Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Anybody sick of the crossovers?

gotham-nudist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gotham-nudist

Just found out that there is going to be a "death of the family" story with the return of the Joker. Just like "nite of the owls", DC is doing a mega crossover.....again. To me this is more watered down Batman family nonsense in order for DC to make $$$$$$. needless to say, I wont be collecting the story due to personal budget constraints. Im happy collecting batman, detective,batman & robin, and dark knight only. Im getting fed up of all the crossovers and cant afford to buy multiple issues of nightwing, catwoman, batgirl,suicide squad,red hood, teen titans, just to keep up with the damn story. Any body else?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

it's not a "mega crossover" just a crossover...most chances are you won't even need to pick up books outside of Batman anyway

and nope....I'm definitely not sick of them....Night of the Owls was fantastic and the first issue of the Death of the Family arc in Batman #13 was amazing so I have high hopes for the rest of the arc

gotham-nudist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gotham-nudist

Just gave DCCOMICS.com some negative feedback concerning this. I guess I will miss out on big storylines in the future, because I will not fork out big bucks for crossovers. At $3-4 a book, it adds up really quick.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#4  Edited By Joygirl

Yeah, I hate crossovers as a general rule. I understand why they do them (ZOMG MOAR MUNNIEZ) but I wish they could keep a storyline to its respective title and MY CHAIR KEEPS WIGGLING $#@%^&**%#CRAPPIT.

GillaDro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GillaDro

@danhimself said:

it's not a "mega crossover" just a crossover...most chances are you won't even need to pick up books outside of Batman anyway

and nope....I'm definitely not sick of them....Night of the Owls was fantastic and the first issue of the Death of the Family arc in Batman #13 was amazing so I have high hopes for the rest of the arc

this

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By reignmaker

@gotham-nudist said:

more watered down Batman family nonsense in order for DC to make $$$$$$. needless to say, I wont be collecting the story due to personal budget constraints. Im happy collecting batman, detective,batman & robin, and dark knight only.

LOL. You're really putting your foot down, ain't ya? If you're regularly collecting four Batman books, you'll still get more of the story than me.

I only collect Batman on a monthly basis. For this event I might pick up Nightwing and Batgirl. I'm ok with the format for these crossovers. The extra reading is optional.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By gotwillpower

@gotham-nudist said:

Just gave DCCOMICS.com some negative feedback concerning this. I guess I will miss out on big storylines in the future, because I will not fork out big bucks for crossovers. At $3-4 a book, it adds up really quick.

Maybe you'll miss the Batgirl, Nightwing, or Red Hood stories, but last I remembered the crossovers were just additions to Batman--not at all essential to the main storyline. I think just buying the ones you listed is more than enough. Personally, I really only buy Batman, and sometimes I get the TPBs of others.

That said, I'm actually interested in purchasing the Death of the Family crossovers. Judging from Batman 13, it looks like they'll be worth it (even if they add nothing to Scott Snyder's stuff).

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Eternal19

I never liked crossovers, it just makes it a requirement to read other books that i didnt want to read in the first place. But, I doubt you'll need to read anything other than batman. the only other crossover batman title im getting is batman and robin

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

Well atn leats isnt Marvel, it looks like those guys want you to buy every single comic so you understand wtf is going on.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By sethysquare

@gotham-nudist said:

Just found out that there is going to be a "death of the family" story with the return of the Joker. Just like "nite of the owls", DC is doing a mega crossover.....again. To me this is more watered down Batman family nonsense in order for DC to make $$$$$$. needless to say, I wont be collecting the story due to personal budget constraints. Im happy collecting batman, detective,batman & robin, and dark knight only. Im getting fed up of all the crossovers and cant afford to buy multiple issues of nightwing, catwoman, batgirl,suicide squad,red hood, teen titans, just to keep up with the damn story. Any body else?

you do know that you dont have to get any other books that you dont want to right? I was perfectly fine skipping a few books. Infact for NOTO you only needed like Batman and.... thats it.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11  Edited By lorex

I don't really like crossovers but in this the way the comic book companies approach the business they are a way of life. Also DC fans I suspect with Marvel likely to get a surge in sales numbers with their MarvelNow! initiative, DC might get a little nervous and launch one of those mega crossovers. Its been a while for DC and I seriously doubt they will be able to resist doing one in thee near future.

