Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Affleck problem no one has addressed

• 85 results
    CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

One aspect of the casting of Ben Affleck that I have not heard addressed is concern about whether he will politicize Batman. One of many things I respected about Nolan is that in a time when people were shoehorning anti-bush stuff into their movies I could never get a read on what Nolans' politics were. I hope they stay as apolitical as possible. Will it be tempting for Affleck in 2015 to say that "Batman would endorse hillary clinton" or his new batman movie will be about universal healthcare or something as avatar-esque cringe-worthy as that. What do you think, comrades?

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@cuddlebear: Are you kidding? TDKR was more right-leaning than the original DRK story, which says a lot.

Also, if you've seen Affleck's other films, you'd see his politics are left out. Even in Gone, Baby, Gone, the libby PI looks like a dummy in the end.

Plus, these are studio films, so creators get little say anyway.

Seems like you're trying to get upset tbh.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

What is DRK?

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear: Are you kidding? TDKR was more right-leaning than the original DRK story, which says a lot.

explain and be definitive

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, if you've seen Affleck's other films, you'd see his politics are left out. Even in Gone, Baby, Gone, the libby PI looks like a dummy in the end.

Plus, these are studio films, so creators get little say anyway.

Seems like you're trying to get upset tbh.

well first i am not trying to get upset. it is just a question i thought should be asked. james cameron gets plenty of say in what happens in avatar. also i don't think afflecks work had any political agenda except maybe slightly in Argo. I just wonder if the temptation will be there when he has a franchise this big instead of his little artsy movies.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, Batfleck is going to be the most liberal Batman Gotham has ever seen. Wayne Enterprises will launch a compulsory city-wide healthcare program, run by Arkham inmates 'cause they're death panels anyway. If you're too rich and too white and too straight, no healthcare for you, thanks very much. Abortion and homosexuality become enshrined as sacred duties in the city's charter, and those pesky feminists start using abortion as their primary form of birth control while the gay panromantic demisexual otherkin throng the streets of Gotham, hugging trees and singing peace songs. Commissioner Loeb is dragged out onto the streets and shot after invoking the name of George Washington, who, three centuries of political, social and cultural evolution ago, claimed that God and government could never be separated.

The liberal wave sweeps over DC Earth, and Wonder Woman flies over Gotham in her invisible jet, dropping flyers for Hillary '16. Green Arrow is nominated as the Democratic candidate in 2020, elected President by a 92% majority, and making his first act in office an amendment of the Gettysburg Address to read "One Nation Under God-Doesn't Exist."

I mean, seriously: are the only posts you make on ComicVine complaints about universal healthcare?

are these the only topics you are going to shut down, you little fascist?

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear said:

@citizenbane said:

Yup, Batfleck is going to be the most liberal Batman Gotham has ever seen. Wayne Enterprises will launch a compulsory city-wide healthcare program, run by Arkham inmates 'cause they're death panels anyway. If you're too rich and too white and too straight, no healthcare for you, thanks very much. Abortion and homosexuality become enshrined as sacred duties in the city's charter, and those pesky feminists start using abortion as their primary form of birth control while the gay panromantic demisexual otherkin throng the streets of Gotham, hugging trees and singing peace songs. Commissioner Loeb is dragged out onto the streets and shot after invoking the name of George Washington, who, three centuries of political, social and cultural evolution ago, claimed that God and government could never be separated.

The liberal wave sweeps over DC Earth, and Wonder Woman flies over Gotham in her invisible jet, dropping flyers for Hillary '16. Green Arrow is nominated as the Democratic candidate in 2020, elected President by a 92% majority, and making his first act in office an amendment of the Gettysburg Address to read "One Nation Under God-Doesn't Exist."

I mean, seriously: are the only posts you make on ComicVine complaints about universal healthcare?

are these the only topics you are going to shut down, you little fascist?

Okaaay, let's backtrack and calm down. I lost it a little in that post, and I apologize for that. As for shutting down threads, the thread I shut down had descended into a flame war, and threads like that are shut down all the time to stop people from getting banned as the arguments grow increasingly out of hand. Vaeternus is more than familiar with political flame wars on the Vine, especially on the threads he creates. Nothing fascist about it.

nice way to lawyer your way into selective encforcement. i am not offended by your post. i am as pro-choice as it gets, pro-gay as it gets, secular as it gets, and an anti-theist. most of my universal healthcare posts have been mocking people defending it, as a opposed to complaining me about it. but universal healthcare has nothing to do with what i said, my subject was politicizing batman. affleck is a very political guy they talked about him running for something even. artists telling me to vote democrat annoys me... if any one them told me to vote republican it would annoy me too still waiting on that day though.

Aeron_Glyndwr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aeron_Glyndwr

I may be missing the point, but how is this an Affleck problem and not a Goyer/Snyder problem? Affleck's not writing or directing, he's just portraying.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How was Dark Knight or the Dark Knight Rises even remotely subtle about their political implications? Dark Knight - Batman illegally extradites a criminal from a foreign country, tortures criminals/"terrorists", uses people's cellphones to search for terrorists, come on, the last one wasn't even a subtle metaphor for the patriot act.

