Follow

Batman Eternal

Volume »

The New 52's first weekly series starring Batman and his large cast of supporting characters, both friend and foe.

Batman Eternal #35

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

One of the reasons it was so difficult to write a truly compelling, true-to-form Hush storyline after his absolutely explosive introduction seems to have been because his plans are so layered and nuanced that trying to compress them into a standard-length arc became nearly impossible and trying to integrate him into another storyline defanged him. Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV, Ray Fawkes, Kyle Higgins and Tim Seeley seem to have done the impossible by combining the two flaws into one giant positive. Since BATMAN ETERNAL is so long-form with a team of consistent writers that the character actually winds up fitting in perfectly. This issue is another jumping-on point, taking place after Hush’s masterwork has seemingly unfurled to its fullest extent (though even THAT can’t be fully counted on) and Wayne Enterprises is in big trouble for its weapon caches hidden throughout Gotham that the villain detonated. This issue is a Batman-heavy one and the fact that that requires highlighting is one of the reasons I love this book: sure Bats’ name is on the cover, but it casts a net over the entire Bat-Family. So when an issue like this comes out, it’s actually refreshing and cool. Julia Pennyworth is fitting in nicely in her support position, despite her new “roommate” in the cave, and Vicki Vale doing some hard-hitting investigative reporting that turns up at least one shocking fact about Commissioner Bard. It’s interesting to see Bruce Wayne begin to crack, even losing bits of his support network, and how that does inevitably affect Batman. We get a Bats who’s been pushed to his mental breaking point and might be nearer to a breakdown than he’d care to admit. Hush and Bard both remain incredibly compelling and well-written, both with their own motives and even their own plans.

Fernando Blanco’s linework is pitch-perfect for this issue. Giving us hard, defined lines and jagged character designs that communicate the mental and physical stress that these characters are under. Marcelo Maiolo’s colors look like they’re about to explode out of the lines, and the visuals seem to almost shake with tension and potential energy. This is a very, very dark book from a visual standpoint and even when it’s morning, there’s a kind of pall over the panels and pages that informs the tone and the fact that many of the characters are hitting low, low points.

The Bad

In the middle of an issue, a trap is sprung on Batman in the Batmobile and he continues to go with it far, far longer than it feels like he should. Unless it’s all part of the plan, there’s no good reason to keep Batman in the Batmobile and if it’s all part of the plan, he should probably let Julia in on what that plan IS because then we get into the territory of trying to trick the reader rather than have the characters behaving organically.

The Verdict

The main problem with this book has a number of decent resolutions, making it a minor problem overall and the rest of the book is well-executed from top-to-bottom. As a jumping-on point it establishes the stakes and the state of Gotham with extreme economy, avoiding the problems of a holding pattern, and allowing it to function as an issue that fans of the series can get plenty out of.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Glad I decided to buy this for my brother

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Crazy thing. There's a Batman Eternal sale on comixology this week, but only the first three issues are in this sale. Everything else in the sale is non-related Batfamily books, mostly from before the new 52! I was bummed as I was hoping to use the sale to get a little further into the series than issue 3.

Sirzechs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wardishy: Isn't the trade out now? with the first 20 issues

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirzechs: Not sure. I mainly read digitally.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
    Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best issue of the week so far. I'm really loving this title for the past month. Now that they stopped with the other five side story lines they can just focus on the main good one.

cerial442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

My issue had a weird printing error. The same pages printed 5 or 6 times.

I don't think I missed any of the story. How did the issue end? I think I saw the ending, but afterwards it went back to the Batmobile being trapped in the net.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By righteous300

@wardishy: Yeah it was a bit misleading. I was expecting at least 5-10 issues to be 99 cents or something.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

No but seriously, why isn't the British Army hunting down Julia?

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

The time jump in this issue was a little jarring, but I suppose it makes sense given the end of last week's issue.

I read the trap as Bruce not wanting to abandon any more of his equipment to Bard, so he stayed in an attempt to keep control.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ive been staying away. But since i fell in love with the new catwoman, gotham by midnight and the latest issue of batman.............. I gotta go catch up on this. I think il just buy the last 5 issues

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

This was surprisingly an amazing issue. I really didn't think that the issue would be that good and I would have no problems with it. I really like the direction the book is taking and what is happening with Wayne Enterprises and the whole cast of the book. We all know that evntually Batman will get it all back but it is nice to see how he handles things when they are really tight.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In think I will get this.

Avatar image for barstoolprophet
    BarstoolProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BarstoolProphet

Best weekly since 52. It's had it's "slow" moments, I suppose, but to me it feels like those moments are often planting seeds to be harvested down the line, or focusing on characters and situations I'm not as invested in as others (which is to be expected in a large cast book)...... pacing wise, it's a nearly impossible task to have non stop action and story with a little character development here and there consistently for a monthly title, let alone a weekly. Applause, gentlemen. I continue to look forward to this, and how it will all play out....and becoming acutely aware of the diminishing issues remaining....

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Loved it!

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This title continues to be amazing each and every week! Can't make up my mind which I like most between Batman Eternal, Batman, and Batman and Robin. All three are awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.