Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

And people wonder why there is so much Batman...

• 69 results
    batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By batshrine

So after looking at Diamond comics top 500 comics sold in 2012 here are some interesting observations

Out of the top 10 graphic novels only 2 DC graphic novels were in it, both were Batman

Out of the top 20 comics only 1 DC comic was in the top, and you guessed it it was Batman

In fact Batman was in all top selling comics for DC until number 58.

Top 20 of all DC comics made up up just Batman and Justice League (both had Batman in it)

Out of Dc's Top 100, Batman was in 76% of those comics

I did however include some DotF tie ins which didn't actually have Batman in it but they only made up 6% of the list...which still puts Batman at 70%

Something else to notice many of the other comics that didn't have Batman that made the list were numbers 5 and 6 which means they were still coming down from the New 52 launch, the only exceptions being Green Lantern and Action Comics.

So if people are still curious why DC has so many Batman books, why they are constantly launching new Batman shows, why DCUAOM feature Batman over a third of the time, or why he appears in other titles, well its simply because he SELLS!!!

And if people are curious I compiled the list, bolding anything that didn't have Batman and italicizing the DotF tie ins that also didn't have Batman

1. BATMAN #13
    2. JUSTICE LEAGUE #12
    3. BATMAN #14
    4. BATMAN #0
    5. BATMAN #15
    6. BATMAN #5
    7. JUSTICE LEAGUE #5
    8. JUSTICE LEAGUE #6
    9. BATMAN #8
    10. BATMAN #9
    11. JUSTICE LEAGUE #7
    12. BATMAN #6
    13. BATMAN #10
    14. BATMAN #7
    15. BATMAN #11
    16. JUSTICE LEAGUE #9
    17. JUSTICE LEAGUE #8
    18. JUSTICE LEAGUE #10
    19. JUSTICE LEAGUE #0
    20. JUSTICE LEAGUE #11
    21. BATMAN #12
    22. JUSTICE LEAGUE #13
    23. JUSTICE LEAGUE #15
    24. JUSTICE LEAGUE #14
    25. BATMAN ANNUAL #1
    26. ACTION COMICS #5
    27. DETECTIVE COMICS #15
    28. EARTH 2 #1
    29. DETECTIVE COMICS #5
    30. GREEN LANTERN #5
    31. BATMAN INCORPORATED #1
    32. DETECTIVE COMICS #9
    33. ACTION COMICS #6
    34. DETECTIVE COMICS #6
    35. GREEN LANTERN #6
    36. ACTION COMICS #7
    37. GREEN LANTERN #7
    38. DETECTIVE COMICS #7
    39. GREEN LANTERN #13
    40. GREEN LANTERN #0
    41. GREEN LANTERN #8
    42. BATMAN AND ROBIN #15
    43. DETECTIVE COMICS #8
    44. ACTION COMICS #9
    45. GREEN LANTERN #9
    46. ACTION COMICS #8
    47. DETECTIVE COMICS #0
    48. EARTH 2 #2
    49. BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #9
    50. BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #5
    51. DETECTIVE COMICS #10
    52. BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #6
    53. GREEN LANTERN #10
    54. BATGIRL #14
    55. GREEN LANTERN #11
    56. ACTION COMICS #0
    57. BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #7
    58. DETECTIVE COMICS #11
    59. GREEN LANTERN #14
    60. ACTION COMICS #10
    61. BATMAN AND ROBIN #9
    62. GREEN LANTERN #12
    63. ACTION COMICS #11
    64. GREEN LANTERN ANNUAL #1
    65. DETECTIVE COMICS #13
    66. AQUAMAN #15
    67. EARTH 2 #3
    68. BATMAN AND ROBIN #5
    69. BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #8
    70. BATMAN INCORPORATED #2
    71. BATMAN AND ROBIN #14
    72. BATGIRL #15
    73. DETECTIVE COMICS #12
    74. DETECTIVE COMICS #14
    75. NIGHTWING #15
    76. GREEN LANTERN #15
    77. FLASH #5
    78. BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #10
    79. SUPERMAN #5
    80. BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #0
    81. BATGIRL #13
    82. SUPERMAN #6
    83. ACTION COMICS #12
    84. BATMAN AND ROBIN #6
    85. BATMAN AND ROBIN #0
    86. EARTH 2 #0
    87. BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #11
    88. BATMAN AND ROBIN #10
    89. FLASH #6
    90. BATMAN AND ROBIN #7
    91. SUICIDE SQUAD #14
    92. SUPERMAN #7
    93. EARTH 2 #4
    94. TEEN TITANS #15
    95. BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #12
    96. BATMAN AND ROBIN #8
    97. BATMAN AND ROBIN #11
    98. AQUAMAN #5
    99. ACTION COMICS #13
    100. WORLDS FINEST #1
    JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By JLDoom

