Batman Battle of the Month: Batman vs. Cyclops

• 149 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (44255 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh yes, it's that time again, Viners! This month, Scott Summers will take on DC's Dark Knight. Both are brilliant tacticians, but who will come out on top? Will Cyclops' blasts of concussive force keep Bruce down for the count... or does Batman have the skill and equipment required to take down the former leader of the X-Men?

Yes, I've changed the title of the feature from "Does Batman Always Win?" to "Batman Battle of the Month." Why? Because the focus of the conversation should be on the battle, not confusion over whether there's some kind of implication in the title. Anyway, read on to see the rules for the match and then click the link when you're ready to vote, read the debate, or present an argument of your own!

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 50 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, etc..
  • All characters have standard gear.
  • This is PRE-PHOENIX FORCE Cyclops. This way he actually has control of his power.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination.

CLICK HERE TO VOTE!!!

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• My extended thoughts on the match.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine staffers.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

Staff
#1 Posted by frogjitsu (481 posts) - - Show Bio

Did NOT expect this battle. Yay, CYCLOPS!!!!! (Not that i think he will when, but it's nice to think about a battle between these two.)

#2 Edited by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion, this all depends on how quickly Cyclops resorts to his optic blasts. If he immediately decides to drop one, he'll obliterate Batman. The blasts are fast enough to hit Wolverine (who has superhuman speed and reflexes), and they have enough range to level a mountain. Bruce will probably be killed. If Cyke doesn't immediately resort to his optic blasts, and makes this a hand to hand battle, he'll definitely lose. I don't think he's an equal physically to Bruce, and he is definitely a couple of tiers below Bruce fighting skill wise. I'm leaning towards Batman here because I don't think Cyclops will use his optic blasts immediately.

#3 Posted by MythiiC (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Cyclops are both smart, however I think Batman might have the edge due to his gadgets & stealth - although Cyclops could easily hit him with an optic blast and end the match quickly.

Im gonna go Batman for 7/10.

Cyclops shouldn't be underestimated though, which I may have done here.

#4 Posted by heroesgold (608 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops is going to have to act fast and keep track to beat Batman. If he loses Batman, the battle is done already.

#5 Posted by Cassius_Knightfall (8332 posts) - - Show Bio

Its tough because if Bruce hits Cyke in the face he could theoretically kill himself . In h2h batman edges it 6/4 due to it being his bread and butter where as his opponent is very skilled but he has the blasts to go back to if it goes badly. If Cyclops gets one clean shot in he would at the very least KO Bruce, ranged battle 7/3 as a result of the blast prowess.

#6 Edited by ALFMutant (151 posts) - - Show Bio

#7 Posted by daredevil21134 (11850 posts) - - Show Bio

Waits for God Spawn

#8 Edited by leokearon (1805 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman wins. A depowered Storm overpowered Cyclops in Uncanny 201. All she did and what batman has to do is remove Cyclops visor and he wins since Cyke can't risk unleashing a completely uncontrolled blast.

#9 Posted by newmutants45 (20 posts) - - Show Bio

@leokearon:

In an unpopulated setting as the rules of the game suggest he could let loose. The only person he would have to worry about killing is Batman.

#10 Posted by IIDEADxPOOLII (1414 posts) - - Show Bio

One direct optic blast is all it would take.

#11 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Hand to Hand Bat's , but Cyke is all business, no time to play. I going with Cyke, I don't see how he could get in range to defeat Cyke, an he'd have to be in range and Batarangs won't cut it with this guy!

#12 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops

#13 Edited by copete (1087 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops should have this. Random encounter, so I am sure Batman doesn't carry ruby quartz.

They will feel each out and Cyclops will know he is outmatched physically. Batman won't see it coming. Optic blast and Cyclops can use the environment to use those deflected blasts.

He has hit guys like Spider-Man, Wolverine who are both above Batman in reflexes.

#14 Posted by Cypher4 (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman only wins if he doesn't use his optic blast. And there's no reason to assume he wouldn't. Even if he doesn't want to kill him, he'd still use his blast to at least put him down.

#15 Posted by IamV (108 posts) - - Show Bio

@leokearon: alright, but Batman doesn't know Cyclops as well as Storm does. They have been friends and teammates for a years. It's like saying Cyclops beats Superman because Batman used kryptonite. On top of that Batman is not regarded as a friend by Cyclops so I don't think he would be quite opposed to opening his eyes on Batman if Bats yanked his visor off.

#16 Posted by copete (1087 posts) - - Show Bio

@leokearon: She didn't over power, didn;t she just remove his visor?

