Batman Begins vs Batman Year One?

#1 Posted by comicdude23 (11331 posts) - - Show Bio

Which was the better origin story?

Looking back at Y1 I didn't think it was that good, their wasn't much of a villain really and I found myself bored. Obviously BB has the advantage because it was a movie but which was the better origin story? Personally I say BB.

#2 Posted by CrimsonCake (2682 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman begins was basically year one.

#3 Posted by Billy Batson (58319 posts) - - Show Bio

Begins. Year One was mediocre.
BB

#4 Posted by BatWatch (3038 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Begins and Year One were significantly different. I prefer Year One. Yes, it lacked a main humanoid villain, but who cares? The main villain of Year One was the corruption of Gotham. It makes sense that Batman would have to battle the corrups police force before masked menaces started to bother the populace. Year One also has the advantage of telling the origin story of Comissioner Gordon. Finally, the action scenes in Batman Begins were kind of lame. Rather than see Bruce mix it up with baddies, we had character being yanked off screen by a cloak. Not satisfying in my book.

#5 Posted by batshrine (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

@PsychoKnights said:

Batman Begins and Year One were significantly different. I prefer Year One. Yes, it lacked a main humanoid villain, but who cares? The main villain of Year One was the corruption of Gotham. It makes sense that Batman would have to battle the corrups police force before masked menaces started to bother the populace. Year One also has the advantage of telling the origin story of Comissioner Gordon. Finally, the action scenes in Batman Begins were kind of lame. Rather than see Bruce mix it up with baddies, we had character being yanked off screen by a cloak. Not satisfying in my book.

I agree with this post! I also would add that the ending killed it for me. Batman drank alcohol which for one he doesn't drink at all. Just fakes it. And he murdered someone. Now I don't care if Ra's Al Ghul was the worlds most vicious murderer, Batman is not the executioner. Plus I always kind of prefer Ra's and Batman encounters kind of end on stalemates where Batman slows Ra's plans but Ra's will still continue. I love their dynamic!

#6 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Batman Begins was more entertaining, but Year One was more profound. For example, Bruce's first attempt at crime-fighting was funny; he threatened Gordon with a stapler, and then he nearly killed himself jumping off the roof. In Year One, he gets stabbed by the girl he tries to help, and then shot by a police officer.

Tell you the truth, I can't decide which I liked better. I suppose I'll just say I like Year One better because of the costume.

#7 Posted by Deranged Midget (17968 posts) - - Show Bio

I truly never appreciated Year One until the animated film came out. That being said, Batman Begins is my favourite Nolan Bat-film so I'm biased towards it.

#8 Posted by Alexander505 (2177 posts) - - Show Bio

Year One ;)

#9 Posted by Duncan (11445 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

Begins. Year One was mediocre.
BB

#10 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Begins....... just because actually had a villain and they dealed with all that 'fear' stuff, a very good beginning :D

Year One was good, very good but Begins was AWESOME 8-) ((and DK was more awesome that begins and so Rises :P))

#11 Posted by BatWatch (3038 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

@PsychoKnights said:

I agree with this post! I also would add that the ending killed it for me. Batman drank alcohol which for one he doesn't drink at all. Just fakes it. And he murdered someone. Now I don't care if Ra's Al Ghul was the worlds most vicious murderer, Batman is not the executioner. Plus I always kind of prefer Ra's and Batman encounters kind of end on stalemates where Batman slows Ra's plans but Ra's will still continue. I love their dynamic!

I didn't mind Bruce letting Ra's die, but it is out of character for Batman. I never even thought about him drinking.

#12 Posted by Video_Martian (5562 posts) - - Show Bio

Begins, I personally never cared for Year One (even that animated movie)...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.