daltonmunnal's Batman: The Court of Owls #1 - Volume One review

• daltonmunnal wrote this review on .
  • daltonmunnal has written a total of 4 reviews. The last one was for HC

Batman, Vol. 1: The Court of Owls

This was the first DC Comics title that I’ve ever read, and it has done a fantastic job introducing me to the world of Gotham.

The story unfortunately opens up with some completely unnecessary scenes with classic Batman villains, as well as the family of Robins who never end up being relevant. I had assumed that the villain of this book would be somebody who is well known to the general public to help ease us new readers into New 52, but the Court of Owls are just as interesting, if not more so, than most familiar bat characters I could have expected. The Court of Owls is a secret society of assassin’s, and a thing of legend until Bruce discovers that they really do exist, and that there are plenty of things he still has to learn about his city of Gotham.

It is a little convenient that this society that existed long before Batman turns out to be represented by a natural enemy of bats, but none the less, it leads to some exciting imagery. Batman is commonly known in modern times to be a dark or “gritty” character, but I have to say this was so much more than I was expecting. Whether the story sounds exciting to you or not, this is worth reading just to watch the art as the owls slowly drive Bruce insane.

The story does not end here, and I am left excited to read Vol. 2: The City of Owls, as well as the Night of The Owls crossover event.

Please read more on my personal comic review page. http://daltonmunnal.tumblr.com/