Batman Battle of the Month: Batman vs. X-23

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by k4tzm4n (48742 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Bruce Wayne have what it takes to best Laura Kinney? Will his skill, gadgets and tactical mind be enough to compensate for her lethal mindset, healing factor and adamantium claws? Well, that's for you to decide. Yes, you. As these two duke it out, you'll have until Friday morning to think about how it would all go down. Can Batman earn a majority of wins or will X-23 outlast him in combat? Before voting, please be sure to read all of the following rules.

Match Rules

  • Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 30 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, etc.
  • Standard gear.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.

CLICK HERE TO VOTE!!!

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

  • Thoughts from the staff.
  • A Viner Argument for both characters (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future "Batman: Battle of the Month" suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

Online
#1 Posted by darktiger (4622 posts) - - Show Bio

Great setup

#2 Posted by fables87 (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

X-23 IS AWESOME!

#3 Posted by youknowwhattodo (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering that this is a random encounter (so no prep-time B.S.) combined with her skill set negating a lot of Batman's strengths, I would go with X-23. Not to say that there's no way the Dark Knight can win, it's just easier for me to envision X-23 coming out on top.

Online
#4 Posted by BlackBolt35 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

As much i love batman i don't see him coming out of this one with the victory, maybe with sleeping gas he can knock her out but other then that X-23 take this

#5 Posted by AlKusanagi (610 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't Cassandra Kane Batgirl able to hold her own against Bruce? And X-23 is pretty much her with a godlike healing factor and built in weapons. She takes it.

#6 Edited by k4tzm4n (48742 posts) - - Show Bio

@alkusanagi said:

Wasn't Cassandra Kane Batgirl able to hold her own against Bruce? And X-23 is pretty much her with a godlike healing factor and built in weapons. She takes it.

There's similarities between the two, but in terms of skill, X-23 is not Cassie.

Online
#7 Posted by ARMIV2 (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm leaning towards Laura here.

#8 Edited by GraniteSoldier (8469 posts) - - Show Bio

So it begins!

#9 Posted by theodixon9 (542 posts) - - Show Bio

How long does X-23 have to be knocked out for: a few seconds, minutes or longer? Also, does Batman have knowledge of her powers before hand?

#10 Posted by FLStyle (368 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think X-23 can finish off Batman before he works out her abilities and uses them to his advantage.

I say Batman

#11 Edited by k4tzm4n (48742 posts) - - Show Bio

@theodixon9 said:

How long does X-23 have to be knocked out for: a few seconds, minutes or longer? Also, does Batman have knowledge of her powers before hand?

Temporary knockout/temporary incapacitation have never been strictly defined in this segment. I'd say more than a handful of seconds (6+, perhaps?) -- enough time to Batman to think his enemy is defeated and then use a grappling line to leave the region.

No, it's a random encounter between two individuals from different worlds, so neither character has immediate knowledge on the other.

Online
#12 Posted by animehunter (2127 posts) - - Show Bio

Normally I would side with Laura/X-23 but as it's Batman my vote would be too close to call

Reasons

  • They are both strategist of the highest calibre
  • They are both accomplished fighter, trained but masters
  • Batman has held his own against the most formidable of foes
  • Most of Laura's opponents had been again enemies similar to her, she has never fought anyone that comes close to Batman's skills as far as I know.
  • They are both accomplished trackers in their own way

And although this might have tipped things in laura's favour, I would still vote on it being too close to call

Those would be

  • If somehow trigger scent came into play, Batman would have a though time of it, but he's dealt with similar.
  • X-23 would go in with the intent to kill, Batman has also dealt with similar.

#13 Posted by Outside_85 (9521 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Does Batman know anything about her before the fight starts?

#14 Posted by Outside_85 (9521 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Does Batman have any knowledge about his opponent beforehand?

#15 Edited by k4tzm4n (48742 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Does Batman have any knowledge about his opponent beforehand?

No, it's a random encounter.

Online
#17 Edited by theodixon9 (542 posts) - - Show Bio

This may sound like a stupid question but I'm not really an expert in comicvine speak: what are scans?

#18 Edited by TBEMrMcCoy (625 posts) - - Show Bio

Due to Batman's attraction to teenagers and women in tight black leather.... X 23 seduces him then slices the jugular with her BEYOND HUMAN reflexes and speed. Lol

#19 Posted by k4tzm4n (48742 posts) - - Show Bio

This may sound like a stupid question but I'm not really an expert in comicvine speak: what are scans?

