Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman and His Knockoffs

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEGRAAF

This is not a thread about how stupid knockoff characters might be. Instead i am more curious about whether anyone would read a team base comic book that consisted of Batman, Midnighter, Owlman, and Nite Owl (im not sure if he is a knock off or not but he seems close enough)?

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By r3d_rob1n

Probably wouldn't read that, but I would read a team revolving around Batman and his Robins, or Nightwing and the Robins

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DEGRAAF

@r3d_rob1n: Aren't they making one? I believe it is called " the Robins" or just "Robins"

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Twentyfive

@DEGRAAF: You can not be serious. A Robins book? DC is starting to annoy me. The whole point of the relaunch, besides to get more attention, and thus money, is to tell new stories, with characters that don't get as much shine as they should, and now you are telling me that all of the Robin characters are going to be in a book? This is just asinine. I would only be happy with a stupid Idea such as this if they replace Batman and Robin with that book, and not chop away a book like Blue Beetle. DC is running out of ideas, and I am running out of patience with DC. They brought me back into comics, and they're about to ruin it for me again.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By batshrine

@DEGRAAF: Idk might be an interesting concept for an else-worlds tale, but I wouldn't recommend a comic, maybe a mini series or a one shot. But I don't even know what the premise would be, but only an amazing story would make this work. But it definitely would be interesting to see Batman team up with characters inspired by or parodying him.

Jawshco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jawshco

I would freaking love a "Robins" comic book! The best thing about Batman to me is the bat-family and how they've all grown and changed together. Dick grew to be better as Nightwing, Jason is far better as the amazing Red Hood, Tim was the first really cool Robin and the Red Robin series was fantastic (he's brutally underused right now), and Damian is a twisted little vegetarian bugger, but I love his dark sense of humor. Stephanie Brown was a bit of a misfire has Robin #4, but she was great in her stint as Batgirl and I do miss her as Spoiler and her relationship with Tim.

I would much rather have a "Robins" book than I would have the current Batman Inc. title (which I do like).

Jawshco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jawshco

@DEGRAAF said:

This is not a thread about how stupid knockoff characters might be. Instead i am more curious about whether anyone would read a team base comic book that consisted of Batman, Midnighter, Owlman, and Nite Owl (im not sure if he is a knock off or not but he seems close enough)?

That already sounds a lot like Batman Inc. It might be neat to see some of those characters pulled into that title. Get Moon Knight to cross over as well, ha!

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Twentyfive: Sounds like it will be a continuous series. I actually like this idea. I agree though. I think they should replace one of Batman's many books with this one if they really one to publish this.

@batshrine: It actually just reminds me of Battle for The Cowl to an extent. After Batman "died" all the books were about Nightwing working with the other Robins (and against Red hood 1/2 the time). Also i thought one of the major things they planned on doing was keeping Red Hood away from the rest of the Bat-family

@Jawshco: I would much much rather a Robins book then a Batman Inc book. I know im not going to pick up the Batman Inc. book but a Robins book i would follow very closely.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/24/robins-comic-from-jeff-lemire/

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=53395

This is all the info i could find about it.

merlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By merlot

It would be interesting in an elseworld tale. It could take place in Gotham. The Wayne's never existed or they died off years ago, and in Gotham there are all these vigilantes that begin popping up and all of them have a darker theme than most super heros. The story would be about all the knockoffs (Just to be clear, I'm using that term just to define them, not as a slight toward any of them) facing Batman's rogues gallery and it would basically be an entire comic book glorifying Batman, showing how many men it would take to defeat the Joker on their own, and how essential and crucial Batman is to the DCU. It would be a team up story, they're all very capable superheroes, but none of them are Batman.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@DEGRAAF said:

Nite Owl was actually based on Blue Beetle

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BatteredArmor

Nite Owl is a Blue Beetle tribute not a Batman knockoff

merlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By merlot

@Smart_Dork_Dude: true dat

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By batshrine

@BlackArmor: lol then they really sucked at that! (no offense to the tributer but I mean its pretty obvious Dr. Manhattan is based of Captain Atom, Rorschach is The Question, and the Silk Spectre was from Black Canary)

