dmkicksballs13's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1 - TPB review

It's Easy to Be Different, It's Hard to Be Better

I have a couple of problems with The Dark Knight Returns. The first being (and this goes along with all Miller stories) there is very little dialogue. But the major problem is the storytelling, Miller seems to be so obsessed with the feelings of Batman that he forgets he's writing a comic book. Most of the novel is just a set-up for disappointment. For instance take the Joker storyline. The Joker's rehabilitation is set up throughout the first two issues but only 5 pages are dedicated to a very weak battle between himself and Batman. This also occurs with Two-Face. I also really don't like the idea the the entire novel is incoherent in plot. The plot becomes so muddled and confusing that the majority of dialogue comes from news bulletins, just so the reader can maintain some sort of correlation among what is happening. I understand what Miller is trying to do, but it just doesn't fit the comic book world. He wants to make a movie, not a comic.

Other reviews for Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1 - TPB

Awesome take on one of the greatest comic-book characters of all time 0

Before Frank Miller wrote Sin City and started to suck, he was famous for his run on Marvel's Daredevil and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.The story is about an old Bruce Wayne becoming Batman again but he soon comes face-to-face with not only the Mutant gang but The Joker and Two-Face as well. Pro's:- The art is great because it capture's the tone of the graphic novel and I like how Frank Miller uses the colors.- The plot is interesting because you have Batman who's fighting crime again despi...

Written in 1986 you say? 0

Yowzah. Sometimes a "classic" has its positive reputation for good reason. This is one of those times. I'm not saying this is the best story I've ever read, but it was pretty good - aside from all the violence and language and whatnot, perhaps somewhat typical of Frank Miller. The pacing is impressive, especially considering the layers upon layers of intersecting stories, subplots, and characters weaving in and out of focus. The addition of the new enemies makes sense for a story a decade or so ...