Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman: Arkham City Sells 4.6 Million Units Worldwide in One Week

• 71 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Everyone's talking about Batman: Arkham City. It's hard to believe it's only been out for one week. I've even had dreams of walking through the streets of Arkham City. Pretty much all I've heard from those that have played it is they love the game. Here is something that shouldn't be a surprise, the game has shipped more than 4.6 million units worldwide in that one week. This one week sales figure is more than double the units sold of Batman: Arkham Asylum in it's first week. Is there any doubt whether it will be one of the top-selling games of 2011?

No Caption Provided

The game is simply so much bigger than the first. You have more to do, a bigger environment and plenty of villains from Batman's rogues gallery to deal with. Sefton Hill, the game director at Rocksteady, mentioned the team at Rocksteady put "every ounce of effort into making the best Batman experience" they possibly could and it does show. I can't remember the last time I wished several times throughout the day I could be at home playing.

The game is rated "T" for teens, it's available for PS3 and Xbox 360 and is available for PC players on November 15. Is it too early to start thinking about the next Arkham game?

Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fhiz

I believe they  actually 2 million out of the 4.6 shipped. Nevertheless, really great sales for a single week.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By azza04

It's a awesome game. Playing as Catwoman is a treat.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ReVamp
    @azza04 said:

Haven't gotten around to that yet :(
    But yeah, its amazing.
    mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By mk111

Wow. I never got the game, but I'm happy for it. It sounds really good.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By azza04

@ReVamp said:

@azza04 said:

Haven't gotten around to that yet :( But yeah, its amazing.

It's worth it honestly. She's far more agile than Batman and has lots to do around Arkham City.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ReVamp
    @azza04 said:

@ReVamp said:

@azza04 said:

It's worth it honestly. She's far more agile than Batman and has lots to do around Arkham City.

I'm buying every DLC for the game regardless of the fact if its worth it or not. Finishing the game first though :P
    azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By azza04

@ReVamp: Same here :)

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

...Yeah, they're making another one. I mean they HAVE to now, right?

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

#9  Edited By Silkcuts
    @ReVamp said:
    @azza04 said:

@ReVamp said:

@azza04 said:

I'm buying every DLC for the game regardless of the fact if its worth it or not. Finishing the game first though :P
    The Catwoman bundle should of been in your game.  The game started off for me with her first side mission.  I hate her Thief Vision it makes me dizzy. 

The challenges are Badass as Red Robin btw.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Bestostero

No surprise here :)

Definitely looking forward to the next one.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ReVamp
    @Silkcuts said:
    @ReVamp said:
    @azza04 said:

@ReVamp said:

@azza04 said:

The Catwoman bundle should of been in your game.  The game started off for me with her first side mission.  I hate her Thief Vision it makes me dizzy.   The challenges are Badass as Red Robin btw.
    Isn't it only in the collector's edition? Though it might have to do with region?
    azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By azza04

@Silkcuts said:

@ReVamp said:
    @azza04 said:

@ReVamp said:

@azza04 said:

The Catwoman bundle should of been in your game. The game started off for me with her first side mission. I hate her Thief Vision it makes me dizzy. The challenges are Badass as Red Robin btw.

Yeah I pre-order mine and got the Catwoman code with it, it was behind the instruction manual.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Silkcuts
    @azza04: Yup same place as mine. 
    ^_^
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ReVamp
    @azza04: @Silkcuts: Whooops, Just checked and it is there.
    azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By azza04

@ReVamp: LMAO, I almost missed it because i was so eager to play it.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Silkcuts
    @ReVamp said:
    ^_^
    Didn't even read the package did you?
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Deranged Midget

The game is mindblowing.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ReVamp
    @azza04
    @Silkcuts said:
    @ReVamp said:
    ^_^ Didn't even read the package did you?