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DEGRAAF

@BlackArmor: How is that? Blue Beetle is an alien space suit type thing. Nite Owl has nothing in common with it so i dont see how it is a tribute

@batshrine: lol wow, i actually never put Silk Spectre and Black Canary together. I always thought she was loosely based off of the Wasp for Marvel. Now that you mention it though i do see the resemblance in characters

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BatteredArmor

@DEGRAAF: Ted Kord not the current Blue Beetle

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DEGRAAF

@BlackArmor: wait so the scarab battle suit didnt exist till the 3rd Blue Beetle?

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BatteredArmor

@DEGRAAF: It existed it just wasn't used

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DEGRAAF

@BlackArmor: So it was known to be in existence during the original or second but neither of them used it... Is htere a reason why?

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#19  Edited By BatWatch

@DEGRAAF said:

@BlackArmor: So it was known to be in existence during the original or second but neither of them used it... Is htere a reason why?

This will answer some of your questions about Blue Beetle. These are my own personal notes compiled mostly from comicvine. Its basically a condensed version of their comicvine page.

Blue Beetle – When Ted Kord was but a humble college student, he discovered that his Uncle Jarvis was planning to build an army of super-androids. Ted took this information to his trusted college professor, Dan Garret, who agreed to go with Ted to the island on which Jarvis was operating. In the ensuing conflict, Jarvis inadvertently caused an explosion with which he killed himself and mortally injured Dan. Before he died, Dan confessed that he was actually the super-hero Blue Beetle, and he was powered by an ancient alien amulet, and that Ted should carry on as the Blue Beetle in Dan’s memory. Ted agreed, but before he could take the Beetle shaped amulet, the cave started to collapse. Ted ran and managed to escape, but Dan and the amulet were buried. Without powers but still wanting to become a superhero, Ted trained his body intensely becoming an Olympic level acrobat and reaching a high degree of skill in the Karate and Aikido martial arts. Using his genius IQ of 192, Ted soon finished college and became a highly successful engineer, but he always reserved the best pieces of tech for himself and his crime fighting career. Ted designed a suit made of metal mesh circuitry which gives him light protection and serves to connect different keypad buttons in his glove with various functions in his cowl. In addition, his cowl locks so that it cannot be opened unless it is touched at a certain point with his gloved finger which transmits the release signal to his cowl. Ted also designed The Bug, a special aircraft with a great degree of flexible functions which can transport him safely in the air, water, or even space. Other than his hand to hand fighting skills, Ted’s primary weapon is his “BB gun” which doesn’t actually shoot BB’s. Instead, Ted’s BB gun shoots powerful blasts of compressed air which can knock down and stun opponents or it can fire bright bursts of light which blind enemies. Blue Beetle finally started his superhero career over a year ago on the mean streets of Chicago. Blue Beetle soon joined Justice League International where he met his good friend Mister Miracle with whom he frequently partnered. After a couple months on Justice League International, Blue Beetle transferred over to the Justice League of America, and he has been an integral member of the team ever since. With the Justice League, Blue Beetle met his best friend, Booster Gold, and the two of them frequently pulled pranks on fellow members of the Justice League during their more mundane shifts. Despite his frivolous antics, Ted is a valuable member of the team due to his intelligence and technical knowhow. Recently, Ted was in a coma after the Justice League of America’s fight with Doomsday, but he has now recovered. B-list hero

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BatteredArmor

@DEGRAAF: I'm not entirely sure but I think that originally the beetle was magical before being rewritten as Reach alien technology and that the first Blue Beetle used the magical version of the beetle later in his correr after working both powerlessly and with powers gained from experimental drugs. When BB1 died he was buried with the Beetle but BB2 still eventually got it but couldn't use it for unspecified reasons

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DEGRAAF

@PsychoKnights: thanks

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#22  Edited By BatWatch

@DEGRAAF: No problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.