Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

5 Least favourite Batman villains

• 92 results
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By entropy_aegis

We've done the favourite villains to death,now let's talk about the least liked.

I'll start

Proff Pyg:

I've loved Grant Morrisons run on Batman and many of the characters he's created like Damian and Micheal Lane but something about Pyg really makes my skin crawl.

Hush:

He simply sucks,Dini tried to do him justice and while the effort was commendable it just was'nt working.

Black Mask:

Unlikable character.

Two-face:

Love Harvey,hate Two-face.

Mr Freeze:

NOOOORRRRRAAAAAAA,God stop whining.

NOTE:This thread is'nt for arguments or discussions.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By cosmo111687

Professor Pyg and Doctor Hurt. I really enjoyed Grant Morrison's depiction of Joker in R. I. P and Batman & Robin, but I felt like Professor Pyg was a weak attempt at creating a creepy/whimsical villain akin to Mad Hatter or The Penguin but it just didn't work for me and I couldn't, for the life of me, feel scared of Doctor Hurt. The scariest thing about Hurt, for me, was the possibility of Grant Morrison ruining Thomas and Martha Wayne for me. And his death was kind of pathetic...

I know you won't like this at all, entropy_aegis, but Bane isn't my favourite villain either. After re-reading Knightfall, I realize that he isn't that clever, exactly (he simply blew up Arkham Asylum with a rocket launcher, let all the villains create chaos without much planning, and then when Bruce was too weak to defend himself, Bane cowardly attacked him.) There are certainly hints at his perceptiveness (recognizing that Jean-Paul wasn't Batman on sight and quietly meditating before the television) and he has had better stories since, but I felt that story in particular was really weak. And I'm really sick of the whole "Break The Bat" thing and variations thereof ("I will break you!", "I broke the bat, now I break the man!", etc. Just give us a break.)

The Joker. Before everybody has a heart attack, I specifically mean the version of The Joker in A Death In The Family. It's just absurd how they were all magically in Lebanon at the same time and Joker becoming the Ambassador of Iran at the end was the stupidest thing I've ever read. In everything else, I love him and think he's clearly the best Batman villain. But that was a low-point.

Most of Jeph Loeb's villains; except for Catwoman, Two-Face, and to a lesser extent, The Joker and Hush. The rest just prattled around and non-sensically recited nursery rhymes.

Comic version of Clayface. Clayface is one of those characters who is far better in the animated series than in comics.

Really, I'm kind of grasping at straws because I believe in most any character and think they all have potential and mainly I just criticize the things that I think should be improved upon.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By entropy_aegis

@cosmo111687: You wanna argue on PM's?

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Phaedrusgr

To be completely honest, I like almost all of his enemies. My only problem is that some writers don't know how to "use" them. Tell me something about Hush. You didn't enjoy Hush in his first appearance? At all? Now, if I really had to choose, I'd probably say something like that:

1. Mr. Freeze

2. Black Mask

3. Catman

4. Mad Hatter

5. Riddler

Avatar image for hatewhatispopular
    hatewhatispopular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By hatewhatispopular

@cosmo111687 said:

Professor Pyg and Doctor Hurt. I really enjoyed Grant Morrison's depiction of Joker in R. I. P and Batman & Robin, but I felt like Professor Pyg was a weak attempt at creating a creepy/whimsical villain akin to Mad Hatter or The Penguin but it just didn't work for me and I couldn't, for the life of me, feel scared of Doctor Hurt. The scariest thing about Hurt, for me, was the possibility of Grant Morrison ruining Thomas and Martha Wayne for me. And his death was kind of pathetic...

I know you won't like this at all, entropy_aegis, but Bane isn't my favourite villain either. After re-reading Knightfall, I realize that he isn't that clever, exactly (he simply blew up Arkham Asylum with a rocket launcher, let all the villains create chaos without much planning, and then when Bruce was too weak to defend himself, Bane cowardly attacked him.) There are certainly hints at his perceptiveness (recognizing that Jean-Paul wasn't Batman on sight and quietly meditating before the television) and he has had better stories since, but I felt that story in particular was really weak. And I'm really sick of the whole "Break The Bat" thing and variations thereof ("I will break you!", "I broke the bat, now I break the man!", etc. Just give us a break.)

