silkcuts's Batman: The Return #1 - Planet Gotham review

• silkcuts wrote this review on .
  • silkcuts has written a total of 726 reviews. The last one was for

"I've seen the Future and it works."

*Very short review* "A MUST!" 5 out of 5 Stars.

Real review:

There are a lot of people who reviewed this issue.  All of them have valid reasons to tell you what they have told you and it is up to you to agree or disagree.  One comment that I would like to look into detail is this being a "jump in point".

On a superficial level, yes, jump in.  This is a "zero" to Batman Inc or we can just call it a one-shot to play it safe.  It is "The End" of one Chapter and the "Beginning of another".  Being the sly and clever guy Grant Morrison is, I know what he is up to now.  I love it and I'll tell you why.  Grant Morrison is reestablishing Batman by reworking everything Batman: History, characters, "Symbol", M.O.... everything.  Grant Morrison has done his research and recently G-Man's 3- Minute Expert: Secret of the Batcave gave us a lot of info of the stuff  we may have not picked up that Grant is flooding into his Bat Books.  Grant Morrison has summed up what makes Batman and now refines him, while highlighting all the history. All the facts. Adding a layer each arc.

Möbius strip
The Image to the left is a  Möbius strip or Möbius band. For those who don't know what that is, dictionary.com defines it as:
–noun Geometry . a continuous, one-sided surface formed by twisting one end of a rectangular strip through 180° about the longitudinal axis of the strip and attaching this end to the other.

A Möbius strip in simple terms is a looping track.  A continuous cycle without an end.  If we were to mark a "Start" point, being where ever you like in Batman history.  That point will loop around again. "History" is repeating each time it comes to that line and another lap begins again.  In The Return of Bruce Wayne reviews I referred to this as the fourth dimension. History repeating it self, in closer intervals each time. This is what Grant Morrison is doing with Batman, he has placed Batman's universe in a Möbius strip.  The Return of Bruce Wayne was really another lap finishing. This comic is the actual threshold between the events that started in Batman #663 (or The Batman and Son trade for the trade readers) to right before Batman becomes Batman Inc. With Batman Inc, it is another lap beginning.  Grant Morrison is such a great writer, he can do this forever.  This is The Invisibles formula but cleaner and mainstream.  Two giveaways hints I found that Grant Morrison is having fun with us is he starts this comic how Batman began, (1) inspired by the Bat at night.  Even paying homage to Frank Miller with "the bats of Gotham bigger and more vicious looking". (2) The second comment is on page 27, Frame 4,  we see Bruce affectionately talking to Alfred: Bruce (bubble 3) "At the BEGINNING of something and not the END.   Grant Morrison is joking with us.  The man is a genius.

Batman and Robin #6
 Purple Rain Album Cover
If Grant Morrison's Batman run really is this endless loop.  This really is not a true jump in point. A superficial one for sure, but new readers will miss a lot, since his run "incorporates" ALL OF "BATMAN". The real jump in point is Frank Miller's Year One and hope everything you know helps you understand what Morrison is really doing.

The supernatural stories are likely going to slow down and the High-Tech Marvel level pyrotechnics will start (Hence David Finch jumping on board), but the level of depth never changed.  Grant Morrison has just added more depth if anything.  He has added a Batman universe where B&R can fly around like Iron Man.  I wonder if Grant Morrison also listened to Prince's 1989 Batman Soundtrack. There is a song called "The Future" ( HERE is a link to Youtube remix of the song since Prince forbids the soundtrack version. I think the Lyrics are dead on). On the cover of Batman and Robin #6, it is a homage to Prince's Purple Rain. All that Prince talk is just food for thought. I am convinced that Morrison even weaves in the classic comics and movies into his Batman history. The 12-13 splash page makes the the key trophies (Coin, Card and Dino) Canon again as an example. Morrison is just snowballing the history with each lap. The more you know overall the better his Batman stories are.  This is why it is fair to call this a jump on, but it is better to read as much of Bats as you can along the way. The Grant Morrison run is a good read that has many layers.  It takes effort to get to the inner layers.

* Side prediction: The Heretic character is "Little Wayne" I mean Damian from the future. Page 23: Frame 2: Heretic "...you will know me".  He looks like a Bat and little Wayne will one day be Bats.  If this is that 4th D or Möbius strip stuff, then to me that is the next logical progression.  If I am wrong, which I am likely, I am cool with that. I want surprise and excitement. If I am right, then I love it! "I see the future and it works".

