Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman Book Rebranding

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So there are 3 titles dedicated to Batman currently: Batman, Detective Comics and The Dark Knight. I was just thinking about what I would do if I was given a editorial role over the Batbooks and one of the things I thought about was giving each of the aforementioned titles their own distinct feel/theme.

Detective Comics would be focused on Bruce's exploits as the World's Greatest Detective...straight up hire a crime novel guy or gal to come up with mysteries that really challenge from week to week but are also "realistic" and solvable (Encyclopedia Brown for adults????). Over the top villains would rarely show up here.

The Dark Knight would focus more on the mythos of the Bat as established in Gotham, the image that he has with criminals, etc. It would focus a lot more on the smaller, day-to-day battles. So more things like taking on organized crime and the mob as opposed to big bads.

Batman would be the book where the grander adventures occur. The big villains would feature more often here. The scope of the stories would be much more grander and story arcs would be much longer. this is where you'd see a lot of Death of the Family and Court of Owls type stuff.

So....does anybody agree that this would be a good idea (or at least an interesting one?) Can anyone say why this setup would suck? Admittedly I only read Batman so I'd also appreciate it if someone would tell me if this is already how things work between the 3 titles. The basic aim would be to entice readers to buy all 3 titles by giving them a sense that they are really getting something different from the 3 books.

chrisj_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all for this, sounds great. Especially the part about hiring a crime novelist to write for Detective comics that'd be amazing. I dunno though, my idea is that they just condense it all down into one comic really and have a very diverse set of adventures. But like you I only really read Batman not really sure how the others go either.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrisj_1 said:

I'm all for this, sounds great. Especially the part about hiring a crime novelist to write for Detective comics that'd be amazing. I dunno though, my idea is that they just condense it all down into one comic really and have a very diverse set of adventures. But like you I only really read Batman not really sure how the others go either.

I think that having 3 allows them to expand his world a bit but I only think it makes sense as long as it shows different aspects in each book (or rather, that it highlights different aspects in each one. I don't mean to say that his detective skills can't show up in the other two but that they would be central in Detective Comics).

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Ya sounds good, but they would need real good writers for all three

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

This is a very good idea! I don't like how all 3 Batman books are seemingly separate and are all trying to do the same thing. This is an awesome idea of making each title distinct and working together to expand his world. And show the aspects of his crime fighting

Evilmime13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Evilmime13

What about the comic Batman and ........... ? I think that one is made to show his softer side, and to help showcase the Bat Family

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By consolemaster001

Good idea !!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Um but isn't this what they actually do?

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: is it? Because if it is... they've been a bit off themark.

More mystery stories with decent detective work would make me very happy.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Um but isn't this what they actually do?

Honestly, I'm not sure because I only read Batman. From the reviews I read of the other titles, they seem to be the same. But I'm not sure if thats actually the case. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

What about the comic Batman and ........... ? I think that one is made to show his softer side, and to help showcase the Bat Family

So I didn't include this one because, until Damian was killed, I kind of considered this Damian's book (at least partially). Or maybe it's more accurate to say that I thought of it as more of a team book. It already seemed to be kind of doing its own thing, as well. Batman, Inc is another one that I would not really consider here

Ya sounds good, but they would need real good writers for all three

Agreed

@jonny_anonymous: is it? Because if it is... they've been a bit off themark.

More mystery stories with decent detective work would make me very happy.

I'd really like it if they were legit mysteries. Kind of Encyclopedia Brown for adults type stuff where the clues are actually there throughout the book such that you could actually make your own deductions and hypotheses if you are observant enough. That would take a tremendous amount of coordination with the artist, however

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice ideas.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.