Batman 2011 (Snyder) versus Detective Comics 2011 (Daniels)

#1 Posted by TheTimShow (78 posts) - - Show Bio

Which is better written, more action packed and better of a choice for a subscription?

Batman (2011-) by Scott Snyder or Detective Comics (2011-) by Tony Daniels?

#2 Posted by Katie24 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Snyder

#3 Posted by Illuminatus (9480 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this some kind of joke? Snyder slaughterstomps.

#4 Posted by The_Tree (7044 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman by Scott Snyder is miles better than Detective Comics by Tony Daniel.

#5 Posted by Nighthunter (28578 posts) - - Show Bio

Detective Comics is after The dark knight the worse Batman comic. And with Hurwitz joining as writer of the dark knight I'm thinking it may become the worst.

#6 Posted by Night Thrasher (3581 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

Is this some kind of joke? Snyder slaughterstomps.

This 10x

#7 Posted by PrimeDirective (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheTimShow said:

Which is better written, more action packed and better of a choice for a subscription?

Batman (2011-) by Scott Snyder or Detective Comics (2011-) by Tony Daniels?

You'd need to replace Tony Daniel's Detective Comics Batman with Grant Morrison's GD Batman for it to even be a contest, because we all know there's the Batman, and then there's the GD Batman.

#8 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrimeDirective said:

@TheTimShow said:

Which is better written, more action packed and better of a choice for a subscription?

Batman (2011-) by Scott Snyder or Detective Comics (2011-) by Tony Daniels?

You'd need to replace Tony Daniel's Detective Comics Batman with Grant Morrison's GD Batman for it to even be a contest, because we all know there's the Batman, and then there's the GD Batman.

GD Batman?

#9 Posted by batshrine (969 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

@PrimeDirective said:

@TheTimShow said:

Which is better written, more action packed and better of a choice for a subscription?

Batman (2011-) by Scott Snyder or Detective Comics (2011-) by Tony Daniels?

You'd need to replace Tony Daniel's Detective Comics Batman with Grant Morrison's GD Batman for it to even be a contest, because we all know there's the Batman, and then there's the GD Batman.

GD Batman?

I think he is referencing Frank Miller's All Star Batman...which idk how it ties to Morrison...

#10 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony Daniel writes awfully. Awfully. It's not even comparable to Snyder's Batman. In my opinion, you want something more comparable, try Batman and Robin by Tomasi.

#11 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

Batman by Scott Snyder is miles better than Detective Comics by Tony Daniel.

This

#12 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

Is this some kind of joke? Snyder slaughterstomps.

Seconded.

#13 Posted by Mercy_ (92256 posts) - - Show Bio

Snyder, no question.

Moderator
#14 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@Illuminatus said:

Is this some kind of joke? Snyder slaughterstomps.

Seconded.

#15 Posted by MadRooster81 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

Snyder's Batman is much better. But I'm still holding out for Detective Comics to get better, it started out decent!

#16 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Katie24 said:

Scott Snyder

#17 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Snyder.

I do love Daniel's art though.

#18 Posted by sinestro_GL (3030 posts) - - Show Bio

Snyder synderstomps!

#19 Posted by SupBatz (1671 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanary said:

Tony Daniel writes awfully. Awfully. It's not even comparable to Snyder's Batman. In my opinion, you want something more comparable, try Batman and Robin by Tomasi.

Agreed. This is a much fairer question.

I say Tomasi's Batman and Robin is far better than Snyder's Batman (which I feel is a bit overrated).

#20 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14586 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrimeDirective said:

@TheTimShow said:

Which is better written, more action packed and better of a choice for a subscription?

Batman (2011-) by Scott Snyder or Detective Comics (2011-) by Tony Daniels?

You'd need to replace Tony Daniel's Detective Comics Batman with Grant Morrison's GD Batman for it to even be a contest, because we all know there's the Batman, and then there's the GD Batman.

I want Grant Morrison back godamn it.

#21 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@PrimeDirective said:

@TheTimShow said:

Which is better written, more action packed and better of a choice for a subscription?

Batman (2011-) by Scott Snyder or Detective Comics (2011-) by Tony Daniels?

You'd need to replace Tony Daniel's Detective Comics Batman with Grant Morrison's GD Batman for it to even be a contest, because we all know there's the Batman, and then there's the GD Batman.

I want Grant Morrison back godamn it.

Grant Morrison is writing Batman Incorporated again, so it's all good.

#22 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

Is this some kind of joke? Snyder slaughterstomps.

Moderator
#23 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupBatz said:

@batmanary said:

Tony Daniel writes awfully. Awfully. It's not even comparable to Snyder's Batman. In my opinion, you want something more comparable, try Batman and Robin by Tomasi.

Agreed. This is a much fairer question.

I say Tomasi's Batman and Robin is far better than Snyder's Batman (which I feel is a bit overrated).

I like the relationship exploration between Batman and his Robins, and now between the Robins, in Tomasi's book. Snyder's Batman, however, is still leagues ahead in terms of introspection and deep storytelling. Not overrated, not overrated by a long shot.

#24 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@SupBatz said:

@batmanary said:

Tony Daniel writes awfully. Awfully. It's not even comparable to Snyder's Batman. In my opinion, you want something more comparable, try Batman and Robin by Tomasi.

Agreed. This is a much fairer question.

