but sometimes I find people underrate No Man's Land. Knightfall is my personal favorite. "
    Knightfall was pure awesome, even if I still like Long halloween and No man's land better.

the same where Joker murders Gordon's wife was one of the most dramatic in all comics. And Bane was awesome in that run too.
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sexy_merc
    @Crom-Cruach: Spoiler warn that last part before OP sees.

: p

I agree though.
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Sexy Merc said:
    " @Crom-Cruach: Spoiler warn that last part before OP sees.  : p  I agree though. "
    I don't know how to put a spoiler warning :(
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sexy_merc
    @Crom-Cruach said:
    " @Sexy Merc said:
    " @Crom-Cruach: Spoiler warn that last part before OP sees.  : p  I agree though. "
    I don't know how to put a spoiler warning :( "
    Highlight it and click on that red circle.
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Sexy Merc:
    No Caption Provided
    thanks for the info :)
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sexy_merc
    @Crom-Cruach: No problem.
    TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheSheepHerder

I will have to save that list; I am trying to get into DC nowadays and want to start off with Batman.

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sydpart2
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sexy_merc
    @Sydpart2: I wish he was written more like that.
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sydpart2
    @Sexy Merc: I had no problem with him being smart, I just thought that it was a little much that he
    I just think that the exact same end result could have occurred without that. I think it happened because the guy who created Bane was the one who wrote Knightfall. As a writer myself I know what it's like to fall in love with your character and make him able to do anything. Like I said I thought that him, ya know, was just unnecessary. I liked what they had him do to go one on one with Batman back in his first episode of TAS... 
    TheBlankTJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheBlankTJ

Awesome!

junkmasterzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By junkmasterzero
    @Sydpart2:  But wasn't Bane supposed to be an evil version of Doc Savage?  If anyone was that smart wouldn't it be him?
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sydpart2
    @junkmasterzero:
    Once again I have no problem with him being intelligent. I just thought it was unnecessary for him to, ya know. Have you ever seen the episode of TAS with Bane? He does a great job of manipulating Bats without having to, ya know. Like I said I think the writer fell in love with his character and just had to make him more awesome.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I've just began my personal quest to read Morrison's entire run on Batman. I just need to get The Black Glove TPB and my collection is up to date. Do I need Battle For The Cowl as well?
    junkmasterzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By junkmasterzero
    @Sydpart2:  I haven't read Knightfall since it was first published, but I don't remember having that big of a problem with it (although I was 10 at the time).  Looking back on it though, it seems odd to me that no one did it before him.
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sydpart2
    @junkmasterzero: Well Gordon did but when you look at how the public views Batman and Wayne making a connection like that is really difficult imo.
    junkmasterzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By junkmasterzero
    @Sydpart2: I'm just saying, if anyone has ever seen Bruce at the country club pool without his shirt on they could be suspicious.  I don't care how many polo accidents he says hes had.
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sydpart2
    @junkmasterzero: lol, but think about the personality that Bruce puts out there. All about me I love me so much, blah blah blah. The attitude that people get from Batman (like the villains who meet him up close) see that he's selfless, that he is brave, it just seems like a weird connection to make. I think that if the first Batman story had been set up so that no one knew who he was and we saw Bruce Wayne in public and Batman in public no one would connect the two. Now when you think about the continuity as a whole I think the connection becomes a lot easier to make. When you factor in things like A Death In The Family it becomes more obvious, but generally speaking it does seem a lot harder to piece together than we give it credit for. The only major hint Gordon went on was the gadgets. As a side note I like it how Miller set it up that Gordon most likely saw Batman was Bruce Wayne in Year One but chose to pretended he didn't just to preserve their friendship. Also makes it pretty cool whenever Gordon brings up something police related to Bruce...
    junkmasterzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By junkmasterzero
    @Sydpart2: I agree, the difference between Bruce and Bats is the key.  I just read No Man's Land (and Cataclysm) and if Bruce acted the way he did in "Mr. Wayne goes to Washington" it would be a little easier. 
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sydpart2
    @junkmasterzero: yeah I'm currently following an audio series based on the novelization of NML (just for fun, have already read it lol) and at one point Batman was thinking about who Bruce Wayne is to himself. It came down to something like this "Bruce Wayne is supposed to be a party a play boy, a mask to hid who I really am...it worked to well" while he was thinking about how Washington refused to save Gotham.

