Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23619 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder is a Parody?

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

It haves all the worst aspects of modern comic books.

Poor writting.

Characted Derailment (Characters dont do things, as they should and do thing that make no sense).

Super Ultra Hiper Dark.

Dramatic change of concept.

Flanderisation (When a character is a cartoon of what he used to be, like Ned Flanders and Sheldon).

Punisherisation (Look how many characters today, are acting more and more like the Punisher)

"Bad Words"

Running the Asylum (This is famous thank to Tv Tropes, but it was always used as an example, of when crazy fans take control)

Clones (Face it, how many Batclones we have in other comic books?)

Sex Sells Crappynes.

Backwards Character Development (Batman act as Golden age Batman, so he is going back, not foward)

I mean, or Frank Miller is to damn insane and suck so hard to the point it will make a black hole of crappyness.

Or he is making fun of modern comic books.

I mean is not a secret that since Watchmen comic book are getting so dark, that Charles Bronson movies look like Disney Cartoons.

Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Hunter114

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

I mean, or Frank Miller is to damn insane and suck so hard to the point it will make a black hole of crappyness.

I'm gonna go with this one... some of his work is good, don't get me wrong, but then you get the creepy stuff like this, gotta say that the artwork is beautiful and Jim Lee is one of my favorite artists, but it's completely wasted on the story.

I think of this more as an example of how Miller really sees the characters and writing as fan service to himself, as opposed to making any kind of political satirisation or parody, though he does include some parodies of things sometimes.

DarkChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By DarkChris

I agree with most of your points but:

1) the use of bad words isn't necessary negative. There are mature series who have them and there's no problem.

2) when a character is back in his roots, if it is done well, it can be a great thing. I mean the living proof is Morrison. Have you read his All Star Superman? It's a tribute to the Silver Age. His Batman run? It's a tribute to the SA, but it is even more related to it. In his latest work, Action Comics, he makes Superman just the way he was in Golden Age. And when he takes over Wonder Woman in 2012, he is intened to take her back in her Golden Age roots.

superbatprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By superbatprime

This is what I think happened...

DC decided to do this All Star thing right?

They had big hopes for it.

So they say to themselves "ok, we better hand off our 2 most legendary characters to 2 of comics most legendary writers and make this EPIC."

So Morrison gets All Star Superman and Miller gets All Star Batman.

Morrison does his thang on Supes and we get a tale that will go down in history as being l'sauce d'awesome.

But!

Unbeknownst to DC, Frank Miller had gone quietly crazy in his old age (was DKSA not warning enough?), now unable to write men who are anything except caricatures of Sin City characters and women who are... well... just look at his Vicki Vale... Look at his Black Canary... Now look at every woman he's ever written.

And in his burgeoning insanity he somehow invents a new genre for All Star Batman... Hardboiled Camp Noir! (Also see the Spirit movie for all new HCN Lite!)

The book (predictably) tanks, the characterization of Batman becomes an internet joke, the much promised final issues never materialize and probably never will (although I'd still like to see that happen for the sake of completeness).

The End.

The old saying you win some, you lose some has never been more perfectly defined than by All Star Superman and Batman lol.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

@Hunter114:@superbatprime: So you belive he finally became Moore, a nut jobe with ideas that he is so big that he is God?, That is why i love Dixon, people could hate him, but at least he is sane and not a nutjob.

@DarkChris: Bad words are ok, but Batman isnt the type of guy that say them, he is ptrtty much the guy that says i am Batman, he dont need to say i am going to fvkc u ap arshole!!!!

And i didnt writte bad word because, the rules say no bad words in this forum.

I know that going back could be a good thing, but only for a time, not all the series, also many people hates this going to the Golden and Silver age thing, i understand that the past is part of the character, but we have to live in this moment, not in the future or past.

I mean Conservatives belive that the 19 century was the Golden Age of Mankind, Liberals belive that the Roman or Greek Empire where the Golden Age of Mankind.

Both of them dont see the bad things, they live in the past and in the future, never in the here and now, and that hurts comic books in this moment.

People should make comic for the here and now, not for the past or the future.

superbatprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By superbatprime

@DeathpooltheT1000: Lawl, yeah you nailed it.

Moore and Miller... We could call it MnMs Syndrome.

