Follow

Batman Eternal

Volume »

The New 52's first weekly series starring Batman and his large cast of supporting characters, both friend and foe.

Batman Eternal #39

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

There are a lot of great things that the Hushstoryline did, both in terms of telling a great story and setting up characters in new and interesting ways, but perhaps no one benefited from that more than the Riddler. Relegated to joke status after years of being the criminal who telegraphed his crimes, he was reborn as a cocky, quick-witted mastermind capable of putting one over even on the Dark Knight. So when it looked like he was going to be the mastermind of BATMAN ETERNAL, it was actually a bit disappointing. It felt like a rehash not only of that storyline, and that it was going back to the well so soon on Scott Snyder’sZero Year, another tale of Riddler masterminding a plot, though with its own substantial differences from this and Hush. HOWEVER! It seems the man of a million questions has an entirely different role to play, and the way that Snyder, along with James Tynion IV, Kyle Higgins, Ray Fawkes and Tim Seeley introduce and reveal that fact is worthy of some very, very high praise. Bats tracks Nygma and while we see glimpses of his supporting cast, it’s mostly Batman and the very-quickly-finding-her-footing Penny-Two. The fact that this is a Batman bereft of almost all his gadgets and tech only makes the issue more intense and effective, reminding us that the clothes truly do not make the man in this case. It’s great seeing Bats rely more on skill and cunning than having an everything-repellent-spray in his belt of tricks. We do get to see what the rounded up Arkham escapees have been up to and, far more terrifyingly, where they’re headed next. We also get to see Vicki Vale coping with the betrayal of Jason Bard the best way for an ace reporter to cope. The subplots are excellent and don’t detract from the main storyline of Bats winding and weaving through Riddler’s various ploys and, in fact, they add even more intrigue to wherever the book winds up going after this.

Felix Ruiz provides the linework and perfectly captures the desperate tone of this book with jagged, wild visuals, highlighting the issue’s frantic pace. While the panels move along at a brisk pace, the layout never loses nor becomes incomprehensible, and that’s an important balance to strike. Dave McCaig’s colors are dark and dingy, even when Batman travels to the snowy mountainous headquarters of his quarry. The snow itself looks darkened, and that’s a neat, very evocative effect.

The Bad

It’s an incredible thing to say about a weekly book, but I really can’t think of much wrong with this issue. There’s a very minor plot quibble about the lack of security around so many high-profile Arkham escapees leading to a rather inevitable outcome, but that’s a very minor point.

The Verdict

Act 3 of this book, if it wasn’t already introduced, is surely in full-swing now. We’re coming up on the beginning of the end and there are still a few tantalizingly teased out mysteries to solve as well as a few more hanging threads to tie up. This book has been a perfect example of controlled chaos: seemingly disparate parts coming together in organic, interesting ways. This book wins the unofficial award for Biggest Surprise of 2014 and I STILL, after 39 rapid-fire issues, can’t wait to see how it all ends.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
    obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hush is a really bad over rated story that doesn't really work as a mystery.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My only problem is with the name "Penny-two"

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
    obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm putting my money on Prometheus being behind this.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By JewishDork

I have been telling the guys in my comic shop (Fourth World Comics) that I think the master mind is Bruce's "brother" who revealed himself at the end of the Court of Owls storyline.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@jewishdork: court of owls maybe behind this since their organization is all but been destroyed plus bruce has Sebastian clark in custody

batarangbamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By batarangbamz

@jewishdork said:

I have been telling the guys in my comic shop (Fourth World Comics) that I think the master mind is Bruce's "brother" who revealed himself at the end of the Court of Owls storyline.

I've kinda figured the same thing. Him or Thomas that escaped at the end of forever evil. He did run Earth-3 Gotham. But that owl on the cover is very telling.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
    The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jewishdork: Ive thought the same thing. Especially since in Batman in the first Endgame issue Bruce is shown to have set up base in Lincoln Marchs Talon safe house

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art in this issue was a hell of alot better then the last two. As for who's behind this?? Maybe joker... yes i know he's the villian in endgame,but he has been on a real long Hiatus.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By HumanRocket

That ending was really sad though. First time this book actually got to me emotionally like that.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TDK_1997

As much as I am really happy that the Riddler isn't the big mastermind behind all of this, I am disappointed at the same time as well. I am disappointed because now everything seems like the whole creative team of writers is going around the same spot all over again for the 4th time I think. First it was Falcone, then it was Bard, then it was Hush and now it seemed like it was Edward Nygma but it wasn't him. If they do this whole thing one more time - they will ruin the whole book and story for me completely.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Batman Eternal,the series where nothing happens,and when it does it still feels like nothing happens. This story blew up Arkham,made Bruce go bankrupt,turned Catwoman in to a mob boss, turned Wayne Manor in to mental asylum and yet I not for once found myself caring one bit. It's a good thing Arkham Manor and Catwoman are good books cause Eternal didn't do them justice at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.