Anyone else feel like Batman's off with Bane?

#1 Posted by Lasiurus (89 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, I'll try to be as clear as possible with this. Bane is often said to be a brilliant tactician. I don't really get that, because when he beat Batman during the Knightfall it was basically wait for him to get worn down and then jump him. If that's the mark of a genius, then I suppose we can start handing out PhD's to gang bangers that go around and do the exact same thing. "Alright guys! You jumped an honest hardworking man when he was tired from a hard day of work!"

What I don't understand however, is this; If Bane on venom was too much of a coward/too smart to fight Batman head on, then how come without venom he's considered an equal match and their fights end in draws? Despite having nowhere near the training, martial arts level etc, and no longer having enhanced strength from Venom?

#2 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lasiurus: I couldn't have said it better myself. The main criticism against most animated portrayals is that they depict him as a thug but if you were to have an objective mind and really think about it someone who goes through all that trouble to attack someone in their own home and make an example of them is still a thug. It doesn't matter how well planned out it was or if he worked out who he was, a thug is a thug.

#3 Posted by entropy_aegis (15312 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lasiurus said:

Alright, I'll try to be as clear as possible with this. Bane is often said to be a brilliant tactician. I don't really get that, because when he beat Batman during the Knightfall it was basically wait for him to get worn down and then jump him. If that's the mark of a genius, then I suppose we can start handing out PhD's to gang bangers that go around and do the exact same thing. "Alright guys! You jumped an honest hardworking man when he was tired from a hard day of work!"

What I don't understand however, is this; If Bane on venom was too much of a coward/too smart to fight Batman head on, then how come without venom he's considered an equal match and their fights end in draws? Despite having nowhere near the training, martial arts level etc, and no longer having enhanced strength from Venom?

Batman and Bane have never fought with Bane on venom,it is completely impossible to determine who'd win in such an encounter but history and logic go in Bane's favor should they face each other in such circumstances.Bane just trained really hard,he read books,trained with the inmates and fought them throughout his life.He is not as skilled or as fast as Batman but he's stronger,more resilient and equally determined.@Skewer said:

@Lasiurus: I couldn't have said it better myself. The main criticism against most animated portrayals is that they depict him as a thug but if you were to have an objective mind and really think about it someone who goes through all that trouble to attack someone in their own home and make an example of them is still a thug. It doesn't matter how well planned out it was or if he worked out who he was, a thug is a thug.

He did'nt need venom when he broke Bruce's back,that was just a plot device which resulted in his defeat at the hands of JPV.I think it's safe to say that Bane,Bird,Zombie and Trogg could have taken him down together in that gym but they needed a story.

And based on your logic every villain who does'nt fight fairly is a thug.

#4 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

its all in the story, the story decides who wins....

#5 Edited by BatWatch (2721 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that Bane's feat of breaking Batman is a bit overblown. Like you said, he just wore him down and then broke him. Even Black Mask could nearly beat Bruce in such a conflict as evidenced by War Games. Still, destroying Arkham's walls, evading detection, understanding Bruce's unrelenting psyche, and uncovering the identity of the Bat is not a small accomplishment.

For more news, reviews, and commentary for the entire Bat Family, check out BatWatch.net.

#6 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

My problem with bane is that he is a one off villain, once he broke the bat they didn't find anything new to do with him. Sure there was the story with him finding his father, but once that was done that was pretty much it. Many people complain about the cartoon dipictions of him but to me they made more sense with why he wants to break the bat compared to knightfall. The reason in vengence of bane was so ridiculous, It looked like it was thrown in at the last minute and makes absolutely no sense. In batman the animated series and the batman he was a hired assasin who got beaten and wants revenge and in the dark knight rises he was a member of the league of shadows. In the comics, he had nightmares about a bat and heard a voice tell him that in order to be the best he must conquer fear by breaking a bat.

#7 Posted by RumbleMan_Exe (1543 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skewer: after he lost the 'fear' by breaking the bat it went downhill from there

#8 Posted by entropy_aegis (15312 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skewer said:

My problem with bane is that he is a one off villain, once he broke the bat they didn't find anything new to do with him. Sure there was the story with him finding his father, but once that was done that was pretty much it. Many people complain about the cartoon dipictions of him but to me they made more sense with why he wants to break the bat compared to knightfall. The reason in vengence of bane was so ridiculous, It looked like it was thrown in at the last minute and makes absolutely no sense. In batman the animated series and the batman he was a hired assasin who got beaten and wants revenge and in the dark knight rises he was a member of the league of shadows. In the comics, he had nightmares about a bat and heard a voice tell him that in order to be the best he must conquer fear by breaking a bat.

What's Secret Six then? I agree with you on motivation though but then it's still leagues ahead of a good deal of Batman foes.

#9 Posted by BigCimmerian (8305 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they will change Bane from the one we've seen in Batman Dark Knight.

#10 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

He can be done in many ways... Its up to the storytellers imo

#11 Edited by JoeEddie (484 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

He can be done in many ways... Its up to the storytellers imo

But, he should only be written one way. The way he was written in Vengeance of Bane and Knightfall. Writers don't know what to do with Bane so they just write him as some goon with big muscles.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.