Batman: Arkham Origins - Initiation Challenge Map Add-On Trailer

#1 Posted by Falconer (152 posts) - - Show Bio

That's kinda cool/different. But it's still just challenge maps, which I'm done with when it comes to these Batman games. I'll wait for story DLC.

#2 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3738 posts) - - Show Bio

This will be epic...maybe

#4 Edited by War Killer (20105 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks pretty awesome, I'm curious on how this will play out. I also know that it's a challenge map, but I do find it a bit funny to see a ninja walking around with a random shotgun. lol

Also, on a side note, if that is Shiva in the trailer I'm curious as to how that will tie into the game's continuity as, at least from what it appeared, Bruce didn't appear as if he had met Shiva prior to their encounter in the game.

#5 Edited by GodOfMischief (641 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: I was thinking the same thing about Shiva. Also, wasn't she working for Ras Al Ghul in the game? But it is strange that he would encounter her here and then not recognise her later on...

#6 Edited by MaximumGeyser5 (580 posts) - - Show Bio

HA NICE WE SEASON PASS OWNERS GET THIS ISH FOR FREE :)

#7 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

when they first announced this portion of DLC, i hoped it would have been released earlier, and interwoven into the story. Sort of like Catwoman's bits in City. I hoped it would be training, with the conclusion of Bruce leaving that training being a cool point in the story, or an after game treat.

i imagine this will be slightly more immerse than a challenge map, but it could have been much more.

#8 Edited by PunyParker (9414 posts) - - Show Bio

Pay to get challenge maps with Bruce and a bunch o' ninjas?.....hell,no.

They got me one time with Nightwing....not this time.

@war_killerAlso, on a side note, if that is Shiva in the trailer I'm curious as to how that will tie into the game's continuity as, at least from what it appeared, Bruce didn't appear as if he had met Shiva prior to their encounter in the game.

They already have shown that they lack with the aspect of continuity.......youtube walkthroughs, it is,for me at least....

#9 Posted by TheDarkPlague (73 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like concept of training to become bats, but it'll probs just be the same as the others

#10 Posted by Trevel8182 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

So the first 45 minutes of Batman Begins. Love It!

#12 Edited by patrat18 (9446 posts) - - Show Bio

Got my season pass.

#13 Edited by slade_wilson (447 posts) - - Show Bio

More Shiva! YES!

#14 Posted by War Killer (20105 posts) - - Show Bio

They already have shown that they lack with the aspect of continuity.......youtube walkthroughs, it is,for me at least....

What makes you say that?

#15 Posted by War Killer (20105 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: I was thinking the same thing about Shiva. Also, wasn't she working for Ras Al Ghul in the game? But it is strange that he would encounter her here and then not recognise her later on...

Well, she never did mention who she was actually working for, if I'm not mistaken, simply referring to him as her "Master." But everything pointed to her master being Ra's, so this still does come off as strange. As for Bruce not recognizing her, near the beginning of the game Bruce appeared to know of her, as he did with all of the assassins in some form or another, but never was it implied that he had actually met her before.

It is also possible that because he had encountered her in the game as Batman, rather than Bruce Wayne, he simply acted as if this were his first encounter with Shiva as a way to protect his identity. But that's really a long shot.

#16 Posted by PunyParker (9414 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker said:

What makes you say that?

If you remember Arkham Asylum in any detail you’ll know Bane was transformed from a relatively normal sized man into a hulking monster by the Joker, who seriously overdosed him with venom in order to cause him to be infuriated and attack Batman.

In Arkham Origins, set many years before Asylum,Bane transforms himself into the said monstrosity after losing a fight with Batman and injecting himself with a concentrated dose of venom, a change confirmed to be permanent at the end when we see him still huge despite the venom having worn off. This makes absolutely no sense and shows the writers didn’t even have a basic knowledge of Bane’s continuity in the Arkham universe, presumptuously only having seen a picture of what Bane looked like in the earlier games and thinking, ‘Oh that is cool, we should explain how he got like that,’ failing to understand the explanation had already been done.

Another major issue comes from a tape featuring Quincy Sharp. He was manipulated/hypnotised by Hugo Strange into running for Mayor, yet apparently the writers weren’t aware of this, as they suggest he was recruited by Shiva of the League of Shadows, despite the fact Quincy clearly has no knowledge of the League in the other games. This sort of mistake would be irritating even in a fan produced product, so being present in a game such as this is absolutely dumb.

Also small stuff like WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH would he lose the glue granade,the electric gloves and the remote claw in the next games?.....WHY?.....WHY?!!

The thing is that they didnt put much effort in the continuity writing....and i dont trust em.

#17 Edited by War Killer (20105 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker said:

@war_killer said:

@punyparker said:

What makes you say that?

If you remember Arkham Asylum in any detail you’ll know Bane was transformed from a relatively normal sized man into a hulking monster by the Joker, who seriously overdosed him with venom in order to cause him to be infuriated and attack Batman.