aloe vera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By aloe vera

I like Hush, The Long Halloween,  Batman: Death and the City,  Batman: The Black Glove

-chapel-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By -chapel-
    @aloe vera said:
    "I like Hush, The Long Halloween,  Batman: Death and the City,  Batman: The Black Glove "

Hush and Death in the City are really good.    I like the stories that invole the Joker a lil more though, like the Killing Joke and the man who laughs. 

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By batmanary
    @TheBlankTJ said:
    " Big Marvel fan. I have no clue about DC, Batman, Superman and everything else in the DC universe. Any recommendations?  "
    I know this is pretty old, but if you want to get into the core of the character, pick up Batman chronicles .
    Red_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Red_Jack

Would have to say that the op should grab a lot more comics to get the full picture of the mythos..

Okay, not sure what classes as spoiler but I'll assume all of what I will say might be: -

Batman, Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl, Spoiler, Oracle and Azrael have their own mini series and crossovers. It can really be quite a tricky feat finding all the relevant chronological storylines but tie-ins like Batgirls origins; Cluemaster, Robin and Spoilers dynamics; the whole fugitive storyline and the GCPD exclusive storylines tie everything together to create a very fleshed out and complex Gotham City.

I would also recommed for the OP to grab the War Crimes saga and some of the stories that lead up to it. Plus, there is another player that plays a small part named Orpheus. You may miss out on him if you ignore certain story arcs.

Cyberkiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cyberkiwi

@Sexy Merc: Excellent list dude, But you forgot The Dark Knight Returns. I think it you only put the continuity relevant stuff ;) Other than that, I could add Batman & the Monster Men between 1 and 2 just to perfectly introduce Doctor Strange, main villain of Arkham City and the Court of Owls arc of Snyder on Batman (somehow Newcomer friendly).

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By JakeN7

@Jake Fury: I would say yes. It's a pretty integral part of Grant's run even though he didn't write it. It was written by half of the creative team on Batman R.I.P (Tony S. Daniel) so it definitely plays off of it (obviously.) Hope you aren't forgetting Batman Incorporated! It's his epic ongoing conclusion that leads directly into the New 52 Batman Inc. run which is at issue #4.

OT: I agree with everything said. My favorite story is a tie between Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin, Hush, and Batman Incorporated.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FatihBATMAN

its best to read them all in chronological order!

Avatar image for fullmetalchobit
    FullmetalChobit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FullmetalChobit

Getting into DC in general, I would say start with the 'Crisis saga. Flashpoint and Blackest Night are also really great and are very well drawn and will lead you into the New 52 nicely.

Any of the original JLA line-up is good also, it's good to get into a team because then you have easy off-shoots from that, the JLA is how I got into Green Arrow and Martian Manhunter.

I know it's not what you've asked for but a lot of stuff coming from Image comics is amazing, I'd recommend Madman, The Walking Dead, Invincible and Chew.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Anarchy: Gotham Gondola

"Batman: Year One" (Frank Miller) is best, because it explores the developing criminality in Gotham City as Bruce Wayne hones his crime-fighting skills and meets Selina Kyle (Catwoman). The televisions series "Gotham" (Fox TV) also provides nice background storytelling about a young detective Jim Gordon dealing with the rise of Gotham City's super-villains such as Penguin and Riddler.

Batman (DC Comics) is essentially about criminal insanity, and the fact that the Dark Knight tackles a plethora of maniacal terrorists and super-villains such as Ra's a Ghul, Mad Hatter, and Poison Ivy reveals why Gotham City is a modern pulp fiction symbol of anarchism crime storytelling.

Learning about why Bruce Wayne wants to become the masked urban vigilante named Batman and how multiple villains characterize Gotham City's aura should enhance your detective-fiction experience with the reading/viewing of these comic book stories.

Almost Got 'Im (Batman: The Animated Series)

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.