Age of the Bat Family in the new 52

#1 Posted by Dark_Slayor (211 posts) - - Show Bio

Since the new timeline in the new 52 doesnt make sense to me anymore does anyone know the age of these characters, and he answer to these questions?

Bruce - I believe he started his career as the bat at 21 and is currently 32 or 33.

Alfred - No idea, but it'll nice to know his age.

Dick - This where it gets kinda dumb for me. Recruited as Robin at age 16(Not sure on this, but i liked it better as 9 or 8 orginally), had a run of 5 yrs and is currently Nightwing at age 21

Jason - No idea how old he was when he was Robin, How long his Robin tenure lasted, and his current age. Though I would assume he's a year young than Dick.

Tim - Again same questions as Jason, but i'd assume he's 18 as Red Robin.

Damian - Age 10, Concieved around Bruce's first year as Batman(???)

Barbara - ???

I don't know if any information has been released on Cassie and Stephanie but if it has I would like to know their respective timeline's also.

#2 Posted by YMCMB (160 posts) - - Show Bio

All the ages seem about right to me, but Dick wouldn't have been recruited as Robin at 16, because his career as Robin would have ended several years ago. He probably was about 11 when he started, then became Nightwing at 16 or 17, which seems kinda young to me but...whatever.

#3 Edited by LightningTiger2190 (105 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I read somewhere that Barbara has been reduced to the same age as Dick.

What I want to know is if Bruce's Lazarus pit dip in the past is still canonical? If his chronological age is at max 33, would that mean physically he is in his late 20s?

#4 Posted by Eternal19 (2074 posts) - - Show Bio

the Bat-family is the most interesting group of charecters in todays comics and i hate how DC had to mess up the whole continuity

#5 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

DC really messed this up with their 5 year continuity. There are just too many Robins for this to make sense, however, I think the ages are:

Bruce: 33 (begins training at 21, trains for 7 years til he is 28, and then 5 years active)

Dick: 21 (started as Robin at age 16 and then moved to Nightwing probably around 18 to make way for Jason)

Jason: 19 (died after 1 year as Robin and then immediately resurrected and trained/funded by Talia)

Tim:17 (I believe he is an emancipated minor who graduated from high school early)

Damian: 10 (easier too explain cuz of Talia and the test tube)

#6 Posted by Dark_Slayor (211 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n: If he was only active for five years then how can Damian be 10? He definitely concieved Damian while he was Batman.

#7 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dark_Slayor: Damian could have been conceived while he was training to be Batman, or artificially aged in a test tube (which I believe is the actual way that DC is playing it)

#8 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

This makes no freacking sense at all.

how could Bruce be 33?

He should be like in his 40 almost 50s.

DC screw their own continutiy to much.

#9 Posted by ZombieBatman (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's what I think.

Bruce - (Became Batman at 28 after 7-8years of training) Current age 41.

Dick Grayson - (Became Robin at age 14. Became Nightwing at 19) Current age 27.

Jason Todd - ( Became robin at 15. Died at 17. Red Hood at 18.) Current age 22.

Tim Drake - (Became Robin at 15. Red Robin at 17) Current age 18.

Damian Wayne - (Came into Bruce's life at age 8. Robin at 9) Current Age 10.

Babs - Same age as Dick.

#10 Edited by ThanosIsMad (2167 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce - 33 to 35

Tim - 16

Dick - 22

Jason - 20

Babs - 22

Damian - 10

I'm ignoring DC's 5 year timeline since it doesn't work. Bruce being Batman for 12-15 years provides plenty of enough room for him to meet Ra's, Talia, and for Damian to be conceived and for him to grow up naturally.

#11 Edited by thejman251 (435 posts) - - Show Bio

- Bruce: 27

- Richard: 23

- Jason: 20

- Tim: 18

- Damian: 10-11

#12 Posted by HushoftheWind (617 posts) - - Show Bio

@thejman251: spot on, definitely agree with Dick being the brother of bruce, Jason being the adopted Son, Tim being the protege, and Damian being the legitimate son.

#13 Posted by thejman251 (435 posts) - - Show Bio

@thejman251: spot on, definitely agree with Dick being the brother of bruce, Jason being the adopted Son, Tim being the protege, and Damian being the legitimate son.

- Yes, because these ages were definitely supposed to make sense when they were constrained by a timeline that does not make any sense.

