Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Anyone else think Damian should not have been canon?

• 67 results
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@aahz said:

@entropy_aegis:

In Jasons case I wouldn't say that Lobdell is the only one, he got at least some good appearances in the superman franchise books.

In the Batman books on the other hand ... Just look at robin War, apart from the quite cool jail break scene, Tim and Jason didn't had much to do appart from playing babysitter for the We Are Robin Kids, and they didn't even let them come up with a decent plan for the attack on the CotO base at Gotham Academy. And them being taken down by Damian was not only embarrassing but also removed them completely from the final showdown of the story.

That was just Greg Pak and one could argue he did the same that Damian is being accused of except in favour of Jason. The first annual was just dumb.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

@nathaniel_christopher said:
    @bat_girl_cc said:
    @bat_girl_cc said:

And people need to learn how to understand the context behind the feats they name...comic-book Damian was never impressive to me feat-wise, he lost to Tim Drake more than once, Stephanie Brown managed to hold her own against him although neither was really trying, and both Tim and Steph are C-listers in fighting at best...comic-book Damian's best feats are against cannon-fodder which isn't very impressive because we don't now how skilled those people are...and he has never actually dodged a bullet, very few non-superpowered beings have actually dodged a bullet one single time on the entire comic-book histories, what they do all of the time, its something that literally everyone does, and that's aim-dodging or in other words dodging the gun's aim, which means that by doing so you aren't proving yourself capable of bullet-time, you a re proving yourself faster than the shooter or at least you have better reflexes than him.

He has some good feats, sure, but nothing like what was presented on son of Batman, that was ridiculous, fighting on equal footing with Deathstroke? lol, but then again THAT Deathstroke got curbstomped by Batman, who normally is below Deathstroke so...i mean the whole movie was horrible and shouldn't be used for feats-refferences.

Placing Tim Drake in the same bracket as Stephanie Brown is ridiculous lmfao his showings place him leagues beyond her and I think you're heavily underestimating him.

Comic Book Damian has damn near the exact same feats as those of the film version, plus more. The best thing the film version did was beat Deathstroke, who as you yourself pointed out isn't the equal of his comic book counterpart, so that doesn't really hold up that much at all.

Yes, but they have been stated to be aroud the same level multiple times, the most recente was Convergence: Batgirl tie-in-issue..Steph stated that while she wasn't a equal to Cass or Nightwing, she was a equal to Robin (Tim Drake).

Damian also stallemated Batman and "beat" Nightwing, on the second movie, i mean the attempt to make him look as awesome as possible was loud and clear, and i would've been okay with it, if instead of him the movie was about Lady Shiva, for exemple, someone that in the comics would've actually stallemate Batman and beat Nightwing.

Anyways, like i said, i'm over it, Damian is good, but on the movies they tried to make him look more capable than he actually is, that much is obvious.

Not sure which issue you're talking about, but the issue with Tim, Cass, and Steph has Stephanie having been out of the costume for a year and being acknowledged as rusty by all three parties. Tim completely doubts her ability to handle the challenge ahead and makes it very clear that he thinks he or Cass would've been a much better choice. In the event that it was mentioned by Stephanie, so what? That's the worst kind of proof. One character's equal to the other because she claimed to be? Damian Wayne had a low opinion of Tim Drake, doesn't change the fact that Tim proved him wrong time and again (Before Damian was even introduced in fact) with his accomplishments. Feat-wise, Tim Drake trumps Stephanie Brown and trying to say they're equals is laughable. Steph is by a wide margin the worst fighter in the Bat Family Pre-Flashpoint.

Neither Batman or Nightwing, as i've already pointed out, are the equal of their comic book counterparts, just like Deathstroke isn't. So that only applies to their film versions, not their comic book counterparts and the same goes with Damian. The writers wanting Damian to look and be awesome is a given, taking that and then trying to say that he's then the superior of his comic book counterpart is another thing entirely and again, just like the above statement, makes no sense based off of actual feats. Honestly, unless you're going to give the film counterparts of Batman, Nightwing, and Deathstroke the same feats as their comic book counterparts then you have nothing to base them off of except what they actually accomplish in the film, which again leads back to the conclusion that none of them are as skilled as they are in the comics.

Nope, there's lots of evidence, on Tim's last solo series before Flahspoint happened he commented on Steph's skills many times and in how he was impressed (when she easly toke down Prudence, for exemple, after Prudence pointed a gun at her, and Tim was just there staring at them not knowing what to do), etc, although i agree that Tim's feats are better, though i don't think that Steph as Batgirl, is far behind Tim as Red Robin (skill-wise) and yeah Steph is Bat-families worst fighter.