BigMaraSpence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BigMaraSpence

I think crossovers are a great idea.... when the intended books don't exceed 3 or 4. Like the crossover H'El on earth for Superman. It's limited to Superman, Supergirl, Superboy. Having to give up an extra $6, but getting the full story is fine.

Now, since the "Bat Family" seems to be creating more offspring than a couple of rabbits, I have a personal issue with it. The completionist in me wants every book for "Death of the Family", but my wallet can't take it. It's hard to support DC when they do things like this, IMO.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Lvenger

@danhimself said:

This although I still haven't read Batman 13 yet. Though I'm sure it's amazing. The good thing about Snyder's crossovers is that you don't need to read the other tie ins to get the full picture. The tie ins are just extra stories to the main meal.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

If you don't pick up these crossovers because you can't afford them, it's a shame because they are REALLY GOOD! DC is crushing Marvel on quality right now.

gotham-nudist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gotham-nudist

Thx for the feedback everybody! Im relieved that I dont have to purchase all the other titles, although if finances permitted, I'd love to pick them up. Looking fwd to batman 13!

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SmashBrawler

Night of the Owls and Death of the Family are fine by me, since the only title you really have to pick up is Batman. I really hate the way they used to make Bat-crossovers though, like Cataclysm or War Games. Probably the worst offender was Bruce Wayne: Murderer? (not so much Fugitive), since many of the tie-in issues only had a few pages that had something to do with the crossover itself. I remember there was a Birds of Prey issue that opened with Blue Beetle fighting Kalibak and my reaction was an understandable "WHAT THE HELL?" since I wasn't reading that series.

JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By JSH92

Yes.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By entropy_aegis

I am,but not because I have to read multiple books to get the whole story(which does'nt even seem to be the case thankfully) but cause they have diluted the Batman line.The greatest ambition of the Batman group is to be a sidekick to whatever Snyder's cooking up.All books are virtually the same in style and tone(excluding INC) making the whole line rather bland and generic.There is no variety or good storytelling,it's like DC wants the B-listers to stay B-list.

Even Tomasi recently stated that he had to cut the "War of the Robins" story by 2 issues to make room for "Death of the Family".Writers should be allowed to do their own thing.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lvenger

@entropy_aegis said:

I am,but not because I have to read multiple books to get the whole story(which does'nt even seem to be the case thankfully) but cause they have diluted the Batman line.The greatest ambition of the Batman group is to be a sidekick to whatever Snyder's cooking up.All books are virtually the same in style and tone(excluding INC) making the whole line rather bland and generic.There is no variety or good storytelling,it's like DC wants the B-listers to stay B-list.

Even Tomasi recently stated that he had to cut the "War of the Robins" story by 2 issues to make room for "Death of the Family".Writers should be allowed to do their own thing.

And how is it Snyder's fault he's coming up with awesome stories one after another? After the 8 issue Born to Kill arc, Batman and Robin has really gone downhill IMO. Tomasi crammed the War of the Robins and the other guys who I just didn't care about into one story when he should have fleshed the War of the Robins story out. Gregg Hurwitz is finally doing a good job on the Dark Knight and Layman is bringing Detective Comics back to glory. Tomasi just needs to improve things on his front which he hasn't done.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#20  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @entropy_aegis said:

They don't HAVE to follow Snyder's story line, like Night of the Owls the writers are asked if they want to opt in or not, most said yes but Batwoman and Batman Inc said no.
    mrtrickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By mrtrickster

crossovers are where the company makes money

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By TDK_1997

As long as they are good I cna't argue.DC can really make good crossovers,not like Marvel.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@entropy_aegis said:

They don't HAVE to follow Snyder's story line, like Night of the Owls the writers are asked if they want to opt in or not, most said yes but Batwoman and Batman Inc said no.

Except that the editorial will make them follow the line,not once did I ever say it was Snyder's fault I blame the entire line up.@Lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

And how is it Snyder's fault he's coming up with awesome stories one after another? After the 8 issue Born to Kill arc, Batman and Robin has really gone downhill IMO. Tomasi crammed the War of the Robins and the other guys who I just didn't care about into one story when he should have fleshed the War of the Robins story out. Gregg Hurwitz is finally doing a good job on the Dark Knight and Layman is bringing Detective Comics back to glory. Tomasi just needs to improve things on his front which he hasn't done.