@batshrine said:

So if people are still curious why DC has so many Batman books, why they are constantly launching new Batman shows, why DCUAOM feature Batman over a third of the time, or why he appears in other titles, well its simply because he SELLS!!!

I'm pretty sure we all knew this already

And it doesnt excuse it, DC has a lot of other great characters that have nothing to do with Batman

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By batshrine

@JLDoom: Looking at this, not even Bat Family books are up there compared to Batman. And I think DC is doing a fine job spotlighting other characters if they only have 3 Batman solo books, and 2 Batman group books. You mustn't forget it's a business.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JLDoom

@batshrine: Batman's group has like 15 titles (more than 10 anyway). This isn't only about Batman, it's about the fact that Batman himself, his supporting cast and villains always seem to have some kind of preference (look at Injustice, Batman has like 6 characters already in!)

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By batshrine

@JLDoom: I was just showing how epic Batman is, plus on the list none of the Batman Family, Superman Family, or Green Lantern family comics made the top 100 comics.

But if you want me to get into it, Batman and Superman rogues (shortly followed by Flash rogues) are the most popular and for good reason. All of Batman's characters allies and rogues are VERY interesting. Superman and Flash rogues simply because they need to be powerful enough to go toe to toe with Supes and the Flash. But from motivation, to crimes, to how they do things, to their relationships, Batman characters are also very real. Sure you don't have the drive to prove your the smartest like the Riddler, nor emotionless due to loss of a loved one like Mr. Freeze, or feel betrayed from your closest friends like Two-Face. Wait a minute...those are all very real emotions! I've said it before Batman characters are the most relatable, and it may frustrate you but thats just the nature of it. I mean it is kind of hard to get someone to save the world or try to destroy it without good enough motivation, otherwise they get boring...And if I was developing a game that I want people to buy, I would use very popular characters and slide in a few unpopular ones to try to boost their popularity. I think the Young Justice and Justice League tv shows did a great job of doing that, and what the JLA comic is trying to do. So it isn't unwise for DC to pump in Batman characters to boost the popularity of other characters.

Oh and to add to your list, lets not forget all of the rogues so far from Arrow are Batman rogues (except for Deathstroke which is more of a Dick Grayson/Teen Titan rogue which by extension makes him a...BATMAN ROGUE!!!) :-P.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JLDoom

@batshrine: So the DC universe is transformed into the "Batman & friends" universe? No thanks

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Twentyfive

@JLDoom said:

@batshrine: So the DC universe is transformed into the "Batman & friends" universe? No thanks

I like you already!

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Stormbox

Wasnt this kind of obvious?

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FatihBATMAN

More Batman! Lets go!

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By batshrine

@JLDoom: I don't mean to sound snooty at all but they don't need to name DC Batman & Friends, well cause its worse than you think, or did you forget what DC actually stands for?

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JLDoom

@batshrine: I dont even know what you're trying to tell me now

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By joshmightbe

Sales don't always equal quality, If it did then Nickleback wouldn't exist.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By batshrine

@JLDoom: So before DC comics became DC comics it was known as National Allied Publications. But then they created Batman and he became a huge hit! So popular in fact they changed their name after the comic that features Batman. And if you haven't gotten it, yes DC comes from Detective Comics. So while you were joking about naming DC Comics "Batman & Friends" its worse than you think, its named directly off of Batman.

@joshmightbe: Normally you are correct, but DC has been getting their best writers, directors, producers, and pencilers on Batman. I mean there isn't a single top 2012 comics list that hasn't put either Snyder's Batman or J.H. Willaims' Batwoman. And after the creative switch ups, you also have A teams on Detective Comics and Batman: Dark Knight. And I am not going even defend Morrison as an A lister, the guy has his own con...

