Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

According to Me: Is it time for a new Riddler story arc?

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

Okay Riddler is my favorite Batman villain(Joker is just a favorite villain in general), but we haven't gotten to see him DO anything in the New 52. Personally I would like them to make Riddler Joker's equal, like how dangerous he is.

How to do this? Riddler is a narcissist and people with severe narcissism are known to do things that will get them attention, anything really. If it involves doing something horrible? Then yeah they'll do it. Full list of what narcissism entails are as follows:

Reacting to criticism with anger, shame, or humiliation

Taking advantage of others to reach own goals

Exaggerating own importance, achievements, and talents

Imagining unrealistic fantasies of success, beauty, power, intelligence, or romance

Requiring constant attention be it positive or negative

Becoming jealous easily

Lacking empathy and disregarding the feelings of others

Being obsessed with self

Pursuing mainly selfish goals

Trouble keeping healthy relationships

Becoming easily hurt and rejected

Setting goals that are unrealistic

Wanting "the best" of everything

This fits Riddler to a T. Also here's something that furthers the point

A lot of these traps for the people Batman has to save in the game would definitely lead to a Saw-esque death. Which actually brings me to my next point. Currently there's been a theme going for all of Batman's villains. Make them horror themed. This really started with Rocksteady's Arkham game series, with characters like Scarecrow, Solomon Grundy, and Riddler to name a few being more or less modeled after horror movie characters. Scarecrow after Freddy Kruger, Grundy after Frankenstein(The electrical aspect and undead nature), and finally Riddler who's traps were obviously lifted right out of Saw.

What I would like to see is a story where Riddler gets an idea. People are always afraid of The Joker while they treat him with little respect. This drives Mr. Nigma to step up his game. Now this isn't to say he's not compelling on his own or to compare him to Joker, but with his narcissism Riddler wouldn't take this lying down. Picture this scene in a comic

Sure he's never done anything this bad, but if you're going for a darker more driven version then this is pretty much what you'd get. Now this isn't to say make Riddler a Jigsaw rip off, but make it where he's a VERY big threat that's pushing Batman not only mentally but physically.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@smart_dork_dude: I agree with you so much; one thing that pisses me off is how much people are just bandwagoners. Everyone goes on like Batman has the best rogues gallery of all, but more than 99% of them are never even used. The Riddler for me being the prime example, also Penguin is great as well. Somehow only Two Face and Joker of his classical villains ever get really utilized. Thats why I´m so looking forward to Batman Earth One Part Two. In fact The Riddler is the only reason I would want to see a next Batman film. He defo should be as much an archnemisis as The Joker. Batman a detective, his MO is leaving genius level riddles at his crimes so Batman knows its him. I mean duh. He fits more than Joker even.

I love Joker, Rhas Al Gul and Catwoman, but for The Riddler needs that push now. Hope he gets it.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@jphulk26: Yeah! I mean like I said, Joker is one of my favorite villain in general, but Riddler? Yeah he's my favorite Batman villain because there's just something about him that works. Also he's kinda more scary than Joker in a few ways, because while Joker is pretty much just crazy for the sake of being crazy, Riddler has a REAL mental problem that can be VERY dangerous for most people. Like I said if a narcissistic person wants attention then they'll do it.

There was actually a man named Ted Bundy who assaulted and murdered numerous young women and girls during the 1970s and possibly earlier. After more than a decade of denials, he confessed shortly before his execution to 30 homicides committed in seven states between 1974 and 1978; the true total remains unknown, and could be much higher. And guess what? He gave clues where his victims bodies were, on purpose mind you, and basically saying "Catch me if you can". In other words he was a real life Riddler, just minus the actual riddles. That's terrifying to think about and it makes Riddler all the more real.

thejman250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay Riddler is my favorite Batman villain(Joker is just a favorite villain in general), but we haven't gotten to see him DO anything in the New 52. Personally I would like them to make Riddler Joker's equal, like how dangerous he is.

How to do this? Riddler is a narcissist and people with severe narcissism are known to do things that will get them attention, anything really. If it involves doing something horrible? Then yeah they'll do it. Full list of what narcissism entails are as follows:

Reacting to criticism with anger, shame, or humiliation

Taking advantage of others to reach own goals

Exaggerating own importance, achievements, and talents

Imagining unrealistic fantasies of success, beauty, power, intelligence, or romance

Requiring constant attention be it positive or negative

Becoming jealous easily

Lacking empathy and disregarding the feelings of others

Being obsessed with self

Pursuing mainly selfish goals

Trouble keeping healthy relationships

Becoming easily hurt and rejected

Setting goals that are unrealistic

Wanting "the best" of everything

This fits Riddler to a T. Also here's something that furthers the point

Loading Video...

A lot of these traps for the people Batman has to save in the game would definitely lead to a Saw-esque death. Which actually brings me to my next point. Currently there's been a theme going for all of Batman's villains. Make them horror themed. This really started with Rocksteady's Arkham game series, with characters like Scarecrow, Solomon Grundy, and Riddler to name a few being more or less modeled after horror movie characters. Scarecrow after Freddy Kruger, Grundy after Frankenstein(The electrical aspect and undead nature), and finally Riddler who's traps were obviously lifted right out of Saw.

What I would like to see is a story where Riddler gets an idea. People are always afraid of The Joker while they treat him with little respect. This drives Mr. Nigma to step up his game. Now this isn't to say he's not compelling on his own or to compare him to Joker, but with his narcissism Riddler wouldn't take this lying down. Picture this scene in a comic

Loading Video...

Sure he's never done anything this bad, but if you're going for a darker more driven version then this is pretty much what you'd get. Now this isn't to say make Riddler a Jigsaw rip off, but make it where he's a VERY big threat that's pushing Batman not only mentally but physically.

- I'm personally not looking forward to anything snyder writes besides Zero Year.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jphulk26

@smart_dork_dude: I think Riddler should be like a mix of Ted Bundy and the unibomber. he´s actually got alot in common with both of them.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I thought Scott Snyder had said that he was doing a Riddler story after Death Of The Family, but maybe it'll be after Zero Year instead.

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I 'd really like to see Riddler as the main villain of a story arc again.

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I kind of liked what Snyder did with Riddler in the small part he played in DotF. (accept for how he's taken out, that was a bit ridiculous). Would love to see him in a major story.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

If I see another Penguin story in the New 52, I think I'm going to throw up in my mouth.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I really want Riddler to have an amazing story. When written well, he is by far one of the most interesting character. And sine I am here it drives me crazy that the Joker has all these elaborate plans when really, it should be the Riddler.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Way past time. I cannot even think of a worthwhile Riddler story that I might reccommend to a non-comic book reader like I might reccommend The Killing Joke for Joker. I hope Snyder follows through on his earlier claim and does a Riddler story at some point. I think he'd write a pretty great Riddler.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.