Follow

"Batman" Year One

Story arc »

Frank Miller's reimagining of the Batman's first year in costume.

Batman: Year One gets new, inferior, reprint...

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    thephantomstranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Found this up on comics alliance: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/03/05/david-mazzucchelli-batman-year-one-reprint/

According to Mazzucchelli, the artist on year one, they've stripped all of the work that he and Dale Crain did for a previous printing and recolored it. Full quote bellow:

DC just sent me this book last week, and I really hope people don't buy it. I didn't even know they were making it, and I don't understand why they thought it was necessary - several years ago, DC asked me if I'd help put together a deluxe edition ofBatman: Year One, and Dale Crain and I worked for months to try to make a definitive version. Now whoever's in charge has thrown all that work in the garbage. First, they redesigned the cover, and recolored my artwork - probably to look more like their little DVD that came out last year; second, they printed the book on shiny paper, which was never a part of the original design, all the way back to the first hardcover in 1988; third - and worst - they printed the color from corrupted, out-of-focus digital files, completely obscuring all of Richmond's hand-painted work. Anybody who's already paid for this should send it back to DC and demand a refund.

Personally I thought the coloring done for Year One was amazing, especially considering the limitations that are detailed in the previous edition mentioned by Mazzucchelli.

What's your opinion?

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By _Zombie_

If what he's saying is true? I'm steering clear of it. I liked the animated movie adaptation, but this just sounds deplorable.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Video_Martian

What a waste...

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By RoboShark

As a fan you hate to hear this side of the bidness.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.