Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman continuity question?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In the new 52, does anyone know which of these stories are still canon?

Son of the Demon

Batman/superman/wonder woman trinity

No mans land

Hush

The killing joke

Noel

Year one

Rip

Arkham asylum

The long Halloween

Thanks

Avatar image for deactivated-5e291995a18d6
    deactivated-5e291995a18d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

IDK

We don't really know, but I don't see any reason why it hasn't.

Probably, but there are some slights changes (not knowing Catwoman's identity, for example)

Yes, I'm fairly certain

IDK

I don't believe so

Yes

Probably

Maybe

dmreyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't gotten into New52 as much besides Year Zero (mostly because there are already so many older Batman story arcs I want to read / am currently reading). My explanation is mostly off of what I've read/researched on my own time. That being said, there hasn't been a lot of mention of any of the older stories. I guess it would be best to assume that if it doesn't contradict anything major in the New52 BatVerse, it's still canon (with alterations - for example, there would have been no Tim Drake "Robin" in those stories - he would have been Red Robin I suppose).

Hush hasn't appeared in New52 yet, so he's a possibility until we know more. Son of the Demon was always iffy - obviously the part about Batman/Talia having a son is valid because of the whole Damien thing, but even in the "old" 52 people debated whether the entire story as a whole was in continuity. Killing Joke - the part about Barbara being shot/paralyzed is valid because she's back from surgery. However, parts of the Joker's origin may have changed, as we will most certainly find out in Year Zero. Same with Year One - Snyder said he didn't mean to replace Year One with Year Zero but mostly update it to be a more modern retelling and explain the backstory more in depth than Year One. Long Halloween - probably still intact, at least the part about Harvey "becoming" Two-Face with the acid attack and being an ex-attorney. A lot of people never thought Arkham Asylum was meant to be in continuity, that it was either a really cool "what if" story or that it was intended to be though of as Batman having a nightmare, etc. However, the parts about Dr. Arkham and his back story are mostly canon, as far as I know, especially with how popular the Arkham games have become.

I don't like to think of my favorite Bat stories becoming invalidated by New 52. I prefer to think of it all as really having happened at one point, but due to the FlashPoint screwing up space/time, the whole universe is bits and parts of old and new, with none of the characters remembering the "forgotten" events of the past. I guess a good example would be this: If I flew back in time, to high school, everything I did after my high school career (college, graduate school, getting engaged, etc) still happened, but now that I'm "back" in time, I can choose a different life path ahead of me. Some things may remain the same (my interests, skills, etc), and many of the relationships with my current friends/coworkers would be valid, but that doesn't mean the events will unfold exactly as they did before.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

Son of the Demon: Maybe, but it would be highly modified.

Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman Trinity: No.

No Mans Land: No.

HUSH: No Evidence.

The Killing Joke: Yes, talked about quite often by Batgirl.

Noel: No.

Frank Miller's Year One: No.

RIP: Yes, probably modified minorly but it did happen. For example Joker in RIP knows who Batman is, but that is countered by Death of the Family.

Arkham Asylum: No.

The Long Halloween: No Evidence.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I always assume everything happend if they didn't say specifically that it didn't happen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks or all the thoughts. I wish dc would make a timeline or list or something.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Son of the Demon- yes

Trinity- almost certain no

No Man's Land- references to earthquake, but nothing else; likely no

Hush- no indication of yes or no. Assume yes.

The Killing Joke- yes.

Noel- was never canon.

Year One: yes, but not exactly the way we remember it

RIP- same with Year One.

Arkahm Asylum- the video game, the graphic novel Arkham, or the graphic novel a Serious House? I don't think either book was canon to begin with

Long Halloween- hasn't been referenced, so assume yes. Actually, pray for yes....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish trinity was, I really liked that book.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Durakken

@jayc1324 said:

Thanks or all the thoughts. I wish dc would make a timeline or list or something.

As far as timeline of what happened in DCnU continuity. I have this Timeline I've been working on. Every Issue I've looked through/Read and where there is timeline data that I can't add is marked on the Issues tab. The Issue Order is more or less defunct right now.

As far as a list of titles in the timeline... you should just assume none unless otherwise indicated as a lot of it doesn't work. There are things that have happened but so much is altered that a lot of it is worthless to even put it in there even if in broad strokes it is cannon.

As far as Knight Rise and me disagreeing on a few issues... Year One is not cannon. Year One and Year Zero do not work together so it can't possibly be, not even in broad strokes.

Long Halloween, I haven't seen any references that I know of to something like that but I also haven't read Long Halloween. I really should. I just have never gotten around to it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken: thanks, I'm checking out your timeline. And I'm pretty sure Year One actually is canon, just slightly altered now.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RustyRoy

@jayc1324:

Son of the Demon- yes

Trinity- almost certain no

No Man's Land- references to earthquake, but nothing else; likely no

Hush- no indication of yes or no. Assume yes.

The Killing Joke- yes.

Noel- was never canon.

Year One: yes, but not exactly the way we remember it

RIP- same with Year One.

Arkahm Asylum- the video game, the graphic novel Arkham, or the graphic novel a Serious House? I don't think either book was canon to begin with

Long Halloween- hasn't been referenced, so assume yes. Actually, pray for yes....

This but I don't think any of these happened the way it did before except Batman and Son.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I read somewhere that there were minor changes made to year one, like Selina not being a prostitute, but it's still in continuity.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

I think I read somewhere that there were minor changes made to year one, like Selina not being a prostitute, but it's still in continuity.

Dude, everything in Year One doesn't work. Selina was not a Prostitute. Bruce didn't do all this nonsense in Year Zero. The Red Hood gang didn't happen until a few years into Batman's career. Gordon only just arrive in Year One where as since that would have to occur after Year Zero he's no longer a new arrival...etc etc.

Maybe some form of what generally happened in Year One happened, but not Year One. It is too far removed to say it's that Year One is what happened, especially since most of the iconic pieces that are the broad strokes don't originate from Year One to begin with.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought that's what I said? I said there were some minor changes to the story. So yeah I agree.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

I thought that's what I said? I said there were some minor changes to the story. So yeah I agree.

They aren't minor changes. The story itself is different and most, if not all of the events arent the same.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So some parts of it are still in continuity but not the entire book itself.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

So some parts of it are still in continuity but not the entire book itself.

Yeah something like that.

dmreyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it a little funny how there's all this bickering about how much of Year One's original storyline will still be in continuity or canon in Year Zero considering only one issue out of twelve (not to mention the tie-ins) have been published. It's probably a better argument to re-visit a year from now when Snyder's story is complete.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like zero year is telling the story of before he became batman and how that happened, but there's only been one issue so we will see. Snyder also said that the book is supposed to be about a part of Bruce's life we have never seen before.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thats cool to know! Jayc1324

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

It seems like zero year is telling the story of before he became batman and how that happened, but there's only been one issue so we will see. Snyder also said that the book is supposed to be about a part of Bruce's life we have never seen before.

That's clearly wrong.

Year Zero covers from the time Bruce returns to at least 5 months after that point and in that time he becomes Batman. That means that it covers the exact same time period as Year One.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.