Nope. Dude, I didn't care about Catwoman tbh, I just went out to play and because I didn't look for it, I simply assumed it wasn't there. :P
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Silkcuts
    @ReVamp: no worries.  I only noticed it since i got the bestbuy version with Tim Drake, so I downloaded both bundles.  I can't wait till Grayson is released. 
    Did you see Azrael?
    Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Or35ti

Nice! Has anyone noticed how comics are rising in nearly every form of media? Seriously, the Avengers and the Dark Knight Rises are probably the two most hyped films of 2012, the Walking Dead just broke a record in viewership last week and now Batman: Arkham City is selling like crazy! Now if only more people would buy actual comics, tho I really can't understand how comics aren't striving with all of this amazing exposure. It's not as if these games/movies/tv series are disliked, they're acclaimed by fans and critics! Maybe it's the limited accessibility. Comics should definitely work towards becoming more accessible everywhere around the world.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NightFang3

@Gambit1024 said:

...Yeah, they're making another one. I mean they HAVE to now, right?

Yeah, they said as long as there's stories to tell they'll keep making Batman games. I bet you the sequel will be called Arkham Island or something like that.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ReVamp
    @Silkcuts said:
    @ReVamp: no worries.  I only noticed it since i got the bestbuy version with Tim Drake, so I downloaded both bundles.  I can't wait till Grayson is released.  Did you see Azrael?
    Yeah, I have, once. I'm at the beginning though. As a matter of fact, I'm playing it right now :P
    LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LordRequiem

It's very good but I have a few problems with it. I really am not liking the grey costume and the fact that the costume doesn't change or you can't upgrade more stuff, I'd rather it be all black, the alternate ones look poor aside from Batman Beyond. Most of the gadgets are the same from the first game. Mr. Freeze was the best character design and he only features briefly. Many of the missions are very similar. The plot is identical to the first game near, as makes no difference. I completed it and all side missions but 2, within 3 days of having it. It is a great game but for me, pales in comparison to franchises like inFamous and Prototype.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By tensor

I CANNOT WAIT FOR IT

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
    deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still haven't finished the first game.  (Which was great when I played it shortly after the release date.)  I got most of the way through, but as often happens, I got busy with other things.  I still plan on getting this when they do a GOTY edition.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26  Edited By kennybaese

@Or35ti said:

Nice! Has anyone noticed how comics are rising in nearly every form of media? Seriously, the Avengers and the Dark Knight Rises are probably the two most hyped films of 2012, the Walking Dead just broke a record in viewership last week and now Batman: Arkham City is selling like crazy! Now if only more people would buy actual comics.

My thoughts exactly. People keep pointing at the movies stuff and saying that comics are doing better than ever but, with the exception of some of DC's relaunch stuff, that really isn't the case. Even with the relaunch, I really don't think it will be either. However, with publishers embracing digital distribution, that might change.

i guess me and Jeff at Giant Bomb are alone in thinking that the Catwoman stuff in Arkham City was a little less than great. She doesn't feel different enough to me except in the way you move through the city with her, which was more annoying than anything, I thought. I like her inclusion, but I wish she had felt less like a faster version of Batman and more like her own thing.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cattlebattle

Batman does everything big

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Billy Batson

Good.
    Still haven't played :/
    I should get this Arkham Asylum when I get a better computer.
    BB

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LoganRogue24

i think i like playing as catwoman more then batman shes sexy more agile quicker faster.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By VicRattlehead

you might want to fix your headline there Mr Gman, shipped doesn't equal sold... i believe the number is more like 2 million sold

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By entropy_aegis

Cool,now Batman has dominated the video game world in 2011,let's see if he can rock the movie world in 2012.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32  Edited By Pokeysteve

It was a pretty good game. It has the same problem as Call of Duty. A 2 hour story mode and then the rest is extras.

Sasuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sasuke

I love this game i only stop playing it too to play Gears 3 every once in a while.

Utandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Utandi

This game is a bat-gasm!