#17 Posted by hulkinglory (12 posts) - - Show Bio

in a un-populated setting surely cyclops would just fire blasts moving his head from left to right slowly leveling the urban area thus giving him a sight advantage and fire at the big black moving thing that is the dark knight but this is only if cyclops actually goes full offensive

cyclops 8/10

#18 Edited by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

One well placed blast from Cyke could mean victory...the real question is would Bats allow that to happen? Batman's the better tactician and would find a means to defeat Cyke before the blast came I say.

#19 Edited by GreenFuse (295 posts) - - Show Bio

If I were Cyclops, I would take my visor off, open my eyes, and just spin around and around.
Afterwards, Batman would be a pile of goo and the city would be leveled. But you can make more cities so who cares about that?

Cyclops ftw.

#20 Posted by leokearon (1805 posts) - - Show Bio

Dodge Photomanip but you get the point

#21 Posted by leokearon (1805 posts) - - Show Bio

@iamv:

This isn't a fight to the death, Cyke still has standards and he wouldn't risk killing anyone with an uncontrollable blast, it's part of his character and has been since he first appeared

#22 Posted by copete (1087 posts) - - Show Bio

Dodge Photomanip but you get the point

hahahah that was funny

#23 Posted by _RiuTinubu (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, there we go.

#24 Posted by Mellow_Hype (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman because Cyclops would never start a fight against a non mutant with the optic blasts. In hand to hand combat Batman takes it.

#25 Posted by SlickyMike88 (224 posts) - - Show Bio

zapp....end of Batman:P it's eye beams , c'mon:P

#26 Posted by Jake Fury (18670 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Edited by ekrolo (434 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman

#29 Edited by Bobsjonjon (228 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce !

#30 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5426 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops

#31 Posted by Anjales (434 posts) - - Show Bio

Aww man you should have kept the title "Does Batman always win?" because then I would always answer "Yes because he's Batman".

#32 Edited by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20257 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman has this.

Batman is a superior hand-to-hand combatant (though Cyclops is no slouch), in better peak physical shape, vastly more intelligent and resourceful, more versatile, and more. I'll display some scans I've had for a while now.

Strength

• Batman is strong enough to break Killer Croc's leg with a single kick

Reflexes

• Evading machine-gun fire

Durability

• Batman's punishing battle with Lincoln March (his younger brother)
  • Taking down Clayface on Venom
  • Fighting Bane on Venom, who is also extremely resistant against pain
  • Defeating Talon, despite being tortured, poisoned, starved, and stabbed.
  • Batman tanking Superman's blow (holding back of course, but still impressive)

Now, most people will probably STILL say that Scott's optic blasts are too fast, or have an explosive radius of too much for The Dark Knight to handle. I disagree, as Batman and his cowl have endured countless close-range explosions, as well as similar blasts before.

• Tanking direct sonic blasts and a full ram by a car via Nobody (with a broken arm).
  • Brushing off/evading an explosion behind him.
  • Evading close-range suicidal bomb explosions by mind-controlled Batmen
  • Surviving yet another explosion rigged by Cobb

The next set of scans for me, most accurately displays the most likely scenario if Cyclops started spamming his optic blasts.

• Batman dodging Malik's light constructs

On top of that, there is plenty of cover in a downtown city. Countless buildings, cars, lamp posts, and more that Batman can take cover under. Also, it is night, so Batman has the massive advantage of stealth. Not to mention that Cyclop's costume in most incarnations is VERY vibrant, and very easy to spot if it is night.

I'd say Batman takes this 7/10, or even 8/10.

#33 Edited by mediator (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I think people forget that Cyclops is one of the best H2H fighters in the X-Men...Possibly the best. :l

#34 Posted by RageEx2 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: you should've posted that in the battle topic instead of here, more people would see it/debate it

and i don't think batman getting attacked by superman is really a feat

#36 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20257 posts) - - Show Bio

@rageex2 said:

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: you should've posted that in the battle topic instead of here, more people would see it/debate it

and i don't think batman getting attacked by superman is really a feat

I did post it in there as well (I also have a no-scan version).

And the Superman slamming Batman was a durability feat. Despite Superman holding back, you could clearly see it was a lot of force from his surroundings. The Bat-Suit must be very durable.

#37 Posted by TheHeat (451 posts) - - Show Bio

One optic blast and it's over. Cyke for the win.

#38 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@theheat said:

One optic blast and it's over. Cyke for the win.

He's still gotta hit Bats and in a city environment that'd be hard to pull off.

#39 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of hating you K4tz, I love Bats and hate Cyclops. The fanboy in me is screaming Batman, but I'm going to be realistic about this: I think Cyclops takes it. He can tag Wolverine, who like batman, dodges gunfire casually. This would mean his optic blasts are faster than gunfire. There's also the fact that those blasts can knock Wolverine on his ass and send his head spinning, a man with extreme durability and an enhanced healing factor, something Batman doesn't have. Sure is suit is bulletproof, but Cykes blasts aren't bullets, it is concussive force. Force that can carve rock and when he really cuts loose, level mountains.

