gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

This book has such a surreal feel to it. There's something about seeing the regular and Earth 2 versions of Superman and Batman meet. Of course with Jae Lee's art, it adds to that feel. The foe they are up against had a strange nature that fits in with this vibe.

Greg Pak is crafting quite an interesting tale. With the story taking place in their younger days, it's really keeping us on our toes as we try to see how this will fit in overall and witness each new development among everyone present. We've seen many stories in the past with regular and alternate versions of characters meeting but there's such a grand feeling with this story. It feels like there is a lot riding on the outcome of their battle and tease of a certain other foe that has caused problems for both worlds shortly after this time period.

Yildiray Cinar's art provides a look back at some of the relationship between the Earth 2 Batman and Superman. Pak gives us a great flashback. As I said after reading EARTH 2 #1, I do want to see more of this version of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

The Bad

There are still some parts that feel a tiny bit odd. Some of the flow mixed with Lee's surreal-feeling art feels off a little. Lee's art is wonderful but the backgrounds also adds a strange and almost empty feel.

It's a little weird seeing the background on Earth 2 Batman and Superman here instead of in EARTH 2. But I'll take it where I can get it.

The Verdict

This is such a gorgeous book. For a story not set in the New 52 world (at least this and last issue), Jae Lee's art does wonders. Seeing our version of Batman and Superman (or at least younger versions) interacting with the Earth 2 characters is strange and completely fascinating. Greg Pak does a superb job in showing and explaining the relationship between the Earth 2 versions of Batman and Superman with Yildiray Cinar's art. I'm not really sure where this story is going to go or how it will end but I'm totally okay with that. This is a series you just become immersed in and nothing else matters. I can't wait for the next issue.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Really enjoying this series! Jae Lees art had really grown on me.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By manwithoutshame

What does Jae Lee have against drawing backgrounds? Still good though.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By lifeboy

I liked the part in issue 2 where our supes points out to earth2 supes that he is married to lois. And then lois asks our supes who he's dating and then big beautiful Wondy arrives out of the sky on a flying horse.

So yup, im getting issue 3.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for Action Comics.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

wish that they would make an Earth 2 book set before the deaths of their Trinity focusing on their Trinity

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Does anyone else agree with me that the Earth 2 Batman and Superman are far more interesting and likeable then there New Earth counterparts.

shusho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shusho

Although, yes, the art is gorgeous, I think that sometimes, with that much shading, I get confused about which character is who, like, is that young or old Kal? And since Batman is always drawn in silouette it's hard in some panels to differentiate between young and old Bruce.

I like Lee's art, but... I'm not sure this is the right book for it, honestly.

VaizD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By VaizD

Does anyone else agree with me that the Earth 2 Batman and Superman are far more interesting and likeable then there New Earth counterparts.

Most definitely. They're older, more level headed, more pre-new-52-ish versions of Bats and Supes. I love the moment of them shutting their younger selves up because 'the grownups are talking'. Plus, I really dig Earth 2 Batman's costume, and have since DCnU's Earth 2 was first revealed.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A loved the Idea of Earth 2 pre new 52 a happier place where the stories did not have to be so dark all the time one of the reasons I am loving this book as it seems like a throw back to that.

alex1321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a little confused. Which Superman is the Superman of Earth 2 and which one is married to Lois?

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alex1321: superman with the t-shirt in the jean is earth prime the other one is marry to lois

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@alex1321: Earth 2 is the one with the full suit, he is also the one married to lois.

alex1321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By alex1321

@darknightspideyfanboy and @patrat18 thank you. This book will make much more sense to me now

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@vaizd: They fell like what the Pre-New 52 Batman and Superman would of become and I do love there costumes.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JamDamage

the art is just so gorgeous. Sure he doesn't draw a lot of backgrounds, but that's actually okay. It forces me to pay more attention to the character drawings and they are outstanding. love it. the story is good too.

Avatar image for sleepbutnodream15
    Sleepbutnodream15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

I love the direction Pak is taking this book. Jae Lee's art alone makes it worth the read.

Anyone else notice how Wonder Woman had her ass in young Superman's face like 3 times?

