theacidskull's Batman/Superman #2 - Doubletime review

NO MERCY !

Last time this issue concluded was with The Trickster leaving batman and superman at a very bad position this issue we get to see some things explained.

Let me start by saying that i adored this issue, it's not perfect by all means, but it's still well written. The first thing, as always, is the art. I've never really appreciated Jae lees art, sure it's pretty pictures, but i never realized how great of a story teller he really is. There are two main characters here ( DUH), Batman and Superman, and for the most time of the story they remain apart from one another, and the atmosphere around them is very well structured artistically. Around superman, there is a sunny background, a more of "hope" simple for the man of steel, while as for batman, the area is dark and gritty, and it screams "Batman" more than the character does.

As for the writing, i loved it, but it's not without some problems. Batman characterization was near perfect, it's that sinister/hero mixture that has been missing from the current bat books, i was a little skeptical about it, but when the two different batmen meet, the few panel clash is extremely interesting, both of them know each others tricks, and as one thinks of a move, the other one thinks of countering it, and the whole experience is awesome. Catwoman is also extremely well written as well, she has her playful,cocky, fun personality , which is exactly how it should be mind you.

Now the Only problem( not Exactly a problem) was the young superman. while i Understand that this all to much for the man of steel, being taken to a new world, seeing his dead parent, and also having some guy in a bat suit show concern for him, but acting so uncontrollably seemed way out of character, but in contrast pak does show that this is only because of the current events and the fact that he is very young, since the earth two superman is exactly what Kal grows up to be, calm, well-mannered, concerned and very nice. However it still Irked me that Superman reacted in such an angry manner, there is a big difference in Cocky and angry. Now Back to The positive side, There is also a parallel Shown here, the earth two superman can fly, and the original cannot, i can't say for sure, but this seems to imply that the New Earth Clark isn't ready to be superman just yet, and when he does become THE man of steel, he will be able to "fly"( becoming the symbol of hope).

The story unfold slowly, which is better in My Opinion, because it shows that there are more layers to be explored. For example The Trickster, who in My opinion is a pretty interesting villain, yet, i don't know all of his tricks, though we got some interesting View on some of her abilities. For one Thing she is a great actor, and she can shape shift into others. She made a great Lois Lane, if she hand't been revealed as who she truly is, i would have never guessed. But this is where the "WHA?" moment comes in. There is something One of the characters does here which really puts things in question. I will reserve my judgment until the next issue comes out, and see if things are explained there.

All in all, this was a great issue IMO, and i Hope the quality does not fall.

4/5

Recommendation: yes

Posted by PunyParker

You are good.

Posted by Lvenger

An impressively fair review mate that gives a comprehensive breakdown of how events play out in this issue. I still have yet to be sold on Jae Lee's awkward art but I prioritise story above art. Awesome review mate!

@lvenger said:

Thanks man :P

Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Great review loved this issue too. Although I still don't like Jae Lee's art it's better in this book than his other one's. Pak is doing some great stuff on this book which makes me even more excited for when he jumps on to Action Comics with issue 25.

Posted by Raw_Material

Nice review man

Edited by Cyclops4President

good review. I will have mine posted shortly. Very good issue.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

Great review mate. I really enjoyed this issue (though not quite as much as the last).

Posted by TheAcidSkull

thanks man! and i'm interested in hearing your thoughst

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@theacidskull: I don't know if I'll be doing a review (maybe at a later date) due to my stuff being late this week. I did however love seeing the interaction between the Supermen and Batmen of both world, and also find this Trickster to be interesting. I also loved how both sets of Supermen, and Batmen acted differently due to the age difference besides the fact they're slightly different anyway.

Edited by TheAcidSkull