Batman and Aging

#1 Posted by Seraphim84 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

So I know that Bruce has been de-aged a couple of times to keep him fresh and young, but how about his rogues?  Shouldn't Joker be showing a bit of age if Bruce is supposed to be a good 8 or whatever years older than he is right now?  I doubt that all of them have unaging rationalizations. 

I'd personally like to see what an older Penguin does with his business or how Catwoman would have to change her tactics after losing a bit of agility in her age.

#2 Posted by batman_is_god (1173 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how aliens invading earth and gods powering 10 year olds is acceptable, but youth is not. 

THEY ARE FICTIONAL CHARACTERS. Why must they age?
#3 Posted by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, i would like all humans to age in comics. I want to see time having its affects on heroes and villains alike.
#4 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2215 posts) - - Show Bio

Has Bruce really been deaged, or are you just commenting on the sliding timescale?

#5 Posted by Seraphim84 (58 posts) - - Show Bio
@ThanosIsMad:  
I'm pretty sure he deaged at least once while him and the boys went over to Nanda Parbat back during 52.  I don't mind them staying young, it's more so the consistency.  If Bruce is younger, that doesn't mean all his enemies are younger.  I mean look at Doc Ock in Spider-man.  Dude's all sortsa messed up cuz it's been so long for him. 

I'm fine with people comin back to life and staying young, but for the regular humans like a lot of Batman's bad guys, you should be seeing something age-wise.
#6 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio
@Seraphim84: Ock isn't messed up due to age, he's messed up due to one to many hits to the head.
#7 Posted by Abnormally Warm Guy (1297 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing that is SO difficult about aging characters is that we only see days (sometimes minutes) out of their whole month. So a month goes by for us but it has only bee a small fraction of time for them. Compound this over decades and you see us aging A LOT faster then them. 

Like look at Spider-man. Kraven died in the 80's during Kraven's last hunt. He has even decomposed yet and so could be revived. THAT is how little time has passed.

#8 Posted by batmanary (790 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it's a good concept that Generations pulled off pretty well, however in an ongoing... its too much.

#9 Edited by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio

yea but even writer dont handle time well. When a character is "dead" or fall through time  their time pases as quickly as our time does. Dick states that Batman had been gone for at least a year and they mention that Damien is a year older but they still act like its only been a month. While Superman (since Bruces death) has lived in Metropolis, dealt with Atlas, dealt with Brainiac, saved and resized Kandor, Lived on New Krypton for a year, fought in Blackest Night, fought the Battle of New Krypton, fought in the 100 Minute War, and has now WALKED half way across    merica.  

With all that said it seems like atleast 2 years or more have gone by. 

EDIT: also i think when Bruce got sent back from the future (when he was at the end of the universe or whatever) it was stated he was sent back to our time in the prime of his life (assuming that means younger, healthier, and stronger). at this point i would guess he is the same age as Dick. It might just have been because she thought he was dead but even Cat Woman mixed him up with Dick.
#10 Posted by entropy_aegis (15438 posts) - - Show Bio
@ThanosIsMad said:
"Has Bruce really been deaged, or are you just commenting on the sliding timescale? "
 he fell in to a lazrus pit back in birth of the demon,and also in a mystiical fountain which Ra's described as a prototype of the pits.
@DEGRAAF said:
".  EDIT: also i think when Bruce got sent back from the future (when he was at the end of the universe or whatever) it was stated he was sent back to our time in the prime of his life (assuming that means younger, healthier, and stronger). at this point i would guess he is the same age as Dick. It might just have been because she thought he was dead but even Cat Woman mixed him up with Dick. "

The bush robots healed him and called it lazarus transfusion or something like that,i think youre right.
#11 Posted by Sydpart2 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm...not a bad point but i think warm pretty much summed it all up...

#12 Posted by Benuben (225 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Bruce was deaged when he fell in lazarus pit. BTW, I believe that he is 40 years old now (so he is Batman for 14 years now.).    
#13 Posted by yankeemanf (179 posts) - - Show Bio

idk i see comics kinda like soap operas the main characters dont change age wise but th4e kids or in this case teh sidekicks age they do cuz like 20 somethin and 30 somethin ppl r more interestin than kids and elderly ppl in their eyes

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.