The comic ends off like the "zero" to anything Bat related, this is why I think DC called it a "one-shot" instead of a "Zero".  Part of the reason why its hard to see Morrison's real Magick, is because of all the fluff like Road Home.  I just buy only Bat books with Morrison's name on it and that works for me.

I loved the special features in this comic.  Scripts, covers, pencils, inks, character designs, great stuff.  I am a huge fan of the scripts since it really shows how much quality is in Morrison's scripts, only Alan Moore has more elaborate scripts.  Study those scripts and you are guaranteed to be a better comic creator.

This issue becomes the next "Guide" book.  The direction Morrison is taking Batman now, this book is key and that is what makes it a must. 5 out 5 Stars ***** A Must!
Posted by turoksonofstone

@turoksonofstone said:
" Fantastic review! Nice thorough analysis. Makes me want to read this, which I will. "
Your approval and the comment reassures me that I am more proud of this review then the Batwoman: Elegy review I did.  I wonder if I can get the same support?

Thanks for the recommendation. When you read it we can talk more about it
Edited by J1ml33

you really out did your self again and kept  review more insightful ,smart and interesting as possible while adding in the details that most others would overlook while reviewing a multi layered work such as this .  while as you know that Grant Morrison is one of my favorite writers currently working to expand an 70+year characters mythology  and your covering the work in progress too then  I am excited to hear all your ideals on the subject in question . from what you have noted above it is a little bit of a cryptic teaser for batman Incorporated but it is so much more ,in a way it reminds me of new x-men , a bold new direction for the title character and to tell you the truth I  am glad to be on for the ride and thank you for such a review and I hope Grant Morrison continues to add new layers to the dark knight and all for the better so cheers to you  !   p.s when are you going to review batman incorporated #1   just a thought from a admirer of Morrison`s

Posted by The Mighty Monarch

Wow, this was more than just a review, this was practically an essay. Brilliant work here, this was phenomenal.
Thought I must say Paul Dini bat titles are also extremely worth reading for different reasons. He's doing a fantastic job on Streets of Gotham.

Edited by chipsnopotatoes

Are you reviewing Inc as well? If so, look forward to reading it.

@chipsnopotatoes:   Thanks :D
I read issue #1, enjoyed it a who lot.
I may go the "occult" route like I did with the Return of Bruce Wayne review, I have yet to decide if I want to since there are a lot of people reviewing the issue anyway.
A little tip for Inc. 1, there is a connection between the monster at the end and the Leviathan group. Grant Morrison is putting everything there in his books on purpose.  It is now a game with him and I love it :D

@The Mighty Monarch:  I'm only reading Streets in Trade and I wonder how much influence Grant has on it, since Grant is spearheading it.
Edited by Silkcuts
@J1ml33:  Thanks again for all the support dear friend.  Like I mentioned in an earlier reply, I was not going to review it originally since "everyone reviewed it" and those guys never talk about it with me anyway, so it feels like I come off as "I am smarter then you and that is why you don't like me", which I hope its not, since I think you can defend me, I am a nice guy.  Or it is that they don't care what I have to say, which is sad to me, since I read theirs.

Your right to compare this series to New X-Men, new X-men was where Grant was fine tuning what he learned doing The Invisibles, Batman is "Evolving" and same with Grant.  This level of analytical comics is why I love Alan Moore, Alan Moore was the first to really set the Standard, Morrison is lucky he has the talent and the respect to do this on big books like Batman and X-men.  So the product is a good story on the surface, even better the deeper you go into it.

I wonder how close is my "little Wayne" guess.  Here is the cryptic tip for you.
thanks again for all the support :D
Here's to "6pack"!
- your buddy Silkcuts
Edited by johnny_spam

A great introduction to the current Batman era the evolution of Batman is very clear in this story he is clear and focused and not angst ridden or angry something I hope other writers even Finch note. Some have thought the line about the "old bastard bat" was a shot on the popular violent Batman in Dark Knight Returns. Even the fact that the bat he sees is the same one from when he was a child is a cool gem. Just like Batman and Robin or way back in Batman and Son the story starts off slow with little pieces that will soon culminate in something big it's already been teased this arc will last till 2012 so Leviathan and the world wide network of Bat heroes will seem to have some consequence.

