Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman: Deathstroke's Apprentice

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jeremy1989

Now don't get the wrong idea. I'm not assuming this is accurate or not, I'm just putting my two cents in and theorizing within the Batman Lore.

What if Bruce learned the combative arts from Slade Wilson. Because when you think about there's no way he would've learned and mastered 127 styles of martial arts during the expansion of time training(Maybe Karate, Boxing, and Kung Fu, but that's it.)

So here's my theory....

Similar to Batman Begins, I think he was taught by a master assassin named Slade. Slade met him when Bruce was at age 17, saw his potential, thus he made Bruce his apprentice, teaching him the assassin's art alongside classmate Lady Shiva and so forth.

Maybe I'm getting too deep into this, but once again these are just my opinions.

Tell me what you think?

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha

no

Butros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well,I think it could be interesting,also didn't an assassin for hire like Cain train Batman?

This could make plausible a rivalry between the two,and Slade could become somewhat a Batman's nemesis(while still being a mercenary).

Problem is,I dont know how newdc Slade is that old like he was in pre52 and as far as I know the only person he trained was that police woman from Gotham city(to be fair he did a good job as she was later able to give him some good fights).

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was something going on with both of them in the past.

But since the whole Arrow thing going on, its better they point David Cain or Ras or anybody.

KingVenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That might have been cool but it didn't happen, as far as we know.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ScouterV

Logical...but logic doesn't apply when it comes to Batman.

Cool > Everything

when it comes to Bruce Wayne.

Anywho, I think it's pretty well-established that Slade only interacts with Bats when he has to.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aahz

The thing is, Slade isn't really a martial arts master he is an ex-soldier who got enhanced by an experiment. He is a dangerous fighter (due to his enhancements and his strategic ability probably even more dangerous than Lady Shiva) but he not a master of 127 styles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e291995a18d6
    deactivated-5e291995a18d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nah

The whole 127 martial arts thing doesn't really make sense, but it's comic book logic so it doesn't have to make sense.

And Slade isn't on the same level as Bruce on the h2h level, he's just enhanced

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Its comics

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He doesn't know 127 martial arts, I don't remember reading that in comics. Especially not in New 52. His fighting style is the mix of boxing, judo, dragon kung fu, jiu jitsu, ninjutsu, taekwondo and muay thai.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last time I checked, Batman actually now knows way more than just 127 martial arts and disciplines.

Also, this idea sounds completely retarded. Not to mention unlikely, since Slade isn't that much older than Bruce.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last time I checked, Batman actually now knows way more than just 127 martial arts and disciplines.

Also, this idea sounds completely retarded. Not to mention unlikely, since Slade isn't that much older than Bruce.

Now don't get the wrong idea. I'm not assuming this is accurate or not

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually the belief that knowing more means being a better fighter makes no sense.

Is quality not quantity.

Butros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to mention unlikely, since Slade isn't that much older than Bruce.

Iìm not sure about newdc but pre52 Slade was pretty old having fought in Korean war,he did look younger because of his healing factor.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gracetrack

@bigcimmerian said:

He doesn't know 127 martial arts, I don't remember reading that in comics. Especially not in New 52. His fighting style is the mix of boxing, judo, dragon kung fu, jiu jitsu, ninjutsu, taekwondo and muay thai.

Wait, what? Are you talking about Bruce or Slade?

batzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually the belief that knowing more means being a better fighter makes no sense.

Is quality not quantity.

Batman is a better fighter to due quality and quantity.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian said:

Bruce.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batzilla said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Is quality not quantity.

No he isnt, Deathstroke has powers, Batman dont.

Butros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batzilla said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Is quality not quantity.

People also forget that while Deathstroke may not have mastered 127 different martial arts he's quite experienced,he was already one of the best soldiers in the army(special forces) before getting his upgrades.

Even with no powers I think he could stalemate Batman.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono said:

@bigcimmerian said:

Bruce.

Bruce knows every martial art in the world, and it has been stated in the comics as well as other official sources. Some sources state that as 127 different styles.

batzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batzilla said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Is quality not quantity.

Yes he is, and it doesn't matter, Batman has fought people with more powers than DS and still won due to his fighting prowess.

batzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butros said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@batzilla said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Is quality not quantity.

People also forget that while Deathstroke may not have mastered 127 different martial arts he's quite experienced,he was already one of the best soldiers in the army(special forces) before getting his upgrades.

So you're saying someone who was once one of the best soldiers in the army could stalemate someone that is a master of over 127 martial arts styles?

Butros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batzilla said:

@butros said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@batzilla said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Is quality not quantity.

