Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman Begins vs Batman Year One?

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Which was the better origin story?

Looking back at Y1 I didn't think it was that good, their wasn't much of a villain really and I found myself bored. Obviously BB has the advantage because it was a movie but which was the better origin story? Personally I say BB.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CrimsonCake

Batman begins was basically year one.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Billy Batson

Begins. Year One was mediocre.
    BB

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BatWatch

Batman Begins and Year One were significantly different. I prefer Year One. Yes, it lacked a main humanoid villain, but who cares? The main villain of Year One was the corruption of Gotham. It makes sense that Batman would have to battle the corrups police force before masked menaces started to bother the populace. Year One also has the advantage of telling the origin story of Comissioner Gordon. Finally, the action scenes in Batman Begins were kind of lame. Rather than see Bruce mix it up with baddies, we had character being yanked off screen by a cloak. Not satisfying in my book.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By batshrine

@PsychoKnights said:

Batman Begins and Year One were significantly different. I prefer Year One. Yes, it lacked a main humanoid villain, but who cares? The main villain of Year One was the corruption of Gotham. It makes sense that Batman would have to battle the corrups police force before masked menaces started to bother the populace. Year One also has the advantage of telling the origin story of Comissioner Gordon. Finally, the action scenes in Batman Begins were kind of lame. Rather than see Bruce mix it up with baddies, we had character being yanked off screen by a cloak. Not satisfying in my book.

I agree with this post! I also would add that the ending killed it for me. Batman drank alcohol which for one he doesn't drink at all. Just fakes it. And he murdered someone. Now I don't care if Ra's Al Ghul was the worlds most vicious murderer, Batman is not the executioner. Plus I always kind of prefer Ra's and Batman encounters kind of end on stalemates where Batman slows Ra's plans but Ra's will still continue. I love their dynamic!

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By gotwillpower

I think Batman Begins was more entertaining, but Year One was more profound. For example, Bruce's first attempt at crime-fighting was funny; he threatened Gordon with a stapler, and then he nearly killed himself jumping off the roof. In Year One, he gets stabbed by the girl he tries to help, and then shot by a police officer.

Tell you the truth, I can't decide which I liked better. I suppose I'll just say I like Year One better because of the costume.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Deranged Midget

I truly never appreciated Year One until the animated film came out. That being said, Batman Begins is my favourite Nolan Bat-film so I'm biased towards it.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Alexander505

Year One ;)

OldManDuncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OldManDuncan

@Billy Batson said:

Begins. Year One was mediocre.
    BB

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10  Edited By RedOwl_1

Begins....... just because actually had a villain and they dealed with all that 'fear' stuff, a very good beginning :D

Year One was good, very good but Begins was AWESOME 8-) ((and DK was more awesome that begins and so Rises :P))

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#11  Edited By BatWatch

@batshrine said:

@PsychoKnights said:

I agree with this post! I also would add that the ending killed it for me. Batman drank alcohol which for one he doesn't drink at all. Just fakes it. And he murdered someone. Now I don't care if Ra's Al Ghul was the worlds most vicious murderer, Batman is not the executioner. Plus I always kind of prefer Ra's and Batman encounters kind of end on stalemates where Batman slows Ra's plans but Ra's will still continue. I love their dynamic!

I didn't mind Bruce letting Ra's die, but it is out of character for Batman. I never even thought about him drinking.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Martian

Begins, I personally never cared for Year One (even that animated movie)...

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

both are great.,

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Batman begins

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Begins. Batman year one the comic and the animated movie was kinda bland. I liked it it but compared to BB ,bland.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Begins. Batman year one the comic and the animated movie was kinda bland. I liked it it but compared to BB ,bland.

Year One focused more on Gordon. Not that it''s a bad thing but that's what it is.

dragonrampage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@comicdude23: year one is the best. They don't tell you where he went giving it a more mysterious air to him and he has very reasonable human limitations and ability's. The movie tells everything and ruins some of the mystery behind Batman, in the books we don't know were handoff goes at times, he is a wizard. Why show were batman trained.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By infantfinite128

Batman Begins is a great movie.

I much prefer Year One though. It's in my top 2 Batman stories.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: It's difficult to compare stories told in different mediums. Christian Bale definitely wouldn't have had much to work with in Year One. He's my favorite actor working today and he played my favorite fictional character, so it would stink if he didn't have much to do. That was a complaint had with the other movies.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for hauntedgraveyard
    HauntedGraveyard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Begins for me. I found year one very boring and it was more of a Gordon story than a Batman story.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Begins for me. I found year one very boring and it was more of a Gordon story than a Batman story.

fair enough

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

• Batman: Year one was a magnificently written story with great comic panels that captured the gritty nauces of Gotham criminal underworld.
    • But i prefer Begins becuase it felt more layered and fleshed as a Batman: Origin story.
    Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Begins

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the first hour of Batman Begins.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
    ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Begins was beautifully orchestrated in so many ways. Imo it was the perfect Batman Origin story, I like the New52 origin best but Batman Begins was just beautiful

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.