The Joker. Before everybody has a heart attack, I specifically mean the version of The Joker in A Death In The Family. It's just absurd how they were all magically in Lebanon at the same time and Joker becoming the Ambassador of Iran at the end was the stupidest thing I've ever read. In everything else, I love him and think he's clearly the best Batman villain. But that was a low-point.

Most of Jeph Loeb's villains; except for Catwoman, Two-Face, and to a lesser extent, The Joker and Hush. The rest just prattled around and non-sensically recited nursery rhymes.

Comic version of Clayface. Clayface is one of those characters who is far better in the animated series than in comics.

Really, I'm kind of grasping at straws because I believe in most any character and think they all have potential and mainly I just criticize the things that I think should be improved upon.

AMEN. Bane basically jumped Batman. If that takes clever planning then bullies must be expert tacticians too.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Phaedrusgr: I would've enjoyed him more if he was an actual person in that story,as it stands he was simply an ID and ANYONE be it a new person or an old rogue could've been Hush.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By entropy_aegis

@hatewhatispopular: That's what Deathstroke and Prometheus were thinking when Batman jumped on them.And who say's bullies can't be expert tacticians? Doctor Doom,Red Skull,Sinestro,Lex etc they're all bullies.Infact every major villain is a bully.

Avatar image for hatewhatispopular
    hatewhatispopular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hatewhatispopular

@entropy_aegis said:

@hatewhatispopular: That's what Deathstroke and Prometheus were thinking when Batman jumped on them.

who'd he jump them with?

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By chalkshark
    1. Professor Hugo Strange-- Despite his presence in stories that were quite good, he himself bores me to tears. Always has.
    2. The Thief of Night--derivative stalker/rival tripe... Batman deserves better enemies.
    3. The Penguin-- his re-invention as a "kingpin" figure in Gotham's underworld is nothing less than brilliant, prior to that he's just a completely absurd "threat'.
    4. The Snowman-- Batman already had Mr. Freeze. An oversized Iceman rip-off was unnecessary
    5. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum-- one Lewis Carroll themed villain was more than enough
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By entropy_aegis

@chalkshark said:

1. Professor Hugo Strange-- Despite his presence in stories that were quite good, he himself bores me to tears. Always has.
    2. The Thief of Night--derivative stalker/rival tripe... Batman deserves better enemies.
    3. The Penguin-- his re-invention as a "kingpin" figure in Gotham's underworld is nothing less than brilliant, prior to that he's just a completely absurd "threat'.
    4. The Snowman-- Batman already had Mr. Freeze. An oversized Iceman rip-off was unnecessary
    5. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum-- one Lewis Carroll themed villain was more than enough

I actually think Snowman is more interesting than Freeze,weird lol.

And Thief of the Knight seems to be Hush done right,oh well I did enjoy the Nocturna stuff a lot.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By chalkshark

@entropy_aegis: Different strokes for different folks. The great thing about Batman's rogue's gallery is that there's someone for everyone.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By entropy_aegis

@chalkshark said:

@entropy_aegis: Different strokes for different folks. The great thing about Batman's rogue's gallery is that there's someone for everyone.

True.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@entropy_aegis: But that was exactly the reason, why he was a serious threat. He was an enemy, that managed to confuse Bruce. Anyway, I understand why you don't like him. Many people hated Hush (and Loeb too, lol), not me. But, as I said, I can't say I hate/dislike anyone from his gallery. It's the writing that I find annoying sometimes.

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Joelislegend

Hush after Dini overused him. Red Hood after Winnick brought him back at the end of Batman and Robin, as well as because of his awful spinoff. Those are pretty much my top 2 I find a bad villain that lasts 2 or 3 issues is less annoying than an overused villain that was cool when he was introduced but gets massacred by overuse.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By SoA

penguin- i just dont see him as a big enemy, he is to batman as the ringer was to spider-man

catwoman - again not a real enemy , she steals, he catches her, they flirt, repeat

i would say red hood as well because after the big shock of his return and fighting batman whats his purpose now?

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SoA: Red Hood branched off, so you pretty much got your wish. He might qualify as a frenemy, but it's very unlikely he would go toe to toe with Batman at this point.
    Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Joelislegend

Here's a crap villain... Absence... Bruce Wayne's angry ex with a hole in her head. Where to begin with this one...

