Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23621 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman and normal crime

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CuddleBear

Who handles the everyday crime in Gotham? you know, the kind of crime that made Batman. All I ever see is Batman fighting super-villains. If they are taking up all of his time I think Batman needs to create a "normal crime" task force. Please, coach me up on this area of Batman and Gotham.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Batman fights normal crime all the time.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
    Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The "normal crime" task force are called the police. Batman does fight normal crime though.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Same as Superman, he fights "normal" crime, but its to easy and wouldn't make for a good comic.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

All time the

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

@dctv3363 said:

The "normal crime" task force are called the police. Batman does fight normal crime though.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@dctv3363 said:

Not true, I would totally read a book about Batman trying to take down crime syndicates and stuff

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmannflash said:

@dctv3363 said:

Not true, I would totally read a book about Batman trying to take down crime syndicates and stuff

Huh?

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GCPD

No Caption Provided

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Batman fights A LOT of normal crime.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CuddleBear

@dctv3363 said:

@batmannflashI thought, besides gordon, the cops were corrupt or ineffective.

@innervenom123@peppeyhare crime that would resemble modern crime today? or just henchmen and throwaway loners. does he ever go after drug dealers or human traffickers?

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363 said:

There are others who are not. In Gotham Central there's at least an entire squad of them.

@innervenom123@peppeyhare crime that would resemble modern crime today? or just henchmen and throwaway loners. does he ever go after drug dealers or human traffickers?

Yes

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363 said:

@cuddlebear said:

@dctv3363 said:

There are others who are not. In Gotham Central there's at least an entire squad of them.

Yes

yeah gotham central sounds cool i really want to read it, but i think the bad or corrupt cops are the overwhelming majority in Gotham right? and if everyone is so busy with their rogue's gallery don't you think Batman should recruit some people to handle the more run-of-the-mill crime, like batman incorporated but just for Gotham. and please give me some hints of where these comics are of batman fighting "normal crime"

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Marionettegeist

@cuddlebear said:

@dctv3363 said:

@cuddlebear said:

@dctv3363 said:

Yes

yeah gotham central sounds cool i really want to read it, but i think the bad or corrupt cops are the overwhelming majority in Gotham right?

There are a lot yeah. Oh and Gotham Central is great.

and if everyone is so busy with their rogue's gallery don't you think Batman should recruit some people to handle the more run-of-the-mill crime, like batman incorporated but just for Gotham.

There are actually a lot of crimefighters in Gotham. They just kind of come and go every now and then, Batman's not gonna force anyone to stay there. Like all of the Robins and Nightwing for instance.

and please give me some hints of where these comics are of batman fighting "normal crime"

Year One. A lot of the times it'll just be in random issues. Not really the focus of the issue but you'll see him beating up random drug dealers, and thiefs.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CuddleBear

@dctv3363 said:

Year One. A lot of the times it'll just be in random issues. Not really the focus of the issue but you'll see him beating up random drug dealers, and thiefs.

well yeah i love year one. consider it more of a great gordon story than a batman one though. just can't believe people have not thought of bringing batman into more modern times fighting cartels instead of the mob. the mob is kind of dated at this point.

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363 said:

well yeah i love year one. consider it more of a great gordon story than a batman one though. just can't believe people have not thought of bringing batman into more modern times fighting cartels instead of the mob. the mob is kind of dated at this point.

Maybe but I honestly prefer the mob. I'd read a Batman story about the drug cartels though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363 said:

@cuddlebear said:

@dctv3363 said:

Maybe but I honestly prefer the mob. I'd read a Batman story about the drug cartels though.

yeah i like the five families of gotham too, just evolve them maybe.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who handles the everyday crime in Gotham? you know, the kind of crime that made Batman. All I ever see is Batman fighting super-villains. If they are taking up all of his time I think Batman needs to create a "normal crime" task force. Please, coach me up on this area of Batman and Gotham.

There was an entire comic built around this, police officers handling the everyday, lower level work.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear said:

There was an entire comic built around this, police officers handling the everyday, lower level work.

@bogey@squares

people keep telling me about gotham central. but that is missing the point. how does batman handle this stuff considering its the lowest level of crime(joe chill killing his parents) that made him. like i said if he is too busy with all his colorful villians then i suggest a bat-task force (<-----TM)

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher said:

@cuddlebear said:

@bogey@squares

people keep telling me about gotham central. but that is missing the point. how does batman handle this stuff considering its the lowest level of crime(joe chill killing his parents) that made him. like i said if he is too busy with all his colorful villians then i suggest a bat-task force (<-----TM)

Not sure what you're talking about. He and the police handle it together. Does he stop every crime? No that's impossible. But he does handle regular crimes when he comes across them, and this is seen in a variety of comics, just never as the center of major story arcs, because that would be fairly boring.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Robins and Nightwing at times.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CuddleBear

@cuddlebear said:

@cuddlebear said:

@bogey@squares

Not sure what you're talking about. He and the police handle it together. Does he stop every crime? No that's impossible. But he does handle regular crimes when he comes across them, and this is seen in a variety of comics, just never as the center of major story arcs, because that would be fairly boring.

i don't see why people think that, i mean there are 100 different shows on TV about this. i don't want batman to stop every crime... i want him to try to though.

