Batman #17 Predictions!!!

• 66 results
#1 Posted by wessaari (630 posts) - - Show Bio

Literally what the title says.

Here's what I am thinking, every single member of the Bat-Clan has recieved their own silver platter and tray. (I have deduced this from Teen Titans issue 16)

That means that Alfred isn't necessarily dead, but every member is recieving something that is significant and heart wrenching. Alfred could be presented as one of the items, along with someone from Nightwing's past or current relations (thumbs crossed it isn't Sonia Zucco, Raya even though she's dead, or the little girl Christina), Barbara Gordon's mother, Titus or one of Damian's pets, Tim Drake's parents, or Jason's Mom.

Another thing I have noticed is that Joker is bringing each of the members to a secluded area that looks like a familiar cave scene.

And finally, Joker has said that Batman will kill the members of the Bat-family, and I think that he means this in a literal sense.

There has been speculation that the meaning of the arc is for a figurative sense, and though I feel like that will be the final outcome, Joker's drive is for the Family to be destroyed one way or another, and knowing that most of the family is alive for future stories, Joker won't succeed literally, but he might succeed in breaking down the overall dynamic of the Family. I also have a feeling that the cave and Manor will be taken down as well, just a hunch from a glimpse of art.

But the big question is whether or not Joker will die, and from this little preview, he could.

All ideas, and predictions are welcome in a sane and respectful manner.

#2 Posted by entropy_aegis (15456 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker will die.

#3 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

I think what would be especially interesting is if Joker really knows Batman's identity. That would elevate Snyder to the Batman-writer-hall-of-fame, not to mention add a whole new element of danger to the Bat-Joker relationship.

Whatever happens, I think #17 will make the entire Death of the Family arc worth reading. Batman #13-16 has been good, but not fantastic or groundbreaking (except for the art, which has been wonderful). However, with all the loose ends being wrapped up in #17, I think it'll make the arc just as good as the Court of Owls.

#4 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

You think he can wrap up all the story arcs up in one issue?

#5 Posted by havoc1201 (521 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the Joker will die, his face is decaying and if he lives he will have no face so its really the only outcome and i think one of the Bat members will do it.

#6 Posted by wessaari (630 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

You think he can wrap up all the story arcs up in one issue?

that really is how its looking. It says its the finale, so thats what I am assuming, and its gonna be a 40 page issue using the back up area for the main story. But all the story arcs have ended with pretty much the same scene, so Snyder has the means, and the opportunity to finish of this story in one issue

#7 Posted by wessaari (630 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower said:

I think what would be especially interesting is if Joker really knows Batman's identity. That would elevate Snyder to the Batman-writer-hall-of-fame, not to mention add a whole new element of danger to the Bat-Joker relationship.

Whatever happens, I think #17 will make the entire Death of the Family arc worth reading. Batman #13-16 has been good, but not fantastic or groundbreaking (except for the art, which has been wonderful). However, with all the loose ends being wrapped up in #17, I think it'll make the arc just as good as the Court of Owls.

Absoultely. This issue culminates everything that has been going on in each of the stories in one huge drama, mystery revealing issue. What the Court of Owls story had was a longer time span and fleshed out every issue to span it out in an almost year long story. Death of the Family is only 5 issues long within the original Batman story but crosses over more issues of other stories, and it will create a bigger impact than what the Court did, only because Joker is a familiar character, but it is his plans that keep us on the edge of our seats. where as we were discovering what the Court was and how strong it really was.

The Court of Owls, will remain one of the newest influential Batman stories, but for Snyder to great such a memorbale Joker story, well that will only lead it to be one of the best Batman stories

#8 Posted by NovaDawg (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower said:

I don't agree. One of the biggest dynamics of the Batman/Joker relationship is that Joker doesn't want or doesn't care who Batman is. Time and time again the Joker turned down opportunities to find out who Batman is and every time he declined. It almost goes back to how people have this myth that the Joker doesn't want to kill Batman, which isn't the case. While the idea of the Joker going after the different parts of the Bat-Family is a good one, this almost stalker love for Bats is actually kinda out of character for the Joker.

#9 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker knows. Bruce will have been wrong. Just like with the Owls. Joker will make it clear that he doesn't care about Bruce Wayne though and he's just killing that side so Batman can be...Batman.

Joker "dies" but not in a way that can be confirmed of course. He's too valuable for future stories. We'll get to see him under the rotting face before the issue is over.

Alfred was the obvious casualty of this story, but it's been dragged on to the point where I think he will be spared. Having said that, he lost his eyes, so Alfred will be blind for the remainder of the series. Another reminder to Bruce of his failings.

No superhero on the Bat Family will die. They will each be pained in some way (some physically, some emotionally), but I agree with other people who think the "death of the family" is more symbolic in meaning than literal.

Gordon could possibly die. It's been very quiet as far as he's concerned, but I can see Snyder pulling a "gotcha" at the end where the Joker deals with him while Batman is focused on the others.