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JLDoom

@batshrine: So what, are you trying to tell me that Batman is the best character ever or something? Ugh, its fanboys like this that make me dislike Batman sometimes

And no, I wasnt joking about renaming DC, I was saying that your idea would practically make DC "Batman & friends" because apparently no character outside of Batman (and his supporting cast and villains) is good enough to stand on its own

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By batshrine

@JLDoom: No not at all, I was just pointing out the irony in your joke. The whole point of my blog post was to refute all the threads that constantly say "why is batman everywhere" or "why are there so many Batman books". This is why, people like him, and he sells.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @batshrine: the only reason Batman rogues are more interesting is because more effort gets put in to developing them 
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @batshrine: also Detective Comics wasn't always a Batman or even a Batman related comic
    Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Squalleon

@batshrine said:

@JLDoom: So before DC comics became DC comics it was known as National Allied Publications. But then they created Batman and he became a huge hit! So popular in fact they changed their name after the comic that features Batman. And if you haven't gotten it, yes DC comes from Detective Comics. So while you were joking about naming DC Comics "Batman & Friends" its worse than you think, its named directly off of Batman.

Educate yourself a little before you throw such testaments around!

Its true that DC means detective comics but not because of batman,it was named after Detective Comics Inc.!And until the early 70s superman was the highest selling superhero of DC!Batman was almost near cancelling,the only reason he survived was the Batman show with Adam West!

EDIT:Also as you may know Superman was the first Superhero and his success was so great that could overshadow the success of the beatles(i know that they weren't in the same era i just make a point).

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SandMan_
    @JLDoom said:

HAHA! Burn!
    Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Squalleon

@batshrine said:

@JLDoom:Oh and to add to your list, lets not forget all of the rogues so far from Arrow are Batman rogues (except for Deathstroke which is more of a Dick Grayson/Teen Titan rogue which by extension makes him a...BATMAN ROGUE!!!) :-P.

I am usually a very gentle guy but in your case..........................your stupidity overwhelms me!*sigh*

I won't even try to make a rational convertation!

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By darkman61288

Batman is the best selling DC character because he best represents what most people value today. He is a character who overcame a personal tragedy to accomplish great things. He uses his wealth, cunning,resources and will to accomplish a greater good. He does what every person who lost a loved one wishes they would do. And he does this all and risks himself.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By joshmightbe

Everyone knows who the real greatest comic character ever is

No Caption Provided

Mr. Immortal

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By batshrine

@Squalleon: That Deathstroke comment was actually simply using JLDoom's logic because my thread was just looking at Batman and he brought in all Bat family, and so using his family any extension of the bat family is also related to Batman. I don't actually think Deathstroke is a batman villain, hence why I made him the exception.

@Jonny_Anonymous: And I wouldn't insult any of the writers or artists who work on characters that aren't Batman. Its hard to create a good character, I mean even in all the Bat titles which of the new villains in DCnU were actually that good... So I wouldn't say more effort is put on Batman, however better writers are...

And to the both of you, yes I am aware Detective Comics featured many characters or else Batman would have debuted in Detective Comics #1 instead of #27, and I am also aware Detective Comics produced many other great characters like Martian Manhunter. However my point still remains the same in pointing out the irony of how the company should be called "Batman & Friends" when it almost is.

Now was that to irrational of a response? So please don't try to insult me as I have not insulted anyone on here

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Squalleon

@batshrine said:

Now was that to irrational of a response? So please don't try to insult me as I have not insulted anyone on here

You bring out the worst in me!

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Eternal19

Batman is the most popular right now because of the movies and the writers any character with a movie will get a boost in popularity. Just look at green lantern his books got more popular when johns started writing them and they got a little boost when the movie came out. Just because a character is more popular doesnt make them a better character.

Just because Superman sells better than Flash does that make superman a better character no it doesnt. If DC chose to pump up the flash instead of superman the flash would be more popular.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Squalleon said:

@batshrine said:

@JLDoom:Oh and to add to your list, lets not forget all of the rogues so far from Arrow are Batman rogues (except for Deathstroke which is more of a Dick Grayson/Teen Titan rogue which by extension makes him a...BATMAN ROGUE!!!) :-P.