No doubt Batman and Robin has been crappy since the Nobody storyline ended but still seems pretty dickish to have a guy rush his story just to get some booty from the crossover.Layman's Tec will also join DOTF,and I disagree with Snyder's stories being awesome,I find his Batman work to be mediocre.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lvenger

@entropy_aegis: There's always one isn't there? What is it about his stories you find mediocre? Or have I asked you this before?

britsera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By britsera

I don't really count them as crossovers if they involve one set... like just the Bat Family, or just the GLs, etc, I just think those character run into each other so often that its not really a special event (though DC says it is...).

But I like team books and I like seeing characters interact and push each others buttons. Crossovers are about the best way to get that, so...

DotF WAS pretty early after NoO, but I think they just want to get all the major villains (Joker) up and running in the new continuity.

xtremekidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xtremekidx

this is not as serious as everyone makes it feel like....yeah sure....there is a lot of issues that you need to be able to get the complete picture of what is happening beyond requirement,but think of it in this way...atleast they dont make it mandatory to buy everything in order to understand the story...

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By Suprman

@xtremekidx said:

this is not as serious as everyone makes it feel like....yeah sure....there is a lot of issues that you need to be able to get the complete picture of what is happening beyond requirement,but think of it in this way...atleast they dont make it mandatory to buy everything in order to understand the story...

Very True

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SmashBrawler

@xtremekidx said:

Like they used to. Man, that sucked!

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@SmashBrawler: Yeah Infinite Crisis was hard as hell to read, same thing with Final Crisis.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Eternal19

@entropy_aegis said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Except that the editorial will make them follow the line,not once did I ever say it was Snyder's fault I blame the entire line up.@Lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

No doubt Batman and Robin has been crappy since the Nobody storyline ended but still seems pretty dickish to have a guy rush his story just to get some booty from the crossover.Layman's Tec will also join DOTF,and I disagree with Snyder's stories being awesome,I find his Batman work to be mediocre.

I wasnt the biggest fan of Snyder's work on the Court of Owls but, the newest issue was pretty good

PJammaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By PJammaz

I think that the cross-overs add an interesting dimension to the overall Bat-family story. As long as they do it every issue, I like it.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By daredevil21134

I don't like the fact that its interfering with Red Hood and the outlaws.First with the court of owls(which I could care less about)And now Death of the family.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Lvenger: I like his ideas but I find his execution and narration to be horribly flawed,he spends a lot of time building something via exposition but never actually bothers showing you something that needs to be shown.Look at the Court of Owls,one second they're controlling Gotham for centuries and in the next they decide to unleash a zombie army on Gotham's finest just cause they can(in reality they needed a crossover and that's it).

He builds up this whole Court only for it to die faceless,it makes as much sense as Bane dying moments before he was about to break Batman only for Riddler to appear and reveal that he poisoned Bane's tea followed by a jet pack fight.

Even the Hush reveal (which was bad) was much better than this.

The thing with Snyder is that his stories hold promise and are visually spectacular,as far as actual substance is concerned,well there is almost next to none(atleast in Court of Owls).

I did'nt like his Black Mirror arc either but I refrained from criticizing it because there I felt that Snyder was doing a good job,it was just not my cup of tea.In Batman on the other hand,he has thrown out any subtlety and his stories make me think more of cheesy horror than Batman.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Bruxae

I think its awesome if im already reading the crossover titles, but when I feel forced to read a story I dont really have an intrest in to keep up on my current one something's not right.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By John Valentine

Cheap skate.

Avatar image for antarktischer_ureinwohner
    Antarktischer_Ureinwohner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually I like crossovers, I mean of course it sucks that you might have to buy stuff you wouldn't without the crossover, but in return for some extra money you get a much wider spread story with far more characters interacting with each other and a common enemy.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@DeathpooltheT1000: i knew you would be here talking shit about marvel

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38  Edited By RedOwl_1

At least you don't need pick up all tie-in like in Marvel :P

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theTimeStreamer said:

@DeathpooltheT1000: i knew you would be here talking shit about marvel

If you want i cant talk shit about DC in the Spiderman forum

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.