Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Bat Panther!?

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HushoftheWind
    No Caption Provided

So apparently David is "quitting" in a future Batwing title, so who is this guy? And where the hell are the WINGS!?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@HushoftheWind:I don't know who he is, but isn't it kinda weird to replace such a new character? If they're getting bored of him, why not just cancel the series? It doesn't sell well.

I don't actually read it. I hear it's pretty awful.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#3  Edited By Teerack

Looks cooler in my opinion.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By roboadmiral

This costume is way better, but I still don't get why Batwing exists at all. As far as I can tell they just really wanted a black Bat-character for some reason or another.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@roboadmiral: What I don't get is how he got his own series so quickly. I think he only appeared in two issues before getting the New 52, so maybe being untested/unproven is why his series isn't selling well.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By roboadmiral

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: That's probably one aspect of it, although I think the bigger issue was that it just wasn't very good. It kind of checked all the boxes for things you shouldn't do if you want your book to sell well: give a book to a character nobody knows, make that character obviously a knock-off of an already well known character, give that character no interesting or defining traits to make him seem worth while.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#7  Edited By AssertingValor

Always thought batman would be cooler without the cape

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@roboadmiral said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: That's probably one aspect of it, although I think the bigger issue was that it just wasn't very good. It kind of checked all the boxes for things you shouldn't do if you want your book to sell well: give a book to a character nobody knows, make that character obviously a knock-off of an already well known character, give that character no interesting or defining traits to make him seem worth while.

That does sound like a recipe for a slow seller.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@LordMaverick said:

Always thought batman would be cooler without the cape

Isn't the cape kind of important though?

I've always thought the cape was there to represent the wings of the bat. Some people call bats,'rats with wings', so without the cape, wouldn't he just be Ratman?

Nightwing4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Nightwing4

I'm sure the suit includes some wings that fold in when not in use, like in Batman Beyond. Otherwise he wouldn't be Batwing, he'd be Batarmor.

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Aronmorales

Gee that looks cool!

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FatihBATMAN

....looks like a crossover between ironman, and bats.. lol :D

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By entropy_aegis

The new costume may appear cooler but it's bland realistically speaking,he looks like a Batrobot instead of an actual person.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By longbowhunter

I always hated how he was the Batman of Africa. Really one superhero for a whole continent full of horrors? Get this man some help instead of a new suit.

The_Soverighn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Soverighn

properly still david

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By batshrine

@roboadmiral said:

This costume is way better, but I still don't get why Batwing exists at all. As far as I can tell they just really wanted a black Bat-character for some reason or another.

The reason why they are keeping him is cause he is the ONLY character right now (soon to be joined with the upcoming Vibe and Katana) that a solo book stars someone who isn't white. Plus the stories are now definitely improving.

As far as who is under it, I still think its David, but they updated his armor cause it looks SO much better now.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TrueMarvel

Unrelated:

Batman(bruce wayne) being African American actually makes much more sense in a strange way

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By roboadmiral

@batshrine said:

@roboadmiral said:

The reason why they are keeping him is cause he is the ONLY character right now (soon to be joined with the upcoming Vibe and Katana) that a solo book stars someone who isn't white. Plus the stories are now definitely improving.

As far as who is under it, I still think its David, but they updated his armor cause it looks SO much better now.

I hope you'll forgive me for not finding that a terribly compelling reason. If a character has a book it should be because it's a book worth reading and for no other. Beyond that I really don't care and from what I've seen of Batwing it seems to be a pretty meh cash-in on Batman's brand recognition.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MuyJingo

@TrueMarvel said:

Unrelated:

Batman(bruce wayne) being African American actually makes much more sense in a strange way

Actually it would have been impossible. The Wayne fortune could not have been built while so much racism and slavery was going on.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.