What's interesting is people who are not the big Morrison fans liked these new issues and hardcore fans were not that impressed.

Posted by No_Name_
@chipsnopotatoes said:
" Very impressive. Appreciate the effort you took to compare his history to a Mobius strip. Looks to be really exciting times ahead.  Are you reviewing Inc as well? If so, look forward to reading it. "
Really well thought out analysis! Very well written!
Posted by Silkcuts
@johnny spam:  the whole 2012 thing I think is part of the invisibles stuff.  Since even back when he started the Invisibles he was talking about 2012.

I am loving this Batman stuff and I am sure we will have more convos about it later on.
@Babs:  Thanks again :D
Posted by caesarsghost

good job again, I liked the mobius strip analogy (and yeah, it is plenty clear- even for Batman novices, such as myself). Bravo.
Edited by Silkcuts
@caesarsghost:  I am glad it was not too cluttered with different concepts.  I am glad it is understandable to novices :D

Thanks again for all the support.
Posted by Krakoa

@Krakoa said:
" You've really outdone yourself this time around. Blending metaphysics and pop culture to take an accurate snapshot of arguably the boldest run we've seen on a comic in a while. I'm going to end up buying all the backissues (archaic as it may be) and just curling up and reading them as a single cohesive epic. Thanks in part to your insightful interpretations I will approach Morrison's work with an open third eye.  "
I am glad you liked this review and it is very kind what you said.
Morrison's run is very bold and it is better quality then most of Vertigo... if not all right now, Vertigo was the analytical imprint, but with Grant bring Batman to classic Vertigo level, I get to talk about this stuff in a mainstream comic and it excites me.
Posted by Jotham

Nice job, man. I never noticed what that cover with the Flamingo was referring to, that's pretty sly. Good analysis of the cyclical way Morrison is treating Batman.

Posted by Silkcuts
@Jotham:  I am a long time Prince fan, I booked it when I saw the solicit. I am glad you liked it :D
Posted by Liberty

Great review as always my friend.  You outdid yourself here.

Posted by haydenclaireheroes

congratulations of the featured review

Posted by Duo_forbidden

Also, congrats on the featured review!

Posted by Amegashita

@Liberty said:
" Great review as always my friend.  You outdid yourself here. "
Thank you sir :D  Those kind words mean a lot.

@haydenclaireheroes said:
" congratulations of the featured review "

Thanks :D

@Duo_forbidden said:
" Well written review. I try not to think so hard when it comes to Morrison's style of writing, and just try to focus on the main points.   Also, congrats on the featured review! "

Thanks my friend, Morrison't books are one of the few out where my mind can really work.  It's the Vertigo fan in me.  Comics have unlimited potential and comics like this Batman run are pushing the medium and I love it.  I don't blame you on the focus on the main points stuff, as long as the story makes sense at the end, doesn't matter how you get there.
@Amegashita said:
"   Your review is awesome and almost made me want to read some DC stuff... but I swore off it until Billy has his return.  >...> "
You can still be STRONG MY FRIEND.  I am weaker then you that way, DC has done a lot of wrongs to me this year, a few rights as well... such as making it a great John Constantine year, but a lot of bad too, such as made cancellations and killing Wildstorm.  I don't blame you for the boycott, that is what makes me more thankful for your kind words and your support. Glad you enjoyed it :D

If only Morrison would like write Billy already.
Edited by Amegashita
@Silkcuts said:

" If only Morrison would like write Billy already. Cheers - Silkcuts "

@Amegashita said:
" @Silkcuts said:

" If only Morrison would like write Billy already. Cheers - Silkcuts "

2011 seems so far away =[.  I'll definitely be the first to reveiw "Thunder World" .  Most definitely. "
:D
Posted by SUPER-MAN 23

Wow totally awesome. This is surely your best review yet!

@SUPER-MAN 23 said:
" Wow totally awesome. This is surely your best review yet! "
Thanks :D  I am really proud of it, I am more proud of this one then the Batwoman: Elegy one I wrote.
Posted by SUPER-MAN 23
@Silkcuts:
@SUPER-MAN 23 said:
" @Silkcuts:  Yeah I like this review more than the Batwoman Review. I'm still glad that your still reviewing comics. Instead of retiring. If you did, no one would read this amazing Review!  "
You are too kind sir.  I am glad people like you read them :D
Hopefully I have a few more of these in me.