I am usually a very gentle guy but in your case..........................your stupidity overwhelms me!*sigh*

I won't even try to make a rational convertation!

I dont consider either him or Prometheus as Batman villains for the same reason I dont consider Darkseid a Superman villain but DS own creators did refer to him as their anti-Batman

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@batshrine: the only reason Batman rogues are more interesting is because more effort gets put in to developing them

This is a hilariously misinformed statement,name one recurring Batrouge outside of the Joker who's had a defining story in the last 10 years? NONE.Brainiac,Sinestro,Zod,the Zooms,Rogues,Black Adam,Luthor etc have had many of those in the same period.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#27  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @joshmightbe said:

Neither would Marvel. Or DC (as of the New 52).
    gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By gotwillpower

"Batshrine" ftw! I don't care for any DC books besides Batman.

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Joelislegend

@Eternal19 said:

Batman is the most popular right now because of the movies and the writers any character with a movie will get a boost in popularity. Just look at green lantern his books got more popular when johns started writing them and they got a little boost when the movie came out. Just because a character is more popular doesnt make them a better character.

Just because Superman sells better than Flash does that make superman a better character no it doesnt. If DC chose to pump up the flash instead of superman the flash would be more popular.

On the contrary I think they made the movie because he was so popular. I doubt there will be a huge rise in sales of Superman comics next year especially with the crappy writing team. Morrison pretty much sold Action Comics and now he's leaving and Superman is at their 3rd writing team already.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FatihBATMAN

When I think DC Comics I primarily think Batman and Superman... Ill throw Justice League in there also....BUT primarily Batman...It sounds maybe a little egotistical, but I hope I dont offend anyone, in saying that I almost only care about Batman comics... buuuut, with that said, im startig to get into Justice League now.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to repeat the question, wasn't this already common knowledge? Didn't we all already know that Batman sold well?

@batshrine said:

@JLDoom: I was just showing how epic Batman is, plus on the list none of the Batman Family, Superman Family, or Green Lantern family comics made the top 100 comics.

But if you want me to get into it, Batman and Superman rogues (shortly followed by Flash rogues) are the most popular and for good reason. All of Batman's characters allies and rogues are VERY interesting.

Well that's simply personal opinion. And the idea that Batman's a better character is also personal opinion. As others have pointed out he may sell the highest right now, but it certainly wasn't always that way. And the amount of work put into building a franchise does directly correlate with how popular it'd be. So yeah they focus on Batman because he's popular, but he's also as popular as he is because they've chosen to focus on him as much as they have. Movies, TV Shows, Video games

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Eternal19

@Joelislegend said:

@Eternal19 said:

On the contrary I think they made the movie because he was so popular. I doubt there will be a huge rise in sales of Superman comics next year especially with the crappy writing team. Morrison pretty much sold Action Comics and now he's leaving and Superman is at their 3rd writing team already.

After they made the movie he got more popular, his books werent selling this good before the Nolan movies came out. Im pretty sure sales will rise especially since DC is putting Scott Snyder and Jim Lee on a new superman book and when Lobdell started writing superman sales increased. Morrison leaving might hurt sales for Action Comics, But if Andy Diggle does a good job on his first couple of issues people will start coming back. If the new movie is good Superman sales will definitly increase.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FatihBATMAN

agreed

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @entropy_aegis said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@batshrine: the only reason Batman rogues are more interesting is because more effort gets put in to developing them

This is a hilariously misinformed statement,name one recurring Batrouge outside of the Joker who's had a defining story in the last 10 years? NONE.Brainiac,Sinestro,Zod,the Zooms,Rogues,Black Adam,Luthor etc have had many of those in the same period.

so you are agreeing that that all of Batmans rogues are far deeper than everybody else's? Sorry but I'm not accepting that, especially not from you. 
    Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Squalleon

@Joelislegend said:

Examples that movies and series make Comics more popular :

• Avengers!
    • The Adam West Batman tv show(batman sales plummed before this show)
    • Supeman 1 (in the 70s Superman was at his worst until this movie came)
    • Tim Burton's Batman (The comic even got a costume change to look more like the movie)

Were that examples enough?