Sure, comics versions have much more appearences and thus much more feats, though quantity =/= quality...my point is that Damian was made seem somthing that he really isn't, or at least not on that level.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

@aahz said:
    @bat_girl_cc said:

As a matter of fact him overwhelming both Tim Drake and Jason Todd, one after the other, on Robin War arc, was his best skill showing that i remember, but then again, Dick Grayson for instances could have done the same.

I can't remember Dick (or Bruce) taking down Jason that easily. Pre Flashpoint Fights between them were usually very close.

To me this fight is more another example how badly Jason and Tim were often treated in the books of the Batman office these days than a feat for Damian.

Fair Enough.

New-52 Damian has better feats than his pre-52 counterpart. His fights against Talon,Slade,Heretic and Jason were all impressive but there was context behind each fight and he didn't win all of them,in fact he only beat Talon and that too from behind.

@aahz said:
    @bat_girl_cc said:

As a matter of fact him overwhelming both Tim Drake and Jason Todd, one after the other, on Robin War arc, was his best skill showing that i remember, but then again, Dick Grayson for instances could have done the same.

I can't remember Dick (or Bruce) taking down Jason that easily. Pre Flashpoint Fights between them were usually very close.

To me this fight is more another example how badly Jason and Tim were often treated in the books of the Batman office these days than a feat for Damian.

This,though I'd go further and add that Jason and Tim are 2 characters no one in the writing staff apart from Lobdell gives a damn about. But they're both popular so they get published anyway.

True.

If the writters care about them, they sure know how to hide their feelings.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@bat_girl_cc said:
    @bat_girl_cc said:
    @bat_girl_cc said:

And people need to learn how to understand the context behind the feats they name...comic-book Damian was never impressive to me feat-wise, he lost to Tim Drake more than once, Stephanie Brown managed to hold her own against him although neither was really trying, and both Tim and Steph are C-listers in fighting at best...comic-book Damian's best feats are against cannon-fodder which isn't very impressive because we don't now how skilled those people are...and he has never actually dodged a bullet, very few non-superpowered beings have actually dodged a bullet one single time on the entire comic-book histories, what they do all of the time, its something that literally everyone does, and that's aim-dodging or in other words dodging the gun's aim, which means that by doing so you aren't proving yourself capable of bullet-time, you a re proving yourself faster than the shooter or at least you have better reflexes than him.

He has some good feats, sure, but nothing like what was presented on son of Batman, that was ridiculous, fighting on equal footing with Deathstroke? lol, but then again THAT Deathstroke got curbstomped by Batman, who normally is below Deathstroke so...i mean the whole movie was horrible and shouldn't be used for feats-refferences.

Placing Tim Drake in the same bracket as Stephanie Brown is ridiculous lmfao his showings place him leagues beyond her and I think you're heavily underestimating him.

Comic Book Damian has damn near the exact same feats as those of the film version, plus more. The best thing the film version did was beat Deathstroke, who as you yourself pointed out isn't the equal of his comic book counterpart, so that doesn't really hold up that much at all.

Yes, but they have been stated to be aroud the same level multiple times, the most recente was Convergence: Batgirl tie-in-issue..Steph stated that while she wasn't a equal to Cass or Nightwing, she was a equal to Robin (Tim Drake).

Damian also stallemated Batman and "beat" Nightwing, on the second movie, i mean the attempt to make him look as awesome as possible was loud and clear, and i would've been okay with it, if instead of him the movie was about Lady Shiva, for exemple, someone that in the comics would've actually stallemate Batman and beat Nightwing.

Anyways, like i said, i'm over it, Damian is good, but on the movies they tried to make him look more capable than he actually is, that much is obvious.

Not sure which issue you're talking about, but the issue with Tim, Cass, and Steph has Stephanie having been out of the costume for a year and being acknowledged as rusty by all three parties. Tim completely doubts her ability to handle the challenge ahead and makes it very clear that he thinks he or Cass would've been a much better choice. In the event that it was mentioned by Stephanie, so what? That's the worst kind of proof. One character's equal to the other because she claimed to be? Damian Wayne had a low opinion of Tim Drake, doesn't change the fact that Tim proved him wrong time and again (Before Damian was even introduced in fact) with his accomplishments. Feat-wise, Tim Drake trumps Stephanie Brown and trying to say they're equals is laughable. Steph is by a wide margin the worst fighter in the Bat Family Pre-Flashpoint.

