Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

A New Day & Age - We're In The Brass Age of Comics!

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EmperorJosh

Yesterday, while reading a Batman comic book(New 52 version) i realized that somewhere within the past year, we've crosssed over from the Copper Age in Comics to some kind of new age. I like to call it the Brass Age. DC's "New 52" and Marvel Comics' "Marvel Now" I think, was the unofficial beginning of a brand new age in comics. Now these events are the spearheads driving this new period, instead of the Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns as they were with this previous period. What do you guys think? Have we crossed over, or not yet?

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FatihBATMAN

yes! :)

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By colonyofcells

COIE initiated a round of reboots. Flashpoint also initiated a round of reboots. I don't know what name to call the post-COIE reboots age. I would count post-Flashpoint reboots as a new age but I don't know what name to call the new 52 age.

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EmperorJosh

@colonyofcells said:

COIE initiated a round of reboots. Flashpoint also initiated a round of reboots. I don't know what name to call the post-COIE reboots age. I would count post-Flashpoint reboots as a new age but I don't know what name to call the new 52 age.

The Brass Age seems appropriate (:

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Squalleon

I would call it the "Second Dark Age of Comics" since everything seems to go darker and darker :-P

But yes Welcome to the New Age THE BRASS AGE!

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By colonyofcells

Most people agree on the dc golden age and dc silver age (beginning of Barry Allen). I label the firing of Gardner Fox and other older writers and getting replaced by younger writers and getting replaced by some former Marvel writers as the beginning of the bronze age (jla satellite era). There is no agreement on Post COIE and Post Flashpoint so I just continue to be clear by saying Post COIE and Post Flashpoint to avoid misunderstanding and miscommunication.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Golden->Silver->Bronze->Iron

That's how i've always understood it anyways, with the Iron Age sometimes called the Modern or Dark Age. I always felt the Post Crisis DCU fell into the Bronze Age and then drifted into the Iron, with the various reboots and origin retellings.

But indeed, Hail the Brass Age!

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By the_tree

Who says you get to decide what it's called?

What happened to democracy? Damn commie.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OutlawRenegade

I'd say that we're in the FILM age of comics. Marvel and DC are now IP farms for their holding companies due to the current popularity of superheroes. But both companies and the medium as a whole continue to lose readers overall despite noticeable increases in readership with the launch of new issue 1s. I'm being serious and not facetious.

We'll probably see an end to this age once the market becomes over-saturated with superhero films. (See 2015, when Fantastic Four, Ant-Man, Avengers 2, Justice League, and Star Wars are all set to come out).

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EmperorJosh

@The_Tree said:

The Brass Age seemed fitting. I dont know, what would you call it...?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By colonyofcells

New 52 is short and easy to type. Post Flashpoint is better to avoid misunderstanding.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrShway88

So I know when the Golden and Sliver age was but when did the Bronze and Copper/Iron (whatever you call it) age start? Wasn't the Modern age the bronze or another age? When was the Dark age? Never heard of that one. Also I prefer the current to be called the film age. Comics are and never were metals or minerals. lol

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Stormbox

@MrShway88 said:

So I know when the Golden and Sliver age was but when did the Bronze and Copper/Iron (whatever you call it) age start? Wasn't the Modern age the bronze or another age? When was the Dark age? Never heard of that one. Also I prefer the current to be called the film age. Comics are and never were metals or minerals. lol

The bronze age began in the 70s with gwen stacys death. Comics were getting more dark and realistic, with speedy being an heroin addict for example

The dark age began in the mid 80s with dark knight returns, watchmen, swamp thing, animal man, sandman, hellblazer, etc. It continued its trend during the 90s with other kind of dark stuff like x-force or spawn. I think were still in the dark age, although some people call it the modern age now

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EmperorJosh

The Dark Age/Modern Age/CopperAge/Iron Age are all the same thing. And I would prefer that all ages remain named after minerals for traditions sake. Film can be associated with this new age though. For example, The Copper Age is one of the official names of this past age, and the Dark Age is a nickname. This Age should be something like the Brass Age(Officially) and the Film Age(Nickname). Thats just me though.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By the_tree

@EmperorJosh said:

@The_Tree said:

The Brass Age seemed fitting. I dont know, what would you call it...?

LOL. I don't know what I'd call it, I was just playing with you.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By colonyofcells

For dc, it is easy to start new ages based on Superman reboots and/or Flash reboots : 1938 superman is created and this starts the golden age. 1956 Barry Allen Flash is created and this starts the silver age. 1986 Superman is rebooted by John Byrne (COIE also ends in 1986) and this starts the Post COIE age. Barry Allen also dies in COIE to signal the end of the silver age. For most of the Post COIE age, Wally West was the Flash. 2011 Flashpoint ends and both Superman/Flash are rebooted and this starts the Post Flashpoint age and is advertised as the New 52 age.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MrShway88 said:

Dark/Iron/Modern-All the same age really, with the Dark Age some times referred to as a specific period of the Iron/Modern. For the most part, you can mark the end of certain ages with certain events. For example, the end of the Silver Age is usually considered to have happened with the snapping of a neck (Reference to the death of Gwen Stacy story line.) And that was the start of the Bronze Age, which is usually thought to have ended with Crisis on Infinite Earths when pretty much everything DC was rebooted. Then with the Dark Age you have Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen, and its pretty much agreed by everyone that those two kicked off the age.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheAgesOfSuperheroComics

^For more info. on the different ages.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.