#10 Posted by wessaari (630 posts) - - Show Bio

@NovaDawg said:

@gotwillpower said:

I don't agree. One of the biggest dynamics of the Batman/Joker relationship is that Joker doesn't want or doesn't care who Batman is. Time and time again the Joker turned down opportunities to find out who Batman is and every time he declined. It almost goes back to how people have this myth that the Joker doesn't want to kill Batman, which isn't the case. While the idea of the Joker going after the different parts of the Bat-Family is a good one, this almost stalker love for Bats is actually kinda out of character for the Joker.

its funny that you say that, because I have a theory on whether or not Joker knows the identities of the Bat-fam. I believe he knows, but he will never outright admit it to anyone or possible even himself. Its like he has all of this information but instead of thinking enough to put it alll together to affirm who is who, he refuses because that doesn't matter to him. it isn't Dick Grayson that is pulling Batman down, it is Nightwing, its isnt Damian Wayne its Robin, and so on and so forth. And in all honesty, out of all of batman's rogues Joker is the one who is the closest to Batman, and for him to develop his admiration is not a surprise, at least to me.

#11 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari: I think this is dead on. The title has spelled it out from the beginning and the mistrust spreading through the group has been palpable.

#12 Posted by wessaari (630 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Hugebatmanfan (8 posts) - - Show Bio

-Another thing I have noticed is that Joker is bringing each of the members to a secluded area that looks like a familiar cave scene-

Wait! Do you think this dinner may be taking place in the batcave??! I never thought of that and that would be pretty awesome!

#14 Posted by wessaari (630 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hugebatmanfan said:

-Another thing I have noticed is that Joker is bringing each of the members to a secluded area that looks like a familiar cave scene-

Wait! Do you think this dinner may be taking place in the batcave??! I never thought of that and that would be pretty awesome!

Yup, and from these two sneak peaks, it looks like they are in a cave, though I cant see any thing that would certify it being the Batcave. If it is the Bat-cave, then this is going to be one hell of a dinner party

#15 Posted by redhoodnet (153 posts) - - Show Bio

Will the Joker Die?

I think he may die in this story but lets be honest... there is no way that he is never coming back. I mean Jason Todd died... and Superman... and Supergirl... you get what I am saying here.

I am very glad that we are getting extra page count for this story. The fact that Batman #17 is a over sized issue may mean that we will get a very nice in depth ending to this story. If anything can be gleamed from Scott Snyder's other works and I am speaking very specifically of Black Mirror, Gates of Gotham and the Court of Owls he always ties it up for us in the last issue. Think about what you were thinking going into the last few issues of the Black Mirror....

As for a prediction from me.... I think that the only thing that will die is the concept of the "Bat Family"

#16 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

Joker knows. Bruce will have been wrong. Just like with the Owls.

Totally agree. If he's wrong again, I'll be happy (new aspect of Joker), but I'll also automatically think Bruce is wrong on everything for the rest of Snyder's run.

#17 Posted by wessaari (630 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower said:

@Reignmaker said:

Joker knows. Bruce will have been wrong. Just like with the Owls.

Totally agree. If he's wrong again, I'll be happy (new aspect of Joker), but I'll also automatically think Bruce is wrong on everything for the rest of Snyder's run.

its not that he is necessarily wrong, its that he is so headstrong and too arrogant in his reasonings with these past 2 very influential and potentially dangerous adversaries.

#18 Posted by MightyMODOK (89 posts) - - Show Bio

@havoc1201 said:

I think the Joker will die, his face is decaying and if he lives he will have no face so its really the only outcome and i think one of the Bat members will do it.

But even if he does die he is sure come back someway or another.

It sucks but that's what usually happens. People are already counting down to the return of Peter.

#19 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@MightyMODOK: Well yeah but Peter's actually, you know, there, so that countdown makes sense.

I don't think they can kill anyone major here, and that includes the Joker. Unless DC plans to retcon the whole of the New 52, this is Batman as Batman will be for decades to come, and removing his signature villain this early just wouldn't make any sense.

#20 Posted by wessaari (630 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@MightyMODOK: Well yeah but Peter's actually, you know, there, so that countdown makes sense.

I don't think they can kill anyone major here, and that includes the Joker. Unless DC plans to retcon the whole of the New 52, this is Batman as Batman will be for decades to come, and removing his signature villain this early just wouldn't make any sense.

I think he could die, but Snyder or someone else will write him in the future as though he someone how miraculously survived and he possibly gets his face back

#21 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari: True, but I've appreciated Snyder's writing quite a bit and I don't think a good writer would definitively kill Joker right now. He may write it as a likely death, but there should be a feasible way for Joker to have survived, for the express reason that he will need to come back some day. I don't think he needs his face back, though. For one thing, he always covers it with makeup anyway, and for another, there's a lot of great potential with harlequin masks in the future. He could pull a Deadpool and be hideous, but be known for the mask he wears instead of what lies beneath.

#23 Posted by wessaari (630 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

The Joker is really... CALENDAR MAN!

DONT SPOIL ANYTHING :((((

#24 Posted by NovaDawg (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

The Joker is really... CALENDAR MAN!

#25 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, the Joker is like a cockroach when you think he's dead, he comes back when needed.