HunterGP02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HunterGP02

I really enjoyed the game, but they were misleading when they said it would take 30 hours to complete the main story. I completed the Full story and 50% of side missions/ riddler trophies in a little under 20 hours and I am by no means a speed player.

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Marshal Victory

Um how much of those are counted for pc sales? Its not out on pc for a few weeks.
    @walkingcarpet said:

@Or35ti said:

Nice! Has anyone noticed how comics are rising in nearly every form of media? Seriously, the Avengers and the Dark Knight Rises are probably the two most hyped films of 2012, the Walking Dead just broke a record in viewership last week and now Batman: Arkham City is selling like crazy! Now if only more people would buy actual comics.

My thoughts exactly. People keep pointing at the movies stuff and saying that comics are doing better than ever but, with the exception of some of DC's relaunch stuff, that really isn't the case. Even with the relaunch, I really don't think it will be either. However, with publishers embracing digital distribution, that might change.

i guess me and Jeff at Giant Bomb are alone in thinking that the Catwoman stuff in Arkham City was a little less than great. She doesn't feel different enough to me except in the way you move through the city with her, which was more annoying than anything, I thought. I like her inclusion, but I wish she had felt less like a faster version of Batman and more like her own thing.

Its a combination of things. Many still remember 1 buck comics.Not thinking what that was as a % of the average wage then.Plus 20 pages for 4 bucks turns off alot of people.Tho trades an hard bounds can be a much better value ,people just see it as a money sink. Not as a hobby.At least in north america. Comics in other areas are doing quit well.if you count world wide manga sales.
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

glad to hear that this game did very well in sales. Maybe this means we can get another sequel. That would be awesome. Maybe Batman Gotham City.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#38  Edited By SevanGrim

@Or35ti: the masses STILL dont want to be bothered with reading comics, as they still think they are nerdy. I am constantly surrounded by dozens of different types of people. Artsy types. Musicians. Actors. Teenagers. women. Jocks. Seniors. And the same thing always happens at least a couple times everywhere i go. People make some snide or condescending remark about how im reading comics... and then start asking me about the relationship between this character and this character, or how the plot elements of this movie fit into the comics lore.

Its very stupid. And Hollywood doesnt want to geek up their movies by pushing comic book at people. Even the Arkham city game didnt bother to include the digital comics into any of the editions of the game, probably assuming that since this was a high profile game, normal people would be turned off if there was a comic in it in any form. So while geek ideas are ruling the world, actual geek actions and hobbies are still like the plague.

xanthiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xanthiss

Batman Arkham City is a perfect game. It really gets the Batman Universe. You go from saving civilians, to fighting super powered bad guys, to using detective work to solve crimes, then there is the riddles. There are 440 riddles to solve and vary from getting trophies out of complex traps to getting civilians out of complex traps. The game keeps you hopping from one thing to another. Also the character designs are awesome. If you don't have it, get it!

yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By yo_yo_fun

@entropy_aegis said:

Cool,now Batman has dominated the video game world in 2011,let's see if he can rock the movie world in 2012.

Hells yeah! :)

bookerman20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bookerman20

This game exceeded expectations....

They are times I'm just gliding and dive bombing to check out the city. Then they're times I look for groups of 10 thugs I can just dive bomb down to and take them all on without any feeling I might lose. You couldn't write a better plot to a game. By the way, NIGHTWING will be coming!!!!!!

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Or35ti

@Marshal Victory: I understand that. Especially in this economy. Maybe the industry should work on reducing their prices are adding more pages so people feel like they are getting what their money's worth.

@Grim said:

@Or35ti: the masses STILL dont want to be bothered with reading comics, as they still think they are nerdy. I am constantly surrounded by dozens of different types of people. Artsy types. Musicians. Actors. Teenagers. women. Jocks. Seniors. And the same thing always happens at least a couple times everywhere i go. People make some snide or condescending remark about how im reading comics... and then start asking me about the relationship between this character and this character, or how the plot elements of this movie fit into the comics lore.