Neither Batman or Nightwing, as i've already pointed out, are the equal of their comic book counterparts, just like Deathstroke isn't. So that only applies to their film versions, not their comic book counterparts and the same goes with Damian. The writers wanting Damian to look and be awesome is a given, taking that and then trying to say that he's then the superior of his comic book counterpart is another thing entirely and again, just like the above statement, makes no sense based off of actual feats. Honestly, unless you're going to give the film counterparts of Batman, Nightwing, and Deathstroke the same feats as their comic book counterparts then you have nothing to base them off of except what they actually accomplish in the film, which again leads back to the conclusion that none of them are as skilled as they are in the comics.

Nope, there's lots of evidence, on Tim's last solo series before Flahspoint happened he commented on Steph's skills many times and in how he was impressed (when she easly toke down Prudence, for exemple, after Prudence pointed a gun at her, and Tim was just there staring at them not knowing what to do), etc, although i agree that Tim's feats are better, though i don't think that Steph as Batgirl, is far behind Tim as Red Robin (skill-wise) and yeah Steph is Bat-families worst fighter.

Sure, comics versions have much more appearences and thus much more feats, though quantity =/= quality...my point is that Damian was made seem somthing that he really isn't, or at least not on that level.

Batman has, multiple times, stated that he was impressed with Tim's skills. Is Tim equal to Batman? The point i'm making is that being impressed with a person isn't the equivalent to stating that said person is your equal or superior. Tim then has the better feats so I don't really see how there's even an argument about this.

And i'm not arguing with how Damian was made to seem within the film. I understand and agree with that 100%. My statements were simply pointing out that you see greater things within the real of the comics in regards to all characters. The versions in the films are all closer to each other in skill. Deathstroke especially probably suffers the largest drop in overall ability.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Aahz

@aahz said:

@entropy_aegis:

In Jasons case I wouldn't say that Lobdell is the only one, he got at least some good appearances in the superman franchise books.

In the Batman books on the other hand ... Just look at robin War, apart from the quite cool jail break scene, Tim and Jason didn't had much to do appart from playing babysitter for the We Are Robin Kids, and they didn't even let them come up with a decent plan for the attack on the CotO base at Gotham Academy. And them being taken down by Damian was not only embarrassing but also removed them completely from the final showdown of the story.

That was just Greg Pak and one could argue he did the same that Damian is being accused of except in favour of Jason. The first annual was just dumb.

His showing were maybe a little bit over the top in that Annual, but not more than Batmans.

And in these stories at least he wasn't whiny or incompetent, was willing to use methods the other Batfamily members wouldn't use (like nuking Vandal Savage) to get the job done, wasn't written like Dick or used as comic relief, was part of the main plot and you didn't had the feeling that the writers just put him to have all Batfamily members in the story.

And btw. his appearence in Supergirl was written by Tony Bedard and not by Greg Pak.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By entropy_aegis

@aahz said:
    @entropy_aegis said:
    @aahz said:

@entropy_aegis:

His showing were maybe a little bit over the top in that Annual, but not more than Batmans.

And in these stories at least he wasn't whiny or incompetent, was willing to use methods the other Batfamily members wouldn't use (like nuking Vandal Savage) to get the job done, wasn't written like Dick or used as comic relief, was part of the main plot and you didn't had the feeling that the writers just put him to have all Batfamily members in the story.

And btw. his appearence in Supergirl was written by Tony Bedard and not by Greg Pak.

Exactly,everyone had stupid showings there imo.

I enjoyed his appearances in the last BM/SM arc though so yeah agree on that.

I found it equally stupid,just so random. Lobdell had barely started that venom arc and Bedard rolled with it already? moreover venom doesn't allow it's user to break a Kryptonians grip.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I truly don't mind the character of Damain, I went very hating the little punk to loving the little snot. I much prefer the book version over the anmatied movie version, for obvious reasons. I also don't like how certain characters get snuff in favor of him at times, but overall I find the character of Damain Wayne fairly cool.

sooperfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Damian, he's a complex character that adds more to Bruce's complex life. But what happened to him during the Bat-Gordon arc? can anyone tell me?

Avatar image for deactivated-603d78f3c205e
    deactivated-603d78f3c205e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Damian, he's a complex character that adds more to Bruce's complex life. But what happened to him during the Bat-Gordon arc? can anyone tell me?

He was in his quest for redemption. He return to Gotham for Robin War, and I think we might have a Amnesia!Bruce/Damian moment in issue 9 from his series.

sooperfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-603d78f3c205e
    deactivated-603d78f3c205e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooperfly: issue 9 is not on sale yet, until the 17/02. Robin son of batman is a book about Damian's redemption. If you want read about this, you can try with this page: http://www.hellocomic.com/robin-son-of-batman-2015/c1/p1

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah all of Bruce's kids were conveniently not around when a new Batman first popped up.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I disliked the character at first but he grew on me.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I have neutral feelings about Damian, I don't love him but he's not a character that I particularly hate either.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.