Batman can absolutely win this is he can close the distance, Cyclops is a more than capable fighter, but I don't put him on Wolverine's or for that matter Batman's level. Batman has defeated stronger, more capable opponents in hand to hand (Bane comes to mind), and has a great plethora of tech to take Cyke down. But, even if he closes the distance, Cyke can blast at close range, and the closer Bats is the harder it will be to dodge.

I'm going to withhold voting for a bit, do some more research, but right now I am leaning Cyclops.

#40 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

That depends, are his blasts on stun or kill?

Joking aside, Like many have said if Cyke does go for optic blasts instead of hand to hand combat then he wins.

#41 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: I'm sorry but that croc feat is PIS. Batman's very strong and has been able to defeat croc before but never just break his leg like that.

#42 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20257 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363 said:

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: I'm sorry but that croc feat is PIS. Batman's very strong and has been able to defeat croc before but never just break his leg like that.

Doesn't really seem like PIS. At the most maybe Batman used a technique, or Croc's leg was already at an irregular angle.

#43 Edited by kaiklown (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman vs someone again... Zzzzzzzzzzzz what is going on

#44 Posted by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

You didn't change the name of the thread. You made a new thread instead. Before it was, "Does Batman Always Win" with you giving your opinion on the fight. Now it's "Batman monthly Battle" where it will become a popularity contest.

Oh well.

-m3th.O.D.-

#45 Posted by k4tzm4n (44255 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th said:

You didn't change the name of the thread. You made a new thread instead. Before it was, "Does Batman Always Win" with you giving your opinion on the fight. Now it's "Batman monthly Battle" where it will become a popularity contest.

Oh well.

-m3th.O.D.-

The decision to add a poll was implemented last month and it was still called "Does Batman Always Win?" at that point. Here's the blurb from the previous intro:

"Whoa, what's going on in here? This doesn't look like 'Does Batman Always Win?' at all! WHERE AM I?!"

Fear not, friend, you're in the right place. I've been super happy with the success of the 'Comic Vine Battle of the Week,' so I thought I would merge my Batman segment with it. It seems slightly confusing, I know, but hear me out because I swear it's totally not. Once a month, the 'CV Battle of the Week' will technically be the latest 'Does Batman Always Win?' as well. Why? Because I'm thrilled to see how much fun you're all having with the week-long debates and voting, so I thought, "Why not let you all join in on the fun with DBAW as well?"

Basically, my latest DBAW will be posted once a month on a Monday. As you can see, the latest one is against Taskmaster, the incredibly talented mercenary from Marvel. In 'CV Battle of the Week' fashion, you'll all have until Friday morning to debate and vote on the match. On Friday, I'll not only post the results of the poll, but I'll also make an elaborate post saying who I think wins and why. And yes, I'll aim to be as thorough as my previous editions of 'DBAW.' And, if I'm fortunate enough, it'll also include thoughts from other individuals in the industry.

Staff
#46 Posted by AlKusanagi (605 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I hate Cyclops, he easily takes this. Remove visor. Blast everything in field of vision. Game over.

#47 Posted by k4tzm4n (44255 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I hate Cyclops, he easily takes this. Remove visor. Blast everything in field of vision. Game over.

Call me crazy, but that doesn't seem like the logical course of action at all in this scenario...

Staff
#48 Edited by God_Spawn (37901 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Cyclops uses his optic blasts 98% of the time...that's his power and having a choice between them or h2h is usually the former.

@mediator said:

I think people forget that Cyclops is one of the best H2H fighters in the X-Men...Possibly the best. :l

Which isn't saying much, tbh. 95% of the X-Men are medicore h2h fighters. They just have basic h2h feats or training. Wolverine, Psylocke, Storm, and maybe even Kitty, are better than Cykes. The first two listed are vastly better than he is.

As for this battle, I still think it falls under like Batman vs Wolverine, this is just a bad fight for Batman. I'd be generous giving Bruce even 3 wins here. I'll get a case up later when I have the time for something extensive.

#49 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3480 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier:

I agree with 99% of your post except for one crucial detail: Cyclops' Optic Blast has been shown for decades as being able to be deflected off of polished surfaces like a laser beam. Batman very well could know this if prep is involved. Even if it's not, he's been shot at by laser-like blasts before and either dodged or deflected them back at the shooter or above the shooters head, sending debris showering down on them from above. He could do so again here. After all, if what @leokearon says is true and Storm (without her powers) did beat Cyclops in a h2h confrontation, I don't see why Batman couldn't do the same even faster than she did.

#50 Posted by Owie (3742 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh no you di-in't! Well this will be exciting.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.