Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

another tired batman pop psychology thread....here, enjoy

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VampireSelektor

OK, I written a few posts arguing that Dick, Batman, and Joker exist in a trinity of morals: Dick represents ultimate good, Joker represents ultimate evil, and Batman operates in the middle as the righteous, flawed man. Other ComicViners have also related the other Robins to Batman thematically, so I'll give my two cents:

Jason Todd represents Batman's anger, fear, and resentment. Jason was the violent Robin who acted on his impulses and put himself above his prey - humans deserving of life. He was also the Robin who feared for his place in the world, the way Batman sought for identity in his formative years. Jason was Robin for four years post-Crisis, maybe a year in the comics before he died, but Batman internalized his essence so strongly that afterwards he nearly turned into the murderer of his origins; in a way, he never left.

Tim Drake represents Batman's logic, calculation. Tim was an equalizer, Dick approved, who helped restore balance to Batman. But as Tim got older, readers gained insight into a colder, clinical version of Bruce, a version where the finesse was replaced by an efficiency that could even factor homicide into a neat little strategy.

Thoughts?

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BatWatch

Good thoughts all around. Perhaps others have discussed this, but I have not heard of it.

I believe what you are talking about is more a personification of archetypes rather than psychology.

In this line of thought, where would Damian fit?

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Eternal19

batman is one of those charecters that you can pull a whole lot of literary junk out of. thats why I like the charecter.

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By VampireSelektor

@PsychoKnights said:

Good thoughts all around. Perhaps others have discussed this, but I have not heard of it.

I believe what you are talking about is more a personification of archetypes rather than psychology.

In this line of thought, where would Damian fit?

You are correct.

Damian is the son of Batman - I'll contemplate this while typing - and Talia. Damian is the sort of child Bruce could have been had his parents never been murdered -spoiled, arrogant. Still, he's the spoiled, arrogant son of a genius detective-crimefighter-scientist and an conqueror-ecoterrorist. Batman has the intelligence and will to be the next Alexander the Great. Talia recognizes this since her father shares those same qualities, and seeks to cultivate their child into just that. Damian desires to be a worthy of the cowl, but does so while knowing of what he is capable of and could be. So, to wrap this yarn up, Damian personifies the marriage of a child Bruce who never lost his parents with the fighting prowess and intellect Batman gained through losing his parents. In a way, The Batman of "Batman" #666 is closer to the original Batman - he's a coldblooded killer.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FatihBATMAN

agreed, good looking into it..

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RedOwl_1

@FatihBATMAN said:

agreed, good looking into it..

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FatihBATMAN

<3 ;D

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VampireSelektor

BUMP

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Rumble Man

@VampireSelektor: can ye do some on the batgirls later?

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VampireSelektor

@Rumble Man: If something comes up, sure. Thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.