Anyone else disappointed with Batman #0

#1 Posted by JoeEddie (484 posts) - - Show Bio

I went into the issue expecting to learn a lot about how Bruce became Batman. Instead all of the issue did was set up a future story with the Red Hood Gang.

There was no information about how he created his gadgets, no explanation of the mask he wore during the bank robbery, or how a secret door in the sewers leads to his new home in crime alley. Also, it was mentioned that Bruce was only gone from Gotham for 4 years. This really surprised me because I assumed it was significantly longer than that. It only took 4 years for the New 52 version of Bruce to become Batman?

#2 Posted by SickBoy2212 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

i got my hands on it (and a the rest of the bats comics) today, i was frankly not amazed, i wasn't expecting something on the scale of year 1, but it just wasn't the ''prequel'' i was expecting. Like you said, it served mostly as a way to foreshadow the red hood gang's introduction in the future.

#3 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn't horrible and I preferred the backup story as opposed to the main one even if was a setup for the next storyline.

#4 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed it, particularly the second part. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the story, I like the RH gang. The time scale thing is stupid, but I'll just ignore that.

#5 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed the story. It didn't delve too much into Bruce's beginnings as Batman because Year One is still cannon. Though I believe the time frame for it has probably been reduced. I'm ok with the 0 issue being used to set up the next arc, as I feel like it isn't necessary to delve back on Batman's past when not much has been changed with his continuity (aside from jamming it all into 5-6 years). I'm really looking forward to Joker's return next month. So far Snyder has kept me entertained each month with Batman, which is exactly what I'm looking for

#6 Posted by SupBatz (1855 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely disappointed as well. I don't care in the slightest bit about the timeframe (ignoring it makes life easier). Just the issue itself failed to impress me. Not a big fan of Snyder messing with Joker's past. I, personally, feel it works best when it's completely shrowded in mystery. But I could ignor that if the issue impressed me in some other regard.

The backup was pretty good. I wasn't a huge fan of how Tim and Jason were written but the ending was really great.

#7 Edited by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it, but I would have loved it if we actually saw Batman. I didn't mind the Bruce Wayne stuff, and I thought the motorcycle and the batarang were cool, but I really wanted to see Batman prowling around at night in an earlier version of his costume. Contrary to seemingly everyone else's opinion, I disliked the substory about the Robins. I felt like it was just a filler for those complaining about continuity. Personally, I don't see the problem with continuity. All I care about is the story, not that there is some perfectly constructed history to the characters. Furthermore, I didn't see why the Robin backstory was in Batman! Why not in Batman and Robin, or Nightwing, or some other book?! As soon as I realized Greg Capullo was no longer drawing, I felt like putting the book down.

Kind of a rant, but seriously, no actual sighting of Batman in the origin of Batman, in the comic book named, "Batman"?

Edit: I just wanted to add that the biggest reason I'm disappointed is because now I have to wait another month to see Greg Capullo's art. Already I was hungry for more after being stuck with Batman #12 , and now I'm practically starved just to see new Batman art by Greg Capullo. I think I have an addiction.

#8 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it, and it was announced that he wasn't going to dress up in a bat suit at least a month before the issue came out

#9 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: Now I feel like a fool. Dang nabbit

#10 Posted by Batnandez (511 posts) - - Show Bio

but but it's Scott Snyder and he's so awesome, (sarcasm)

#11 Posted by PRECOCIOUSnefarious (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like that the main story was a lead in rather than being self contained, Enjoyable and interesting none the less. Obviously the timeline is wacky but suspending your beliefs and reading comic books shouldn't be a novel concept to anyone posting here.

#12 Posted by vernierhawk001 (539 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a question to those who have already read it: this substory essentially makes the three Robins about the same age, right? That's what the artwork looked like......

#13 Posted by SoA (5259 posts) - - Show Bio

how many times do u need a bruce wayne origin? who cares how exactly he made gadgets? i liked it for what it was and the robins mini was cool too

#14 Posted by Joelislegend (213 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously everyone is in love with Scott Snyder but let's look at what he's been up too.

Night of the Owls was cool... and then it ended super quickly in like 2 issues with no real conclusion. Seriously the conclusion sucked! In 2 pages the entire court had been poisoned, Batman said like OMG WTF FUR REALZ? And then he fought the mega owl (trying to avoid spoilers haha.) Basically the court of owls arc ended in me going WTF???

Batman 12 was a crappy filler that didn't explain anything.

Batman 0 had absolutely nothing going on. 5 pages of Red Hood gang and 10 pages of Gordon smoking. Seriously the best Snyder has got is a batarang stuck to a wall for 5 pages?????????????????

I hope the Joker storyline won't be horrible but I think Snyder is starting to be a little overrated.

#15 Posted by SickBoy2212 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joelislegend: meh. i wasn't that dissatisfied with the ending, after all there's still some talons left and Thomas Wayne Jr as Owlman, i think we haven't seen the last of the court.

#16 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

i think its great.

#17 Posted by TDK_1997 (15123 posts) - - Show Bio

The issue was great and hold a lot of interesting stuff about the past of Bruce Wayne.

#18 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a great issue.

#19 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought was a really good issue,

Did it gave me new info? NO

Did the timeline have some sense? NEITHER

Was a good story? HELL YEAH!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.