gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    Get ready for a Batman story different from what you've read before. 

The Good 

First of all, look at the list of creators: Ron Marz writing, Bernie Wrightson pencilng, Kevin Nowlan inking and Alex Sinclair doing the colors. It's an impressive list. Hopefully you are familiar with Bernie Wrightson's work. If not, you'll be in for an amazing treat. What we have here is a story told with full illustrations while Ron Marz provides the text for the story off to the side. You get to fully appreciate the intricate details of the art while getting a mini-novel of a story about Batman and Solomon Grundy.  The inks and colors compliment this remarkably and you really get a Batman story that you haven't seen hundreds of times.  

There's also a really cool reprint of Bernie Wrightson's Swamp Thing #7 from 1973, written by Len Wein with new colors by Alex Sinclair. Of course it has Batman in it as well and it's a great story. 

The Bad 

Nothing. 

The Verdict - 5/5 

This was truly a "treasure." I understand that the $4.99 price tag might throw some people off but it's a thick book with a load of content. The Ron Marz/Bernie Wrightson story is not your typical story and will take you a little longer to read. The second story simply adds to the length of the book. Do yourself a favor and pick this book up for a nice change of pace in a Batman story.    
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Oh, why did I pass this up at the comic store?  I could have asked them to hold it.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

Coming back for it next week. Didn't have the cash this time around.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By chalkshark

This is the book I'd hoped Neal Adams Batman:Odyssey would be. It's a real shame that this is just a one-shot.  It was also nice to revisit the old Swamp Thing, as that character, for good or ill, pretty much ceased to exist once Alan Moore started writing the title. Think I'm going to try to add those old Swamp Thing issues to my collection.

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Pizawle

Was tempted but ultimately passed.

Maybe next week.

Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Nyogtha

I'm amazed by it and I haven't read it yet. Every comic shop in my area is sold out of it before 4, luckily I have a good relationship with my main shop and they found an extra one in the store. Good luck finding it.

mbembet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By mbembet

it's Bruce of course i'll buy it

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Silkcuts

great review again Mr. G-Man.  My only problem is the marketing behind this.  I know Swamp Thing is coming back to the DCU and I can't stop it, but Moore's Swamp Thing is better then Wein's and its Wein's Swamp Thing that is really the DCU Swamp Thing.  DC should of left Alec in Vertigo and created a DCU swamp thing with different continuity. Having the Wein Swamp Thing story does show the roots of Swampy, but Swampy has grown so much at Vertigo and is nothing like this Swampy presented.

I loved that this was a book stolen from Lucien's Library. I hope we can steal more books from Lucien when his back is turned.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Eyz

Woah! Nice!
    Didn't knew about this one!

teewillis1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By teewillis1981

Oh man, do I ever agree. I just had the pleasure of reading this last night, what a treat! Beautiful art, incredible story. Swamp Thing meets Batman meets Solomon Grundy...freaking amazing!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.