Dark Knight Rises, Bane literally attacks the stock exchange in an "occupy wallstreet" move, and turns Gotham into a straight communist state.

Apolitical? I think these movies are fine movies, but don't make me laugh.

Aeron_Glyndwr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aeron_Glyndwr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aeron_Glyndwr

@joygirl said:

*snugglebite*

This is new :o

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may be missing the point, but how is this an Affleck problem and not a Goyer/Snyder problem? Affleck's not writing or directing, he's just portraying.

he is going to direct the batman franchise

@joygirl said:

@aeron_glyndwr: *tackles*

good tackle! you have earned the right to dance with me, congratulations

How was Dark Knight or the Dark Knight Rises even remotely subtle about their political implications? Dark Knight - Batman illegally extradites a criminal from a foreign country, tortures criminals/"terrorists", uses people's cellphones to search for terrorists, come on, the last one wasn't even a subtle metaphor for the patriot act.

Dark Knight Rises, Bane literally attacks the stock exchange in an "occupy wallstreet" move, and turns Gotham into a straight communist state.

Apolitical? I think these movies are fine movies, but don't make me laugh.

you can interpret them as political but its not in your face telling you like avatar. you forgot the whole green energy is dangerous angle from TDKR also ;)

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aeron_glyndwr: Not that new. :o Maybe you don't know me on this account. ^_^

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RDClip

Keep ham-fisted politics out of my superhero chowder. I don't want another V for Vendetta smacking me in the face with the film makers oh-so clever 'political allegory'.

Aeron_Glyndwr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear: Ahhhh, I thought this was in reference specifically to Bats/Supes.

Is there any verified source for that btw? It's what I assumed, I just hadn't seemed it confirmed anywhere

Aeron_Glyndwr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aeron_Glyndwr

@joygirl: I meant new to me....not dissuading you from it, though :D

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Joygirl
    CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

Keep ham-fisted politics out of my superhero chowder. I don't want another V for Vendetta smacking me in the face with the film makers oh-so clever 'political allegory'.

you get me rdlcip. you can actually spot an anti-bush protest sign in that movie. also that movie needs a reboot.

Aeron_Glyndwr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Aeron_Glyndwr

@joygirl: We we all know I'm so good at hiding my true identity :P

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Joygirl

Y'all m***********s best be leaving V for Vendetta right alone. That movie was a masterpiece and it was SUPPOSED to be political.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear: Ahhhh, I thought this was in reference specifically to Bats/Supes.

Is there any verified source for that btw? It's what I assumed, I just hadn't seemed it confirmed anywhere

pretty sure its part of his deal. also @joygirl and @aeron_glyndwr put on your red shoes and dance the blues

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Aeron_Glyndwr: And hence you cannot hide from my snuggles, even in this form! :3

Aeron_Glyndwr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aeron_Glyndwr

@cuddlebear: That's what I thought, too....I just wasn't sober enough to apply that logic to your OP :P

@joygirl: But would I ever want to, is the question

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

Y'all m***********s best be leaving V for Vendetta right alone. That movie was a masterpiece and it was SUPPOSED to be political.

natalie portman, my girl of joy, natalie portman. the rest of the cast i love but let me be that guy and say that the book was much better snear snear. also alan moore didn't predict bushs election in the 80's he could have but he chose not to.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@cuddlebear: But I don't have any red shoes. :(

all those damn angels wana wear my red shoes :(

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Joygirl

@cuddlebear: That's because (wait for it) Alan Moore is a hack and that comic was mediocre. It took putting Hugo Weaving behind the mask to make it a masterpiece.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@cuddlebear: That's because (wait for it) Alan Moore is a hack and that comic was mediocre. It took putting Hugo Weaving behind the mask to make it a masterpiece.

thank you ma'am, may i have another?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Joygirl

@cuddlebear: You may. The Killing Joke was overrated. A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was atrociously bad. And Watchmen is stupid.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CuddleBear

@joygirl said:

@cuddlebear: You may. The Killing Joke was overrated. A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was atrociously bad. And Watchmen is stupid.

eggy in a basket is my safe word

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

A masterpiece of terribleness? I hate Bush as much as the next guy, but that movie just took a Michael Moore doctmentary and shoved it up a sci-fi story's ass. Political allegory can be done well, but if it as over the top as V was, it should be a comedic satire. The one and only time I saw that movie, I was laughing from how ham fisted and on the nose it was.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Joygirl

I'm gonna pretend you didn't call V for Vendetta terrible. My body count is too high already this week.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: No, I said masterpiece of terribleness much worse than standard terrible.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

This was one of the most glorious things I've ever read on the Vine.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#40 SC  Moderator

@comicstooge said:

@citizenbane said:

Agreed, it was very well crafted.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People often confuse Batman with Green Arrow.

