jlat89's Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #2 - Until the End of Time review

"Until the end of time."

Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #2.  In the second installment of the 6 part return, Bruce arrives in Puritan Gotham City, as his adventures continue towards, hopefully, his return as Batman.  Also the heroes seen at the end of the last issue take a more prominent role in their search for Bruce.

What You Need To Know.

Bruce Wayne was sent back in time, thanks to Darkseid at the end of Final Crisis.  Somehow Bruce wound up at the beginning of mankind, where he fought until an eclipse brought him to Puritan Gotham.  A Special Team has been organized to find Bruce, but they claim that if he survives the future is doomed.

The Good.

Although confusing at points, I trust that by the end of the series it will make sense, or hope at least it will.  Grant Morrison continues his tale that is said to rebuild the hero to what we all know and love. A second read through made more sense to me, specifically the one scene involving the rescue squad and a certain character.
We see Bruce using detective skills, helping a Puritan Gotham against "witches" and "devils."
References to the portrait and the book seen in Batman and Robin, though not explained.
A familiar looking location seen in Batman and Robin.
There is a scene where the reader becomes slightly aware of why Darkseid used the Omega Sanction on Bruce, something that's going to make this story very interesting for not only Bruce but the rest of his supporting cast.

The Bad.

I was not a fan of the art or the colorings at all, something I fear will hinder this series greatly.  I don't see why there couldn't have been 1 or 2 artists of similar style instead of 6.
I suggest you read this more than once before passing opinion, you might overlook a key scene.

The Verdict.

The second is better than the first one, it's an easier story to read because of the lack of Caveman language and deciphering.  Grant Morrison obviously has a plan and direction, so the fact that you don't know everything that's going on is a good thing.  I don't want to know all the details before reading the whole series.  Again, the art problem isn't helping it, but if you're a fan of the writer, you probably can overlook it.  If you're a Batman fan, and by Batman I mean Bruce Wayne, then you're going to want to pick up this series, although it might be better fit for casual readers when it comes out in TPB.  It definitely keeps you interested if for nothing else the confusion.

4/5