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#36  Edited By BatWatch

Good work, BatShrine. People love Bats. @Jonny_Anonymous said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

so you are agreeing that that all of Batmans rogues are far deeper than everybody else's? Sorry but I'm not accepting that, especially not from you.

Hush had a defining story. That's all that comes to mind. @Squalleon said:

@Joelislegend said:

• Avengers!
    • Tim Burton's Batman (The comic even got a costume change to look more like the movie)

Squalleon is right. Movies clearly increase comic buying, but it is also true that few of them will be retained if the writing is not solid.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MrShway88

@joshmightbe said:

I love you for this comment

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By batshrine

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

so you are agreeing that that all of Batmans rogues are far deeper than everybody else's? Sorry but I'm not accepting that, especially not from you.

Then explain to me why Batman, Superman, and Flash have the most prominent rogues?!? Everyone else seems to have their arch nemesis (WW and Cheetah, GL and Sinestro, Shazam and Black Adam) but beyond that its hard to think of any other prominent rogues. I mean Nightwing has been his own character for pretty much 2 decades, and name how many prominent rogues he has?!?!

So my argument rests that Superman and Flash are the two most powerful characters so therefore you need powerful rogues to balance them and power if written correctly can be interesting (it can also be boring). And we can all acknowledge that Batman pretty much goes up against super powerful villains mostly in team books otherwise it wouldn't fit the dark detective thing with Gotham, and writers went a different route and made his villains dark and mysterious and well to go with the theme "crazy".

And I wouldn't call any writer putting in more effort than the next, I mean people are trying hard to bring up Green Arrow (yet for some weird reason they still can't create good enough rogues for him other than Count Vertigo) and many other characters.

And looking at DC's top 100 you don't see a primary interest in any other characters but Batman, Superman, and GL (with some wavering interest in Aquaman and Flash). Superman only appears via Action Comics so its safe to say its a combination of Superman and Morrison. So its just interesting how regardless of what story if Batman is in the title (and I am not talking Bat Family, purely Batman) then people will buy it. I am honestly proud that Batman made it from being an almost canceled book in the 50's and 60's (and for good reason cause comics code was totally ruining the Batman books not allowing ANY substance) to the top dog today.

OH and in the case of 2012 especially more near the end I would definitely say sure sales don't necessarily equal quality but if you look at the sales, the best batman books sold the most, and currently ALL the batman books are at the top of their game. So right now ya quality and quantity are working together.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BatWatch said:

Good work, BatShrine. People love Bats. @Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Squalleon said:

@Joelislegend said:

• Avengers!

Squalleon is right. Movies clearly increase comic buying, but it is also true that few of them will be retained if the writing is not solid.

I think the most blatant example is Iron Man. The character wasn't doing nearly as well until Robery Downey Jr. stepped onto the screen and blew people away.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

and Like I said only a few Batrgoues have had decent stories in the last few years so you are wrong@BatWatch: I think the Jury is still out on Hush,one more story would eventually make or break the character,Nyssa Raatko was a dud,Dr Hurt was more of a plot device and I dont have much hopes from Snyders Owlman(Hush 2.0).Only Talia may have that proper defining villain story,and I guess Penguin as well as of the new-52.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BlackWind

@JLDoom said:

What are you talking about? There is no DC. Only Batman and Sometimes Superman Comics. Just as the universe intended.

/sarcasm

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BatWatch

@Nathaniel_Christopher:

I've never been able to get into Iron Man. The first movie and The Avegners was cool, but beyond that, he just didn't appeal to me. I tried reading the Iron Man comics after seeing the movie, and it could not retain my interest. I haven't analyzed it very deeply since I am a DC guy and don't encounter him too much, but the ego and the suit don't make for a winning combination in my eyes.

@entropy_aegis said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

and Like I said only a few Batrgoues have had decent stories in the last few years so you are wrong@BatWatch: I think the Jury is still out on Hush,one more story would eventually make or break the character,Nyssa Raatko was a dud,Dr Hurt was more of a plot device and I dont have much hopes from Snyders Owlman(Hush 2.0).Only Talia may have that proper defining villain story,and I guess Penguin as well as of the new-52.