In Arkham Origins, set many years before Asylum,Bane transforms himself into the said monstrosity after losing a fight with Batman and injecting himself with a concentrated dose of venom, a change confirmed to be permanent at the end when we see him still huge despite the venom having worn off. This makes absolutely no sense and shows the writers didn’t even have a basic knowledge of Bane’s continuity in the Arkham universe, presumptuously only having seen a picture of what Bane looked like in the earlier games and thinking, ‘Oh that is cool, we should explain how he got like that,’ failing to understand the explanation had already been done.

Another major issue comes from a tape featuring Quincy Sharp. He was manipulated/hypnotised by Hugo Strange into running for Mayor, yet apparently the writers weren’t aware of this, as they suggest he was recruited by Shiva of the League of Shadows, despite the fact Quincy clearly has no knowledge of the League in the other games. This sort of mistake would be irritating even in a fan produced product, so being present in a game such as this is absolutely dumb.

Also small stuff like WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH would he lose the glue granade,the electric gloves and the remote clawin the next games?.....WHY?.....WHY?!!

The thing is that they didnt put much effort in the continuity writing....and i dont trust em.

Actually, in Arkham Asylum, the reason Bane was all skinny was because Dr. Young (the chick working for the Joker) had drained him of all the Venom that was in his body so she could make Titan. When Bane was injected with the overdose of Venom it simply returned him to his large hulking form again. It was never explained in Asylum why Bane was so huge, it was just assumed that it was due to his use of Venom.

What they did in Origins was explain how Bane become the hulking beast we find him as in Asylum and City, showing that it was due to him injecting a new, more powerful version of Venom into his system. Nothing about the continuity was changed or altered, but simply showed how Bane came to be the hulk-like version we see in the previous games.

You do realize that both Hugo Strange and Shiva were working for Ra's al Ghul, right? All Shiva did was manipulate Sharp into becoming the Warden of Arkham Asylum. It was Hugo Strange who manipulated Sharp into becoming Mayor following the events in Asylum and ultimately what happened in Arkham City. If you actually put all of the pieces together you can see how long Ra's al Ghul had been planning the events we see in Arkham City. All Shiva did was get the ball rolling for what was to come.

So again, all the writers for Origins did was simply add to the overall story. Everything that happened in Asylum and City still stands, nothing has been altered or changed nor was anything retconned.

As for why Batman didn't have those gadgets...I would like to mention that in Asylum Batman was simply dropping Joker off at Arkham, he didn't know he was going to get locked in with his worse villains. Same goes for City, as Bruce ended up getting arrested and thrown into Arkham City, having to get Alfred to airdrop a Bat-Suit in on the fly. It's very well possible that he had those gadgets we saw in Origins, but just didn't have them on hand at the time of the two previous games.

Continuity wise, that's how I would explain it. But the honest truth is the reason why Batman didn't have those gadgets in Asylum and City is because, from the writers point-of-view, they hadn't been created yet. It may seem like a lazy answer, but it's truth.

Honestly I feel you're just being nit-picky on a lot of these issues, many of which can be easily explained away. You're bashing the writers, claiming they didn't care about the previous installments, when in reality you can see that they did the best they could with the resources they had, trying to give us a prequel showcasing how these characters all came to be. Personally I feel they did a great job at this, and feel that a lot of fans are being too hard on the game simply because it didn't live up to THEIR expectations. Which really is unfair to the guys who worked on Origins.

#18 Posted by PunyParker (9414 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I feel you're just being nit-picky on a lot of these issues, many of which can be easily explained away. You're bashing the writers, claiming they didn't care about the previous installments, when in reality you can see that they did the best they could with the resources they had, trying to give us a prequel showcasing how these characters all came to be. Personally I feel they did a great job at this, and feel that a lot of fans are being too hard on the game simply because it didn't live up to THEIR expectations. Which really is unfair to the guys who worked on Origins.

Thing is that Origins is awesome....and i liked it very very much.Still playing it....
But it's a prequel,and as you adressed,the issues are solvable,but still they wouldnt have to creat new gadgets like the Remote Claw and just assume Bruce dropped it through the time tio Asylum.....and the El.Gloves which would have knocked out a lot of people a lot sooner...

You can find explanations if you want,but still......i thikn,for example,these gadgets wont be used in the City sequel next year....you know what i mean?

#19 Posted by LordoftheNorth (1356 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: Actually if you do the Lady Shiva side mission they talk a while about there master its not very long but it is their this DLC is the back story to that

#20 Posted by War Killer (20105 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer said:

Thing is that Origins is awesome....and i liked it very very much.Still playing it....

But it's a prequel,and as you adressed,the issues are solvable,but still they wouldnt have to creat new gadgets like the Remote Claw and just assume Bruce dropped it through the time tio Asylum.....and the El.Gloves which would have knocked out a lot of people a lot sooner...

You can find explanations if you want,but still......i thikn,for example,these gadgets wont be used in the City sequel next year....you know what i mean?