I say Tomasi's Batman and Robin is far better than Snyder's Batman (which I feel is a bit overrated).

I like the relationship exploration between Batman and his Robins, and now between the Robins, in Tomasi's book. Snyder's Batman, however, is still leagues ahead in terms of introspection and deep storytelling. Not overrated, not overrated by a long shot.

However, Snyder really has to alter the whole feel of Gotham to create the deep story which counts against him. Plus, the whole desperate situation to resolution goes by too fast in his book IMO.

#25 Posted by SupBatz (1671 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@SupBatz said:

@batmanary said:

Tony Daniel writes awfully. Awfully. It's not even comparable to Snyder's Batman. In my opinion, you want something more comparable, try Batman and Robin by Tomasi.

Agreed. This is a much fairer question.

I say Tomasi's Batman and Robin is far better than Snyder's Batman (which I feel is a bit overrated).

I like the relationship exploration between Batman and his Robins, and now between the Robins, in Tomasi's book. Snyder's Batman, however, is still leagues ahead in terms of introspection and deep storytelling. Not overrated, not overrated by a long shot.

I wouldn't say that. Snyder's certainly got an interesting arch going on - don't get me wrong - but his writing focuses very little on the characters and moreso on the story. I personally prefer character-driven books (Batman and Robin) to plot-driven books (Batman).

#26 Posted by JohnnyGat (1561 posts) - - Show Bio

Snyder's Batman, I mean honestly I thought the first issue of Detective Comics was very strong but failed to create anything interesting in the following issues.

#27 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupBatz said:

@KnightRise said:

@SupBatz said:

@batmanary said:

Tony Daniel writes awfully. Awfully. It's not even comparable to Snyder's Batman. In my opinion, you want something more comparable, try Batman and Robin by Tomasi.

Agreed. This is a much fairer question.

I say Tomasi's Batman and Robin is far better than Snyder's Batman (which I feel is a bit overrated).

I like the relationship exploration between Batman and his Robins, and now between the Robins, in Tomasi's book. Snyder's Batman, however, is still leagues ahead in terms of introspection and deep storytelling. Not overrated, not overrated by a long shot.

I wouldn't say that. Snyder's certainly got an interesting arch going on - don't get me wrong - but his writing focuses very little on the characters and moreso on the story. I personally prefer character-driven books (Batman and Robin) to plot-driven books (Batman).

I feel you. Even though the Owl arc isnt over yet, I still feel like Batman hasnt shown any character evolution so far. If anything, the Court just proved what everyone already knows: Batman pwns Gotham. In B&R he's still working through his issue with Damian but making (slow) progress. I like Snyder's run better than Tomasi for sheer epicness; Tomasi being the guy I loved during Nightwing Freefall.

#28 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@SupBatz said:

@KnightRise said:

@SupBatz said:

@batmanary said:

Tony Daniel writes awfully. Awfully. It's not even comparable to Snyder's Batman. In my opinion, you want something more comparable, try Batman and Robin by Tomasi.

Agreed. This is a much fairer question.

I say Tomasi's Batman and Robin is far better than Snyder's Batman (which I feel is a bit overrated).

I like the relationship exploration between Batman and his Robins, and now between the Robins, in Tomasi's book. Snyder's Batman, however, is still leagues ahead in terms of introspection and deep storytelling. Not overrated, not overrated by a long shot.

I wouldn't say that. Snyder's certainly got an interesting arch going on - don't get me wrong - but his writing focuses very little on the characters and moreso on the story. I personally prefer character-driven books (Batman and Robin) to plot-driven books (Batman).

I feel you. Even though the Owl arc isnt over yet, I still feel like Batman hasnt shown any character evolution so far. If anything, the Court just proved what everyone already knows: Batman pwns Gotham. In B&R he's still working through his issue with Damian but making (slow) progress. I like Snyder's run better than Tomasi for sheer epicness; Tomasi being the guy I loved during Nightwing Freefall.

In epicness, Snyder's run was better, but regarding actual action, it was a bit of a let down....the Talons actually threatened Bruce, for, what, 2 issues altogether?

I prefer character-driven stories...it's what keeps me in DC for what everything's worth, so seeing Batman and Robin coming out is more exciting than seeing Batman, although both are exciting.

#29 Edited by _Zombie_ (10297 posts) - - Show Bio

Snyder in a landslide.

#30 Posted by 1amnamtab (13 posts) - - Show Bio

snyder's batman run over daniel's detective comics, batman the dark knight over detective comics which isn't saying much about either. Batman and Robin ahead of both of them, but Grant Morrison's run was all time epeic!

#31 Posted by Queso6p4 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

Batman by Scott Snyder is miles better than Detective Comics by Tony Daniel.

This by far. Detective has been all over the place with no clear direction but hopefully we'll focus more on the Scarecrow now. The whole stint with Bane felt completely out of place as was the confrontation between him and Superman. If this Scarecrow arc isn't good I'm dropping Detective but I'll stick around for the insane cover.

#32 Posted by The_Tree (7044 posts) - - Show Bio

@Queso6p4: I think you're getting Detective mixed up with The Dark Knight.

#33 Posted by Queso6p4 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: Aha, you are correct. Detective still hasn't really done anything so far though.

#34 Posted by Onemoreposter (3865 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison with Leviathan Strikes!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.