Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Awesome Toy Picks: Zur-En-Arrh Batman

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Every week we take a select a comic book collectible and take a close look at it. That means taking it out of the package. This week we're going to look at a Batman figure. Most people like Batman. Most people have several different versions of Batman action figures. This one is a little different. Let's take a look at Planet-X Batman, aka Zur-En-Arrh Batman.

No Caption Provided

This is one of the figures in the current Batman Unlimited line from Mattel. What's interesting about this choice is we essentially have two separate versions in the comics. The original was actually an alien named Tlano from another planet, Planet-X. The planet is also referred to as Zur-En-Arrh. You can see the back of the package has some information on him (although there is one typo).

No Caption Provided

What makes this odd is the art that is used on the package. You can see it's from the Batman: R.I.P. storyline, which was actually Bruce Wayne, when he was a little messed in the head.

Regardless of this and the fact that Bat-Mite is included even though he doesn't have anything to do with him either, it's a cool figure to have. Bat-Mite was (sort of) involved with Batman when he was going through his crazed Zur-En-Arrh phase in R.I.P.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This is actually the second Bat-Mite Mattel has recently released. If Zur-En-Arrh Batman wasn't enough, getting Bat-Mite is definitely a sweet bonus. His head, arms and legs do have some articulation.

The figure also comes with...a baseball bat. Because this is when Bruce Wayne was out of sorts, he put together a hodge podge costume. The bat was something he picked up. You can even see the cellphone he used and attached to his utility belt. The seams in the costume add a nice touch along with the tattered cape.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

As with the previous line, there is a slightly strange look with some of the articulation. I never understood the need for the stomach articulation. It just adds a giant seam in the figure. His legs are a little awkward when standing still. He does look better if you try reposition the legs in a more action stance.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I mentioned the previous Bat-Mite. He was included in a K-Mart exclusive in the Batman Legacy line. (You can see pics of those figures HERE).

I figured, why not include that Bat-Mite here as well. They are a little different and would probably drive this Batman even more bonkers. The Bat-Mite here doesn't look too happy about it either.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I guess two Bat-Mites are no match for a crazy Batman with a baseball bat.

No Caption Provided

I can't say how easy this figure would be to find. I actually picked him up at WonderCon for $20. His sculpt isn't perfect. There have definitely been better sculpted ones, but this is Zur-En-Arrh Batman. The minor complaints can be overlooked for the fact that this is crazy Batman. Plus he comes with a Bat-Mite.

Let us know what you think of this figure. We'll take a look at another collectible next time.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By noj

Its pretty lame that they clearly based this figure off Batman during R.I.P but then advertise him as the Golden Age Batman of zur en arrh. The details like how tattered his cape is and the patchwork seams on the costume along with the bat and the phone on his belt are very nice touches.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

No Caption Provided

I enjoy this image too much.

Spartan101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spartan101

Its ok but just feel its a bit of a rip off,maybe just the big fans purchase only?

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I just read the database info on tlano. It makes sense that this was used in the silverage and then used by bruce in the modern age. I like the device that was used in making modern bruce revisit a silver age character that would not make sense today but still is interesting as heck to look at because that is one cool costume.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not a fan of action figures... more of a statue collector... but this is a nice piece! I LOVE Batman RIP and therefore, would love to have a Zur En Arrr Batman!

But its weird thatthey describe him as being the silver age version, when its clearly Morissons Zur En Arrrr Batman. I also think that it would maybe sell better, if they would say its a crazy version of Bruce Wayne, instead of an alien named Tlano.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Veshark

I've always liked the ZEA costume, it was one of my favorite looks and Tony Daniel drew the &*^% out of it. So it's kinda disappointing that this figure looks less than impressive. The colors are too bright, and I feel like the sculpt isn't as ragged as it could be. The bat's a nice touch, but I can't believe they didn't give him a Bat-Radia!

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was excited to get it. It isn't opened. Just on the shelf with all my other packages batman toys. It's still a great edition though.

Avatar image for deactivated-579e79a09210d
    deactivated-579e79a09210d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I always like this topic of articles

BritishMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

It reminds me of a bootlegged Batman figure lol.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By SevanGrim

my shop yesterday had all their figures on sale 20% off, and i had a tough time choosing between this one, Impulse, Kingdom Come Aquaman, Catman, and Hawkman. I got Hawkman.

...and thats my story.

wolfyboy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice! I found found this toy line at Target for $15.00 lol

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol so odd.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

My comic shop has one of these, was considering buying it, but I haven't bought any action figures in sooo long.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

This makes me wanna read Morrison's epic again.

Gaafar93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gaafar93

Dig it. Was hoping they'd make a zur en arrh figure. Don't like how snoty bat-mite looks though. Cellphone? umm bat-radia.

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Funny how I saw this exact action figure, yesterday, at Free Comic Book Day at my local comic shop

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

that costume... ? what were they thinking..

Mr. Messy Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw this at my local comic shop yesterday. It was right next to New-52 Batgirl and Injustice: Gods Among Us Batman.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Haha, Zur-en-Arrh knocking out two Bat-Mites is classic for me. Just classic.

Bad_People

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's all about the Bat-mite. Also I think the line here saying "Most people have several different versions of Batman action figures." may have been overstating thing a bit.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By sinestro_GL

@noj said:

Its pretty lame that they clearly based this figure off Batman during R.I.P but then advertise him as the Golden Age Batman of zur en arrh. The details like how tattered his cape is and the patchwork seams on the costume along with the bat and the phone on his belt are very nice touches.

That's how I felt

DadaHyena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how Bat-Mite looks like a grumpy old man who's been cosplaying for far too long!

reubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By reubs

I've been trying to find this figure at our local target because I like the Zurr-en-Arrh bit from RIP so much. The costume looks insane, but it's a great plotpoint from Morrison's story, so it serves a purpose. The bat-radia, baseball bat, and Bat-Mite are nice touches, too.

I'm going to try again tomorrow to track one down; hopefully they'll have it instock then.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.