I Wish Zsasz Was Dead

AHR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By AHR

(Medium Spoilers for Streets Of Gotham #11)

**Spoiler Space***

So in Streets of Gotham #11, it really looks like Damian Wayne slices Zsasz in half, Darth Maul style.  But he doesn't.  According to the Batbrat, he pulled the deathblow at the last minute and stopped short of severing Zsasz's spince.  That's nice.  But I wish he hadn't, and here's why.

1. Zsasz is a boring villain.  He's the Joker without charm and LOLs.  He's a generically creepy serial killer, and generic is something no Bat villain should be.
     2. I like that Damian is a killer, and has only recently started to believing that bathing in the blood of those who would oppose you is maybe not the thing to do.  I think it would be perfectly natural and in-character for Damian to think that killing Zsasz was acceptable under the circumstances.
    3. Having a Robin kill a major league villian would be a big deal to the Batfam.  Tim would be angry, Dick would be shamed (he's in charge, after all), and when Bruce gets back, you know he'd make Dick feel like a complete failure for letting his insane son wear the mantle of Robin, when it was so obvious something like this would happen.
    4. It would give Tim a good excuse to realize why he needs to get back to being Robin. 

Basically, I think SoG #11 was a great opportunity to get rid of a redundant character in a dramatic way that would give some more dramatic structure to Bruce's return.  I have no idea what they're going to do with Damian when Bruce gets back; I have a feeling he might die, and this makes me sad.  He's a great character BECAUSE he doesn't adhere to the same values and morals as the rest of the Batfam, and that makes him dangerous.  I'd much rather see him as an exiled wild card than a dead good guy. 
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By geraldthesloth

I actually enjoy the tattood Zsasz he's not as boring as you'd think he was, there's plenty of things that set him off far from "generic" like you've said.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sora_thekey

Didn't read this... like I said on your Unscripted vid... 
    Streets of Gotham has too many characters I know nothing about...

But it's good to know that Zsasz is a boring character!

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Decept-O

I have to surprisingly agree with your sentiment regarding Damian; I have realized I love to hate the twerp but it's because he is such a wild card like you say and a bit different that makes him an interesting foil of sorts for the Bat-Family (kind of hate that term but oh well).   

Zsasz..yeah, he needs to go.  Even his code name sucks ath.  Decept-O thinks he's Lame-O.  Sad part is, I don't know if Nolan will consider using the character in Batman 3, I certainly hope they don't but he did show up in the previous film.  I know I digress from the comic topic but I don't think audiences would get too excited about the character in any sense of the word.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.