No Caption Provided
    BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BatteredArmor

Ventriloquist

Tweedle Dee

Tweedle Dum

Mad Hatter

Catwoman (hate her the most)

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By kidchipotle

@Joelislegend said:

Here's a crap villain... Absence... Bruce Wayne's angry ex with a hole in her head. Where to begin with this one...

No Caption Provided

OMFG win right here. There were so many stupid new villains in the Batman & Robin run.... I HATE absence and Proff Pyg or whatever his name is.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20  Edited By RedOwl_1
    • Catman
    • Doctor Hurt
    • Hush (after Heart of Hush)
    • Mad Hatter
    • Clayface

No order

@Joelislegend: Yeah I remember that girl, very ironical

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By batkevin74

Just 5!!!

Okay let's start with 5: Abscence, Abattoir, Maxie Zeus, Corneilus Stirk and Mr ZZZ

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

And then there another annoying 5: Professor Pyg, That Shark Guy...Great White Shark Warren White, Orca (she's dead thankfully), The Condiment King and The Circus of Strange

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ComicStooge

In order: 5) Mad Hatter 4) Abscence 3) Professor Pyg 2) Jason Todd 1) Harley Quinn

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    Doctor Hurt
    Professor Pyg
    Absence
    Mad Hatter 
    Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
    Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Joelislegend

@batkevin74 said:

Just 5!!!

Okay let's start with 5: Abscence, Abattoir, Maxie Zeus, Corneilus Stirk and Mr ZZZ

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

And then there another annoying 5: Professor Pyg, That Shark Guy...Great White Shark Warren White, Orca (she's dead thankfully), The Condiment King and The Circus of Strange

Mr. ZZZ looks beyond epic. Where's he from??

Darthmat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By Darthmat

Zsasz is entirely unimaginative and bland. Boo.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#26  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Zsasz is the only one that I really hate.  

Actually, I hate all Alan Davis created Bat-characters. Anarky, Tally Man, Zsasz...

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Billy Batson

I like only a handful of the Bat villains. The rest are just meh.
    BB

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By entropy_aegis

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Zsasz is the only one that I really hate. Actually, I hate all Alan Davis created Bat-characters. Anarky, Tally Man, Zsasz...

You mean Alan Grant? he also created Cornelius Stirk and Amygadla.@Billy Batson said:

I like only a handful of the Bat villains. The rest are just meh.
    BB

Well then name the 5 ones you like lol.

I would also like to add that I have a love/hate relationship with Hush.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Video_Martian

1. Mr. Freeze

2. Mr. Freeze

3. Mr. Freeze

4. Mr. Freeze

5. Mr. Freeze

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Billy Batson

@entropy_aegis:

Joker
    Bane
    Dr. Strange
    Anarky :p
    the rest just fall in the meh category.
    I thought you hated Hush, lol.
    BB

GamerGeek360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By GamerGeek360

I like most of them. One I can't stand though is Mr. Freeze. I get it, you want to save your wife, but shut up! The way he was portrayed in Arkham City was cool but he just gets annoying. The rest of his villains don't bother me though, at least, not yet.

dub_step_masta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dub_step_masta

1)Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dumb 2) Hush 3)Ventriloquist 4) Zsaaz 5)Adam West I admit Adam West is a cop out, but seriously that series hurt batman more than any villain did. I'm surprised so many people don't like the Mr. Freeze, Catwoman, or Clayface. These are some of my favorite villains. They actually have a nice backstory, and are multi dimensional. Mad Hatter is a personal favorite, but I can see why many don't care for him, but these are all pretty tragic villains. It's pretty interesting to see the range of villains that have shown up on people's list. Great Post!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Billy Batson said:

@entropy_aegis:

Joker
    Bane
    Dr. Strange
    Anarky :p
    the rest just fall in the meh category.
    I thought you hated Hush, lol.
    BB

I do lol,but when I read Heart of Hush I see wasted potential.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Mbecks14

1. Penguin

2. Ventriloquist

3. Calendar Man

4. Kite Man

5. Crazy Quilt

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By Gambit1024

I thought I was the only one who hates Pyg. Glad to see I'm not alone.

Avatar image for theindigoeffect
    TheIndigoEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheIndigoEffect

1) The Condiment King was created for the sole purpose of comic relief, so when someone tells me that they hate him, I think they're missing the point of why he was created. 2) Also, Ventriloquist seems to garner quite a bit of hate, despite the fact that he has this really interesting character dynamic going on.

