capn_carrot's Batman/Superman #1 - Cross World review

WTF was DC thinking with this one?

I'm seeing glowing reviews for this comic and simply don't get it.Writer Gre Pak’s Batman/Superman #1 is a confusing tale that doesn't seem to fit anywhere in DC’s current New 52 storyline. It seems DC is already reconning New 52 events as this comic give us the first meeting between Batman and Superman (which New 52 already took place in Justice League).

Don't get me wrong, the art is pretty and I like how Greg Pak gives us both Superman and Batman's opposing views on the same events. However, the logic of the issue makes no sense! The scene between Clark and Bruce is unnecessary, and poorly thought-out (what is Bruce Wayne doing in this scene, exactly?). The first battle between Batman and Superman works better... until all the sudden they are fighting in Smallville and suddenly know each other (Batman has Kryptonite, knows Superman's new costume, appears to be friends, etc.)??? The more I re-read this the less sense it seemed to make (which when you think about it is freakin' amazing as it makes no sense the first time)!

You can find more of my reviews (with images) on RazorFine Reviews

Posted by TheAcidSkull

I Disagree with this.

I can Explain anything you want from this issue.

Bruce wayne was in the park clearly under cover to get street wise, he just happen to stumble upon some kids fighting. He even says i WON'T Break character

Catwoman Was possessed by A new God who boom tubed the superman in to another reality , his motives are yet to be explained. which is good BTW

The Earth-2 batman was much older and already knew his version of clark.

This whole senario takes place way back in time so neither the original superman and batman know each other

i got this from reading the first time, i don't get why this is so confusing. And 1/5? really? this at LEAST deserves 3, no less than that

Online
Posted by Capn_Carrot

@theacidskull: I understood the idea of what Pak was trying to do with Bruce Wayne undercover in the beginning. It simply isn't well explained (who exactly is he spying on, kids on skateboards?). It just seems like a ridiculous sequence whose sole purpose is to force an awkward meeting between Bruce and Clark.

I also understand the idea of an unexplained entity taking over Catwoman and later Superman, I just didn't think it was all that interesting or (for me) all that well thought out as the character of such power should have been better introduced.

If this was a possessed Clark being sent to Earth-2 (which I've seen others offer as an explanation) it's not well expressed (and isn't Earth-2 Batman dead?). Sorry, I felt the whole sequence was confusing as hell.

And even if that's the case, it still doesn't explain how Batman and Superman met for the first time both here and in Justice League (which the New 52 already stated as fact and is already retconning here).

The concepts (such as they are) aren't well-handled. Am I being too hard on it? Perhaps, as I did like some of the art early on, but I'm also not giving this confusing, jumbling mess, whose story doesn't fit into New 52 continuity at all a free pass. This comic actually made me angry, at that's where the 1 star rating comes from.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

He was in a Public Park, he was trying to get street wise so he knew how criminals think , the kids were specially there to show the contrast between superman and batman, and they could have just been there. Not really a problem.

The new 52 retconned everything, so earth 2 batman not being DEAD is possible, ALSO, this is taking place in the past, so it;s THE PAST for Earth-2 as well. Clark wasn't possessed but i can see why he attacked batman , and he did it WHILE he knew he was depowered. also take into consideration that Superman Just saw a guy who he believed to have terrorized a family.

Greg Pak made it clear that THERE is a reason that Batman and superman DON'T remember they ACTUAL first encounter, which was This.

you are being too harsh i think.

Online