What do you mean by Owlman being Hush 2.0? By the way, I do agree with you that there has been a lack of great villain stories of recent.

I don't think you can deny that Hush was a defining Hush story. The quality you can defend, but it established Tommy firmly in Bruce's gallery. He might slip with time, but he is there at the moment. Also, you have the whole stealing of identities thing.

You know who was a good villain? Nobody. Granted, he is dead, but his story was pretty defining.

For more news, reviews and commentary, check out BatWatch.net

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By entropy_aegis

@BatWatch: I left out Nobody for precisely that reason and I guess you are correct about Hush,Owlman is like Hush in the sense that he blames Bruce for something that Bruce did not even do,they were both show horned in to Batman's past with no build up or development,they were both part of year long Bat "epics" etc

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mega_spidey01

batman is the DC's favorite hero.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BatWatch said:

@Nathaniel_Christopher:

I've never been able to get into Iron Man. The first movie and The Avegners was cool, but beyond that, he just didn't appeal to me. I tried reading the Iron Man comics after seeing the movie, and it could not retain my interest. I haven't analyzed it very deeply since I am a DC guy and don't encounter him too much, but the ego and the suit don't make for a winning combination in my eyes.

*shrug* To each his own of course. I like heroes all across the spectrum and manage to find likable things about all of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batshrine:

I guess the Bat-family must rake in the doe, this is not even counting the non-new 52 comics like Earth-1, WW appears in 2 comics and Wondergirl in 1, I'm not counting earth-2 yet. Funny part is WW gets an E-1 comic but so does Nightwing.

Batman (& family)

1. Batman
    2. Batman The Dark Knight
    3. Batman and Robin
    4. Batman Incorporated
    5. Detective Comics

Bat Family

1. Catwomen
    2. Batwomen
    3. Batgirl
    4. Batwing
    5. Nightwing
    6. Talon - spawned from Batman and family crossover event

Teams with Bat family

1. Justice League (Batman) - to be fair has main top heroes incl. WW
    2. Justice League International (Batman, Batwing) - cancelled recently
    3. Teen Titans (Red Robin) - to be fair has Junior versions of some of the main top heroes incl. WG
    4. Redhood and the Outlaws (Redhood)
    5. World's Finest - also has power girl (basically an interaction of a Superman/Batman series)
    6. Birds of Prey (various) - tempted to say Bat family

1-4 pretty much have a Bat family member leading around the team with a Superman-type character, '5' is more of a partnership

Here is a post I made a while ago. Let me know if I'm missing some.

Here are some series performance details.

http://comicbookrevolution.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=58&Itemid=82

The thing is Batman is in the All-star list with JLA but his other main comics are in mid range (there are no dc titles in high range listed here, but it does not appear complete as I can't find aquaman) so it you are right Batman sells. It pretty much means his 5 main comics could be in DC's top 10 series but at least top 15 for sure.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By batshrine

@drgnx: As shown by my list yes his 5 main comics are in DC's top 10.

And your list is almost complete but the new JLA has Catwoman so by extension Bat Family. And idk how extended you want to go but Suicide Squad has Harley.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BatWatch

@entropy_aegis said:

@BatWatch: I left out Nobody for precisely that reason and I guess you are correct about Hush,Owlman is like Hush in the sense that he blames Bruce for something that Bruce did not even do,they were both show horned in to Batman's past with no build up or development,they were both part of year long Bat "epics" etc

Yeah, well you never know. His body might be hit by a magic anti-fingers in brain ray and come back to life.

Is this the same Owlman that appeared in Outsiders or s Owlman the name of the guy at the end of Court of Owls?

@Nathaniel_Christopher said:

@BatWatch said:

@Nathaniel_Christopher:

*shrug* To each his own of course. I like heroes all across the spectrum and manage to find likable things about all of them.

I'm a bit more picky. Hal Jordan is another one I just never managed to like. Same thing with Wonder Woman though the snippets I have seen from her current series look really interesting.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By batshrine

@BatWatch: Amen, I'm shocked that Hal has any fans...Kyle all the way!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By entropy_aegis

@BatWatch:Lincoln March.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.