Batman is obviously not a left wing character, he obviously see the fails of left wing and just decide to keep himself in the middle.

Batman wasnt spying people for no reason, The Joker said he was going to kill a bunch of people, after the problem is solve Batman destroy the machine and stop at spying people, Obama spy everybody and people keeps saying he is not a criminal.

Obama said in the modern world, you cant have 100% freedom or 100% security, you have to decide to give your freedom to the goverment so they give you protection, thie when it was found the NSA was spying on everybody.

I remember that whn the mexican goverment ask for explanations for this, the Obama Administration justify their point and say if you have nothig to hide, you wouldnt have problems with they spying on you.

Batman saves Gotham, not the Goverment and does everything to change the society, not to keep it the same.

The main problem with Nolan Batman is that he dont belive in liberal bullshit and liberal double standards.

So it make him look like the reopublican party for democratic people and liberals.

But Batman is not spying on people all the time, he is not telling to give to him their freedom for protection or using their data for his own gain.

In TDK is shown Batman spied the goverment and saved people from the goverment that were going to kill them.

In Rises he had to sace the city after the goverment quit and let Catwoman to keep being a criminal, without any problem since she stole to people that deserve it.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
    Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the Obama Administration justify their point and say if you have nothig to hide, you wouldnt have problems with hey spying on you.

Bullsh*t. That's all I have to say on that.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@dctv3363 said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:
    the Obama Administration justify their point and say if you have nothig to hide, you wouldnt have problems with hey spying on you.

I thought that was what the Republicans said when the Bush spying program got revealed.

A perfect example of IOKIYAR.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@dctv3363 said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

I thought that was what the Republicans said when the Bush spying program got revealed.

A perfect example of IOKIYAR.

Thats was to the americans during Bush administration, this was to mexicans, when it was found that the Obama administrations keep this and decide to spy mexican citizens without telling the mexican goverment.

The Mexican Goverment ask for explenation and pretty much that what they said to them.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aeron_glyndwr: @cuddlebear: It's an option in his contract to direct a movie outside of Justice League as seen in this post. Credibility of the content aside, here's the link.

http://www.comicvine.com/batman/4005-1699/forums/ben-affleck-batsuit-description-for-batman-vs-supe-1517017/

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

@comicstooge said:

@citizenbane said:

and sooooo edgy

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#48  Edited By SC  Moderator

@cuddlebear said:

Sure, and I'd say witty and satirical as well.

I especially liked the part about the Liberal Wave replacing the God Wave - does that mean The Source will be replaced by The Richard Dawkings and the New Gods will now be known as the New Vegan Atheist Tree Huggers? Will Darkseid now be pursing the Anti-Gay Equation on Apokolips, which is now a giant gay-to-straight therapy program deconversation centre? Orion will now be The Dog of Hippy Pacifism now? Instead of the Source Wall having powerful space cosmic beings and dead ancient gods pinned and impaled on its walls it now has Fox news journalists pinned to and stuck on Darwinist literature and Bill Nye Science books? Well potentially… who knows what those crazy liberal Hollywood A-List actors are up to right? I bet a lot of people have probably addressed this huge problem but the liberally biased media are suppressing them!

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

@comicstooge said:

@citizenbane said:

Beautiful right down to the punctuation

@sc said:

@cuddlebear said:

Sure, and I'd say witty and satirical as well.

I especially liked the part about the Liberal Wave replacing the God Wave - does that mean The Source will be replaced by The Richard Dawkings and the New Gods will now be known as the New Vegan Atheist Tree Huggers? Will Darkseid now be pursing the Anti-Gay Equation on Apokolips, which is now a giant gay-to-straight therapy program deconversation centre? Orion will now be The Dog of Hippy Pacifism now? Instead of the Source Wall having powerful space cosmic beings and dead ancient gods pinned and impaled on its walls it now has Fox news journalists pinned to and stuck on Darwinist literature and Bill Nye Science books? Well potentially… who knows what those crazy liberal Hollywood A-List actors are up to right? I bet a lot of people have probably addressed this huge problem but the liberally biased media are suppressing them!

Suppressed them and then took away their splendid healthcare plans in favor of the aforementioned death panels run by Arkham inmates that ended in any number of bloody tragedies, unwanted pregnancies, or the odd combination of both. This of course leads to The Spectre now bereft of power because of the now widely believed "One Nation Under God-Doesn't Exist" amendment taken from the Revised Gettysburg Address and now adopted into all formal governing matters. And with his dying breath, death rattle revealing the secrets of the universe, this inadvertently supplies Darkseid with the equation he seeks. I for one don't want to see a movie were the villain wins. Does anyone really want to see a movie where Darkseid wins?

Avatar image for jordanisntsuper
    JordanIsntSuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I'm a conservative so if I feel like they are trying to push an agenda on me then I won't be watching it at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.