Batman fails in saving Gotham

#1 Posted by crusoe52 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I know a lot of people will disagree, but if you look at Batman in the sense that he is there to protect the people of Gotham, then he fails by not killing. He captures so many bad guys but then just lets them be arrested, so that they will break free and then kill more innocent people. So Batman will take them down, as usual, but then hand them over to the police, so they can break free, and kill more innocent people. Surely by letting so many people die he has failed Gotham?

#2 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you really want someone who is both a paranoid genius and mentally unstable to break his one rule? The mental state of someone in the buissness of heroics especially someone with a background like his is fragile at best. If they start crossing the lines they have made they could very well spiral down a path of insanity.

Example A Frank Castle and Batman with the Punishers mentality is a terrifing idea....

This has also been done quite a few times.

#3 Posted by crusoe52 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

So thousands of people have to die just because of one rich, unstable man?

#4 Posted by timelord786 (155 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the Batman any better than the criminals that he puts away if he started killing them? And most importantly Batman understands that 1 life or a million life's are priceless and he does not have the right to take someone's else's life.

#5 Posted by crusoe52 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Id say he is failing in saving Gotham if he wont take one life to save thousands of others. Thats selfish

#6 Posted by AweSam (7053 posts) - - Show Bio

@crusoe52 said:

Id say he is failing in saving Gotham if he wont take one life to save thousands of others. Thats selfish

He has no obligation to do anything. He's taking in the criminals because he wants to. No one's expecting him to kill anyone. Please sign out and never come back.

#7 Posted by crusoe52 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

So what, he can prance around in a cape, fight all the criminals he wants but when it comes to actually stopping the crime he cant think of any other way to do that than handing them over to the police, knowing theyll probably escape and kill again?

#8 Posted by timelord786 (155 posts) - - Show Bio

@crusoe52:

Just because someone commits a crime it does not mean there is no hope for them. There have been criminals that Bats have apprehended before which reformed like the riddler .

#9 Posted by crusoe52 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

But some dont, and never will. Shouldnt that be Batmans responsibility to end the violence?

#10 Posted by JonSmith (3790 posts) - - Show Bio

@crusoe52: I believe there was a what if style story where Batman killed. He killed the Joker, then thought that since he'd crossed that line, he'd go ahead and finished the job: He decided to kill all the criminals in the world.

So he did it.

BECAUSE HE'S BATMAN.

But in the mainstream continuity, if Batman started killing his enemies, true, he'd be saving a lot of people, but it's not his job. He brings down these supervillains, and hands them over to the cops. If the system they work for doesn't decide to kill they, why should he? Why should it be HIS job to finish these guys off? He operates outside the law because inside it, he can't do what he needs to. But if he has personal moral issues against killing them, and hands them over, how is it his fault if the police don't put a bullet in their brain?

#11 Posted by crusoe52 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Because if the law are incapable of catching the criminals, that means they may be incapable of making the right decisions for them. You say sure he'd save lives as if that means less than his selfish needs. That storyline with Batman killing sounds stupid.

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27253 posts) - - Show Bio
@crusoe52: Same thing can be said for every single super hero ever created 
#13 Posted by CrimsonCake (2664 posts) - - Show Bio

Not the batman morality topic again...

#14 Posted by wildvine (7120 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@crusoe52: Same thing can be said for every single super hero ever created

Yeah, kinda unfair to call Batman out...

#15 Posted by KnightRise (4749 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake said:

@AweSam said:

@crusoe52 said:

He has no obligation to do anything. He's taking in the criminals because he wants to. No one's expecting him to kill anyone. Please sign out and never come back.

^little mean, but this

#16 Posted by danhimself (21898 posts) - - Show Bio

the legal system is the one that is failing Gotham....the fact that none of his rogues have been put down yet and that they continually escape incarceration is definitely their fault

#17 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1777 posts) - - Show Bio

People need to stop looking at this like real people are really dying because of Batman's neglect... the simple fact is, these stories are written for our entertainment, and if Batman killed his enemies, then they wouldn't be able to come back and continue to have interesting stories centered around them. No writer is capable of coming up with a new villain on par with, say, Joker every month. If Batman started killing, there would be no more Batman comics for you to complain about, so stop complaining.

#18 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11701 posts) - - Show Bio

We already have several of these topics. Go post in one of them instead of making duplicate threads

#19 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (7210 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake said:

#20 Posted by batshrine (961 posts) - - Show Bio

@crusoe52: Im sorry you are putting the blaim on Batman for saving people, and stopping crimes (or solving them). And not blaming the proper authorities for properly handling them? In all fairness it is the Gotham government, or the United States government for not taking care of these issues.

#21 Posted by Superguy0009e (2258 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber: When I read that, i saw the avatar and broke out laughing

#22 Posted by Pokeysteve (7003 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the OP to a degree. I understand why Bats doesn't kill all the criminals but just the Joker alone I mean seriously!! With his intelligence he probably wouldn't even be suspected. Like Dexter. He has that dark, broodiness to him too. It just makes sense.

The main thing that gets to me about Batman is he claims he'll do whatever it takes and that's BS. Wonder Woman killed Max Lord to save thousands. On TV. Bruce could take out Joker and do the same.

Punisher was brought up. What would happen if Frank was given a couple months in Gotham. The people in that piece of crap city would love him!

