gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

When this series was first announced, many asked if it was necessary. The answer is, "Hell yeah we do!"

With Greg Pak doing his first DC book and with Jae Lee doing the art (along with Ben Oliver in the 'back up'), there's a lot to look forward to. One of the big questions many had (including myself) was how could this be their first meeting if we saw it in JUSTICE LEAGUE #1? Pak makes it work brilliantly and it makes perfect sense.

Back to the question of whether or not we need this series, there is an importance in fleshing out the relationship between these two. We've caught glimpses already of their friendship but never saw how it developed in the New 52. This is where their personalities can be fleshed out a bit since they often come across as too matter-of-fact in their own titles. This could be where they let their guard down a little while taking on incredible odds. And with the story set up here, it opens up a crazy can of worms.

Jae Lee's art is amazing. I can't remember the last time Gotham City was depicted in this fashion. You definitely won't want to visit. The way he draws Batman, Bruce Wayne, Superman, Clark Kent and Catwoman is worth the price of admission. He draws some beautiful and scary scenes at the same time. Ben Oliver's portion looks great as well and continues to build on the feeling generated in the story.

The Bad

I was concerned this might be just a gimmick book with two popular characters featured just to sell books. That concern was blown away as this series is off to a great start.

The Verdict

This is the Batman/Superman book we want and deserve. I had some problems with the later issues of the previous SUPERMAN/BATMAN in the pre-New 52. With Greg Pak, Jae Lee and Ben Oliver on this series, it's like we're being spoiled. We have an intriguing set up with gorgeous visuals. The direction of this first story seems a little crazy but its a nice and ambitious beginning to what looks like a successful new series. This is definitely a book to check out ASAP.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dondave

A very good issue

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue! Still trying to get used to the art though.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

Can't wait to pick this up today!

ObsideonDarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ObsideonDarman

I was a bit apprehensive of the series when it was first announced but the positive reaction to this book has made me add it to my pull list. Looking forward to reading it.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this issue was Incredible!

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I'm probably going to be holding off and reading this in trade, but I'm super happy to see that it's good. Two of my favorite creators on this book was sure to be a win for me.

34g3f3ert3t43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this may be a spoiler-ish question, but how do they explain Batman's "first" meeting with Superman in JL#21?

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Can't wait to read it.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I am happy about this. I know I'm going to like itfor so many reasons, but what I am most looking forward to is Catwoman being in it. But I am going to go ape $ h! T over the Superman/ Wonder Woman title! I love seeing attractive men and women together (especially when they are both leaders of ....well, EVERYTHING!).

Avatar image for blue_lantern_franko
    Blue_Lantern_Franko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n1colaspr1me: This!!! I have been wondering all week as well hmmm

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

kind of confusing story and the art didnt work at all with the tone of the book. 3.5 at most.

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never read something written by Greg Pak, but i can't wait to read this series and this review left me more eager...

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

You didnt mind the different art style ben oliver gave.I do wonder if this means ben and jae lee will be tag teaming. Im little worried Jae lee cant produce monthly if he's already having a co artist with him@g_man

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Can't wait to read it.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

The art is just beautiful!

heelhamlett82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hurry up 3:30 so I can pick up my copy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
    johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

Really looking forward to reading this.

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd probably have gone for 3.5 stars. All right, but kind of flat, lacking good interaction, relying too heavily on interior monologue. Also felt they should have been able to move the plot along more.

The art is outstanding.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

A very good start to Pak's run. Looks like he has something in store for us!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

THE ART *____*

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'll pick it up, I haven't seen Jae Lee draw anything since deathblow.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
    The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So this may be a spoiler-ish question, but how do they explain Batman's "first" meeting with Superman in JL#21?

They haven't yet

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art in this is so great.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't the whole point of this series to focus on the their relationship?

Why is Catwoman around? It seems like a pointless addition, especially if she's possessed. Why establish a new threat via another threat?

I get that Bruce is the 'World's Best Detective' and it's totally something he's capable of, but figuring out Clark's identity this fast felt like a waste. It was something they could've expanded on. It just felt rushed.