Who I hate, in no particular order:

Catwoman - Her ability as either villain or hero leaves something to be desired, and she constantly needs saving.

Penguin - Not menacing, barely relevant, and his bizarre fixation with birds and umbrellas make him more of a curiosity than a formidable opponent.

Riddler - Even Batman, in the pages of Hush, pointed out how routine it was to apprehend him and that he presented no real challenge.

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Nudeviking

I hate Joe Chill as anything other than a random mugger.

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ngroove

1. Abbatoir. Sick serial killer of own kin.

2. Obeah Man. Kidnapper, poisoner of Janet Drake.

3. Sewer King

....To tell the truth, everyone else ( including the new ones; Owls, Dollmaker, Nobody, ect), if I don't care for them, I'm don't buy, read those.

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ngroove

@chalkshark said:

5. Who's more than enough? Mad Hatter? Carpenter? Walrus? White Rabbit? The Tweeds came first, 1943, before the others, including Hatter, 1948.

battyfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By battyfan1

i really REALLY dislike Ras Al Ghul and Talia ........i never understood their appearances in comics nor liked any of their stories.......except son of the demon...cause i like Damian.....lols

Avatar image for marve1captaincarnage
    Marve1CaptainCarnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Phaedrusgr: WTF!?! are you kidding The Riddler is one of your least favorite villains? he's the best hes so insane but at the same time he is smart as hell and he always makes batman go all out to stop him he leaves riddles to tease batman into searching for him and save the day and every riddle is just a clue 2 another riddle and it really pisses batman off because he knows if he doesn't use every bit of brain power he has somebody might die in the most painful way possible

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ngroove

@Joelislegend said:

@batkevin74 said:

Just 5!!!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Mr. ZZZ looks beyond epic. Where's he from??

Mr. ZZZ, partner-in-crime with Little Italy, was a reccurring member of Gotham's Underworld during Paul Dini's Detective Comics / Streets of Gotham runs

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#43  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Signal man

Cluemaster (I mean, come on! he is just copying Riddler! the only good thing about him is his daughter!)

Egghead (come one! anyone who is prone to saying egg jokes is Egg-pecially terrible...I know I'm terrible) Of course I actully do like Vincet Price, so maybe I'll scratch that from my list...

I can't think of any other off the top of my head...

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ngroove

@FadeToBlackBoltsaid:

Zsasz is the only one that I really hate. Actually, I hate all Alan Davis created Bat-characters. Anarky, Tally Man, Zsasz...

Alan Davis...hmmm...Alan Davis...the only Davis-created Bat-Villains I can think of, really, was Joker's henchman Straight Line, and Reaper (Judson Caspian). Otherwise, Joker, Catwoman, Doctor Moon, Scarecrow, Mad Hatter, all pre-established...

:

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@Marve1CaptainCarnage: Well, if we add criminals like Catman or not well known guys like Superbadmanwhoisactuallynothingdangerous, then my answer changes, and I'd never say Riddler. But among his real enemies, I'm not that interested in Riddler. I understand that some of his stories are really great and I do want him as an enemy, but as I said he's my least favorite. Sorry...

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Deranged Midget

Least favourite? I don't hate them, but I'd just rather see someone else.

• Poison Ivy
    • Killer Croc
    • Mad Hatter
    fabe1089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fabe1089

I'd have to say any of the villians from the Batman live-action show, outside of the big 4.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By batshrine

My list (and disclaimer, I really like all of batman's villains but here are my few gripes):

1. Two-Face - Can be too gimmicky when not playing the whole harvey dent route.

2. Penguin - As a crime boss/social degenerate, love him, as a super villain that controls birds, eh not as much.

3. Joker - Overused...

TheBane2890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheBane2890

Not in any order, but the villains I hate the most would be; Bookworm, Hugo Strange, Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, & King Snake (to think that Bane (who is the greatest character ever invented in all of comics) spawned from this loser). Even with hating all these characters I still hate Jean-Paul Valley the most, and I can't stand Batman Inc. There are far too many Bats, and death (with no return) must befall most of those characters. Dick should go back to being a solo hero as Nightwing, Barbara can stay around, as well as Damian, and Tim should try solo but still stay close. All the others need to go, and Bane should be the one to finish them all off!

fabe1089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By fabe1089

@batshrine: The Joker?! You can't be serious.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.