Well you actually don't know that they won't use those gadgets. We very well could see a some of them return, such as the remote-bat claw which was personally one of my favorite new gadgets.

But I really don't get why you're so annoyed about the whole gadget thing. I mean what would you want the writers to do, limit Batman to just having Batarangs? That's one of the difficulties when making a prequel, as you have to make it appear as if this is a younger Batman while still trying to live up to its predecessor.

I just feel that complaining about "Why didn't Batman have the Electric Gloves in Arkham City?" Just seems really nit-picky and steals from the enjoyment of the game. Because you know why he doesn't have them and I can give you a dozen of reason as to why he possibly didn't have some of those gadgets. But ultimately it's just one of those things you just have to roll with and enjoy the game for what it is.

#21 Edited by War Killer (20105 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: Actually if you do the Lady Shiva side mission they talk a while about there master its not very long but it is their this DLC is the back story to that

I don't know if it is, actually. We'll ultimately have to wait for the DLC to find out, but we already know that Shiva's master was/is Ra' al Ghul.

This is one of the issues that could arise if the woman in the DLC is actually Shiva, as the man Bruce is training under is Kirigi, not Ra's. In Origins it appeared that Bruce had never encountered Shiva before, so if it is Shiva in the DLC, fighting Bruce before he becomes Batman, that causes some continuity issues.

#22 Posted by xxSadisticSmilexx (61 posts) - - Show Bio

It's too little too late for me. Sad thing is, I even own the season pass. I love this franchise, but the bugs WB Montreal delivered killed this game for me. First a glitch causes me to never even come across Deadshot during the s.o.s. So I get excited about meeting him in day plus mode. Get there, fight him and the game glitched. Now it's saved with an empty bank with dramatic music, 0% complete, and an icon to just remind me to be royally pissed off. Realllllly let me down guys.

#23 Posted by AmazingWebHead (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

For once, I'm not sick of seeing Batman's origins being told again.

#24 Posted by PunyParker (9414 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker said:

@war_killer said:

Well you actually don't know that they won't use those gadgets. We very well could see a some of them return, such as the remote-bat claw which was personally one of my favorite new gadgets.

But I really don't get why you're so annoyed about the whole gadget thing. I mean what would you want the writers to do, limit Batman to just having Batarangs? That's one of the difficulties when making a prequel, as you have to make it appear as if this is a younger Batman while still trying to live up to its predecessor.

I just feel that complaining about "Why didn't Batman have the Electric Gloves in Arkham City?" Just seems really nit-picky and steals from the enjoyment of the game. Because you know why he doesn't have them and I can give you a dozen of reason as to why he possibly didn't have some of those gadgets. But ultimately it's just one of those things you just have to roll with and enjoy the game for what it is.

See it this way.I nit pick because the game doesnt have big flaws.....and that's wonderfull.
Still,im eagerly waiting for Arkham 3.

And dude,yeah!!
The remoteclaw was a brilliand gadget!....hanging enemies from gargoils from a distance was SO satisfying!....i played the other games after Origins,and i missed it like home!

#25 Posted by Nerd Of A Hero (862 posts) - - Show Bio

Now this is going to be awesome. Can't wait for tomorrow.

#26 Posted by ravisher (683 posts) - - Show Bio

cant wait for the special edition that will add all the dlc to the game

#27 Posted by Crazy_Llama (36 posts) - - Show Bio

This is exciting, but I'm far more excited for the story DLC later on. I kind of wish they hadn't announced it would be comparable in length Harley Quinn's Revenge, I felt it was way too short, hopefully it will be better time spent.

#30 Posted by Grubich (368 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone help pleases!? I can't find this ad on in the in game store! Anyone else having this problem!?

#31 Posted by War Killer (20105 posts) - - Show Bio

Having played it, I'd say it was alright. Nothing amazing but it was enjoyable. I liked the whole story being intertwined within each challenge, but overall felt that that ending was a but...abrupt and kinda anti-climatic. But then again, you have to keep in mind that this is still just a challenge map.

Also on a side-note, storywise I still don't know how they can explain Shiva being in the challenge, I feel like she was just thrown in there because they didn't want to create a completely new character, which personally I feel was just lazy.

Overall, for a special challenge map, I found this enjoyable for what it was. Being able to play as a pre-Dark Knight Bruce Wayne was interesting and having his own set of gadgets made the new maps more of a challenge.

#32 Edited by Back_stabbath95 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: Is it just that challenge Map with those five or so challenges? No walking around? Bamboo forests I heard of? I don't remember seeing that, I just remember fighting nijas in combat and predator mode. I hope there is mre I'm not seeing

#33 Posted by War Killer (20105 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: Is it just that challenge Map with those five or so challenges? No walking around? Bamboo forests I heard of? I don't remember seeing that, I just remember fighting nijas in combat and predator mode. I hope there is mre I'm not seeing

I believe that is it. It's just a series of challenge maps that has a story woven in between each one. No free roaming or anything like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.