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By PeppeyHare

Loving this book. Earth 2 trinity is awesome

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Bring on Darkseid,the real Darkseid not Johns lame Darkseid(which should be retconned in to an avatar immediately)

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

greg Pak is boss. really Enjoyed this on. and i love that the story has layers which are shown each issue :)

The art does wonders in advancing the story. It's honestly one of my favourite things about this title. There are panels where dialogue isn't even needed to explain what is going on.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Deranged Midget

@deranged_midget said:

@theacidskull said:

greg Pak is boss. really Enjoyed this on. and i love that the story has layers which are shown each issue :)

The art does wonders in advancing the story. It's honestly one of my favourite things about this title. There are panels where dialogue isn't even needed to explain what is going on.

yes, like superman being in the dark O_O, which shows how angry he is

The only problem I probably had was that it was a little hard to distinguish between the characters at times(younger and older versions) without getting a full view of their costumes.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Deranged Midget

yeah. that and the hints for the ww/supes relationship >_>, but hey, pak is trying to be consistent.

I kind of just ignored that and thought Pak played it off as just some cheeky humour :P Oh and my favourite thing about the issue?

I LOVED how Earth 2 Clark and Bruce met as children and grew their incredible friendship from the start. It really brings them closer together and I wish that the New 52 was similar but at the same time, it's interesting to see how two men of their stature and at their age, become the closest of friends with such different perspectives on the world.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@theacidskull said:

yeah. that and the hints for the ww/supes relationship >_>, but hey, pak is trying to be consistent.

I kind of just ignored that and thought Pak played it off as just some cheeky humour :P Oh and my favourite thing about the issue?

I LOVED how Earth 2 Clark and Bruce met as children and grew their incredible friendship from the start. It really brings them closer together and I wish that the New 52 was similar but at the same time, it's interesting to see how two men of their stature and at their age, become the closest of friends with such different perspectives on the world.

I didn't like how Earth 2 Clark and Bruce met early in their childhood. Not because of how it was handled (it was handled excellently) but that it feels contrived to me for heroes to miraculously meet each other in their youth and form bonds and all that. It doesn't sit well with me and I'm glad the park scene was the actual first New 52 meeting of Batman and Superman. But aside from that, this was a really great issue!

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Deranged Midget

@deranged_midget: i loved that, greg Pak did an amazing Job and it showcased the contrast between two characters, even as youngsters :P

Indeed! I'm curious to how long he'll be writing the younger versions of Superman and Batman before he moves on to present day.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@deranged_midget said:

@theacidskull said:

I didn't like how Earth 2 Clark and Bruce met early in their childhood. Not because of how it was handled (it was handled excellently) but that it feels contrived to me for heroes to miraculously meet each other in their youth and form bonds and all that. It doesn't sit well with me and I'm glad the park scene was the actual first New 52 meeting of Batman and Superman. But aside from that, this was a really great issue!

I think that's the point of a parallel universe mate, to see how events would have unfolded differently if a certain aspect was changed or altered in some way or another. I thought it was a perfect counter balance to how Earth One and Pre-52 ended up for that matter!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I think that's the point of a parallel universe mate, to see how events would have unfolded differently if a certain aspect was changed or altered in some way or another. I thought it was a perfect counter balance to how Earth One and Pre-52 ended up for that matter!

That's why I like it in the end. Because it isn't part of the Earth One canon. And I did say that I enjoyed it mate for the obvious Pre Flashpoint similarities :)

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought issue 1 and 2 of this, but I'm really not sure about it now. I've transferred my Superman allegiance to unchained, although I may be back before Issue 4!

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

That's why I like it in the end. Because it isn't part of the Earth One canon. And I did say that I enjoyed it mate for the obvious Pre Flashpoint similarities :)

I do agree with you though, I prefer the way Earth One Clark and Bruce meet, both pre and post 52. It's so much more enticing to see two men, so vastly different come to terms and form such an unbreakable friendship.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_stegman  Moderator

I agree with @g_man, this is one of the best titles out right now, plus I love the call back to "When Clark met Bruce"

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tomtomiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this issue, and despite my early misgivings I love this series. My favorite of the 3 has to be last issue though. Sure the stuff with Martha Kent was too sappy, but I LOVED earth 2 Superman putting new52 superman in his place. Just awesome.

I agree the art is a bit too artsy at times, but the story MORE than makes up for it.

z1co80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Really enjoying this book.

The art is fantastic and it really sets the mood of each scene.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Picked this up finally and I was not disappointed. Read all 3 issues and now I am eager for the next.

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the part how Eart two Supse meets earth two bats when they where kids.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.