Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23637 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman # 35 or Detective Comics?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

...Now seems to be a good a time as any for me to jump aboard a Batman title, what with Zero Year finishing. I am quite a big Snyder fan, so should it be Batman #35 or the quite highly rated Detective Comics?

Avatar image for hauntedgraveyard
    HauntedGraveyard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HauntedGraveyard

Detective Comics. I personally can't stand the "Batman" title and didn't like zero year although I did enjoy Batman Future's End 1. I'm also not a fan of the art in "Batman". I find that art in Detective Comics is a lot better. Just my opinion.

Avatar image for riddlerzeroyear
    RiddlerZeroYear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is leagues about Det. Com.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're a big Snyder fan then you should definitely jump on Batman 35. With how much money comics cost, I personally just try to stay away from filler stories like Detective Comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman obviously. Snyder's batman is awesome and he's starting a new story called endgame that takes place after batman eternal. That already sounds exciting. It'll be even better since its something different from zero year, we are back to present batman.

Not only that but Tec is not even that great. It has great art, yes. But the major reason people are going crazy over it is because the team on the book previously was just mediocre. And like I said the art is awesome. But the story lacked real substance and there's no internal dialogue from batman which is really annoying and makes him seem weirder, like he's without a personality. Its good, but Snyders Batman is simply way better, he really knows what he's doing with Batman.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

It depends on what you're into.

If you like noire-type stories with a grounded and detective direction, go with DC. Detective Comics is a pure detective story and a slow but solid pace. You discover things as Batman does. There's no inner monologue, which is a breath of fresh air, there's no heavy internal struggle and metaphors, these are more straight forward stories. so far there's no elaborate super-villain world conquering scheme. Here Batman fights drug dealers, slavers and deals with issues such as domestic violence. There's also a lot of focus on Harvey Bullock, so if you're a fan of him, this may be for you. The next story will be about the anti-hero Anarchy. The art fits the tone of the story, it follows a noire and gritty type tone.

Snyder's Batman on the other hand is usually more grandiose, and heavy on exposition and internal struggle. Also, Snyder's stories tend to be more "wordy", and there's a lot of dialogue. The stories usually start off with a grounded build-up, almost in a similar way to DC, but then a major twist takes place and the pace quickens, and the story overall becomes much bigger, and some might call it an epic type story, where Batman fights something that threatens the entire city. Continuity wise, since this is the main Batman title, it will impact the Batman world, possibly even the entire DC-verse, more than Detective. The next story-line Endgame seems to also deal with a city-wide threat, and may feature the return of the Joker and maybe even the Justice League. Snyder has said that this is the biggest story-line they've done so far, which is saying a lot if you've seen what they've done before (Court of Owls and Zero Year were pretty big). Capullo's art is cartoonish but very expressive and the colored palette is very varied in comparison with Buccelatto's darker and more restricted colors.

The above comments are pretty biased and seem to show each user's personal preference than an objective point of view. I tried to show you what each book offers without my personal input and see what you personally prefer. But both are strong books though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.