Batman: Eidetic Memory?

#1 Posted by CF12793 (2992 posts) - - Show Bio

Has it ever been mentioned in any comic/movie/Television show if Bruce has an eidetic (photographic) memory or not? Bane has one and obviously Superman but they're both still in awe of his intellect. It would make sense that he would have atleast an incredible memory, as he's able to recount the littlest detail about something he learned to a pretty great degree of accuracy. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned that he's learned various techniques on how to expand his memory to a very high degree. This also goes without saying, but it's simply impossible to attain his skill level in any discipline he practices without having a great memory.

So yeah, has it been mentioned that he has photographic memory?

#2 Edited by MasterDetective (831 posts) - - Show Bio

nope

#3 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

not 100%, but i have seen him train in various memory techniques, i just all ways assumed that it was a natural gift, something that all wayne's had, it would explain why all of them had such high ranking carers and positions of power

#4 Edited by serpent222 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

I have never seen it show up in comics, but it is explicitly mentioned in his info in the Arkham Asylum video game.

Edit: My mistake, it says photographic memory. Seen at the 0:07 point.

#5 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Photographic is also pretty cool :D

#6 Posted by batshrine (994 posts) - - Show Bio

@CF12793: Well here is the thing, its not memory what makes someone smart. Its noticing the importance of different things. Batman being a detective is very astute and can really see variances, and pics up on the little details. So while bane may remember everything, he may not be able to use that memory as well as Batman simply cause Batman through training and practice knows what to look out for.

#7 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

@CF12793: Well here is the thing, its not memory what makes someone smart. Its noticing the importance of different things. Batman being a detective is very astute and can really see variances, and pics up on the little details. So while bane may remember everything, he may not be able to use that memory as well as Batman simply cause Batman through training and practice knows what to look out for.

#8 Edited by stephen_wheeler_225 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

@cf12793: If he does have one it would explain why he is who he is. A normal person might be able to overcome the trauma of seeing their parents killed, but if you had perfect recall and an obsessive personality it would be his greatest curse.

#9 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6110 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by RustyRoy (12012 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Eidetic Merory = Photographic Memory? If so then yes he has Eidetic Memory.

#11 Posted by jumpstart55 (2276 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

#12 Edited by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

It has been mentioned in comics. He mentions it when he talked about Tim Drake one time where he mention that many of his skills and his eidetic memory is not natural. He had to learn how to get them and train at them to get them where as Tim is a natural detective and Dick is a natural gymnist which will make them better than him in the long run.

#13 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2203 posts) - - Show Bio

@fatihbatman: @serpent222: They're the same thing it's just Eidetic is the proper name for it.

No they're not. Photographic memory is remembering what you were doing on a specific day 15 years ago, eidetic memory is remembering what you were doing 15 years ago while also remembering what your shirt felt like and what the air smelled like after an overweight guy farted in your general area on the bus.

#14 Edited by RustyRoy (12012 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller said:

@fatihbatman: @serpent222: They're the same thing it's just Eidetic is the proper name for it.

No they're not. Photographic memory is remembering what you were doing on a specific day 15 years ago, eidetic memory is remembering what you were doing 15 years ago while also remembering what your shirt felt like and what the air smelled like after an overweight guy farted in your general area on the bus.

Nice one.

#15 Posted by XSpectreGreyX (67 posts) - - Show Bio

It wouldn't surprise me. Maybe he just doesn't have to narrate it to himself like Babs does.

#16 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6110 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller said:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/eidetic+memory

#17 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1200 posts) - - Show Bio

The man is the Worlds Greatest Detective, you can't be a good detective if you are unable to remember specific details. So ya I would say he does.

#18 Posted by ShiningLegend (17 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.