#14 Posted by Petite_Oiseau (226 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's what I think.

Bruce - (Became Batman at 28 after 7-8years of training) Current age 41.

Dick Grayson - (Became Robin at age 14. Became Nightwing at 19) Current age 27.

Jason Todd - ( Became robin at 15. Died at 17. Red Hood at 18.) Current age 22.

Tim Drake - (Became Robin at 15. Red Robin at 17) Current age 18.

Damian Wayne - (Came into Bruce's life at age 8. Robin at 9) Current Age 10.

Babs - Same age as Dick.

It's been confirmed by Higgins that Dick is 20/21/22.

#15 Edited by RustyRoy (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

- Bruce: 27

- Richard: 23

- Jason: 20

- Tim: 18

- Damian: 10-11

This one seems more appropriate.

#16 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (5550 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there was a thread that said that Batman was definitely 31, but I can't remember what their sources were. I'll post it if I find it.

#17 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (4911 posts) - - Show Bio

It's stupid so I just pretend that is there Pre 52 ages and origins.

#18 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52

Batman: Around 35

Nightwing: 22-24

Jason Todd:20-23

Tim Drake :19-21

Barbara Gordon :Same as Nightwing or slightly younger.

Alfred: 65-70

Damian Wayne: 12-14

#19 Edited by Black_Claw (2811 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman: somewhere in his mid 30's

Nightwing: early 20's

Red Hood: early 20's

Red Robin: 17-18

Batgirl: Early 20's

Robin: 10

Alfred: 60's

#20 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2100 posts) - - Show Bio

Since the new timeline in the new 52 doesnt make sense to me anymore does anyone know the age of these characters, and he answer to these questions?

Bruce - I believe he started his career as the bat at 21 and is currently 32 or 33.

Alfred - No idea, but it'll nice to know his age.

Dick - This where it gets kinda dumb for me. Recruited as Robin at age 16(Not sure on this, but i liked it better as 9 or 8 orginally), had a run of 5 yrs and is currently Nightwing at age 21

Jason - No idea how old he was when he was Robin, How long his Robin tenure lasted, and his current age. Though I would assume he's a year young than Dick.

Tim - Again same questions as Jason, but i'd assume he's 18 as Red Robin.

Damian - Age 10, Concieved around Bruce's first year as Batman(???)

Barbara - ???

I don't know if any information has been released on Cassie and Stephanie but if it has I would like to know their respective timeline's also.

are you forgetting the new 52 5 year rule

#21 Posted by lilcraig92 (80 posts) - - Show Bio

I know Dick Grayson was recruited to be Robin at 15.

But I dont kno bout errbody else.

#22 Posted by MasterDetective (676 posts) - - Show Bio

It's funny, I was about to make a similar thread :P

#23 Posted by edge007 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Here're my guesses condensing the timeline as much as possible (although making it five years is pretty much impossible, IMHO, so mine's ten):

Bruce - 32 (left to travel the world and train to become Batman upon graduating from high school and just before his return at the age of 22 bought himself a bachelor's degree from somewhere. Was solo for one year before having Dick on as Robin for three. Intended for Jason to have the same kind of three year training program, but that got cut off by a year after Jason was killed. Was solo for another year before Tim came on board to train for his three years before going solo)

Dick - 24 (began training as Robin at 15 and completed training and became Nightwing at 18)

Jason - 21 (like Dick, began training with Bruce at 15, but at the age of 17 was killed by The Joker. Soon after his resurrection, trained with the All-Caste for another year before gathering the resources to try and take down both Bruce and The Joker)

Tim - 18 (like his predecessors, began training with Bruce at 15. Completed his training just under a year ago to make way for Damien)

Damien - 10 (stated in an early issue of this latest version of Batman & Robin. Was probably conceived sometime during Bruce's first year during his first encounter with Ra's and Talia)

Babs - the same age as Dick, 24. Self-trained for two years before becoming Batgirl at the age of 17. Was only active as Batgirl for two years before voluntarily retiring, nearly a year before she was paralyzed by The Joker at the age of 20.

Alfred - minimum 54 (less consequential than the rest, but at least old enough to be Bruce's father)

#24 Edited by lifeofvibe (3140 posts) - - Show Bio

bruce became batman at 21 got dick at 11 a year later bruce is now 22 met the

justice league 5 years later and in

between concieved damian(bruce:27) dick is now16 becomes nightwing 2 month later

#26 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred - Probably Immortal, Forever a slave to the Wayne family.