Its very stupid. And Hollywood doesnt want to geek up their movies by pushing comic book at people. Even the Arkham city game didnt bother to include the digital comics into any of the editions of the game, probably assuming that since this was a high profile game, normal people would be turned off if there was a comic in it in any form. So while geek ideas are ruling the world, actual geek actions and hobbies are still like the plague.

I just can't understand how hundreds of millions of people are immersing themselves to these same universes in other media and loving every f*cking minute of it, yet the actual source material itself is considered 'geeky'. What also makes me curious is how come people haven't at least wondered what comics are like after watching Cap or Thor kick ass on screen. I think marketing is a huge problem. I think that all comics should be advertised the same way The New 52 was. If the industry makes comics look popular then sooner or later people will be intrigued and they will become popular. I mean how the hell is it ok that X-Men used to sell 7 million copies and today it's considered stellar if a book sells over 100k. Something needs to be done and soon before the industry dies :'(

Also the industry needs to market their material more internationally. These things could be incredibly popular in Europe let's say and you'd be surprised how many people can actually read and understand English perfectly, even if they don't speak it well. The problem is is that no one knows where the hell they can find a comics store in Europe because the truth is there aren't many.

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GrimoireMyst

Absolutely loved the game thoroughly as the story kept me coming back hour after hour. Ended with 72% in my first playthrough. lol Still have a few combat riddler trophies to get and Catwoman was indeed very cool to play as.

One thing I really liked about it is the ending which breaks a few of the rules that govern comics. lol

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#44  Edited By SevanGrim

@Or35ti: people dont read. They dont even read magazines for the articles.

The industry will always be an under dog. As i always said, the best way to get new readers would be to make the films as close to the comics as possible instead of letting hollywood take their liberties. If Thor was exactly like the comics, they could market a "find out what happens next by picking up this TPB" and some people would. And i swear, they need to try to sell comics AT the theaters on box office weekends. There are gonna be lines of people just waiting for hours to see iron man 3. If someone was selling Ironman and Avengers comics outside, people would buy just to pass the time.

But nooooo. The industry doesnt realize that the product is fine and they just need to make it more available, they think they have to get edgier. They think Spiderman should be single, and batman needs to be younger (even though Dark Knight Returns and Batman beyond thrive on the idea of an older cranky bruce). theyre never gonna learn...

sueesidale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sueesidale

amazing game

Gordo789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46  Edited By Gordo789

@Or35ti said:

Nice! Has anyone noticed how comics are rising in nearly every form of media? Seriously, the Avengers and the Dark Knight Rises are probably the two most hyped films of 2012, the Walking Dead just broke a record in viewership last week and now Batman: Arkham City is selling like crazy! Now if only more people would buy actual comics, tho I really can't understand how comics aren't striving with all of this amazing exposure. It's not as if these games/movies/tv series are disliked, they're acclaimed by fans and critics! Maybe it's the limited accessibility. Comics should definitely work towards becoming more accessible everywhere around the world.

This is a very astute observation. It might boil down to simple economics. Comics are hellishly expensive compared to other forms of media. $3 or $4 a pop is just too much to ask I think, compared to the value you get from something like a television show or a movie or a video game. It might just be too much to ask for the non-enthusiast. I agree 100% though, people should read more comics. Maybe if these other forms of media more clearly/obviously promoted the books during the credits or before the start or something, i don't know.

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By katanalauncher

Just rented the 360 version and waiting to buy the PC version.

Whiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Whiskeyjack

That's a whole lot of Riddler trophies.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#49  Edited By The Impersonator

Is it too early to start thinking about the next Arkham game?

Well...to say the least. There might be Arkham Planet. If Rocksteady Games are going to name it. :P

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SpidermanWins

Wow Impressive. I need to get my 360 pronto so I can get it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.