So you're saying someone who was once one of the best soldiers in the army could stalemate someone that is a master of over 127 martial arts styles?

I know we're talking about comics so martial arts are overrated and they do matter but still if that was true Taskmaster would be the best fighter in Marvel universe but he's not and has been beaten by way less skilled fighter.

What I mean,Deathstroke is way older than Bruce(at least pre52) and started fighting in the army when he was 16,he's got a lot of experience,he's ruthless and skilled.

So yes I think he,with no powers,can stalemate Batman,also Ds has easily beaten Batman in the past and if the margin of the skill was so much as you suggest then Batman would have been able to stalemate an enhanced Slade.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batzilla: Deathstroke could had being smarter or know how to use his powers better.

Deathstroke has more experience.

Some one could know all the martial arts in the world, but that dont mean he will win just because he know every single thing.

This is a flawed logic.

batzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batzilla: Deathstroke could had being smarter or know how to use his powers better.

Deathstroke has more experience.

Some one could know all the martial arts in the world, but that dont mean he will win just because he know every single thing.

This is a flawed logic.

I'm not understanding how its flawed logic, seems like you guys have a severely biased opinion here. We're talking about who's the best fighter here right? Not who has the best powers? Mastering 127 martial arts styles DOES make him a better fighter (last I checked martial arts is used when fighting lmao), and that's without taking Batman's strategic prowess, as well as his countless gadgets, into account.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batzilla: No it doesnt make him a better fighter.

You can go and watch people with zero experience in fighting beat people that train tons of styles and train during years.

Deathstroke its an strategist master too, he has weapons, powers and more experience

PopRock123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PopRock123

Deathstroke is not really known for his martial arts so him as a mentor for Bruce does not really work. Bruce has better strategic feats then Slade, so I can't really see Slade being the one helping Bruce reach the point to where he is now .Bruce intelligence in various fields such as science makes him able to make better weapons(his various mech suits) then Slade.So overall I rather have Bruce have various mentors who excel in science or martial art to teach him.

batzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By batzilla
    @deathpoolthet1000 said:

You can go and watch people with zero experience in fighting beat people that train tons of styles and train during years.

Deathstroke its an strategist master too, he has weapons, powers and more experience

That's nonsense and would only happen in PIS situations.

Ok great so DS is a strategist master too, so they're even? Um not really, Batman has way more stragedy feats than DS, so advantage Batman. Ok great, so you say DS has weapons too? Certainly not as many as Batman. He's got the power that's for sure, but this has been no problem for Batman, since he's beaten people with better powers than DS. More experience? That's null, Batman also has alot of experience, so this is irrelevant.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batzilla said:
    @deathpoolthet1000 said:

Ok great so DS is a strategist master too, so they're even? Um not really, Batman has way more stragedy feats than DS, so advantage Batman. Ok great, so you say DS has weapons too? Certainly not as many as Batman. He's got the power that's for sure, but this has been no problem for Batman, since he's beaten people with better powers than DS. More experience? That's null, Batman also has alot of experience, so this is irrelevant.

That happens in real life, even Bruce Lee talk about it, every single person that know anything about self defense, martial arts an fighting knows this.

Deathstroke has the incredible power of having a brain that works faster that Batman one, also that can do more things and well, he doesnt have a normal human brain, he has an enhanced brain, Deathstroke can take teams down, people forget he take the X Men down and they had Wolverine and Jean Grey.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batzilla said:
    @deathpoolthet1000 said:

That happens in real life, even Bruce Lee talk about it, every single person that know anything about self defense, martial arts an fighting knows this.

Deathstroke has the incredible power of having a brain that works faster that Batman one, also that can do more things and well, he doesnt have a normal human brain, he has an enhanced brain, Deathstroke can take teams down, people forget he take the X Men down and they had Wolverine and Jean Grey.

That definitely sounds like PIS.

batzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batzilla said:
    @deathpoolthet1000 said:

Happens in real life? Guess what, we're talking about comic book characters. In real life DS wouldn't even have these so called enhanced abilities because its impossible in real life lol, so there's something Batman beats him at yet again.

Also regarding beating X-Men, you are not even thinking of the correct character. You are thinking of Deadpool which is a completely different character in a completely different universe LMAO

Butros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Butros

@batzilla said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@batzilla said:
    @deathpoolthet1000 said:

Happens in real life? Guess what, we're talking about comic book characters. In real life DS wouldn't even have these so called enhanced abilities because its impossible in real life lol, so there's something Batman beats him at yet again.