Scans are just images taken directly from comic book issues.

Online
#20 Posted by Frozen (14323 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman.

#21 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

X-23. Her healing factor and her ninja skills!

#22 Posted by Hawkguy (579 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman's gone up against a dozen talons while in his bath robe and pj's, and he's fought off a talon while starving and thirsty, and hallucinating.

Talons have a healing factor, and I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure they have heightened senses as well as decades of experience. I think the easy decision to give it to x23 should be reconsidered

#23 Posted by asjmooney (169 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a tough one

#24 Posted by frozenedge (1287 posts) - - Show Bio

What is this respect you speak of? I know of no such thing :p

#25 Posted by CF12793 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say X-23. If it's a random encounter, Batman will most likely go for H2H upon seeing that X-23 is carrying no weaponry. X-23 isn't as skilled as Batman, but with the damage output her claws can do to Batman, and given the fact that her regenerative healing factor would nullify a majority of his hits (Though she'd still feel them, that's for sure), I'd say that he wouldn't win this fight. On the other hand, Bruce has experience fighting just about all kinds of foes. I don't think he'd beat X-23, but would he make it easy for her? Heck no.

#26 Posted by kaiklown (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman would take her out in a minute. No chance. And why has Batman been in every other fight on here? Your going to get a lot of silly people saying Batman because hes the god damn Batman and stuff so its kind of redundant having him fight. Have more obscure characters duke it out.

#27 Posted by COBRAMORPH (1565 posts) - - Show Bio

first off, x-23 cant beat batman because she is a girl.

Second, she is out of her league. But her up against a Batgirl, maybe you'd have a fight.

#28 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

first off, x-23 cant beat batman because she is a girl.

Second, she is out of her league. But her up against a Batgirl, maybe you'd have a fight.

You apparently aren't in the know. X-23 solos.

#29 Edited by k4tzm4n (48742 posts) - - Show Bio

@kaiklown said:

Batman would take her out in a minute. No chance. And why has Batman been in every other fight on here? Your going to get a lot of silly people saying Batman because hes the god damn Batman and stuff so its kind of redundant having him fight. Have more obscure characters duke it out.

Well, it is called the "Batman Battle of the Month" and he technically hasn't been in it for the past 3 months.

Online
#30 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@kaiklown said:

Batman would take her out in a minute. No chance. And why has Batman been in every other fight on here? Your going to get a lot of silly people saying Batman because hes the god damn Batman and stuff so its kind of redundant having him fight. Have more obscure characters duke it out.

Well, it is called the "Batman Battle of the Month" and he technically hasn't been in it for the past 3 months.

LMAO

#31 Edited by TheReddyHoodie (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy: Funny you say that since X-23 is is also called Talon.

As for me, I have to go with X-23. Although the Talons possess a healing factor, I doubt that it is on the mutant level like Wolverine. And according to X-23's page, "[Her] healing factor is believed to be superior to that of Wolverine's, due to the fact that, apart from her claws, the rest of her skeleton has not been coated in adamantium." She also has super human senses, agility, and reflexes. Im not saying this is a walk in the park for Laura. This fight can easily last all night. I think it will end with Bruce bleeding out.

(Oh, hey! The girl in my avatar next to me is also an X-23 cosplayer.)

#33 Edited by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean really, X-23 clearly wins.

#34 Posted by mak13131313 (587 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course Batman!

#35 Posted by thenexusrebound (248 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm since it is a random encounter this could be a long fight. Yes, Batman has taken down master assassins but even he got tripped up by the Talons. X-23 is an amazing fighter and has gone toe to toe with Logan. Too close to call.

#36 Posted by R3DF13LD (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Bats is one of my top five favorite, BUT i think X-23 would win the fight.

#37 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by mak13131313 (587 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by MythiiC (52 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna have to go for X-23 (6 out of 10 fights) and here's why.

In a random encounter, 30 feet away - both of them can see each other & analyse the threat. Neither character is stupid, so they'll evaluate the target. Now Bat's is designed to look intimidating, seemingly posing a greater threat, whereas X-23 frankly doesn't look anywhere near as intimidating. Batman will underestimate X-23, that's a given. I really don't see a scenario where he knows of her healing factor & claws before they trade blows, so the surprise will tip the favour towards X-23.