#27 Edited by jesusdisciple001 (541 posts) - - Show Bio

How old is supes

#28 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

They can be whatever age you want them to be. The ages for me:

Bruce: 35

Dick: 27

Babs: 26

Jason: 25

Tim: 18

Damian:13

Superman:32

Lois: 29

#29 Posted by Dark_Slayor (211 posts) - - Show Bio

@thejman251: @arkhamc1tizen:

What's the new 52 5 year rule?

Also there's no way Bruce is 27 unless they just retconned everything in the Batman universe(which it's my understanding that they weren't really changing anything as far as Batman and Green Lantern goes).

But here is where my confusion is stemming from. Bruce starts his career as Batman at 25(I think they even stated this in Batman: Year One), and he has had a 5 year run as the cape crusader(supposedly). Many times in the comics Bruce has stated he took in Dick Grayson while he was around the same age Bruce lost his own parents to crime. So if that holds true, Bruce lost his parents while he was 8, but lets be generous and put Dick at 11 when he become Bruce's ward. A five year career as Batman only puts Dick as a 16 year old Nightwing.

On the flipnote, Damian is forsure 10 years old. There's no way Talia had any contact with Bruce while he wasn't Batman, this is another reason why a five year tenure as Batman makes no sense.

So here's my real question; What age did Bruce become Batman? How long has Bruce been Batman, after his starting age? And, what age did he recruit Dick Grayson, and what age did Dick officially become Robin then NightWing?

#30 Posted by thejman251 (435 posts) - - Show Bio

@thejman251: @arkhamc1tizen:

What's the new 52 5 year rule?

Also there's no way Bruce is 27 unless they just retconned everything in the Batman universe(which it's my understanding that they weren't really changing anything as far as Batman and Green Lantern goes).

But here is where my confusion is stemming from. Bruce starts his career as Batman at 25(I think they even stated this in Batman: Year One), and he has had a 5 year run as the cape crusader(supposedly). Many times in the comics Bruce has stated he took in Dick Grayson while he was around the same age Bruce lost his own parents to crime. So if that holds true, Bruce lost his parents while he was 8, but lets be generous and put Dick at 11 when he become Bruce's ward. A five year career as Batman only puts Dick as a 16 year old Nightwing.

On the flipnote, Damian is forsure 10 years old. There's no way Talia had any contact with Bruce while he wasn't Batman, this is another reason why a five year tenure as Batman makes no sense.

So here's my real question; What age did Bruce become Batman? How long has Bruce been Batman, after his starting age? And, what age did he recruit Dick Grayson, and what age did Dick officially become Robin then NightWing?

- Thanks to this nonsensical 5 year timeline, few people, if any, can actually answer your question.

- Hopefully, Snyder's Zero year will clear some of this up.

#31 Posted by chipsnopotatoes (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Selina is 23

#32 Posted by Lady_Shadow (31 posts) - - Show Bio

i mostly agree with @edge007

- Batman 29 - 30 (The New 52 timeline is reasonable for Batman, not completely, but just enough. At the beginning of the New 52, Selina Kyle is 23 years old. Bruce is only a year or two older than her so he must have been 24 - 25 years old at the time. According to the New 52 timeline, it's been 5 years since Bruce put on the cowl which would have made him 19 - 20 years when he first started. Now I don't know how they would work his training out but he began traveling the world not long after his parents died (Legends of the Dark Knight #19). Currently, Damian was 10 years old. So assuming that Bruce met Talia at the beginning of his Batman years, this would make him around 29 - 30 years old right now.)

- Dick 26 - 27 (Bruce, probably at 21, adopted Dick when he was around 12 so that would make Dick 26 - 27 years old right now.)

- Jason 21 - 23 (Guessing since he obviously younger than Dick.)

- Tim 17 - 18 (He's a TEEN titan.)

- Barbara 25 - 26 (Around same age as Dick)

- Damian 10 (Damian was apparently 10 years old)

- Alfred Immortal (Alfred's still in The Dark Knight Returns when Bruce is like 60 o.O lol he's probably around 50 - 60 years old right now)

#33 Edited by thejman251 (435 posts) - - Show Bio

- It's now been all but confirmed that Bruce has only been Batman for 5-6 years from today.

- Deal with it people.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.