As for retiring, not sure why I continued reviewing as long as I have, after writing this I was like Oh great... I can't stop at a solid number of 380 if I just wrote about a continuous loop...lol.  I have tried writing blogs, but they just don't seem to get the same attention.  What do you think, I leave the monthly Bat Inc. books to guys like you for reviewing and start of blog of discussion so we all can point things out to each other?
Posted by RYU/BATMAN

@RYU/BATMAN said:
" >Mouth Drop< (AMAZED). How long have you actually been doing these. I saw this at the featured review section of comicvine, and I saw it. this is cool, you got any practice? "
Thanks for the kind words.  I've always had an analytical thought process, from my teenage till now I love to discuss the symbolization and meaning of things, I guess it came from that need to find my purpose in the universe.  Over the years I guess I also read the right things.  I give tribute to Alan Moore, because like all other writers who love him, he really is the greatest.  The man was the first to make comics more then just pictures and words.  Then guys like Grant and gaiman came a long and helped push the medium even more with early Vertigo.

This is why I had to use Silkcuts as a screename.  It does have an acrostics meaning as well, but that is not important to the story.  Silkcuts is a tribute to John Constantine (Hellblazer).  It is Vertigo's flagship and is the reason I still read comics.  If DC would to cancel it, odds are they cancel my relationship with them.... okay that is a lie, Morrison still writing for them would get me to read it... but it would be cut down in total titles I tell you!  Oh, back to John.  John was created by Alan Moore in Swamp Thing, and Silkcuts is a trademark of John.  So it is a nod to a lot of things.

If I remember correctly I've been featured a times, some of them were utter garbage and I am honored they featured them anyway.  As for practice, each review is a practice.  I try to do something different when I review.  Not hating on anyone else's style, I just play around with things till I more or less like what is happening.  A review like this, things just fell into place, like my Batwoman: Elegy review. It is that Synchronicity relationship I have with Constantine. Some highlighted reviews and personal faves I linked in a blog ( HERE). That blog is out dated since it stopped at the 250 mark.

Sorry for the long reply, your comment was so pleasant I felt I should make it personal of a response.

Posted by FadeToBlackBolt

@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" Another brilliant review, mate. Morrison's Batman is, screw it, I'm going to say it, the best run ever. It's layered beyond anything else that has come before it in the medium. I loved the opening as well. I had tears in my eyes by the fourth page I was loving the issue that much. "
There is not enough of us who really appreciate everything he is doing.  You can see the love of the character and the history in his effort and to ignore his efforts is almost like ignoring What truly is Batman.

The opening was great, loved it!  Him an Finch Nailed it.

This Batman Run is not even done and its Legendary.

Thanks again for the kind words and the support.
Posted by J1ml33
@Silkcuts:  and to note this guy is a nice guy by the way .
@J1ml33 said:
" @Silkcuts:  and to note this guy is a nice guy by the way .  "
???? Grant Morrison, you met our hero Grant?
Posted by Lvenger

@Lvenger said:

" Interesting take. Never thought to look at this issue in such an intricate and philosophical way. Learn something new every day I guess... "

That is where Grant Morrison is losing fans.  A lot of Batman fans were not Vertigo fans.  And what I mean by Vertigo, I mean old school layered Vertigo.  Comic have been layered by certain writers since the 80s, but most fans don't approach comics like books, so that is why there is the separation.

I am a fan of the "graphic novel" and less of just "comics".  I hope you enjoyed the read, I had fun writing it.

Posted by Renee

Congrats on another featured, amazing, and well written review! :)

@Renee said:
" Congrats on another featured, amazing, and well written review! :) "
Thanks :D
Posted by Raul_The_Man

@Raul_The_Man said:
" Great review. It does a good job of explaining the many depths of Morrison's story takes. I totally aggree with the 5 out of 5 score. "
thanks :D
Posted by spawn devil

Amazing review, keep up the good work, pal.

@spawn devil said:
" Amazing review, keep up the good work, pal. "
thanks buddy :D