(Just to clarify, the reason Bats will most likely underestimate X-23 is because she has no visible weapons - whereas in reality, she has 2 sets of claws & 2 blades in either foot. If Batman went in for a hand-to-hand takedown without this information, he's toast. He's an excellent combatant, but even his armour isn't strong enough to take on adamantium blades!)

X-23 will see that Batman is kitted out on armour, and I doubt that she'll miss the fact that he has gadgets, so she'll see him as a threat.

Both characters are fast, theres no doubting that. I see Bat's getting the first blow on, due to his gadgets - so he may chuck a few batarangs, or potentially a gas pellet. Neither of these will put X-23 down & her healing factor should prevent the gas from proving effective (in theory) - however, they may be effective enough to help Batman secure a win. Depending how fast they are thrown, it may cause X-23 to use her claws (e.g. to block a batarang) - which will, of course, reveal that she is a greater threat than initially thought, and may lead to Batman taking a step back & planning out a takedown.

It's worth noting that it's only X-23's claws that are coated in adamantium, so she's not difficult to knock out (in comparison to Wolverine).

If Batman can get the drop on X-23, it's game over - he'll do a swift takedown & won't give X-23 a chance to react. The main issue with this is that it's all very circumstantial. If Batman can see all sets of claws before engaging in hand to hand & deducing that she has a healing factor, then I can see it being in Bat's favour, but that's difficult to determine without trading a single blow. I dunno, he's considered the worlds greatest detective, maybe his analysis would save him the majority of the time, but even then, X-23 is skilled as well (& willing to take that killing blow).

In a set of random encounters, I believe X-23 will take it. All she has to do is get a good jab in with her claws, or a single kick to connect, and it's pretty much over for Bat's. He's good, but he gets tagged a lot, and this will most likely prove to be his downfall in a straight up fight.


First time contributing to one of these fights, I apologize if what I've said is completely wrong! :D

#41 Posted by k4tzm4n (48742 posts) - - Show Bio

@mythiic said:

I'm gonna have to go for X-23 (6 out of 10 fights) and here's why.

In a random encounter, 30 feet away - both of them can see each other & analyse the threat. Neither character is stupid, so they'll evaluate the target. Now Bat's is designed to look intimidating, seemingly posing a greater threat, whereas X-23 frankly doesn't look anywhere near as intimidating. Batman will underestimate X-23, that's a given. I really don't see a scenario where he knows of her healing factor & claws before they trade blows, so the surprise will tip the favour towards X-23.

(Just to clarify, the reason Bats will most likely underestimate X-23 is because she has no visible weapons - whereas in reality, she has 2 sets of claws & 2 blades in either foot. If Batman went in for a hand-to-hand takedown without this information, he's toast. He's an excellent combatant, but even his armour isn't strong enough to take on adamantium blades!)

X-23 will see that Batman is kitted out on armour, and I doubt that she'll miss the fact that he has gadgets, so she'll see him as a threat.

Both characters are fast, theres no doubting that. I see Bat's getting the first blow on, due to his gadgets - so he may chuck a few batarangs, or potentially a gas pellet. Neither of these will put X-23 down & her healing factor should prevent the gas from proving effective (in theory) - however, they may be effective enough to help Batman secure a win. Depending how fast they are thrown, it may cause X-23 to use her claws (e.g. to block a batarang) - which will, of course, reveal that she is a greater threat than initially thought, and may lead to Batman taking a step back & planning out a takedown.

It's worth noting that it's only X-23's claws that are coated in adamantium, so she's not difficult to knock out (in comparison to Wolverine).

If Batman can get the drop on X-23, it's game over - he'll do a swift takedown & won't give X-23 a chance to react. The main issue with this is that it's all very circumstantial. If Batman can see all sets of claws before engaging in hand to hand & deducing that she has a healing factor, then I can see it being in Bat's favour, but that's difficult to determine without trading a single blow. I dunno, he's considered the worlds greatest detective, maybe his analysis would save him the majority of the time, but even then, X-23 is skilled as well (& willing to take that killing blow).

In a set of random encounters, I believe X-23 will take it. All she has to do is get a good jab in with her claws, or a single kick to connect, and it's pretty much over for Bat's. He's good, but he gets tagged a lot, and this will most likely prove to be his downfall in a straight up fight.