However, getting inside each of their heads during the fight as they analyze and deduce their opponents abilities, that was AWESOME!

badaboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dud317: He didn't, at least not our Batman. I assume you're talking about the little encounter near the end. It seems that was Earth 2's Batman, that's why Superman comments on the fact that he's wearing a different costume. This would account for why Batman recognizes him, but Clark still regards him as an enemy.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed it and loved the art.

gbpack089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The story is great if a little slow but as amazing as the art is it does get hard to tell what is happening in some panels.

paralaxsteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was unsure on whether to pick this book up but I'm so glad I did it was such a good book and the art is amazing it has this real gritty almost gothic feel to it and what an opening story I just wish I didn't have to wait a month to read more.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35  Edited By owie  Moderator

The art was AAAAAAMAAAAAAZING.
    I liked Jae Lee some years back but hadn't kept up with him. Impressive.

I didn't understand what the hell happened in the last several pages there but I assume it will all be explained eventually.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Not gonna lie, was a bit confused, maybe @g_man Can clear it up.

Okay, so I understand the beginning where they meet in Gotham. And the part where Batman encounters a possessed(?) Catwoman in Metropolis.

HOWEVER.

Did whatever that was possessing Catwoman hop into Superman? Is that why he's lost track of how he ended up in Smallville? Also, how DID they get there?? And is that Earth 2 Batman???

I loved the art, and the beginning, but the last several pages were confusing as hell, and now I have to wait a month to get answers.

mbembet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh i'm gonna download it via piratebay!!!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

loved it!

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By spinningbirdcake

@the_stegman: I think whatever was possessing Catwoman teleported them to Earth 2. I'm certain the same thing happened to Batman, we just didn't see where he was sent to. Remember Catwoman mentions that they're both gone.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

It's never a good sign when a 1st issue already has art duties split between multiple teams. Even if both art teams are terrific and their is a logical narrative reason for the switch. It just doesn't feel like a good way to welcome your reader into a new series.

I thought this issue got off to a really terrific start with Bruce and Clark (not Batman and Superman) meeting for the first time. From there I felt like the issue really started to fall apart with what seems like a cliche and unnecessarily complicated main villain and a bunch of bizarre Waynetech robo-zombies. But the character writing remained consistent and on point for both stars, and the way Superman interacted with Earth 2 Batman was fun enough to make me return for issue 2. I'm still not sure if I'll stick with this book for the long run yet.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By noj

LOVED this issue. While some of Jae Lee's art can be a bit unclear its still brilliant. I cant wait to see where they go from here.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Liked the first half far more than the latter. Jae Lee rocked this issue. Ben Oliver did a good job with the transitional art. Similar but different, I guess to signify being on another Earth. Probably come back for issue #2. Hope to see more of Clark and Bruce.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read this yet, but I'm ECSTATIC Jae Lee is on a mainstreem title again. He's so pretty. Never expected this tho. He's so noir. I can see him on Batman, but Superman? I can't wait. He's so underrated, and people love his style that other people have ripped off. You can see his influence on Green Arrow, and I,Vampire.

XSpectreGreyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While Lee has some great art (the panels with Bruce on the bench were awesome), his Superman just looks wrong. The writing is good, in that it effectively sets ups the differences between Bruce and Clark, and the story has potential, but it also feels messy in places. I'll at least read until the end of this story arc, and hopefully it's a good story.

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must be insane, but I can't stand Jae Lee's art. Every page I saw just felt like wasted potential. The splash of Superman busting into the apartment to fight Batman was especially bad, Superman looked like he was possessed or dead or something. I'll struggle through the bad art because the story is so interesting, but I'm hoping Jae Lee falls behind and gets replaced soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@badaboop: I read the issue and was confused at that part. If that was a different batman, then what happened to the original batman?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By the_tree

I loved that Bruce was wearing his pre-Batman getup from Year One.

zarrarzeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished reading it and it was amazing!! To anyone who has heard others talk about the artwork being horrible, ignore them. The art is what makes this book. The story is really good too and the characters are developed in a way where you can really understand where they are coming from and why they are acting the way they do. First issues are always difficult to write, but Greg Pak stepped up and delivered as expected. I would have to say 4.5 out of 5

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

This was actually a lot better than I expected. The art is outstanding, as is the plot, although it was a little confusing by the end, but I'm sure we'll get answers in the near future.

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomlikesfries: I agree about the end, I also found it confusing, although it's probably deliberate, at least I hope so. I think it's a good thing to have some unanswered questions after only one issue.

I really hope the next one is better. This issue did have an interesting take on an old story, but this meeting has been told at least a dozen different times in a dozen different ways, was this the best one?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.