@kgb725 see this is what i am getting at. make a task-force of nightwings if everyone is going to be so busy with the joker or clayface or owl people.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear said:

@cuddlebear said:

@bogey@squares

i don't see why people think that, i mean there are 100 different shows on TV about this. i don't want batman to stop every crime... i want him to try to though.

@kgb725 see this is what i am getting at. make a task-force of nightwings if everyone is going to be so busy with the joker or clayface or owl people.

And I doubt any of those shows are as lasting as Batman. Also, those shows existing negates the need for people to see the same things happening in comics.

And he does try. Once again, i'm not seeing what the issue is here.

chrisj_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By chrisj_1

@dctv3363 said:

Yes the cops are ineffective but dude there is no "normal crime" task force because that is literally what Police officers are.

And Batman fighting normal crime that's basically what Year One was about I'm sure there are other examples just can't name them right now.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RustyRoy

@cuddlebear: Batman does fight normal crime but its not usually shown on panel but sometimes referenced, there are few stories that show him fighting normal crimes like Legends of The Dark Knight series, Year One etc.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear: Oh and he has had many task forces throughout the years like Batman Inc., Batfamily, GCPD, Outsiders etc.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@cuddlebear: Oh and he has had many task forces throughout the years like Batman Inc., Batfamily, GCPD, Outsiders etc.

yeah i remember he tried to create one in the mr. freeze story Snow which i thought was cool

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrisj_1 said:

@cuddlebear said:

@dctv3363 said:

Yes the cops are ineffective but dude there is no "normal crime" task force because that is literally what Police officers are.

And Batman fighting normal crime that's basically what Year One was about I'm sure there are other examples just can't name them right now.

i disagree that that is what the police officers are. they were not that the night bruce waynes parents were killed. year one is probably my favorite comic, i call it a great jim gordon comic. fighting the mob is fine but i wish there was more focus, at least at some point, on the night in night out patroling and fighting of crime its just something you know that happens in passing.

@cuddlebear said:

@cuddlebear said:

@cuddlebear said:

@bogey@squares

And I doubt any of those shows are as lasting as Batman. Also, those shows existing negates the need for people to see the same things happening in comics.

listen i personally hate all those csi or svu type shows but i just use it as an example because people think they can just write it off as boring. i guess visually speaking in a comic joker or riddler is more interesting, i dont care much for visuals in a comic, but story-wise more down to earth crime could be very compelling maybe even more compelling. if batman does try its only mentioned in passing i want someone to focus on it. with batman, detective comics, batman and robin and batman: the dark knight coming out every month i am sure there is somewhere to focus on some more down to earth crime. at least for a 3 issue arc. also all those shows don't negate people seeing that in comics... cause all those shows don't have the batman.

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrisj_1 said:

@cuddlebear said:

@dctv3363 said:

i disagree that that is what the police officers are. they were not that the night bruce waynes parents were killed. year one is probably my favorite comic, i call it a great jim gordon comic. fighting the mob is fine but i wish there was more focus, at least at some point, on the night in night out patroling and fighting of crime its just something you know that happens in passing.

@cuddlebear said:

@cuddlebear said:

@cuddlebear said:

@bogey@squares

listen i personally hate all those csi or svu type shows but i just use it as an example because people think they can just write it off as boring. i guess visually speaking in a comic joker or riddler is more interesting, i dont care much for visuals in a comic, but story-wise more down to earth crime could be very compelling maybe even more compelling. if batman does try its only mentioned in passing i want someone to focus on it. with batman, detective comics, batman and robin and batman: the dark knight coming out every month i am sure there is somewhere to focus on some more down to earth crime. at least for a 3 issue arc. also all those shows don't negate people seeing that in comics... cause all those shows don't have the batman.

Actually yeah, I would love to see Batman take on more regular cases in-story. Just every now and then, in place of a supervillain arc.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363 said:

@cuddlebear said:

@chrisj_1 said:

@cuddlebear said:

@dctv3363 said:

@cuddlebear said:

@cuddlebear said:

@cuddlebear said:

@bogey@squares

Actually yeah, I would love to see Batman take on more regular cases in-story. Just every now and then, in place of a supervillain arc.

good to see i am not totally crazy here lol. i could understand the need for super villians when the comic is superman or the hulk or something but batman is ultimatley a regular guy with a regular job fighting regular problems.

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363 said:

@cuddlebear said:

@chrisj_1 said:

@cuddlebear said:

@dctv3363 said:

@cuddlebear said:

@cuddlebear said:

@cuddlebear said:

@bogey@squares

good to see i am not totally crazy here lol. i could understand the need for super villians when the comic is superman or the hulk or something but batman is ultimatley a regular guy with a regular job fighting regular problems.

It would be pretty cool if written well.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrisj_1 said:

@cuddlebear said:

@dctv3363 said:

@cuddlebear said:

@cuddlebear said:

@cuddlebear said:

@bogey@squares

Visuals are an important part of comics for me, being that you're looking at pictures. Otherwise i'd read an actual novel.

My point being that if people wanted to see those, they'd go watch the shows instead of Batman, which i'd say people primarily read for story's about him fighting the Joker and other costumed villains, etc.

I agree writers could stand to show him tackling more normal cases here and there, but never in major story's.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.