Morrison seems to have escaped the curse but he walks a fine line sometimes I think, and his name also begins with an M!

Is only a matter of time before Grant falls?

O.o

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

@superbatprime said:

@DeathpooltheT1000: Lawl, yeah you nailed it.

Moore and Miller... We could call it MnMs Syndrome.

Morrison seems to have escaped the curse but he walks a fine line sometimes I think, and his name also begins with an M!

Is only a matter of time before Grant falls?

O.o

Didnt they have like a hate romance?

I mean, Moore and Miller have a real life feud if remember well.

If i remember well Morrison hates Moore so hard that, he keep himself sane so he never became an Alan Moore.

Man it looks, that Everybody Hates Moore.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Deranged Midget

Frank Miller really messed up with All Star Batman and Robin... The only reason I even got through to the end was because of Jim Lee's gorgeous art.

superbatprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By superbatprime

@DeathpooltheT1000: It's not that people hate Moore per se, I mean he didn't ever really go off the rails like Miller and start writing really poor stuff, I'm hard pressed to think of a Moore story I don't like... I think it's more a case of everybody being sick of Alan moaning all the time whenever anything happens with characters he created.

V for Vendetta for example, I think they did a great job with that movie and Moore's constant bitching just made me start to dislike him.

Whenever a movie gets made or a new book is announced with characters or stories he created the first thing you always see is the headline "Moore condemns new *insert title here* movie/book" ...it just starts to get annoying after a while, particularly because he usually gets invited to participate in production and just refuses on some bullcrap principle.

He's become a miserable old fart while Morrison is still a very upbeat positive guy with loads of enthusiasm for the genre.

I can appreciate that he never wants to become a bitter cranky old man.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By RoboShark

I liked the book, but I'm something of a Miller-ite.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superbatprime said:

@DeathpooltheT1000: It's not that people hate Moore per se, I mean he didn't ever really go off the rails like Miller and start writing really poor stuff, I'm hard pressed to think of a Moore story I don't like... I think it's more a case of everybody being sick of Alan moaning all the time whenever anything happens with characters he created.

V for Vendetta for example, I think they did a great job with that movie and Moore's constant bitching just made me start to dislike him.

Whenever a movie gets made or a new book is announced with characters or stories he created the first thing you always see is the headline "Moore condemns new *insert title here* movie/book" ...it just starts to get annoying after a while, particularly because he usually gets invited to participate in production and just refuses on some bullcrap principle.

He's become a miserable old fart while Morrison is still a very upbeat positive guy with loads of enthusiasm for the genre.

I can appreciate that he never wants to become a bitter cranky old man.

That shows that Morrison could go crazy, but at least isn an ahole like Moore.

Moore makes Steve Ditko look normal and the guy destroy my camera when i take a picture of him.

superbatprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By superbatprime

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

Moore makes Steve Ditko look normal and the guy destroy my camera when i take a picture of him.

Oh Morrison is crazy... No question about it, but it's the good kind of crazy, the kind of crazy that gives us Final Crisis.

So was it Moore or Ditko that destroyed your camera?

I'm assuming Ditko, the guy is a notorious privacy nut and a virtual recluse media-wise afaik.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superbatprime said:

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

Oh Morrison is crazy... No question about it, but it's the good kind of crazy, the kind of crazy that gives us Final Crisis.

So was it Moore or Ditko that destroyed your camera?

I'm assuming Ditko, the guy is a notorious privacy nut and a virtual recluse media-wise afaik.

Ditko, he was in México city, i dont know why and i was like, sh1t is Ditko¡¡¡, i need a picture of him, he saw me and attack me for the fact i take a picture of him.

I mean the guy looked like Ditko and then acted like him.

Also it could be another crazy guy, that just looked like him, but damn that means there is more nutjobs like Ditko in the world.

But he guy looked like Ditko, say weird thing like Ditko and attack me for a picture like Ditko, for me that is enough evidence that:

A) Was Ditko

B) Ditko have clones.

Slaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Slaze

I just read the first 4 issues of All Star Batman actually and I have to say I actually enjoyed them. I'm a big fan of this 'devil may care' style Batman and think his attitude is great, I think that Morrison just wanted to depict the Batman in a new light and he has done that perfectly. As to whether or not it's a parody I think that yeah, he is poking fun in certain areas, but at the same time it is a believable character when you consider this is in the Dark Knight Universe. However I have to agree that Year One just doesn't seem to fit in this universe, unless somewhere along the way Batman just got super cocky for some reason.