Also regarding beating X-Men, you are not even thinking of the correct character. You are thinking of Deadpool which is a completely different character in a completely different universe LMAO

Nice to read it...so you also mean in real life Batman would never be able to do what he sometimes does?

To be fair in crossover Ds did own both Wolverine and Colossus,it was no canon and If you ask me Ds winning Colossus was pis as much as many fight Batman won...

batzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butros said:

@batzilla said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@batzilla said:
    @deathpoolthet1000 said:

Nice to read it...so you also mean in real life Batman would never be able to do what he sometimes does?

To be fair in crossover Ds did own both Wolverine and Colossus,it was no canon and If you ask me Ds winning Colossus was pis as much as many fight Batman won...

Indeed, but part of what makes Batman so popular is that he's the most likely to happen out of any superhereo. He's about the most realistic out of any other comic book character DC and Marvel can throw at us.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batzilla said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@batzilla said:
    @deathpoolthet1000 said:

The fact you dont know he did this and kick The Punisher in the gonads point how much you care.

Google this.

Also you try to say Batman PIS its a feat and other guys feats are PIS.

Sorry, its PIS for both of them, the thing its that Deathstroke has shown to use his powers to do this thing, when Batman its shown to do this for being Batman.

Batman had lose against Deathstroke in the past and it wasnt PIS, not only he, but several people that dont know 127 martial arts have take him down.

There is millions of martial arts 127 isnt even 1%, heck isnt even 0.01% of martial arts on earth.

He isnt Karate Kid who master all the martial arts.

The Reaper, Shiva, Bronze Tiger and several others, not to say Bane, have shown Batman his 127 style mean nothing.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

@deathpoolthet1000: While I can agree with you that quality over quantity means a lot.

I must say that Bruce's fight has helped him hold his own against The Reaper, Shiva, Bronze Tiger and several others, not to say Bane, by usually ending in stalemates or wins (and there are losses). But I wouldn't say that these combatants prove that Batman's skills mean nothing. It means that they each bring some interesting thing to the fight.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: While I can agree with you that quality over quantity means a lot.

I must say that Bruce's fight has helped him hold his own against The Reaper, Shiva, Bronze Tiger and several others, not to say Bane, by usually ending in stalemates or wins (and there are losses). But I wouldn't say that these combatants prove that Batman's skills mean nothing. It means that they each bring some interesting thing to the fight.

And i never mean that, i mean that people overrates the whole concept of 127 styles, based on the ignorance of how fighting actually works.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Butros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batzilla said:

@butros said:

Indeed, but part of what makes Batman so popular is that he's the most likely to happen out of any superhereo. He's about the most realistic out of any other comic book character DC and Marvel can throw at us.

I agree on this,I like Batman and the Punisher because they're supposed to be only human that survive thanks to their skill and mindset but when I see Batman breaking a motorcycle in half or the Punisher evading Sentry then well...I like them less.

batzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batzilla said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@batzilla said:
    @deathpoolthet1000 said:

The fact you dont know he did this and kick The Punisher in the gonads point how much you care.

Google this.

Also you try to say Batman PIS its a feat and other guys feats are PIS.

Sorry, its PIS for both of them, the thing its that Deathstroke has shown to use his powers to do this thing, when Batman its shown to do this for being Batman.

Batman had lose against Deathstroke in the past and it wasnt PIS, not only he, but several people that dont know 127 martial arts have take him down.

There is millions of martial arts 127 isnt even 1%, heck isnt even 0.01% of martial arts on earth.

He isnt Karate Kid who master all the martial arts.

The Reaper, Shiva, Bronze Tiger and several others, not to say Bane, have shown Batman his 127 style mean nothing.

But these characters have supernatural elements to them, so Batman knowing 127 different styles of martial arts is actually the reason he was able to even take them on in the first place (btw Batman has also beaten these guys, so point actually works against you lol)

batzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butros said:

@batzilla said:

@butros said:

I agree on this,I like Batman and the Punisher because they're supposed to be only human that survive thanks to their skill and mindset but when I see Batman breaking a motorcycle in half or the Punisher evading Sentry then well...I like them less.

Right, this is what makes Batman so popular, and why his movies are the most successful of any other super hero.

Yeah the breaking a motorcyle in half are exaggeration, but these kinds of things don't happen often enough for me to take seriously or against the character, its just a "whatever" moment for me, dismiss it and go back to liking Batman for being so awesome.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@jayc1324 said:

That might have been cool but it didn't happen, as far as we know.

It kinda happened in Arrow.

Batman1130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so because batman is actually generally viewed as having more martial arts skills than slade. And don't get me wrong I'm not saying batman is a better combatant but he is the better martial artist. Slade stated that much himself

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.