#23 Posted by GBandit (156 posts) - - Show Bio

Its true. All the people that have been killed by Joker. Twoface,etc tr bloodis in Batman's hands..

#24 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

@crusoe52: i know your new but. one thing you dont do is go to charecters forums and criticize them. and dude, its a comic book it would be really hard for writers to come up with a new villian every month. and batman isnt the only hero who has a no-kill code.

#25 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29330 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake said:

The topic that never dies.

Because people keep pointing it out thinking they're geniuses discovering the biggest plot-hole of all time.

#26 Posted by KnightRise (4749 posts) - - Show Bio

@ratman19 said:

@crusoe52: i know your new but. one thing you dont do is go to charecters forums and criticize them. and dude, its a comic book it would be really hard for writers to come up with a new villian every month. and batman isnt the only hero who has a no-kill code.

exactly

#27 Posted by InfamousFish (353 posts) - - Show Bio

Hasn't this topic been discussed before?

#28 Posted by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes much more sense to blame the government for not creating and enforcing tougher laws on super criminals or the voters for not electing politicians who are willing to back such laws. Batman, and all other superhero, are under no obligation to do anything about criminals or super villains.

#29 Posted by ssejllenrad (12778 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

the legal system is the one that is failing Gotham....the fact that none of his rogues have been put down yet and that they continually escape incarceration is definitely their fault

This.

#30 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@crusoe52 said:

I know a lot of people will disagree, but if you look at Batman in the sense that he is there to protect the people of Gotham, then he fails by not killing. He captures so many bad guys but then just lets them be arrested, so that they will break free and then kill more innocent people. So Batman will take them down, as usual, but then hand them over to the police, so they can break free, and kill more innocent people. Surely by letting so many people die he has failed Gotham?

You sound like Jason Todd. Are you impersonating him?

#31 Posted by ImmortalOne (2846 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is this always directed towards Batman? How come no one gives a sh!t about Spiderman, Superman, Thor, and any other non anti-hero?

#32 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImmortalOne said:

Why is this always directed towards Batman? How come no one gives a sh!t about Spiderman, Superman, Thor, and any other non anti-hero?

People like to retread old grounds. This "problem" applies to all the non anti heroes. Thor, Captain America, Spiderman, FF, Superman, Flash and etc.

#33 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@ratman19 said:

Actually its not that its hard for writers to come up with new villain every month. But fans want old villains back. Can you imagine if he killed half the population of his enemies. People are going to be pissed that Joker died. I know there are lotsa Joker fanboys.

#34 Posted by Lvenger (15969 posts) - - Show Bio

Congratulations on being a whiny up yourself user who thinks that this topic is unique and innovative when it's been done before who knows how many times and has an obvious answer. You miss out on the dynamic of what makes characters like Batman heroes and symbols of morality. Please refrain from making threads like this in the future. Or coming on here at all.

#35 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

If he killed he would be as bad as his villains.

#36 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonAvenger: i wouldnt say that, police sometimes have to take a life to save a life. does that make them as bad as the criminals when they just saved more lives in the process. i think not.

#37 Posted by cameron83 (6416 posts) - - Show Bio

well batman cannot kill,it's not only called morals because he has no right at all,no matter how much hr obligates himself,to take a life.Another thing,if he started killing his foes,do you think commissioner Gordon would just let it slide,he protects batman when it comes to vigilantism,but if he goes on a "murder spree",why can't commissioner gordon arrest him,he cannot protect him then because the GCPD and the council will fire him for protecting a murderer (also note,i cannot see how he is going to hide those murders). ALSO@ImmortalOne said:

@ratman19 said:

these.imagine if he killed mr freeze (pre-flaspoint) mr freeze only wanted to save his wife,not really kill anyone,he's misunderstood.Many of batman's villains tone down a bit,also poison ivy,or catwoman (she's more of an ally).People like penguin and two face are not much of a threat,and batman's main job is to put them away,if the cops or the government decide to execute them,that is for them to decide.Batman's only job and intent is to capture them,and make the government take it from there,it is not batman's job to kill,only put them in the government's hands...do you understand,i can see your new,but seriously,it's annoying now

#38 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

@ratman19 said:

@CrimsonAvenger: i wouldnt say that, police sometimes have to take a life to save a life. does that make them as bad as the criminals when they just saved more lives in the process. i think not.

The police are different. The OP is asking why Batman doesn't go out and kill his villains. The simple answer is because that makes him no better than them.

#39 Posted by TheGRiZzLeR (7 posts) - - Show Bio

batman has never failed gotham given he does this voluntarily how much he does for gotham is up to him however it is up to the GPD contain there criminals

#40 Posted by VenomousDragon (843 posts) - - Show Bio

Leave batman alone its not his fault that original supervillians are difficult to create. If he was killing them all the time his writers would have to replace them, have you ever tried to come up with a character that doesnt seem like a ripoff of something/several things? Its damn near impossible.

#41 Posted by MasterDetective (675 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing is bad, Batman is good, therefore he shouldn't kill.

#42 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, lets balem Batamn, not the freacking Goverment and Society that let crime do all those things.

#43 Posted by vandinejd_1991 (220 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with CrimsonAvenger if Batman killed he would be just like all of his enemies whether it's Ra's, Bane, Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, or even Mad Hatter. The only difference is he would be killing guilty people instead of innocent but still the line between good and evil would really be blurred.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.