Bat Panther!?

#1 Posted by HushoftheWind (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

So apparently David is "quitting" in a future Batwing title, so who is this guy? And where the hell are the WINGS!?

#2 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6434 posts) - - Show Bio

@HushoftheWind:I don't know who he is, but isn't it kinda weird to replace such a new character? If they're getting bored of him, why not just cancel the series? It doesn't sell well.

I don't actually read it. I hear it's pretty awful.

#3 Posted by Teerack (7089 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks cooler in my opinion.

#4 Posted by roboadmiral (546 posts) - - Show Bio

This costume is way better, but I still don't get why Batwing exists at all. As far as I can tell they just really wanted a black Bat-character for some reason or another.

#5 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6434 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral: What I don't get is how he got his own series so quickly. I think he only appeared in two issues before getting the New 52, so maybe being untested/unproven is why his series isn't selling well.

#6 Posted by roboadmiral (546 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: That's probably one aspect of it, although I think the bigger issue was that it just wasn't very good. It kind of checked all the boxes for things you shouldn't do if you want your book to sell well: give a book to a character nobody knows, make that character obviously a knock-off of an already well known character, give that character no interesting or defining traits to make him seem worth while.

#7 Posted by AssertingValor (5396 posts) - - Show Bio

Always thought batman would be cooler without the cape

#8 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6434 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: That's probably one aspect of it, although I think the bigger issue was that it just wasn't very good. It kind of checked all the boxes for things you shouldn't do if you want your book to sell well: give a book to a character nobody knows, make that character obviously a knock-off of an already well known character, give that character no interesting or defining traits to make him seem worth while.

That does sound like a recipe for a slow seller.

#9 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6434 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordMaverick said:

Always thought batman would be cooler without the cape

Isn't the cape kind of important though?

I've always thought the cape was there to represent the wings of the bat. Some people call bats,'rats with wings', so without the cape, wouldn't he just be Ratman?

#10 Posted by Nightwing4 (369 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure the suit includes some wings that fold in when not in use, like in Batman Beyond. Otherwise he wouldn't be Batwing, he'd be Batarmor.

#11 Posted by Aronmorales (9494 posts) - - Show Bio

Gee that looks cool!

#12 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

....looks like a crossover between ironman, and bats.. lol :D

#13 Posted by entropy_aegis (15456 posts) - - Show Bio

The new costume may appear cooler but it's bland realistically speaking,he looks like a Batrobot instead of an actual person.

#14 Posted by longbowhunter (7327 posts) - - Show Bio

I always hated how he was the Batman of Africa. Really one superhero for a whole continent full of horrors? Get this man some help instead of a new suit.

#15 Posted by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

properly still david

#16 Posted by batshrine (999 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral said:

This costume is way better, but I still don't get why Batwing exists at all. As far as I can tell they just really wanted a black Bat-character for some reason or another.

The reason why they are keeping him is cause he is the ONLY character right now (soon to be joined with the upcoming Vibe and Katana) that a solo book stars someone who isn't white. Plus the stories are now definitely improving.

As far as who is under it, I still think its David, but they updated his armor cause it looks SO much better now.

#17 Edited by TrueMarvel (204 posts) - - Show Bio

Unrelated:

Batman(bruce wayne) being African American actually makes much more sense in a strange way

#18 Posted by roboadmiral (546 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

@roboadmiral said:

The reason why they are keeping him is cause he is the ONLY character right now (soon to be joined with the upcoming Vibe and Katana) that a solo book stars someone who isn't white. Plus the stories are now definitely improving.

As far as who is under it, I still think its David, but they updated his armor cause it looks SO much better now.

I hope you'll forgive me for not finding that a terribly compelling reason. If a character has a book it should be because it's a book worth reading and for no other. Beyond that I really don't care and from what I've seen of Batwing it seems to be a pretty meh cash-in on Batman's brand recognition.

#19 Posted by MuyJingo (1799 posts) - - Show Bio

@TrueMarvel said:

Unrelated:

Batman(bruce wayne) being African American actually makes much more sense in a strange way

Actually it would have been impossible. The Wayne fortune could not have been built while so much racism and slavery was going on.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.