I wonder if All Star Batman may have fared better had All Star Superman not been as well recieved.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Slaze said:

I just read the first 4 issues of All Star Batman actually and I have to say I actually enjoyed them. I'm a big fan of this 'devil may care' style Batman and think his attitude is great, I think that Morrison just wanted to depict the Batman in a new light and he has done that perfectly. As to whether or not it's a parody I think that yeah, he is poking fun in certain areas, but at the same time it is a believable character when you consider this is in the Dark Knight Universe. However I have to agree that Year One just doesn't seem to fit in this universe, unless somewhere along the way Batman just got super cocky for some reason.

I wonder if All Star Batman may have fared better had All Star Superman not been as well recieved.

Is Miller not Morrison.

Slaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Slaze

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

@Slaze said:

Is Miller not Morrison.

Yeah, that's who I meant. *slowly retreats and hopes nobody noticed I was ever here*

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Slaze: Dont worry once i say Chuck Berry and i try to say Chuck dixon, no one notice it for some reason.

blacmindZen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By blacmindZen

I'm about to read this. I bought it because I'm a fan of Jim Lee and I liked what Miller did with Batman Year One. Judging by the comments most think Miller has peaked. I will review soon.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacmindZen said:

I'm about to read this. I bought it because I'm a fan of Jim Lee and I liked what Miller did with Batman Year One. Judging by the comments most think Miller has peaked. I will review soon.

Some people say, that he use Batsuit at nights.

He is Batcrazy.

BillyFamine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By BillyFamine

If they wanted to put out a comic series that was fun and had me wanting the next issue more and more, they nailed it.

Was it good, deep, or groundbreaking? Well..... maybe not.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BillyFamine said:

If they wanted to put out a comic series that was fun and had me wanting the next issue more and more, they nailed it.

Was it good, deep, or groundbreaking? Well..... maybe not.

It was insanly fun, like the new Ghost Rider movie, if you are going to suck at least suck with style.

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By KenTheProfile

@DeathpooltheT1000:

while i could not disagree with you more. I loved All star Batman it was the last good thing miller did before he went all racist, islamaphob, and stupid.

is it the batman i love the most? no. but it's diffrent. it what Batman would be in real life, not real nice to be around. and it makes alfred a total badass.

it's only bad if you go in wanting one thing and one thing only, Batman the way you want it writen.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KenTheProfile: Batman would be an asshole, sure i mean the real world is worst that the comic book world, still i dont think he would be so insane, i mean it was cartoonishly insane.

blacmindZen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blacmindZen

Frank Miller appears to be trying really hard to show "edge". While it works for Tarantino, Miller, notsomuch. The story was really meh, but the artwork was Jim Lee being Jim Lee.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacmindZen said:

Frank Miller appears to be trying really hard to show "edge". While it works for Tarantino, Miller, notsomuch. The story was really meh, but the artwork was Jim Lee being Jim Lee.

Sorry son, but it does not work for Tarantino, it works only when a guy isnt trying to do it, and do it becuase he does not know he is doing it.

Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Croaker

Can't tell for sure. What is over the top for most people, might not be the same in the mind of Frank Miller.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Croaker said:

Can't tell for sure. What is over the top for most people, might not be the same in the mind of Frank Miller.

Well at least he isnt like Micheal Bay and decide to make the TMNT freacking Aliens!!!

blacmindZen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By blacmindZen

Really? Tarantino is the master of overkill (literally). As far as dialogue being over the top, Samuel L. Jackson's MF count is always through the roof in every Tarantino film. And for me it works every time. I'm gauging you just aren't a Tarantino fan to see the similarities. true. Miller is probably just a victim of his own style. Supe comics weren't treated so dark and gritty in the DC Universe before DKR. Now that every supe comic wants to tap into the dark humour, violent response without killing cliche, he's not doing anything different and it looks like overkill in dialogue and plot.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacmindZen: I like crazy things, still i dont like Taranino, he look like a HHollywood version of the crazyness, i dont like the hollywood version.

Also i like him more as a person, that as director.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.