Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman 1989...still looking good.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

...Just watching Tim Burton's Batman film for the zillionth time and thinking that It holds up quite well for a 25 year film. Dated far less than something like Superman 4 which also came out only a few years earlier...

Wonder why this is....

pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That's awesome

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Indeed, this film is awesome. It's been overshadowed a bit by the Nolan films but I still think Batman and Batman returns are masterpieces.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphu8414 said:

Indeed, this film is awesome. It's been overshadowed a bit by the Nolan films but I still think Batman and Batman returns are masterpieces.

Exactly, they still look very good 25 years on. Hopefully in 2033 Dark Knight will view equally as well,

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@bezza said:

...Just watching Tim Burton's Batman film for the zillionth time and thinking that It holds up quite well for a 25 year film. Dated far less than something like Superman 4 which also came out only a few years earlier...

Wonder why this is....

Compare their budgets and you'll see why.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam:

It cost 48 million and made over 400 million, Superman IV cost 17 mil and made 15 mil - oops!. On a budget to box office return, Batman returned massively more than any modern superhero movie. In fact its one of only 4 super-hero films to make the top 50 all time highest box office movies, adjusted for inflation (the others being Avengers, Spiderman 1 and Dark Knight).

Madflavor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I generally put The Dark Knight and Batman 89 on pretty even ground. Dark Knight is the better movie, but Batman 89 is the better comic book movie.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way that movie holds up... the low quality acting. the same reason the dark knight WILL hold up... a lack of low quality acting. Nicholson is the only watchable part of that movie.

MegaHGFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MegaHGFan

Batman 1989 as well as Returns are timeless films. I was watching X-Men 1 and 2 earlier this year, and though they are still good movies, they have an early 2000s era feel to them that prevents them from being timeless.

DaredevilDD78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Vicky Vale was hot

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@megahgfan:

Yeah, that and the fact that Hugh Jackman is STILL playing Wolverine and therefore he looks rather young in those X Men films, as does Ian McKellen, which kind of dates them now.

Anyway, I don't agree with our fellow Batman fan that the acting was awful. Mainly I was making the point that they stand up well in terms of the fight and action scenes the whole "film noir" type of over-riding atmosphere lends that Batman film a timeless quality, bit like Blade-runner.

Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman (1989) holds up well due to a couple reasons.

1. It's a bit of a period piece. The clothes, the weapons, the style... its feels closer to 1930s rather than shooting it in the 1980s.
    2. Burton's gothic setting is timeless. It intentionally downplays all things modern, in favor of mood.
    3. Brilliant acting. Nicholson killed as the Joker. And Michael Keaton is a very underrated actor. He did a superb job as Batman.
    Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vicky Vale was hot

Absolutely! I was a huge Kim Bassinger fan in my younger days, probably since her appearance in the Sean Connery one shot comeback Bond Film, Never say Never again, where she played love interest Domino..any other older Viner fans remember that one?!

The Batmobile was awesome too! Much better than the ugly one from the Nolan films.

DaredevilDD78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:
    @daredevildd78 said:

Vicky Vale was hot

Absolutely! I was a huge Kim Bassinger fan in my younger days, probably since her appearance in the Sean Connery one shot comeback Bond Film, Never say Never again, where she played love interest Domino..any other older Viner fans remember that one?!

The Batmobile was awesome too! Much better than the ugly one from the Nolan films.

oh yeah, i remember her in Never Say Never Again. You should definitely watch her in The Getaway :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it is ok

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Meh it's okay.

@bezza said:
    @daredevildd78 said:

Vicky Vale was hot

The tumbler was awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just rewatched it and it actually still is a decent movie. Its still only the fourth best batman movie though.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its been years since I last saw this movie.

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KingWillie

Batman 1989 as well as Returns are timeless films. I was watching X-Men 1 and 2 earlier this year, and though they are still good movies, they have an early 2000s era feel to them that prevents them from being timeless.

That's one thing I like bout em. When did the first X Men come out 01? I was in like first grade, they make me feel all nostalgic.

Rangerion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still like Burton's film over the Nolan films. The key for me is the visual style. And Nicholson's brilliant performance as Joker.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

I just rewatched it and it actually still is a decent movie. Its still only the fourth best batman movie though.

..but the three in front of it are pretty special eh?!

@entropy_aegis

The tumbler IS awesome, but less pleasing to these eyes than the 89 batmobile..

Its an age thing. I guess coz I was 20 when Tim Burton's Batman came out it makes me more nostalgic than the Nolan films.....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: yeah the dark knight trilogy is quite special.

Tikbaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Burton/Keaton Batman films are pretty timeless to me. They will never go out of style. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman '89 is okay by today's standards. It hasn't very aged well imo. Batman wasn't written well, Prince music should never be in a Bat flick, Alfred was as dumb as bricks, and the last act of the film was horrible.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
    mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think in terms of looks and ambiance it achieves that quite. Character and plot wise not so much.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dimitridkatsis

Burton is a genius.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: hmm, I actually thought the Burton Batmobile was really kind of ugly as well, maybe even worse because it was clearly going for style over function. While the Nolan Batmobile may not be pretty it looks badass and you believe that it can do all these crazy tricks while you watch it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.