First time contributing to one of these fights, I apologize if what I've said is completely wrong! :D

Thanks for chiming in and welcome! Please be sure to copy/paste your post in the poll thread if you'd like it to be considered for the "Viner Argument of the Week."

Online
#42 Edited by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: What if I copy/paste it? Would I get the cred?

#43 Edited by MythiiC (52 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n said:

@mythiic said:

Thanks for chiming in and welcome! Please be sure to copy/paste your post in the poll thread if you'd like it to be considered for the "Viner Argument of the Week."

Will do, thanks! And thanks for the welcome.

#44 Posted by k4tzm4n (48742 posts) - - Show Bio

@erik said:

@k4tzm4n: What if I copy/paste it? Would I get the cred?

You'd get the "Shia LaBeouf of the Week" award.

Online
#45 Posted by dagmar_merrill (9439 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@erik said:

@k4tzm4n: What if I copy/paste it? Would I get the cred?

You'd get the "Shia LaBeouf of the Week" award.

LOL!

#46 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@erik said:

@k4tzm4n: What if I copy/paste it? Would I get the cred?

You'd get the "Shia LaBeouf of the Week" award.

LMAO!

#47 Posted by Wolverine08 (43606 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking at things, I think I would have to back Laura for the majority here. Bruce does indisputably have the skill advantage in terms of raw technical skill, but I do think Laura has the means to compete. She's been able to defeat and stalemate fighters like Wolverine and Daken(Under circumstantial means no doubt, but still impressive), and is a rigorously trained combat herself. Laura even got a very decisive victory over Lady Deathstrike. She also has another edge here in terms of skill that I think will help her. In contrast to her father Wolverine whom is a more instinctual combatant, Laura is a more tactical adversary. She's taken advantage of Wolverine holding back on her to bleed his wounds out, has been noted on panel to know how to come up with a copious amount of ways to kill someone on the fly. She obviously isn't Batman's superior in this regard, but Laura using her tactical skill along with her other advantages like the healing factor and damage ouput via the claws is an advantage that shouldn't be forgotten. The healing factor is another X factor here. Granted, since Laura does not have an adamantium skeleton, she can be injured in more ways to be injured, but her feats like surviving getting napalmed, reattaching limbs, tanking shark bites, etc. do lead me to believe that she can soak the equipment Bruce usually pops out to deal with street levelers at first glance. I do think that Laura's healing factor gives Bruce the advantage that he can let loose more, but I see him using lighter gear like tasers, low grade bombs, etc. which Laura can soak in copious amounts due to her healing factor which is vaunted as being superior to that of even Wolverine's due to the lack of adamantium poisoning at first when he doesn't know the ludicrous extent of Laura's healing factor before he jumps to the heavy stuff in that belt. I think Laura brings superior weaponry as well. The adamantium claws mean she can put more crippling damage at a higher rate on Bruce than I can see him replicating on here. She's got the speed that I would say is fairly comparable to Bruce's along with her ferocity to put damage on him in spades. Overall, this is a good matchup, but I think X-23's skill, durability/healing factor, and weaponry should net her a majority.

Online
#48 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6465 posts) - - Show Bio

I sling mud at all of you!!!

That said, if this fight were to go down in a comic, Batman would win hands down. He's the damn Batman!!

If we look at on paper stats and abilities, coupled with feats, not so much. But the real clincher are the morals that are in place. Laura's durability is off the charts and Bruce is going to start this fight looking at a teenage girl. He will pull his punches. She won't. Ultimately, that would be his undoing. Were he to know what he's up against, I see this fight going poorly for Laura. Bruce has the gadgetry, the smarts and the martial ability to take her down. But not going in blind.

Laura takes a majority due to this being a random encounter and Bruce getting all tangled up in his stringent moral code. Testing the waters before doing what he'll need to do will be his undoing.

#49 Edited by medulaoblaganda (966 posts) - - Show Bio

x 23 is a ruthless character, she doesn't hold back. she will slice and dice batman. and again x 23 is very very flexible with insane skills. she is more like spider man in terms of acrobat, reflexes, speed, agility, x 23 is even more durable than batman. i don't even see batman taking her out. if her claws touch batman, lol batman is dead.

#50 Posted by Timotheus316 (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Love em both but Batman has her on sheer experience alone.

Online

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.