#26 Posted by Manhunter123 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Damien does in fact die (he drowns) and Batman carries him out of the cave in the iconic image from "Death in the family". Harper Row becomes the new Robin in April to assist the grieving Bruce. If you look closely at the preview panels for #17, you see Batman causing the cave in and then rushing forward to the bound Damien tied to a chair while the Joker raises his hands in anger. You can also make out the dinner table that the roof crashes down on. I used my iPad and zoomed in on the preview panel. Just my hypothesis. Hmmmmmmm.

#27 Posted by Manhunter123 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

.......And in true Joker fashion, his body will be buried under the cave rubble until his next incarnation. The rest of the Batman family will rally around Bruce and tell him that no one could have survived that cave in. Damian gets a glass case for his costume. (I Should be writing this stuff!) Just saying.

#28 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Snyder said himself that people is gonna get truely shocked, and be like "oh s*** no you didnt!?"

#29 Posted by NewComicGuy (131 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though not officially, wouldn't it be fair to think that Joker may consider himself part of the Bat Family? Perhaps he means that he will make Batman kill him and go against his code? Just a thought from a newbie.

#30 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

its the "newbies" that make the best ideas imo, cause you guys are not indoctrinated in all of this :D

#31 Posted by wessaari (630 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

its the "newbies" that make the best ideas imo, cause you guys are not indoctrinated in all of this :D

lol it keeps things interesting

#32 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari: Interesting. Joker will show each member of the bat-family something personally devastating. They'll hate Bruce for not believing the Joker knew their identities and warning everyone. In turn Bruce will push everyone away to make sure no more of his wards gets targeted again. A la "Death of the Family"

I can dig it.

kh••d

#33 Posted by GunSlingerHex (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I know this sounds crazy but I have a feeling that The Joker We've been Seeing In the other titles has been clay face That would explain the continuity errors of Joker being everywhere.

#34 Posted by spiderturtle (66 posts) - - Show Bio

"Hush little baby, dont say a word." Haha, Joker was singing, would be pretty cool if there was a Hush siting. :O

#35 Posted by wessaari (630 posts) - - Show Bio

@GunSlingerHex said:

I know this sounds crazy but I have a feeling that The Joker We've been Seeing In the other titles has been clay face That would explain the continuity errors of Joker being everywhere.

This actually has crossed my mind, but I didn't really think that Snyder would use that as it has been used in Arkham City. But the Joker has said that he would take down the Bat-family in less than 3 days, so that time span could allow him enough time to take down a couple of the Bat-Clan each night and finally Batman at the end

#36 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

Snyder said himself that people is gonna get truely shocked, and be like "oh s*** no you didnt!?"

Oh man saying that's a tiny death for a story. If he doesn't make a big twist people will call him out for being obvious and if he does make a shocking twist people will say it's simple for shock value.

There's no winning when you promise a shock.

#37 Posted by entropy_aegis (15456 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@FatihBATMAN said:

Oh man saying that's a tiny death for a story. If he doesn't make a big twist people will call him out for being obvious and if he does make a shocking twist people will say it's simple for shock value.

There's no winning when you promise a shock.

Precisely,and if he kills off a major character people will hate him and they'll hate the replacement character.@GunSlingerHex said:

Lame plot device,would be more shocking if Hush and Arkham City hadn't already gone that route.

#38 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

either way the outcome is bad then :<?

#39 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN: Basically yeah. Promising a shock is basically the worst idea ever.

#40 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

uhhh.....hate that....then just dont say it AT ALL you know....theres shock value for yah when it hits...

#41 Posted by bilwit (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Different parts of Alfred are in the platter. Bruce kills Joker in a fit of rage. Dick gets pissed off and blames Bruce. Jason acts like Bruce's killing vindicates him -- though I'm not sure what to make out of the half face/helmet, the first cover is pretty abstract but the next cover shows Roy holding the helmet with half of it missing so..

#42 Posted by GunSlingerHex (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to think that this story's going to end on this note.At The End of the story there is a possibility that joker may or may not die but the aftereffects of what he does to them each individually will give him the last laugh.

#43 Posted by wessaari (630 posts) - - Show Bio

ugh this is gonna be a long week, so looking forward to this issue !!!!!

#44 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15067 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, guys remember Hush used to be "the world's greatest surgeon", I'm pretty sure he can fix Joker's face.

#45 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

Well, guys remember Hush used to be "the world's greatest surgeon", I'm pretty sure he can fix Joker's face.

Gotta good point there, I'm sure some writer down the road will use it if Snyder doesn't.

#46 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15067 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, I want Snyder on his next story arch to keep it quiet and then, BAM! Plot twist!

#47 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be preferable, as I said when you announce that you plan to shock you're basically setting yourself up to fail.

#48 Posted by wessaari (630 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

Also, I want Snyder on his next story arch to keep it quiet and then, BAM! Plot twist!

and you my good sir might have spoiled a new arc from almightly Snyder :P

#49 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15067 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari: Crap! me and my detective skills.

#50 Posted by consolemaster001 (5895 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's my ending: batman kills the joker. In his dying words he says : HAHAHAHA i knew it ! You're just like me!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.